Irresistible Force

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Warped

Re: Irresistible Force

#51 Post by Warped » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:48 am

I really like it a lot, especially the music --- Dave's way cool on that song.

Japhy

#52 Post by Japhy » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:25 am

ant wrote:I like these two new tracks more than most of Strays but I totally agree about True Nature and for me The Riches as well. I'm digging IF but the more I listen to it the lyrics are coming off a little bit Satellite Party, just a little.
Yep, i'm still struggling with the SP similarities too... the spoken part is very Awesome, the cosmic references, the super-clean sheen to it etc. But i'm still listening to it which must be a good thing. I'm definitely a bigger fan of ETTL at this point but IF isn't a million miles behind... i need to hear a 3rd song to see what the overall direction is.

Slightly off-topic but i'm listening one hell of a lot to the vibes show... man that definitely has some old Janes magic to it... it's still in there for sure so hopefully some of that is mixed into the new record. Dave is certainly playing like a monster at the moment.

bman

#53 Post by bman » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:45 am

Japhy wrote:
ant wrote:I like these two new tracks more than most of Strays but I totally agree about True Nature and for me The Riches as well. I'm digging IF but the more I listen to it the lyrics are coming off a little bit Satellite Party, just a little.
Yep, i'm still struggling with the SP similarities too... the spoken part is very Awesome, the cosmic references, the super-clean sheen to it etc. But i'm still listening to it which must be a good thing. I'm definitely a bigger fan of ETTL at this point but IF isn't a million miles behind... i need to hear a 3rd song to see what the overall direction is.

Slightly off-topic but i'm listening one hell of a lot to the vibes show... man that definitely has some old Janes magic to it... it's still in there for sure so hopefully some of that is mixed into the new record. Dave is certainly playing like a monster at the moment.
The Vibes show was great b/c they didn't play the songs note for fucking note the same way they have for the past 20 years! They actually jammed a bit. Yet 2 nights later in NYC they went back to the same way they've played them for 20 years! That's why this band is pretty lame IMO. I love Janes but they NEVER deviate from the stale old way. Vibes was great b/c the songs sounded fresh again. I think Eric and Steve are the only ones who are ready to jam a bit. Perry and Dave are lazy and want to get through the show asap.

Jasper

#54 Post by Jasper » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:48 pm

bman wrote: I think Eric and Steve are the only ones who are ready to jam a bit. Perry and Dave are lazy and want to get through the show asap.
I dunno about that, because Dave sounded engaged and invigorated at the Vibes show; he seemed to like doing it in fresh way. :noclue: I thought it was good for Perry, because the instrumentals and slightly longer solos gave him a chance to catch his breath. Then again, we know that Perry loves doing really short sets, as it was that way without Jane's as well.

This band = :hs:

Japhy

#55 Post by Japhy » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:21 pm

Jasper wrote:This band = :hs:
And that pretty much sums it up completely.

Japhy

#56 Post by Japhy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:43 am

Anyone know how the song is doing chart-wise? I'm assuming the release on itunes / amazon was an official release and gets recognised on the charts i.e. billboard.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#57 Post by Hokahey » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:43 am

Japhy wrote:Anyone know how the song is doing chart-wise? I'm assuming the release on itunes / amazon was an official release and gets recognised on the charts i.e. billboard.
http://www.billboard.com/charts/digital ... ital-songs

Nowhere to be found in the top 100.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#58 Post by Hokahey » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:45 am

Spoke too soon:

http://www.billboard.com/charts/digital ... 9502.story

They're #22 on the alternative airplay chart.

bman

#59 Post by bman » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:51 am

I like the song more and more everytime I listen to it. However, it doesn't really do much for me. I have a feeling that this is what the album will be like. Where are all of Dave's little fills?? I was listening to Idiots Rule this morning and Dave has so many little solos and fills. This new Modern Sound that Perry or Sitek or Costey wanted for this record is kinda gay! Irrestible Force sounds like a WB tweener show theme song. :banana:

Tyler Durden

#60 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:09 am

To me, Irresistible Force makes End To The Lies sound totally amazing...when in reality, ETTL is just okay. :hehe:

bman

#61 Post by bman » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:24 am

me too. ETTL is way better.

Matz

#62 Post by Matz » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:36 pm

I think IF is another great example of how good Perry is at coming up with cool vocal melodies/ideas. If you listen to the first minute of it lots of singers wouldn't have been able to create anything interesting on top of it cause the music is not that exciting. Perry may be a sellout and annoying and a narcissist or whatever but he's in a rare league when it comes to this shit :rockon:

Juana

#63 Post by Juana » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:59 pm

I still like it but its basically because of the chorus and Dave's playing in it

JOEinPHX

#64 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:09 pm

hokahey wrote:Spoke too soon:

http://www.billboard.com/charts/digital ... 9502.story

They're #22 on the alternative airplay chart.
22 with an anchor!

JOEinPHX

#65 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:11 pm

Anyone wanna take bets on whether this album has anything of lyrical significance?

Space
Aliens
Eric
Etty

Subtract those 4 things... how many songs will be left?

perkana

#66 Post by perkana » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:40 pm

crap, I'm liking the song every time I listen to it, what is wrong with me? I agree, it's so catchy

Tyler Durden

#67 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:10 am

I am starting to like it more...it's too damn fucking catchy; but I feel like I shouldn't like it, haha.

My main problem with it is it sounds like it has no teeth; too listener friendly. When you listen to their older work (even Strays), you can hear the power during transitions in the songs. When they enter the chorus during Irresistible Force, I think they want it to sound dramatic and abrupt...but it lacks real "oomph!". It doesn't kick my ass or tear my face off. Does anyone know what I am trying to say? For example, listen to Ocean Size when Perry sings "No one pulls you out from your hole, like a tooth aching a jawbone" and then it goes into Dave playing like a madman; this new song lacks that power, desperation, angst, whatever you want to call it. :noclue:

There are numerous other examples in a song like Ocean Size where there is that extreme dynamic between the different parts of the song. Irresistible Force just feels too "safe", like they don't want to scare anyone. :no:

Jasper

#68 Post by Jasper » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:55 am

It doesn't have anything to do with them being angsty or scary or anything like that. It's just that it's a glossy pop thing, and it's kind of simplistic at times, and overall it's pretty unedifying. They could make beautiful music without any angst, but this isn't it. This is just relentlessly catchy pop w/ that sweeping Coldplay thing which is pretty cheesy, imo. It's got some good elements, but overall I still kind of feel like it's something I'd hear at the mall. it sounds like it's made of shiny plastic.

End to the Lies is so much better, but I'm really hoping that there's more interesting stuff which isn't the kind of material you'd lead with. They need to take big risks.

Hype

#69 Post by Hype » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:45 pm

Coldpay aren't horrible, they're just a different style of music... and that's what's disturbing about JA 3.0... it shouldn't be called JA precisely because it's not proto-alternative punk-prog-funk-metal fusion. It's straightforward adult contemporary "rock", which is what Coldplay and U2 excel at. It's a very polished sound that really bothers my ears... It's the reason I can respect what Incubus do but don't listen to it... I just don't like it... and I don't see any good reason for doing it if you're a band with substance. That's the big issue, really. JA is not a band of substance and meaning... of reality... anymore. And that's what we all really miss. Maybe they never were though. That's even more frightening. :conf:

Tyler Durden

#70 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:50 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:Coldpay aren't horrible, they're just a different style of music... and that's what's disturbing about JA 3.0... it shouldn't be called JA precisely because it's not proto-alternative punk-prog-funk-metal fusion. It's straightforward adult contemporary "rock", which is what Coldplay and U2 excel at. It's a very polished sound that really bothers my ears... It's the reason I can respect what Incubus do but don't listen to it... I just don't like it... and I don't see any good reason for doing it if you're a band with substance. That's the big issue, really. JA is not a band of substance and meaning... of reality... anymore. And that's what we all really miss. Maybe they never were though. That's even more frightening. :conf:
Well put.

Hype

#71 Post by Hype » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:09 pm

I also agree with a sentiment expressed by Perry, that a band/person is lucky if they ever write ONE great song... and JA wrote at least four (Jane Says, Ted, Then She Did, Three Days)... So I can't expect Perry, Dave, and Steven to be held up to that standard anymore... It's a very conservative, and yet naive/childish, view, to think that we should preserve the legacy, the legend, of the name "Jane's Addiction" as this pristine picture memory that melds our lives with their sounds... But there's another side of it, that if only they'd just make "good" art, it would be okay... but it's hard to even know what that would be for those guys... Or even if they ever knew that that's what they were doing.

feathers mcgraw

#72 Post by feathers mcgraw » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:10 pm

Tyler Durden wrote: My main problem with it is it sounds like it has no teeth
This is exactly it. It's too safe. Things with no teeth just suck :wink:

It's OK I guess, which is all we could really expect...

Jasper

#73 Post by Jasper » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:02 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:Coldpay aren't horrible, they're just a different style of music...
I went to the trouble to say that Coldplay style music is cheesy in my opinion, but if we're dropping that whole music is subjective thing for this conversation, I'd just like to come out and say that Coldplay are horrible. I know you're the proud owner of a Coldplay shirt, but I've got to tell it like it is.

Warmed-over, pureed drivel. :jasper:

Carry on.

Matz

#74 Post by Matz » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:28 pm

feathers mcgraw wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote: My main problem with it is it sounds like it has no teeth
This is exactly it. It's too safe. Things with no teeth just suck :wink:

It's OK I guess, which is all we could really expect...
it's not as 'dangerous' or whatever as Whores but it's a lot better than I had hoped for and better than what a lot of people come up with

Hype

#75 Post by Hype » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:27 pm

Jasper wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:Coldpay aren't horrible, they're just a different style of music...
I went to the trouble to say that Coldplay style music is cheesy in my opinion, but if we're dropping that whole music is subjective thing for this conversation, I'd just like to come out and say that Coldplay are horrible. I know you're the proud owner of a Coldplay shirt, but I've got to tell it like it is.

Warmed-over, pureed drivel. :jasper:

Carry on.
We don't disagree. You just used 'horrible' differently than I did. :jasper: