Lyrics and liner notes for TGEA (scans)

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Tyler Durden

Lyrics and liner notes for TGEA (scans)

#1 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:41 pm

For anyone who isn't buying the new album (like me) or can't read the tiny printed lyrics in the album insert, LARGE scans have been posted at ja.org. These are some pretty uninspired, weak lyrics. :no:

http://janesaddiction.org/discography/j ... rtist-the/

P.S. The lyrics for the Strays album were way better. :nod:

CaseyContrarian

Re: Lyrics and liner notes for TGEA (scans)

#2 Post by CaseyContrarian » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:47 pm

I actually like the majority of these lyrics just fine. Certainly more than most of Strays.

Kajicat

#3 Post by Kajicat » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:01 pm

The lyrics don't bother me much. Most artists run out of things to say later in their career, especially MC's. The well just kinda runs dry over time. However, if Perry started using again and writing, I'm sure the lyrics would be pretty damn good.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#4 Post by Hokahey » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:36 pm

I like Underground even more now. Great lyrics. I love "I try to find some love from up high, there just aint enough to go around." Classic Perry.

Hit You Back is obviously about Eric, despite Perry saying it was about his step mom. :lolol:

I also really like "I flex at my reflection heading into the town, a great hunter."

Pure Method

#5 Post by Pure Method » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:43 pm

Kajicat wrote:The lyrics don't bother me much. Most artists run out of things to say later in their career, especially MC's. The well just kinda runs dry over time. However, if Perry started using again and writing, I'm sure the lyrics would be pretty damn good.
I'm pretty sure they are all using...

Kajicat

#6 Post by Kajicat » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:27 pm

Pure Method wrote:
Kajicat wrote:The lyrics don't bother me much. Most artists run out of things to say later in their career, especially MC's. The well just kinda runs dry over time. However, if Perry started using again and writing, I'm sure the lyrics would be pretty damn good.
I'm pretty sure they are all using...
Marijuana and alcohol don't count...

Pure Method

#7 Post by Pure Method » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:29 pm

dave's bad place and freaky new tattoos and crying during recording were cause of pot and beer?

Pandemonium

#8 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:31 pm

Pure Method wrote:dave's bad place and freaky new tattoos and crying during recording were cause of pot and beer?
Ambien is a helluva drug.

Kajicat

#9 Post by Kajicat » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:42 pm

Pure Method wrote:dave's bad place and freaky new tattoos and crying during recording were cause of pot and beer?
No, Dave was definitely using again. But isn't Perry clean these days? And I'm sure Stephen pretty much always was. I thought we were talking about writing lyrics (Perry), not the actual music (Dave)...?

Tyler Durden

#10 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:51 pm

hokahey wrote:I like Underground even more now. Great lyrics. I love "I try to find some love from up high, there just aint enough to go around." Classic Perry.

Hit You Back is obviously about Eric, despite Perry saying it was about his step mom. :lolol:

I also really like "I flex at my reflection heading into the town, a great hunter."
I agree...the lyrics to Underground are good.

And I'll Hit You Back is definitely about Eric. Thought that from the moment I heard the title, let alone the song. :hehe:

Pure Method

#11 Post by Pure Method » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:56 pm

Kajicat wrote:
No, Dave was definitely using again. But isn't Perry clean these days? And I'm sure Stephen pretty much always was. I thought we were talking about writing lyrics (Perry), not the actual music (Dave)...?

in the live chat dave says "perry was right there with me"

Pandemonium

#12 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:16 pm

Pure Method wrote:
Kajicat wrote:

in the live chat dave says "perry was right there with me"
Like Sonny is right here with me.

The internet makes us all shoulder to shoulder.

Pure Method

#13 Post by Pure Method » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:13 pm

:lolol: ok so you did'n't watch the live video with all of them talking into a camera? I was directly referencing the sentence after dave said he cried from being in a bad place.

Pandemonium

#14 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:17 pm

Pure Method wrote::lolol: ok so you did'n't watch the live video with all of them talking into a camera? I was directly referencing the sentence after dave said he cried from being in a bad place.
Where's that Captain Picard facepalm image when I need it?!?

kv

#15 Post by kv » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:42 pm

he meant perry was with me when he was crying...not in drug use

AdmitI

#16 Post by AdmitI » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:23 pm

Kajicat wrote:
In an interview, Perry said he was using (Dave too) and that was part of the reason Duff left..

Kajicat

#17 Post by Kajicat » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:29 pm

AdmitI wrote:
Kajicat wrote:
In an interview, Perry said he was using (Dave too) and that was part of the reason Duff left..
Really? What interview was this? Damn, that sucks that TGEA is the best Perry can do when using, then. :cona:

JOEinPHX

#18 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:38 pm

Kajicat wrote:
AdmitI wrote:
Kajicat wrote:
Really? What interview was this? Damn, that sucks that TGEA is the best Perry can do when using, then. :cona:
it was the Morello interview.

The soundcloud one.

AdmitI

#19 Post by AdmitI » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:31 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Kajicat wrote:
AdmitI wrote:
Kajicat wrote:
it was the Morello interview.

The soundcloud one.
Yep! :kv:

cursed male

#20 Post by cursed male » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:47 am

Kajicat wrote:
AdmitI wrote:
Kajicat wrote:
Well, there's using and there's using... I seriously doubt that Perry the dad uses anything stronger than what you mentioned above.

embrace_the_darkness

#21 Post by embrace_the_darkness » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:13 am

Tyler Durden wrote:For anyone who isn't buying the new album (like me) or can't read the tiny printed lyrics in the album insert, LARGE scans have been posted at ja.org. These are some pretty uninspired, weak lyrics. :no:

http://janesaddiction.org/discography/j ... rtist-the/

P.S. The lyrics for the Strays album were way better. :nod:
Then why r u still here if u hate the band?

kv

#22 Post by kv » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:35 am

because he has posted around these parts for years and years and this site is more to him (and most) then just janes

Hokahey
Site Admin

#23 Post by Hokahey » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:43 am

These lyrics are so much better than Strays it's not even funny. Underground alone gives it that distinction. Strays had no message. It was Perry newly married, newly a dedicated father, a few years sober with nothing to talk about. At least on this album he's painting pictures of "broken people" again and reflecting on his past.

Tyler Durden

#24 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:34 am

hokahey wrote:These lyrics are so much better than Strays it's not even funny. Underground alone gives it that distinction. Strays had no message. It was Perry newly married, newly a dedicated father, a few years sober with nothing to talk about. At least on this album he's painting pictures of "broken people" again and reflecting on his past.
Really? I think there were a few songs on Strays where Perry was trying to convey a message or created some interesting imagery. I'm not suggesting the lyrics are great (on Strays) or anything...but for me, they were most interesting than what Perry has written for TGEA. That being said, Strays also has some absolutely atrocious lyrics on it (some of the worst he has ever written).

Pandemonium

#25 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:23 am

hokahey wrote:These lyrics are so much better than Strays it's not even funny. Underground alone gives it that distinction. Strays had no message. It was Perry newly married, newly a dedicated father, a few years sober with nothing to talk about. At least on this album he's painting pictures of "broken people" again and reflecting on his past.
I strongly disagree. Perry may be writing from a more interesting place and choosing (mostly) better subjects than Strays, but his overall quality is barely Tommy Lee good.