What are you reading?

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
mockbee

Re: What are you reading?

#221 Post by mockbee » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:42 am

I'm reading this:

Cuba. A History by Hugh Thomas
From award-winning historian Hugh Thomas, Cuba: A History is the essential work for understanding one of the most fascinating and controversial countries in the world.

Hugh Thomas's acclaimed book explores the whole sweep of Cuban history from the British capture of Havana in 1762 through the years of Spanish and United States domination, down to the twentieth century and the extraordinary revolution of Fidel Castro.

Throughout this period of over two hundred years, Hugh Thomas analyses the political, economic and social events that have shaped Cuban history with extraordinary insight and panache, covering subjects ranging from sugar, tobacco and education to slavery, war and occupation.

Encyclopaedic in range and breathtaking in execution, Cuba is surely one of the seminal works of world history.

I started in Sept and only a quarter way through.
It's a thousand page tomb, dense text with a dozen footnotes per page. Some nights I go negative pages because it's been a week and I want to reorient myself with what I read. :no:

But, overall great read! :thumb: ....There will be a celebration when I finish. :lol:

mockbee

#222 Post by mockbee » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:49 am

I really want to finish this damn book because my stack of new ones I am eager to read is getting big. I'm set for at least several years because Wilderness and the American Mind and Democracy in America will take me a year each to read... :lol:

perkana

#223 Post by perkana » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:23 pm

The documentary is really good. And it has a happy ending. I'm addicted to this stuff.

mockbee

#224 Post by mockbee » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:01 pm

A Man Without a Country is an essay collection published in 2005 by the author Kurt Vonnegut. The essays deal with topics ranging from the importance of humor, to problems with modern technology, to Vonnegut's opinions on the differences between men and women.

Just finished this. Took about two weeks, reading a couple minutes before bed. Very good, published just before Vonnegut died. He would be appalled, and probably die of a broken heart if he knew about Trump. ..... :wavesad:

Now back to the Cuba tomb..... :balls:

Probably this first though......excited to read this. :cool:

The Sellout

A biting satire about a young man's isolated upbringing and the race trial that sends him to the Supreme Court, Paul Beatty's The Sellout showcases a comic genius at the top of his game. It challenges the sacred tenets of the United States Constitution, urban life, the civil rights movement, the father-son relationship, and the holy grail of racial equality: the black Chinese restaurant.

Born in the "agrarian ghetto" of Dickens—on the southern outskirts of Los Angeles—the narrator of The Sellout resigns himself to the fate of lower-middle-class Californians: "I'd die in the same bedroom I'd grown up in, looking up at the cracks in the stucco ceiling that've been there since the '68 quake."

chaos

#225 Post by chaos » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:31 am

mockbee wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:01 pm

A Man Without a Country is an essay collection published in 2005 by the author Kurt Vonnegut. The essays deal with topics ranging from the importance of humor, to problems with modern technology, to Vonnegut's opinions on the differences between men and women.

Just finished this. Took about two weeks, reading a couple minutes before bed. Very good, published just before Vonnegut died. He would be appalled, and probably die of a broken heart if he knew about Trump. ..... :wavesad:

If you are a big Vonnegut fan, Charles Shields's biography is a must read. Although it's long, it's a page turner.

mockbee

#226 Post by mockbee » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:52 pm

I am not really a fan of Vonnegut writing, the man for sure, but I tolerate the writing.
:thumb:

Breakfast of Champions I loved theoretically but took me forever to complete because I always got bored.
:lol:

Def will check out that book though. The dresden experience would be fascinating.

:tiphat:

chaos

#227 Post by chaos » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:41 pm

^Yeah, I've only read Cat's Cradle. You do not need to be a fan or have read any of his work to enjoy Shields's biography. It's that good. Vonnegut was a complicated/flawed person. On the one hand I gained some respect for him based on the fact that he came from a privileged background and chose to enlist and join the war as a soldier. On the other hand, he did not treat people well and is unlikeable. (Btw - V's experience in Dresden is compelling.)

nausearockpig

#228 Post by nausearockpig » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:42 pm

I read this series the other day, fucking love Mark Millar’s work.

Xizen47

#229 Post by Xizen47 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:00 am

Just started "Ask the Dust" by John Fante and ran into some familiar words-

"Los Angeles, give me some of you! Los Angeles come to me the way I came to you, my feet over your streets, you pretty town I loved you so much, you sad flower in the sand, you pretty town".

Had to break out the Deconstructon album for the 1st time in over a decade :rockon:

parklife03

#230 Post by parklife03 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:10 am

I'm reading 22/11/63 by Stephen King (or 11/22/63 if you are from North America, lol). It's going very well.

I'm actually trying to read all his books. So far I have read 32, but he just keeps releasing more and more. It's a nice challenge, as I love his writing.

chaos

#231 Post by chaos » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:30 am

I have read several books revolving around the Trump presidency and I have enjoyed Schmidt's book the most (3/4 through it). This one is worth your time.

mockbee

#232 Post by mockbee » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:08 pm

Just got this in the mail - not that I need any more books on the shelf to read....

But, really looking forward to it. :cool:

Right up my alley - 1000 page tomb that will take me years to finish... :neutral:

Has anyone read Michener? Like him?