Anyone change their initial opinion of TGEA?

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Pandemonium

Re: Anyone change their initial opinion of TGEA?

#51 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:09 pm

trevor ayer wrote:well bruce may be able to chirp away at his horrid songs for 3+ hours but the audience still has to sit thru that bore fest

perry tops bruce by a mile
Whatever. I can't reason with someone who has a personal bias. I've seen Janes 11 times, about half those shows pre-2001. I've seen Springsteen about the same number of times dating back to 1981. It's not even a contest who's a better frontman, musician, singer, songwriter - whatever stick you wanna measure the two with.

Pandemonium

#52 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:19 pm

blackcoffee wrote:
ESY wrote:Umm, Perry back in the day was the greatest frontman of all time. Agree with everything else you say.

I've got a friend who swears David Lee Roth is the greatest frontman of all time. I disagree with her, but I'm basing that on my musical taste and cultural points of reference. Perry is pretty polarizing. People either love or hate him. Even back in the day.
Roth *was* a great frontman for a few years in Van Halen from about 1979 - 1981 when the band was at it's absolute peak. By '82, he was getting too comfortable and set in his shtick and his already limited voice started to really go downhill. By the time they played the US Festival in '83, it was pretty obvious he was losing it.

Kajicat

#53 Post by Kajicat » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:53 pm

I gotta' admit, for some reason listening to TGEA off the actual legit CD was a way better experience. Sounded pretty damn good. Might actually raise my score of 6.5/10 up to a 7 one day.

Curiosity Kills is strangely growing on me... :confused:

For some reason I don't hate Words as much anymore....pretty odd. I still think it's the worst track.

Love Perry's vocals during verses on Ultimate Reason and Curiosity Kills. Totally reminds me of his sound on P4P's cover of Satellite of Love, and the remix of A Little Sadness. LOVE IT :cool:

And some other songs his vocals really remind me of the sound/melodies of SYTBS which I'm always cool with.

leviticus

#54 Post by leviticus » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:58 pm

Kajicat wrote:I gotta' admit, for some reason listening to TGEA off the actual legit CD was a way better experience. Sounded pretty damn good. Might actually raise my score of 6.5/10 up to a 7 one day.

For some reason I don't hate Words as much anymore....pretty odd. I still think it's the worst track.

Love Perry's vocals during verses on Ultimate Reason and Curiosity Kills. Totally reminds me of his sound on P4P's cover of Satellite of Love, and the remix of A Little Sadness. LOVE IT :cool:

And some other songs his vocals really remind me of the sound/melodies of SYTBS which I'm always cool with.
I love Curiosity Kills. The album is growing on me...again. If it catches me in the right mood, It's a pretty phenomenal listening experience. Moody, spacey, atmospheric... my kind of music.

JOEinPHX

#55 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:13 pm

creep wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:
ESY wrote:Umm, Perry back in the day was the greatest frontman of all time.
Uhhh, not even close even when Perry was at his peak. Just using frontmen who I saw live between 1987 - 1991 when I saw Janes, I can think of Iggy Pop, Bruce Springsteen, Bono, Lux Interior, Stiv Bator, Trent Reznor just to name a few.
really?

bruce :lolol:
trent :lolol:
bono :lolol:

maybe iggy but jane's music is so much better.

perry was the best frontman easily. :agree:
To go same exact timeframe...

Axl Rose

Regardless of what he's turned into, the guy wailed more than Perry, was more active onstage than Perry, and played (and still plays) shows that are twice as long.

nausearockpig

#56 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:26 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
creep wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:
Uhhh, not even close even when Perry was at his peak. Just using frontmen who I saw live between 1987 - 1991 when I saw Janes, I can think of Iggy Pop, Bruce Springsteen, Bono, Lux Interior, Stiv Bator, Trent Reznor just to name a few.
really?

Axl Rose

Regardless of what he's turned into, the guy wailed more than Perry, was more active onstage than Perry, and played (and still plays) shows that are twice as long.
Ah geez.. don't get me started on the time on stage/set length thing.... again...

that and rail gauge variances.. makes me crazy...

JOEinPHX

#57 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:38 pm

nausearockpig wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
creep wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:
really?

Axl Rose

Ah geez.. don't get me started on the time on stage/set length thing.... again...

that and rail gauge variances.. makes me crazy...
Set length matters though.

Its more impressive to keep up a high energy performance for a longer period of time.

sonny

#58 Post by sonny » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:02 pm

Eric B. wrote:
sonny wrote:this album will sink, as time goes by. the like that people are experiencing i chalk up to just new stuff. that new stuff will wear off this album will be universally thought of as a big mistake.

from the cover to using an outside songwriter to the end result of mediocre songs, this album should do the band in for good.

watching them play these songs live is just gonna be icing on the embarrassing cake. it's tough to watch it happen.
Really Sonny, shame you make such a crusade for this. I think you shouldn't underestimate what the opinion on these kind of boards do to the public opinion. Not saying you got the powers in hand and shouldn't voice your opinion, but I think you also voice a lot of personal frustration here.

I really don't understand what's so wrong about the cover. Compare it to RDLH and I think they're in the same category. Everybody's hyping about how great that cover is. I really don't see it. It's just papier mache if ya ask me. NS cover is way way better and really lifts the music up. Also because the artwork overall on that one is really breathing the same kind of feeling. I really like that but thaught RdlH way not that good. I thought the amendment was actually cooler. More of a rebel vibe on that one. A big fuck you.

Using Sitek is a bit weak I agree. Now it's not clear who's art we're listening to. I dig the album for what it is. Not brilliant, but it's got sparks. Live Perry won't be really strong I guess, but maybe that isn't that important. Most of the time he get's the crowd going like in the old days. I never thought he was that good live (although better than now), but was always good for some good fun.

Why a big mistake? Bullshit. Like they don't have the right to make an album. They don't owe you anything. For now I got a new album that I enjoy and the last couple of months I enjoyed the buzz that's all around. A new video here and there...what's wrong with that? Anytime soon a concert probably. All good if you ask me. I don't take it that seriously. Fuck that legacy.

Oh fuck. Who am I preaching to. You only enjoy these kind of reactions. End of story for me. Bye bye.
i don't think the new cover is anywhere near ritual. not even in the same discussion. it's closer the satellite party.

using sitek is a weak move. bringing in outside songwriters, takes away yr punk/rock n roll part of the equation. the idea that four guys can come together and create this thing from front to back is lost. it's pop music bullshit. why do it, if you need sitek to help write songs?

i think the album is a big mistake for reasons people have given on many projects. people remember yr last effort and this one is weak, very weak.

both music videos have been amateur at best. todd shot better footage and put together better videos, than what was released. not that videos matter that much now.

playing these songs live has been embarrassing because we are talking about jane's addiciton, who lives and dies by their live show. when all else failed, they could always put on an amazing show. these new songs with the backing tracks just sound like a horrible american idol audition. i realize, they more they work on them better it will get. if these four guys can't figure out how to play these new songs live, without backing tracks, it kills yet another once strong part of the band, the live show.

sorry, i'm killing people's buzz. it's the truth, it hurts sometimes.

Pandemonium

#59 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:07 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:Axl Rose

Axl was pretty impressive the first few GnR shows I saw through the early phase of the AFD tour, but I always got the impression that he was a real fuckhead and had a certain degree of contempt for his audience. I rarely got a sense of plain ol' fun while performing outta his act like I did and do from other noted frontmen which makes a big (positive) difference in a performer, at least for me.

Essence_Smith

#60 Post by Essence_Smith » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:04 am

I was a huge GnR fan back in the day...I liked em as much as I did Jane's...but comparing Axl to Perry? MADNESS...sheer MADNESS... :no:

That being said there are actually a few things on TGEA that have grown on me more over the last week...Irresistable force was actually stuck in my head the other day...Hit You Back as well...I think people's expectations weigh so heavily into this its not even funny...this definitely ain't a classic, but I think its more cohesive than Strays was...there are songs on there I couldn't stand after a few days...some of the songs on the new one aren't my thing, but the worst of TGEA beats the worst of Strays imo...

Japhy

#61 Post by Japhy » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:13 am

Essence_Smith wrote:this definitely ain't a classic, but I think its more cohesive than Strays was...there are songs on there I couldn't stand after a few days...some of the songs on the new one aren't my thing, but the worst of TGEA beats the worst of Strays imo...
Yep, that's one of the major differences between the 2 records for me. I parked Strays real damn quick and there were songs that i skipped from the word go. This album feels like it will have more longevity... certainly for me at least.

trevor ayer

#62 Post by trevor ayer » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:23 am

axl sounds like something i shredded up in my smoothie this morning

but who is the better dancer ?

axl in sweet child vid
or perry in doing his trippy hand wavey thing in classic girl

my other opinion that changed is that .. if sitek and costey can't make a great record with the mighty janes addiction .. than they both suck ass hard thru a straw .. fuck them both for even venturing into this fucking britney spears pop crap they put on janes .. was this really janes idea or did the record company refuse to pay up unless they did all this stupid shit with songwriters and producers and crap .. maybe they just dont want to admit it but after duff split the rec execs got pissed and forced this crap on them and said "make them sound like coldplay" so we can sell a few records sounding alike .. the way they road gnr coat tails back in the day too ..

perry was the better dancer .. axl is just super gay in a brett michaels sort of way .. perry was super gay in a freddie murcury sort of way .. much more respectable

perry wins!!!!! :balls:

these days perry is more liberace gay tho .. but axl looks very village people .. maybe they are tied these days

Kajicat

#63 Post by Kajicat » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:55 am

leviticus wrote:
Kajicat wrote:I gotta' admit, for some reason listening to TGEA off the actual legit CD was a way better experience. Sounded pretty damn good. Might actually raise my score of 6.5/10 up to a 7 one day.

I love Curiosity Kills. The album is growing on me...again. If it catches me in the right mood, It's a pretty phenomenal listening experience. Moody, spacey, atmospheric... my kind of music.
Yeah I dig the spacey vibe the album gives off. Just imagine 1980's Perry floating around in space while you listen to TGEA and it kinda kicks ass :hehe: Dreads floatin' around as he rotates in space, peering back at you with his beady eyes...it helps!

sonny

#64 Post by sonny » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:43 pm

perry kills axl, easy for me.

axl's "moves" always seemed so practiced. axl's rants were also very similar to every cock rocker from that time frame.

axl was good, but more like bret michaels good.

perry was up there with iggy and bowie and morrison. taking little pieces of them and exploding on stage like a slow bowling explosion.

that is the big difference in perry then and perry now. he would come out slow and cool, fully dressed (coat and hat). he would take his time with the songs and build up from the first song to the fourth, exploding during 'ted' or 'three days' then taking it down for summertime and then bringing it back up for the encore. it left ya out of breath.

bman

#65 Post by bman » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:48 pm

Last night was the first time in a long time that I felt completely spent after a show. It wasn't even an unsually long set. But every song killed and there was no going through the motions that you sometimes see. I was there in 91 and last night Perry was just as good. There's no heroin/coke/crack in his bloodstream anymore. Different era entirely but that's the only difference I see. He fuckin killed.

Tyler Durden

#66 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:49 pm

Yeah, Perry (of old) is easily one of the greatest frontmen ever.

That being said, Jim Morrison is probably the greatest (if I was forced to choose, anyway). He basically laid the groundwork for which everyone following him built on or directly ripped off.

sonny

#67 Post by sonny » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:55 pm

bman wrote:Last night was the first time in a long time that I felt completely spent after a show. It wasn't even an unsually long set. But every song killed and there was no going through the motions that you sometimes see. I was there in 91 and last night Perry was just as good. There's no heroin/coke/crack in his bloodstream anymore. Different era entirely but that's the only difference I see. He fuckin killed.
it's yr opinion of course, but i gotta question anyone who thinks anything jane's addiction live now is as good as it was '91.

which '91 show did you go to?

do you realize what yr saying?

bman

#68 Post by bman » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:58 pm

MIck Jagger hands down..Greatest Showman ever. And he stole his moves from James Brown.

Jim Morrison had a great stage presence but I don't know...I don't see him as a great frontman.

When Mick and Perry are on they leave everyone blown away. I've met so many people who were not Janes fans, or knew nothing, and then saw Janes and they left having the time of their of thier life. That's the sign of a great front. An Enigmatic, Charismatic, Funny, wild showman. Mick and then Perry are the greatest frontmen ever. :rockon:

Tyler Durden

#69 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:25 pm

bman wrote:MIck Jagger hands down..Greatest Showman ever. And he stole his moves from James Brown.

Jim Morrison had a great stage presence but I don't know...I don't see him as a great frontman.

When Mick and Perry are on they leave everyone blown away. I've met so many people who were not Janes fans, or knew nothing, and then saw Janes and they left having the time of their of thier life. That's the sign of a great front. An Enigmatic, Charismatic, Funny, wild showman. Mick and then Perry are the greatest frontmen ever. :rockon:
I love old Stones (Exile, Sticky Fingers, Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, etc)...but Mick Jagger doesn't even come close to Jim Morrison.

"The Lizard King" started shirtless rock. :lol: He wore leather pants (everywhere). His performances incited riots. He (allegedly) exposed himself on stage. He got arrested at shows...and got his ass kicked by cops. People got naked at his shows; people danced around fires (well, according to Oliver Stone anyway...not sure if that is accurate :hehe: ). He was the first real "rock star" to front a band. Tons of times, they were referred to as "Jim Morrison and the Doors" in the public psyche. He ushered in an unprecedented, tangible danger...sex and violence (death). He heavily influenced everyone who followed him, from Iggy to Perry...and pretty much every other rock star that has ever fronted a rock band. Mick Jagger flapped his lips and shook his ass. There is absolutely no comparison.

bman

#70 Post by bman » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:38 pm

I don't agree...Jim was awesome. and I had my Doors era a long time ago. But watching old videos of Jim never really got me going. He was great. But I don't think he was an uplifting force!

Check this Mick out..very PerryEsque!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzAEtLPSzRg

Tyler Durden

#71 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:48 pm

bman wrote:I don't agree...Jim was awesome. and I had my Doors era a long time ago. But watching old videos of Jim never really got me going. He was great. But I don't think he was an uplifting force!

CHECKMATE. :lol:

P.S. Morrison's still the best.

bman

#72 Post by bman » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:53 pm

damn that looked like it hurt!

CaseyContrarian

#73 Post by CaseyContrarian » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:23 pm

bman wrote:MIck Jagger hands down..Greatest Showman ever. And he stole his moves from James Brown.

Mick Jagger stole his moves from tina Turner and Mike Love. The "chicken wings," the "finger wag," the "ass shake," ALL Mike Love. The rest is Proud Mary-era Tina.

CaseyContrarian

#74 Post by CaseyContrarian » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:23 pm

Mick Jagger stole his moves from tina Turner and Mike Love. The "chicken wings," the "finger wag," the "ass shake," ALL Mike Love. The rest is Proud Mary-era Tina.

Jimbo invented the entire ecstatic "sex and doom" thing, to which Iggy and Perry both owe their very existences.

guysmiley

#75 Post by guysmiley » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:32 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
bman wrote:I don't agree...Jim was awesome. and I had my Doors era a long time ago. But watching old videos of Jim never really got me going. He was great. But I don't think he was an uplifting force!

CHECKMATE. :lol:

P.S. Morrison's still the best.
That Pink Pop show is one of the best PJ shows of that era. Eddie use to get nuts. I saw Scott Weiland doing something almost as stupid once.