Dave Discusses New Album / Guitar World

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
cursed male

Dave Discusses New Album / Guitar World

#1 Post by cursed male » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:11 am

Interview: Dave Navarro Discusses New Jane's Addiction Album, 'The Great Escape Artist'
12 October 2011

Back in the late Eighties, Jane’s Addiction burst onto the scene with two massively influential records, 1988’s Nothing’s Shocking and 1990’s Ritual de lo Habitual. Hit singles like “Been Caught Stealing,” “Jane Says” and “Stop!” delivered a unique blend of metal and art rock to the masses and helped set the sonic standard for the alternative Nineties.

But over the years, the band was beset by raging egos, drug abuse and infighting, resulting in a revolving cast of bassists, periodic breakups and one lukewarm studio album, 2003’s Strays. Now the band—which includes founding singer Perry Farrell, guitarist Dave Navarro and drummer Stephen Perkins—has reconvened once again for The Great Escape Artist, an album that by all accounts may return Jane’s to their former glory.

In the following Q&A — taken from our full Jane’s Addiction interview in our December issue, on sale now — Navarro weighs in on the finer points of The Great Escape Artist.

There’s been quite a break since the last Jane’s record. Has your approach to guitar changed in that time?

Well, as a rock-and-roll, soloing guitar player I’ve pretty much maximized what I can do. I’m not the type of player to sit home and practice scales and work on runs. I love that stuff, but I know myself and I just won't do it. At this point if I’m spending time with a guitar I’d rather write something than work on technique. It’s arguably a downfall for me, but on the flipside it allows me to work on music. I wish I was a shredder that could play everything, but I don’t have the patience. So I guess this time I was more concerned with space, layering and creating beds and atmospheres than soloing techniques.

You do pull out a few gems, though, like the fluid lead on “Underground.”

The truth is that I was really resistant to putting any solos on this record. But [producer] Rich Costey and Perry were both pushing me. So, the solo that ended up on “Underground” was longer than I originally wanted. Basically there’s two times around where I wanted it to end but they forced me to continue into that fast riffing. I guess I felt the initial melody sounded more like something from The Spiders from Mars [David Bowie’s backing band from the early Seventies], especially with the doubled-guitar, Randy Rhoads–style lines. It’s a little dissonant and it works. That said, when we play it live I’ll probably extend that solo even more. I love to solo live, because we’re having a blast onstage and it’s all about the moment.

On “Irresistible Force” your guitar is definitely a focal point, but it’s arranged in such a way that it never takes away from the song.

That song came together in the studio. It’s probably the most disconnected in terms of how it was written, which is strange because it sounds the most like a Jane’s track. I grabbed an acoustic guitar, found a tempo with a click, went into the room with a mic and I just played it. I didn’t write it. I just intuitively came up with all the parts. But I didn’t really know what it was going to turn into, sonically. Then Stephen and Dave Sitek tracked a rhythm to what I played. I had this melody in my head for a keyboard part, which I wanted to sound like an early Joy Division song. So Dave Sitek found a patch that fit. Then we sent it off to Perry as an MP3. The amazing thing about Perry is that he recorded the vocals at his house and sent it back the next day. And that’s what’s on the record. That song pretty much came together in a day’s time.

Have you guys collaborated like that on past records?

No. It’s never been that collective. In fact, on the last record [Strays] nobody was around when I tracked guitars, which I liked back then. But this time, the whole point was to do stuff I don’t normally do. And it turned out great.

A signature element of Jane’s sound is the great rhythmic interplay between Stephen’s drums and your guitars. Can you talk about where those rhythms are coming from?

The tribal thing goes way back for us. One of Stephen’s strengths and weaknesses is that for the life of him he cannot play a simple drumbeat. It’s amazing to me. He cannot play four bars of a drumbeat twice, without it being different. [laughs] He doesn’t want to do a standard drum-time thing, he wants to do something unique. So when the song will call for kick, hat and snare [sequence]. He won’t play the hat or he won’t play the snare, because that’s what everyone would expect him to play. That’s always been our thing. Even on the intro to “Irresistible Force” he’s playing the rhythm on the rim of a snare. I didn’t expect that. So even though a certain song may be crafted and written by me, when Stephen approaches the part…well, that’s what makes the band, the band.

There’s been a lot of press about the contribution from TV On the Radio’s Dave Sitek on the album. Now that Sitek’s back with TVOTR, Chris Chaney has been touring with you. Is he in the band now?

I think of Chris as always having been in the band. The only reason he wasn’t on our last tour was because [original bassist] Eric [Avery] came back. I also play with Chris in my cover band Camp Freddy, so we still played together all the time. Anyway, for this album, he was really the glue that brought all these ideas together. Perry and I are both high-register musicians, and not very grounded. Like Stephen with the drums, we never do the same thing twice either. If Perry and I could be in a studio and turn knobs forever, I think we would. Chris is the guy that takes all of our tweaked elements and glues them together.

Seems like the band is in a pretty healthy place.

As far as the internal structure of the band goes, we’ve never been on more solid ground. I think that’s because of the fact that we all have our own interests and lives outside of Jane’s. That actually allows the band to breathe and have more life, because we’re not all sucking from it because it’s the only thing that matters. In a weird way, when you make it the only thing that matters it sucks out some of the life force. Perry’s got his electronic music and DJ stuff. He and Stephen both have families…and I’m pretty psyched I’m the guy who doesn’t. [laughs] It’s just not my thing…but I definitely have a lot of other things to keep me busy.

Also, we’ve never blown up to the point where people would tire of us. We’ve never sold the amount of records as most of the people on your magazine’s cover did. We’ve never been connected to a genre of music, other than alternative, like grunge that blew up and then dissipated. So as a result of that we’ve never gotten enormously successful, and we’ve also taken extended breaks. But the thing is I would rather be moderately successful for a long period of time than hugely successful for a short period of time.

For more of this interview, check out the December issue of GW, which is available now at the Guitar World Online Store.

http://www.guitarworld.com/interview-da ... ape-artist

Warped

Re: Dave Discusses New Album / Guitar World

#2 Post by Warped » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:36 am

Thanks for putting that up, i looked for that for some days.
Nice pictures also.... :thumb:

JOEinPHX

#3 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:44 am

i really wish "journalists" today would stop asking the same 5 questions.

Some of them do a little homework on who they are interviewing, so why not take the time to read the last 3 interviews they did as well, so you don't travel on the same ground?

It's lazy to keep asking about the 91 fights, the drugs, or Eric. It's lazy to ask about the bass player "situation"

We should organize our own Q and A with Dave. Maybe come up with some non-personal questions that don't delve into the past or how he came up with the new songs.

Warped

#4 Post by Warped » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:51 am

Good idea with the q&a - someone ask him.

cursed male

#5 Post by cursed male » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:25 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:i really wish "journalists" today would stop asking the same 5 questions.

Some of them do a little homework on who they are interviewing, so why not take the time to read the last 3 interviews they did as well, so you don't travel on the same ground?

It's lazy to keep asking about the 91 fights, the drugs, or Eric. It's lazy to ask about the bass player "situation"

We should organize our own Q and A with Dave. Maybe come up with some non-personal questions that don't delve into the past or how he came up with the new songs.
That's not the whole interview... And besides anyone with the oppoturnity to have a chat with Dave wants to talk about the band's legendary good ol' days.

NYRexall

#6 Post by NYRexall » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:31 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
How about "Why the hell were you guys in the studio jamming on impulse while Perry was elsewhere phoning in his vocal tracks?"

JOEinPHX

#7 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:09 am

NYRexall wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
How about "Why the hell were you guys in the studio jamming on impulse while Perry was elsewhere phoning in his vocal tracks?"
i thought you hadn't listened to the album yet.

What is this stance based upon?

NYRexall

#8 Post by NYRexall » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:45 am

I have listened to the album (see forthcoming thread), but that's not what I'm basing my judgement on. Dave says right in the interview that he, Perkins and Sitek put together one of the songs in a day, then e-mailed it to Perry, who e-mailed it back the next day with a vocal track.

That's ridiculous. Weren't they doing most of the album recording in Cali anyway?

JOEinPHX

#9 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:20 pm

NYRexall wrote:I have listened to the album (see forthcoming thread), but that's not what I'm basing my judgement on. Dave says right in the interview that he, Perkins and Sitek put together one of the songs in a day, then e-mailed it to Perry, who e-mailed it back the next day with a vocal track.

That's ridiculous. Weren't they doing most of the album recording in Cali anyway?
Maybe Perry was busy working on Lollapalooza at the time and couldn't get away from home for a few hours.

(did i just defend Perry? What bizarre world are we living in now, where Jane's puts out good albums again and i defend Perry Farrell? haha)

NYRexall

#10 Post by NYRexall » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:07 am

Here's what I don't understand...

Remember during the interviews Sonny did with Eric, where Eric said Perry got really jealous and defensive when Eric tried to jam on new material with the other two, and it started kicking up bad blood again?

Dave says in this article how Perry's (apparently) not in the studio with them, and he and Perk and Sitek are putting together new songs spontaneously and then e-mailing them to Perry, who e-mails them a completed vocal track the very next day, and - viola - a new Jane's Addiction song is born.

And not just any Jane's song. Apparently it’s good enough to be the first offical single off the new record.

So my question is: who the fuck is Sitek? He's not a member of the band; he's a hired gun from another band from another era entirely helping the band write songs in the studio, when the band (that includes Perry and Chaney, if they're finally acknowledging Chaney as a bonafide member of the band) should be in the studio together, bouncing new ideas off each other and hammering out new songs as a collective.

You know, the way real bands do?

So you have this self-described "amazing new body of work" that "pushes forward" and "explores new territory as a band", and you're not even in the fucking studio with them while its being created?

Whatever. Why is it a problem when a REAL member of the band from the start is trying to do this, but a-okay when a hired hand who has no relevance to the band is doing it?

Let's ask Dave that one and see what comes out the other end.

tubro

#11 Post by tubro » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:31 am

What's with the cheap ass PRS SE guitar? It's a decent mid price made in Asia alternative to the real ones but it's not what he plays or endorses.

Jasper

#12 Post by Jasper » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:36 am

NYRexall wrote:Here's what I don't understand...

Remember during the interviews Sonny did with Eric, where Eric said Perry got really jealous and defensive when Eric tried to jam on new material with the other two, and it started kicking up bad blood again?

Dave says in this article how Perry's (apparently) not in the studio with them, and he and Perk and Sitek are putting together new songs spontaneously and then e-mailing them to Perry, who e-mails them a completed vocal track the very next day, and - viola - a new Jane's Addiction song is born.

And not just any Jane's song. Apparently it’s good enough to be the first offical single off the new record.

So my question is: who the fuck is Sitek? He's not a member of the band; he's a hired gun from another band from another era entirely helping the band write songs in the studio, when the band (that includes Perry and Chaney, if they're finally acknowledging Chaney as a bonafide member of the band) should be in the studio together, bouncing new ideas off each other and hammering out new songs as a collective.

You know, the way real bands do?

So you have this self-described "amazing new body of work" that "pushes forward" and "explores new territory as a band", and you're not even in the fucking studio with them while its being created?

Whatever. Why is it a problem when a REAL member of the band from the start is trying to do this, but a-okay when a hired hand who has no relevance to the band is doing it?

Let's ask Dave that one and see what comes out the other end.
That's more or less all been covered.

Perry obviously didn't want Eric taking over the group or even having equal control as him. Think of how much the fans have vocalized their support of Eric and have spent so much time deriding Perry. The situation was threatening. Also, the entire process with Eric may have drained Perry so much that he wasn't that eager to get back into the studio.

Sitek was brought in by Costey for a short-term visit, and everyone ended up liking him, and he jammed well with Dave and Perk right off the bat, so he stayed around for a bit. They obviously needed a bassist to write with, because almost all of this material came from jamming. Sitek's not a bassist, but he was willing to give it a go.

Despite what anyone says, Chaney wasn't in the band at the time. Way back, when asked about Chaney coming back, Dave responded in the negative, saying something about them starting fresh. Once it became clear that Sitek was not willing to quit TVOTR to join Jane's, the band had to come up with something, so it was Chaney, and that's why Chaney came in on the tail end of things and redid some parts, possibly tweaking some things. Dave saying Chaney was always in the band is just Dave's way of being kind to Chris and publicly supporting him.

Warped

#13 Post by Warped » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:06 am

Perry simply doesn't like Eric. So whatever he came up would not be accepted at all. He won't get over that - never.

As far as the cheap ass PRS is concerned, i just think they took some random one because of the red colour which looks great and ..i couldn't care less about that, the pics are just beautiful :love: