He'll Think it's Decent
61%
He'll Think it's Terrible
25%

Total votes: 28

Kajicat

What Will Eric Avery Think of TGEA?

#1 Post by Kajicat » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:31 pm

I'm thinking Eric will hear how "dark and edgy" the album turned out and think, "Damn...maybe I should have tried a little harder to stick it out".

My 2 cents :tiphat:

Jasper

Re: What Will Eric Avery Think of TGEA?

#2 Post by Jasper » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:38 pm

You didn't include a "he won't give a flying fuck" option. :neutral:

Larry B.

#3 Post by Larry B. » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:39 pm

Not that I'm his best friend or anything...

But I'm guessing he won't be too impressed. And he'd definitely not regret having stepped aside.

JOEinPHX

#4 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:40 pm

When asked about Strays, didn't he say that he hadn't heard anything but the singles that were on K rock?

He might not even listen to it.

imail724

#5 Post by imail724 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:41 pm

Jasper wrote:You didn't include a "he won't give a flying fuck" option. :neutral:
Stole the words right out of my mouth (no pun intended)

Larry B.

#6 Post by Larry B. » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:42 pm

He said he had listened to it and that it was an ok standard rock record :noclue:

bman

#7 Post by bman » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:48 pm

Well he inspired End to the Lies..and maybe Hit You BAck! Avery loves Blonde RedHead type of music. I bet he'd like this.

blackula

#8 Post by blackula » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:51 pm

Although I like it, and the general opinions on this board have been positive, it's still tainted by Sitek's involvement. I think if EA heard the album, being a main contributor to Jane's 1.0, he'd understand the help they received in the songwriting department which would probably alter his opinion. Or he doesn't give a shit.

bman

#9 Post by bman » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:52 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:When asked about Strays, didn't he say that he hadn't heard anything but the singles that were on K rock?

He might not even listen to it.

He told Navaroo on CAmp Freddy Radio that Strays " didn't really sound like a Janes Addiction Record."

blackula

#10 Post by blackula » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:52 pm

bman wrote:Well he inspired End to the Lies..and maybe Hit You BAck! Avery loves Blonde RedHead type of music. I bet he'd like this.
lol, I was thinking that too, about hit you back.

Jasper

#11 Post by Jasper » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:54 pm

Since it was brought up, here's Eric Avery, on Strays:
"I heard it on KROQ a couple of times. To me, that sort of sums it up. It’s just a rock record that you hear on KROQ every once in a while. They’re not going to be defining any generations by that record-let’s put it that way."
I don't think he's going to spend a lot of time listening to or thinking about this album. I don't think he's the type to do so. I'd have to imagine that if he got stranded on a desert island with only TGEA and Strays, he'd probably show a moderate preference for TGEA.

I bet he'd think this thread is dumb. :nod: :noclue:

Deconstruction

#12 Post by Deconstruction » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:56 pm

Kajicat wrote:I'm thinking Eric will hear how "dark and edgy" the album turned out and think, "Damn...maybe I should have tried a little harder to stick it out".

My 2 cents :tiphat:
Eric really should have stuck it out, Perry showed on TGEA he's still got something left in the tank which ended up proving Eric wrong, imagine if they worked with Eric on new music? The album could have been a classic, and we already have a really solid album on our hands that I'm thankful for even without Eric. I understand that Perry's very difficult to work with (the Reznor sessions), but Eric should have given it another shot when Perry asked him in late 2009/early 2010 to stick around and make a new album. Especially after waiting nearly 2 years to finally get a committed start. Wouldn't it be more worth it to do that than to dick around on his laptop making noise for the rest of his life? I love Eric, but it's a shame he couldn't work out his issues with Perry. Even an album with Perry, Dave, and Steve that doesn't compare the the original is better than anything he'll ever make on his own, Eric's issue was he kept trying to compare modern Jane's to old Jane's, and you really can't look at it like that or your expectations will never be met.

What will Eric's thoughts on the album be? I think if he hears the full album (rather than just IF or ETTL) he'd probably be surprised, he could end up just hearing those though and judging the whole album based on them.

Eric B.

#13 Post by Eric B. » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:13 pm

I agree with Deconstruction. TGEA is an album Eric wouldn't be embarrassed by if he was a part of it. It's a great record who holds his own compared to the legacy.

Saying that.....this album probably wouldn't have been like this if he was involved. Clearly the juices weren't flowing between the four of 'em.

I say: Let the music do the talking. Judged by that it's 1:0 for Perry, Dave & Steve at the moment

Pillar Girl

#14 Post by Pillar Girl » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:21 pm

as much as i adore Eric Avery, i think him doing the interview with Sonny was a bad idea, which basically burned any
remaining hopes of working with the band, all that should have been kept in-house.

as for the band, they still have some left in the tank as it shows with this new record, and no matter what Eric may do solo,
it will never compare to his work with the 3 others of JA, maybe in the back of his mind he knows this, or just doesnt care
and wants to do his own thing for self satisfaction, weather people like it or not outside his circle of friends, it wont ever
compare, not even to this latest record by the guys.

we wish you the best Eric, and no matter how hard Perry might be to work with, but you blew it dude.

~Pilla

Pandemonium

#15 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:32 pm

Deconstruction wrote:Eric really should have stuck it out, Perry showed on TGEA he's still got something left in the tank which ended up proving Eric wrong, imagine if they worked with Eric on new music?
I don't think this album proves that Perry has or had anything left in the tank, more that the band or at least Dave does. Perry is by far the weak link on this album and I think overall adding everything up, he detracts more than adds to the album. I think if they had followed what appeared to have been Eric's original idea and recorded a full album with Reznor producing, that album would have come out immeasurably better then TGEA has.

Jasper

#16 Post by Jasper » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:47 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Deconstruction wrote:Eric really should have stuck it out, Perry showed on TGEA he's still got something left in the tank which ended up proving Eric wrong, imagine if they worked with Eric on new music?
I don't think this album proves that Perry has or had anything left in the tank, more that the band or at least Dave does. Perry is by far the weak link on this album and I think overall adding everything up, he detracts more than adds to the album. I think if they had followed what appeared to have been Eric's original idea and recorded a full album with Reznor producing, that album would have come out immeasurably better then TGEA has.
I don't think it's true that Perry detracts from the album. He sounds good. He sounds incredible on Underground. In some places he comes up with some vocal melodies that elevate passages which wouldn't have been all that interesting otherwise. to what I think he rose to the occasion, and that probably would never have happened without the kick in the pants that was Eric's departure.

Essence_Smith

#17 Post by Essence_Smith » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:57 pm

Pillar Girl wrote:as much as i adore Eric Avery, i think him doing the interview with Sonny was a bad idea, which basically burned any
remaining hopes of working with the band, all that should have been kept in-house.

as for the band, they still have some left in the tank as it shows with this new record, and no matter what Eric may do solo,
it will never compare to his work with the 3 others of JA, maybe in the back of his mind he knows this, or just doesnt care
and wants to do his own thing for self satisfaction, weather people like it or not outside his circle of friends, it wont ever
compare, not even to this latest record by the guys.

we wish you the best Eric, and no matter how hard Perry might be to work with, but you blew it dude.

~Pilla
I have to respectfully disagree with most of what you've said here...as far as his decision to clear the air or give his side of the story I'm glad he did. Not because I wanted to know his p.o.v. so we could gossip about it, but because of the fact that he largely remained silent over the years and chose to go the route of addressing his opinions by way of going to a fansite where the fans were prolly the most devoted, etc...if you remember part of the reason he even chose to go back was because of the fans wanting him to come back...as far as him having "blown" it, thats kinda nuts imo...he gave it another chance, and did another tour and regardless of who we personally feel is to blame or whatever it didn't work out. I doubt he cares what the others choose to do and I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that he's not out there somewhere hoping they flop...as he said on his blog...he's put JA back on the shelf where he had em...he gave it another try to see for his own sake (and for the fans who wanted him back in) and it didnt work...

Larry B.

#18 Post by Larry B. » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:06 pm

If this album exists and it's any good at all, it's precisely because Eric isn't in it.

Not saying at all that Eric would ruin it; it's just that with Eric on board, Perry would've been too lazy/butt-hurt to allow the 'new album' project to come to fruition.

Essence_Smith

#19 Post by Essence_Smith » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:50 pm

Yeah I think EA leaving and people not thinking they could do it without him inspired them...it definitely wouldn't have worked out the same way if he somehow managed to stay...but who knows, and who cares?

imail724

#20 Post by imail724 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:53 pm

Well I think if Eric had just stuck around, that would mean giving in to Perry's demands and not being allowed to put his input into the record if Perry didn't like it. In which case, they might as well just have had Chaney on bass.

kv

#21 Post by kv » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:54 pm

i don't think eric will think of tgea

Essence_Smith

#22 Post by Essence_Smith » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:55 pm

They got used to the bass player being a silent partner as opposed to a person who was willing to take a leadership role...they've been calling themselves JA off and on from 97 to 2011...far longer than EA was actually involved...it was hard for Perry to swallow I guess...

Pillar Girl

#23 Post by Pillar Girl » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:19 pm

I have to respectfully disagree with most of what you've said here...as far as his decision to clear the air or give his side of the story I'm glad he did. Not because I wanted to know his p.o.v. so we could gossip about it, but because of the fact that he largely remained silent over the years and chose to go the route of addressing his opinions by way of going to a fansite where the fans were prolly the most devoted, etc...if you remember part of the reason he even chose to go back was because of the fans wanting him to come back...as far as him having "blown" it, thats kinda nuts imo...he gave it another chance, and did another tour and regardless of who we personally feel is to blame or whatever it didn't work out. I doubt he cares what the others choose to do and I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that he's not out there somewhere hoping they flop...as he said on his blog...he's put JA back on the shelf where he had em...he gave it another try to see for his own sake (and for the fans who wanted him back in) and it didnt work...
no matter what we may feel as fans, its not our opinion either way, weather that makes a good record, or he is involved.

all i was saying is that by him going public with in-house matters, only made things more dire to the public perception of the band.
was that needed? probably not, we already knew enough, i didn't need Eric going onto youtube and slamming Perry, nor am i taking
sides, it just showed the pettiness of the whole issue from both sides sadly, as Eric is much to blame as anyone for it not working.

weather he chose to be silent was his choice, and he had every right to speak out, but again, it was just bad taste, i never saw
anything with Perry, Dave or Steven going that route about other band members publicly, again...none of this matters, because
we as fans don't own the music, sure we pay for the record, live shows, but they are the sole creators of these projects.

as for Eric having any interest in the current JA, i don't care really to be honest, i love the record, as many do here it seems,
and at the end of the day, its what each of us think individually that counts, not a former bass player.

i still love Eric, i think he's one of the most amazing musicians ever to pick up the 4-string, and im also proud the other 3 kept
it going for more music, with or without him, they still did it, and from what im hearing, it wasn't too bad without him.

~Pilla

Kajicat

#24 Post by Kajicat » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:52 pm

Jasper wrote:I bet he'd think this thread is dumb. :nod: :noclue:
I don't give a fuck what Eric thinks about this thread - I'm asking ANR members to speculate what Eric's reaction will be to the sound of this album. :wink:

imail724 wrote:Well I think if Eric had just stuck around, that would mean giving in to Perry's demands and not being allowed to put his input into the record if Perry didn't like it. In which case, they might as well just have had Chaney on bass.
Not necessarily. We all know Dave was in the studio the most during the TGEA sessions and had a lot of control over how the album sounded musically. Some fans are even saying this is "Dave's album". Perry put faith in Dave to take care of the music, while he took care of the lyrics and vocal melodies. I think if Eric actually decided to stick with the band a bit longer it could have been Eric and Dave in the studio taking care of the music and Perry just being Perry (focusing on lyrics/emailing them the vocal tracks or whatever).

CaseyContrarian

#25 Post by CaseyContrarian » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:42 pm

Kajicat wrote:
Jasper wrote:I bet he'd think this thread is dumb. :nod: :noclue:
I don't give a fuck what Eric thinks about this thread - I'm asking ANR members to speculate what Eric's reaction will be to the sound of this album. :wink:

imail724 wrote:Well I think if Eric had just stuck around, that would mean giving in to Perry's demands and not being allowed to put his input into the record if Perry didn't like it. In which case, they might as well just have had Chaney on bass.
Not necessarily. We all know Dave was in the studio the most during the TGEA sessions and had a lot of control over how the album sounded musically. Some fans are even saying this is "Dave's album". Perry put faith in Dave to take care of the music, while he took care of the lyrics and vocal melodies. I think if Eric actually decided to stick with the band a bit longer it could have been Eric and Dave in the studio taking care of the music and Perry just being Perry (focusing on lyrics/emailing them the vocal tracks or whatever).
Don't tease us like that!