Portion of Ticket Profit Going to "Occupy"

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Romeo

Re: Portion of Ticket Profit Going to "Occupy"

#26 Post by Romeo » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:25 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:Romeo, if you actually have to explain the Tea Party being racist to someone chances are you are completely wasting your time... :lol:
true.

:lol:

LJF

#27 Post by LJF » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:41 pm

so romeo are you saying that the whole collapse of 08 was caused by wall street? The collapse was caused by many factors, some tied to wall street some not. So to blame one industry just makes no sense. The housing market collapsing had a hand in what happened in 08 and the last time I check no one from wall street forced people to buy houses they couldn't afford. Wall Street didn't force people to try to buy houses and flip them to make money. look no further then Clinton lowering standards for people to qualify for mortgages then Bush jumping on that also. There were many hands in the collapse. Everyone shoulders blame for 08, blaming one industry is just a way putting on someone else. Doing that will never fix the problems this country has.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#28 Post by Hokahey » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:45 pm

mockbee wrote: If Government is a mangled arm, I think that the most effective solution is do everything we can to repair it so that it can do effective work, rather then lop it off. I wouldn't call for more mangled arms and I certainly wouldn't call for it to be lopped off, which seems to be the only two options seen by the Tea Party crowd. And there's my contribution to your rhetoric.
Except that arm is mangled by nature. It's like the top of an old tree with more rot as you reach the top. The desire should be to allow the lower, smaller, less rotted branches to do what they were intended to do when the tree was envisioned and written about by the people that planted it.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#29 Post by Hokahey » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:46 pm

LJF wrote:so romeo are you saying that the whole collapse of 08 was caused by wall street? The collapse was caused by many factors, some tied to wall street some not. So to blame one industry just makes no sense. The housing market collapsing had a hand in what happened in 08 and the last time I check no one from wall street forced people to buy houses they couldn't afford. Wall Street didn't force people to try to buy houses and flip them to make money. look no further then Clinton lowering standards for people to qualify for mortgages then Bush jumping on that also. There were many hands in the collapse. Everyone shoulders blame for 08, blaming one industry is just a way putting on someone else. Doing that will never fix the problems this country has.
Which all falls under the umbrella of government intervention/Keynesian economics theory.

LJF

#30 Post by LJF » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:59 pm

yes there are some racist idiots that jumped on the tea party bandwagon, but they weren't founded on racist beliefs. So again to say all tea party people are racists is flat out wrong.

No I don't live in a cave, I might not get out that often but don't kick a man for that.

bman

#31 Post by bman » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:02 pm

The party of the Dems and Repubs for the last 25 years, hasbasically been ONE party. Financed more and more by corporations and lobbyists. The Gov't for the last 25 years has made it easy, no, they've made it simple, for Wall Street speculators and investment brokers to Gamble with people's finances in ways that have never existed before. The bubble had been expanding for years while those speculators and bankers made out like bandits, basically just pushing papers around and creating phony investment products. So yes, wall street (enabled by the Federal Govt) created the perfect storm for the 2008 economic collapse. The protesters are misguided though. They really should just be down on K street trying to disrupt Congress and the senate. The political system is what has enabled our economy to be in the hands of brokers. A lot of the protesters are misguided too in that there is a lot of anti rich sentiment. Fuck That. Everyone needs to pay their fair share of taxes, but I have a problem paying high taxes in General. What moral grounds does the Govt have to take 40% of your money! And then squander it away. Everyone needs to pay their fair share, but everyone, including the Govt, needs to have personal accountability. That means if you can't afford to have 5 kids, then dont have 5 kids! If you can't afford a 500,000 house, then don't try to buy one! And don;t expect the govt to give you hand out.

Bye!

Romeo

#32 Post by Romeo » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:21 pm

LJF wrote:so romeo are you saying that the whole collapse of 08 was caused by wall street? The collapse was caused by many factors, some tied to wall street some not. So to blame one industry just makes no sense. The housing market collapsing had a hand in what happened in 08 and the last time I check no one from wall street forced people to buy houses they couldn't afford. Wall Street didn't force people to try to buy houses and flip them to make money. look no further then Clinton lowering standards for people to qualify for mortgages then Bush jumping on that also. There were many hands in the collapse. Everyone shoulders blame for 08, blaming one industry is just a way putting on someone else. Doing that will never fix the problems this country has.

Countrywide/Indymac bank CFC on the NYSE
Citibank C on the NYSE
Ameriquest ASQ on the NYSE
The top preditory lenders with the bait & swtich interests rates. Mortgage fraud started it...took down Bear Stern, Lehman Bros, Goldman Sachs, Merrill Lynch.
Banks started falling and closing.

But those bailed out-Wells Fargo, Chase, Capitol one.....how they doing?? Fine I see. How many paid the money back? How many are offering lending to consumers?? Not many.

And our money was invested in the market. Funny how the middle Class saving in their 401K's took the hardest hits (myself included) but the wealthiest.....hardly hurt.

Romeo

#33 Post by Romeo » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:24 pm

LJF wrote:yes there are some racist idiots that jumped on the tea party bandwagon, but they weren't founded on racist beliefs. So again to say all tea party people are racists is flat out wrong.

No I don't live in a cave, I might not get out that often but don't kick a man for that.
you own a TV?
On the internet??

These rallies & their rally cries were well documented.

They support such darlings as Michelle Bachman & Sarah Palin. Two bumbleheads.

Even at the most radical OWS groups (like Oakland) I wouldn't be frightened. However those "Patriots" scared the living hell out of me.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#34 Post by Hokahey » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:02 pm

Romeo wrote:
LJF wrote:yes there are some racist idiots that jumped on the tea party bandwagon, but they weren't founded on racist beliefs. So again to say all tea party people are racists is flat out wrong.

you own a TV?
On the internet??

Even at the most radical OWS groups (like Oakland) I wouldn't be frightened. However those "Patriots" scared the living hell out of me.
The tea party did not start that way. You don't know what you're talking about. And just because the media declares certain candidates "tea party favorites" doesnt make it true. I suggest doing some research on the origins of the movement.

It would be very easy for me to find Occupiers with ridiculous signs and find coverage of them saying and doing ridiculous and even hateful things.

I'm sure you'll find reasons to defend the movement as a whole though and say "well it didnt start that way."

The media and the neocons got a hold of the tea party movement and turned it in to just another group of Republicans.

The tea party were Libertarians through and through on the outset. A group that supports equal rights for everyone (including minorities or racists alike - it's a free country) more so than any other group. A group that wants to repeal drug laws that disproportionately affect African Americans.

Unless you understand political history, economics and the constitution to some extent this is not a topic that anyone should be debating.

mockbee

#35 Post by mockbee » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:23 pm

bman wrote:So yes, wall street (enabled by the Federal Govt) created the perfect storm for the 2008 economic collapse. The protesters are misguided though. They really should just be down on K street trying to disrupt Congress and the senate. The political system is what has enabled our economy to be in the hands of brokers.
Correct!

But it's not fun to agree, lets get back to hyperbole....... :scared:

Essence_Smith

#36 Post by Essence_Smith » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:25 pm

So much I could say about the Tea Party, but again...a complete waste of time... :lol:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#37 Post by Hokahey » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:29 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:So much I could say about the Tea Party, but again...a complete waste of time... :lol:
Then why mention it?

And current tea party or as it was formed? Because no one is disagreeing it's been coopted by racists and neo cons now. So what's so funny?

Essence_Smith

#38 Post by Essence_Smith » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:37 pm

hokahey wrote:
Essence_Smith wrote:So much I could say about the Tea Party, but again...a complete waste of time... :lol:
Then why mention it?

And current tea party or as it was formed? Because no one is disagreeing it's been coopted by racists and neo cons now. So what's so funny?
It makes NO sense imo to state things along the lines of "well it didn't start that way" if in its current form its rotten, it is what it is...Christianity was once a good idea too and we could name a million other similar things...I just don't see a point in even stating that if you KNOW for a fact it was co-opted as you say...it comes across as being defensive...what's funny to me is that the right and the tea party, etc are so BLATANTLY racist that anyone with sense would even try to make excuses for it being what it is...

Artemis

#39 Post by Artemis » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:21 pm

Romeo wrote: Current minimum wage is $7.25.
:yikes: Is that for New York state only or is there a federal minimum wage?

In Ontario it's$10.25/hr( our dollar is pretty much on par with yours these days) The lowest minimum wage is $9/hr in the Yukon.

I don't if it's true or not, but I remember hearing that in the US(don't know if it is all states) restaurants can hire servers to solely work for tips with no minimum wage paid to them.

farrellgirl99

#40 Post by farrellgirl99 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:34 pm

Artemis wrote:
Romeo wrote: Current minimum wage is $7.25.
:yikes: Is that for New York state only or is there a federal minimum wage?

In Ontario it's$10.25/hr( our dollar is pretty much on par with yours these days) The lowest minimum wage is $9/hr in the Yukon.

I don't if it's true or not, but I remember hearing that in the US(don't know if it is all states) restaurants can hire servers to solely work for tips with no minimum wage paid to them.
That's NY minimum wage. And unfortunately, it's also what I make. I work part time, about 16 hours a week on average, and my paycheck comes out to an astounding $105 dollars a week. It's really inhumane.

I don't pay for school because I have a full scholarship, but I would never be able to support myself and go to school. I go to a CUNY (city university of ny) school, as Romeo mentioned above, and almost every student you meet works a part or full time job. I don't know how they do it, as paying for school is so expensive without even taking into consideration rent, food, metrocards ($104 a month for an unlimited), etc. NYC is simply unlivable.

Some NY congressmen are trying to pass a state minimum wage bill to raise it to $8.50 and people still don't want that to happen (small businesses etc). I think it's disgusting that we dont have atleast a $10 minimum wage. It's indecent to people who work hard and don't get shit in return.

In regards to servers, I'm not totally sure what the law is. I do have a friend who works at a restaurant and he gets paid $4 an hour, which is legal because he makes tips. Once again, ridiculous because half the time people tip terribly.

LJF

#41 Post by LJF » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:51 pm

Romeo wrote:

Citibank C on the NYSE
The top preditory lenders with the bait & swtich interests rates. Mortgage fraud started it...took down Bear Stern, Lehman Bros, Goldman Sachs, Merrill Lynch.

But those bailed out-Wells Fargo, Chase, Capitol one.....how they doing?? Fine I see. How many paid the money back? How many are offering lending to consumers?? Not many.

And our money was invested in the market. Funny how the middle Class saving in their 401K's took the hardest hits (myself included) but the wealthiest.....hardly hurt.

Yes all of those companies were listed on the exchange that doesn't make them wall street, far from it. The top mortgage lenders weren't wall street firms, like you said so you are proving my point that occupy wall street makes no sense. Just because, a little plug for JA, a company is listed on the exchange doesn't make it wall street. If that was the case then every company that trades on the exchange would be wall street.

All of the large banks paid back the bailout money plus interest, so the taxpayers made money off of that part of the bailout. Yes there are smaller banks that haven't paid back. The current president wants to talk about how great the bailout for GM was, because they are now going well and they paid back the money. But that is total bullshit. GM paid back the bailout money with money that the government gave them for operating expense, which was tax payer money. So talk bait & switch, look here we paid back the bailout money, but with what more bailout money. So for the most part the tax payers have made money on the bailout of the larger wall street firms.

How can you say that the wealthiest hardly got hurt during the market downturn of 08? They were invested in the stock market and to a larger extent then your average person. So to say they didn't get hurt is totally wrong. They lost money also, just like anyone that was invested. I worked for one of those firms and personally lost money and I know a lot of people that lost a lot.

I still don't get how you think this was all wall streets problem. What you are saying to me is that wall street and main street are the same.

LJF

#42 Post by LJF » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:53 pm

hokahey wrote:
Romeo wrote:

you own a TV?
On the internet??

The tea party did not start that way. You don't know what you're talking about. And just because the media declares certain candidates "tea party favorites" doesnt make it true. I suggest doing some research on the origins of the movement.

It would be very easy for me to find Occupiers with ridiculous signs and find coverage of them saying and doing ridiculous and even hateful things.

I'm sure you'll find reasons to defend the movement as a whole though and say "well it didnt start that way."

The media and the neocons got a hold of the tea party movement and turned it in to just another group of Republicans.

The tea party were Libertarians through and through on the outset. A group that supports equal rights for everyone (including minorities or racists alike - it's a free country) more so than any other group. A group that wants to repeal drug laws that disproportionately affect African Americans.

Unless you understand political history, economics and the constitution to some extent this is not a topic that anyone should be debating.
Thanks Hoka this is what I was trying to say, but you said it much better.

Romeo

#43 Post by Romeo » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:31 pm

LJF wrote:
Romeo wrote:

Citibank C on the NYSE

Yes all of those companies were listed on the exchange that doesn't make them wall street, far from it. The top mortgage lenders weren't wall street firms, like you said so you are proving my point that occupy wall street makes no sense. Just because, a little plug for JA, a company is listed on the exchange doesn't make it wall street. If that was the case then every company that trades on the exchange would be wall street.

All of the large banks paid back the bailout money plus interest, so the taxpayers made money off of that part of the bailout. Yes there are smaller banks that haven't paid back. The current president wants to talk about how great the bailout for GM was, because they are now going well and they paid back the money. But that is total bullshit. GM paid back the bailout money with money that the government gave them for operating expense, which was tax payer money. So talk bait & switch, look here we paid back the bailout money, but with what more bailout money. So for the most part the tax payers have made money on the bailout of the larger wall street firms.

How can you say that the wealthiest hardly got hurt during the market downturn of 08? They were invested in the stock market and to a larger extent then your average person. So to say they didn't get hurt is totally wrong. They lost money also, just like anyone that was invested. I worked for one of those firms and personally lost money and I know a lot of people that lost a lot.

I still don't get how you think this was all wall streets problem. What you are saying to me is that wall street and main street are the same.
How can you say that JP Morgan Chase, Goldman Sacks, Merrill Lynch which were all the mainstay of wall street and all went bust with people's money aren't to blame? How can you not think deregulation in 1982 by the all mighty Reagan didn't contribute? I lost a lot of money. It fucking broke me. I have a better chance at retirement now if I stick my money in my mattress

And if you think a movement that now prides it's self on calling themselves "patriots" as if they are more patriotic by carrying misspelled, overly racist & dress from head to toe in red, white & blue are just "libertarians" then by god I have never been so proud to be a card carrying Democrat. You have a bunch of people who listen to Rush Limbaugh (aka Porky Percocet) verbatim and take it as gospel. My favorite are the seniors with signs reading "keep the government out of my medicare". Where do they think their Medicare & Social Security comes from?? The Medicare & Social Securty fairies??

But this isn't about what we think of OWS. We can debate this till we are blue in the face and in the proper forum. This is about a band who's members are all about excess (private planes, designer shoes & eating at 5 star establishments) saying a portion of thier ticket sales going to a organization that is the complete opposite of who they are.
Btw that portion could be a penny per ticket for all we know since they didn't state exactly how much in the email.
I'm all for being charitable but I would have more respect for the gesture if the charity was more suited to the people involved.

LJF

#44 Post by LJF » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:18 pm

Romeo wrote:
LJF wrote:
Romeo wrote:

Citibank C on the NYSE

How can you say that JP Morgan Chase, Goldman Sacks, Merrill Lynch which were all the mainstay of wall street and all went bust with people's money aren't to blame? How can you not think deregulation in 1982 by the all mighty Reagan didn't contribute? I lost a lot of money. It fucking broke me. I have a better chance at retirement now if I stick my money in my mattress

And if you think a movement that now prides it's self on calling themselves "patriots" as if they are more patriotic by carrying misspelled, overly racist & dress from head to toe in red, white & blue are just "libertarians" then by god I have never been so proud to be a card carrying Democrat. You have a bunch of people who listen to Rush Limbaugh (aka Porky Percocet) verbatim and take it as gospel. My favorite are the seniors with signs reading "keep the government out of my medicare". Where do they think their Medicare & Social Security comes from?? The Medicare & Social Securty fairies??

But this isn't about what we think of OWS. We can debate this till we are blue in the face and in the proper forum. This is about a band who's members are all about excess (private planes, designer shoes & eating at 5 star establishments) saying a portion of thier ticket sales going to a organization that is the complete opposite of who they are.
Btw that portion could be a penny per ticket for all we know since they didn't state exactly how much in the email.
I'm all for being charitable but I would have more respect for the gesture if the charity was more suited to the people involved.
Well JPM & GS never went bust. Dereg by the government also isn't wall streets fault. How can you say more government control is better, when you are saying that government is to blame for 08? Which is it? Also even if you held MER stock you didn't go bust, because it converted to BAC which still trades. I know a lot of people lost money but saying it is wall streets fault is wrong. Again wall street didn't make people invest, didn't make people buy houses with stated income that was a lie. When everything was going up no one questioned why or what risk am I taking. Society as a whole was over leveraged and when the shit hit the fan, people want to blame others. Yes some on wall street deserve blame, but then so do the ratings agency and government and just about everyone.

I'm not a tea party person, but to say they are all racist is like me saying all of the OWS people are all on welfare looking for a hand out. My point is that the tea movement wasn't founded on racist beliefs and yes there are some racist people that took to a cause. A cause they probably didn't understand.

a headless shell

#45 Post by a headless shell » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:08 pm

Everyone knows Perry single-handedly inspired the Occupy Movement with the song Revolution Solution.

Romeo

#46 Post by Romeo » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:16 am

LJF wrote:
I'm not a tea party person, but to say they are all racist is like me saying all of the OWS people are all on welfare looking for a hand out.
Some??
Tea Bagger backed candidate:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/0 ... 26640.html

another Tea bagging darling:
http://www.teaparty.org/article.php?id=2606
Micahel Breitbart

need me to go on?

the New York Daily News put together the best of the "teabonic" signs of the wonderful followers

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... ery-1.1918

Hokahey
Site Admin

#47 Post by Hokahey » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:31 am

Romeo wrote:
LJF wrote:
I'm not a tea party person, but to say they are all racist is like me saying all of the OWS people are all on welfare looking for a hand out.
Some??

Micahel Breitbart

need me to go on?

the New York Daily News put together the best of the "teabonic" signs of the wonderful followers

Shame on you for ignoring the posts that explain to you how bullshit this post is.

LJF

#48 Post by LJF » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:38 am

Romeo wrote:
LJF wrote:
Some??

Micahel Breitbart

need me to go on?

So how does any of htis prove your point that the tea party is racist?

Romeo

#49 Post by Romeo » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:59 am

hokahey wrote:
Romeo wrote:
LJF wrote:
Some??

Micahel Breitbart

need me to go on?

Shame on you for ignoring the posts that explain to you how bullshit this post is.
Bullshit?? :lolol: examples, one of which calls itself "teaparty.org" is bullshit???? :lolol:
The rest of the country can see these people are racists, crazy, pro-christian and fuck any other religion especially Muslim Americans and your calling it bullshit??? OH because your beloved Ron Paul started it and other right wing nut jobs ran with it??

:crazy:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#50 Post by Hokahey » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:55 am

Romeo wrote:
hokahey wrote:
Romeo wrote:
LJF wrote:
Some??

Micahel Breitbart

need me to go on?

Bullshit?? :lolol: examples, one of which calls itself "teaparty.org" is bullshit???? :lolol:
The rest of the country can see these people are racists, crazy, pro-christian and fuck any other religion especially Muslim Americans and your calling it bullshit??? OH because your beloved Ron Paul started it and other right wing nut jobs ran with it??

:crazy:
I said your post is bullshit. Just like this one is. You have no idea what you're talking about and ignore the posts that attempt to explain that to you. Just like Ron Paul didn't start the Tea Party.

I'm not going to explain things over and over again if you have no desire to read and understand.

But I could post pics and links all day making Occupy look hateful and stupid in ways you couldn't disagree with except to say "but thats not representative of the movement as a whole" or "that's a skewed media representation."

Furthermore, NO ONE IS DISAGREEING. We all know the Tea Party has quite a few racist idiots attached to it now.