Lollapalooza 2012

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
JOEinPHX

Lollapalooza 2012

#1 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:32 am

Did anyone get tickets?

People are bitching on Facebook how no one could even get past the standby page and all the "early bird" tickets are already gone.

:noclue:

The ticket purchasing process seems to get worse and worse every year as they pack more and more people into the park. Buying before the lineup announcement doesn't even seem possible now.

Anyone thinking about going? I'm on the fence.

Pandemonium

Re: Lollapalooza 2012

#2 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:07 pm

Is there any good rumors as to who's playing it this year?

JOEinPHX

#3 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:13 pm

i've heard Beck, Beyonce, Metallica, and the RHCP

Which, if is true, you can count me out for sure.

sinep

#4 Post by sinep » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:32 pm

Six7Six7 wrote: Which, if is true, you can count me out for sure.
quit bitching about tickets then.

JOEinPHX

#5 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:51 pm

I'm not allowed to buy them cheap and then scalp them for more later should i choose to not go?

Piss off sinep. Answer the damn question.

sinep

#6 Post by sinep » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:42 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:I'm not allowed to buy them cheap and then scalp them for more later should i choose to not go?

i went to lollapalooza the first year in grant park. i had fun but i probably wouldn't go back. it's too much of a hassle when i have coachella, which is vastly superior, a hour and a half away.

JOEinPHX

#7 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:01 pm

sinep wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:I'm not allowed to buy them cheap and then scalp them for more later should i choose to not go?

i went to lollapalooza the first year in grant park. i had fun but i probably wouldn't go back. it's too much of a hassle when i have coachella, which is vastly superior, a hour and a half away.
I don't know about superior. The support bands are all pretty much the same, and the area Lollapalooza is in downtown Chicago is far superior to the middle of nowhere that Coachella takes place in.

sinep

#8 Post by sinep » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:14 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
sinep wrote:

I don't know about superior. The support bands are all pretty much the same, and the area Lollapalooza is in downtown Chicago is far superior to the middle of nowhere that Coachella takes place in.
the view of the skyline was cool, but that was spoken like somebody who has never been to the palm desert.

and yeah, they always share a portion of the bands, but headliners aside i can't think of a year i would have chosen lollapalooza over coachella solely based on support acts.

but i understand, you're from the midwest, you've got to support what little you've got.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#9 Post by Hokahey » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:28 am

sinep wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
sinep wrote:

the view of the skyline was cool, but that was spoken like somebody who has never been to the palm desert.

and yeah, they always share a portion of the bands, but headliners aside i can't think of a year i would have chosen lollapalooza over coachella solely based on support acts.

but i understand, you're from the midwest, you've got to support what little you've got.
States that aren't completely bankrupt? :noclue:

JOEinPHX

#10 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:01 am

sinep wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
sinep wrote:

1. I flew out to Coachella in 2001 to see Jane's. I also drove to Coachella (the area, not the festival) last summer with a friend.

There is nothing there. It's a tiny little nothing town in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do. And even if you want to make me a list of all the amazing little coffee shops and strip malls, that still doesn't compare to what you can experience downtown chicago within walking distance of the park.

2. I fucking hate the midwest and everything about it. I don't support shit about this place. I've just been to both areas and downtown chicago is far superior as far as things to do.

3. 75% of the reason I go to festivals is for the support acts. There's usually a 90% chance I have already seen the headliners, and even if i haven't.... they are only 90-120 minutes of an 11 hour day. I go to find new bands I haven't heard before. So that's cool, you drive out to the middle of nowhere to see Depeche Mode. I'm going to go have a good time in the city and find 7 new bands i otherwise never would have heard of :rockon:

clickie

#11 Post by clickie » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:01 pm

when it comes to weather you gotta give the nod to Coachella. The heat and humidity at that time of year in Chicago is brutal... :fear:

JOEinPHX

#12 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:24 pm

clickie wrote:when it comes to weather you gotta give the nod to Coachella. The heat and humidity at that time of year in Chicago is brutal... :fear:
See i don't even know about that.

if you're comparing 80 degrees to 80 degrees, maybe.

Lollapalooza still has the cool breeze coming off Lake Michigan though. So even at it's hottest, there is still relief.

Although to be fair, i went the very first year when it was 112 degrees and 80 degrees at coachella was far superior. Coachella was rightfully planned in April. Any month after that and people would be dying.

sinep

#13 Post by sinep » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:08 pm

clickie wrote:when it comes to weather you gotta give the nod to Coachella. The heat and humidity at that time of year in Chicago is brutal... :fear:
exactly, all the coachellas i've been to have been between 90-105 with 0% humidity. its never even bothered me.

lollapalooza was 85 degrees with about 400% humidity. it was fucking awful.

sinep

#14 Post by sinep » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:25 pm

1. I flew out to Coachella in 2001 to see Jane's. I also drove to Coachella (the area, not the festival) last summer with a friend.

There is nothing there. It's a tiny little nothing town in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do. And even if you want to make me a list of all the amazing little coffee shops and strip malls, that still doesn't compare to what you can experience downtown chicago within walking distance of the park.

2. I fucking hate the midwest and everything about it. I don't support shit about this place. I've just been to both areas and downtown chicago is far superior as far as things to do.
really? you couldn't find anything to do in palm springs other than "strip malls and coffee shops?" the city is a playground. that's sort of the point of palm springs. must be lame being you.

even with all that aside, maybe i've just been lucky. every year i've gone to coachella i've had an in to the anthem pool party or the rolling stone party, and they're always open bar at these huge desert mansions. i think one of the magazines use to use frank sinatra's house out there. or maybe it was some other classic celebrity. i forget who.

those are always a blast.

3. 75% of the reason I go to festivals is for the support acts. There's usually a 90% chance I have already seen the headliners, and even if i haven't.... they are only 90-120 minutes of an 11 hour day. I go to find new bands I haven't heard before. So that's cool, you drive out to the middle of nowhere to see Depeche Mode. I'm going to go have a good time in the city and find 7 new bands i otherwise never would have heard of :rockon:
i completely agree. if i had the means i would go to coachella every year, even if i hadn't heard of a single band.

both are cool festivals. i'd go to lollapalooza every year if i have the means. it's just at coachella i'm not in a humid park, with 150,000 mid westerners.

mockbee

#15 Post by mockbee » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:05 pm

sinep, all I see is douchbag on a horse, and then 30 douchbags in a pool........ :lolol: :lol:

We are a diverse bunch.

Yes, Six7six7 is being ignorant when he speaks of Coachella Valley. Outside of the strip malls, douchbags and retirees, it is one of the most beautiful regions in California, and there are many, many, many to choose from.

When I think of Palm Springs, I think of mid-century modern and Joshua Tree NP.... :noclue:

JOEinPHX

#16 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:38 pm

mockbee wrote:sinep, all I see is douchbag on a horse, and then 30 douchbags in a pool........ :lolol: :lol:

We are a diverse bunch.

Yes, Six7six7 is being ignorant when he speaks of Coachella Valley. Outside of the strip malls, douchbags and retirees, it is one of the most beautiful regions in California, and there are many, many, many to choose from.

When I think of Palm Springs, I think of mid-century modern and Joshua Tree NP.... :noclue:

I'm not talking about Coachella Valley. or Palm Springs. Sure, a car ride will take you nice places. Might as well throw all of California in there if that's what you're going to do.

I am talking A REASONABLY SHORT DISTANCE. The area directly surrounding where you're hanging out all day. There is not fuckall in Indio around the polo field.

Whereas with Lollapalooza, Grant Park is right across the street from a thriving city area.

But yeah, Palm Springs.... 23.1 miles away from Indio (according to google maps). Nice area. :eyes: (That's not sarcasm. It's a nice area. It's just not anywhere near Coachella)

Artemis

#17 Post by Artemis » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:47 pm

Coachella appeals to me for its beautiful setting, but seems like a pain in the ass to get to. I mean from the nearest lodging to the actual venue area. I hate having to rely on a car or shuttlebus service. In Chicago a hotel can be found within walking distance from the park, which is great for taking a little break from everything, or just to use a real bathroom instead of a port-o-let.

ant

#18 Post by ant » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:46 pm

I've been Coachella and I've been to Lolla. Lolla is a better festival hands down. Coachella is ripe with LA douchebags and people posing, armed Indio police officers in the festival and you can only drink a beer in the 'beer garden' or whatever. Lolla also does a better job with getting good local food vendors for the festival. Plus when the festival is over there ain't shit to do in Indio. Chicago's summer weather isn't the best but at least you can go out for a decent meal and some beers after the festival or even go check out bands at a club.

Larry B.

#19 Post by Larry B. » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:03 am

Leaked lineup

a headless shell

#20 Post by a headless shell » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:01 pm

Larry B. wrote:Leaked lineup

what's the source for this here?

Larry B.

#21 Post by Larry B. » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:12 pm

Not sure, but it's pretty widespread already.

Tomorrow is the official announcement, right?

trevor ayer

#22 Post by trevor ayer » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:20 pm

looks like the usual overload of crap .. man that first lolla was great .. 7 bands and no bullshit .. i wonder if perry paid bill ward extra just so sabbath could be real .. i would .. die antwoord is the shit .. not much else on there that doesn't need 150 other bands to help sell the ticket

Pandemonium

#23 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:41 pm

trevor ayer wrote:looks like the usual overload of crap .. man that first lolla was great .. 7 bands and no bullshit .. i wonder if perry paid bill ward extra just so sabbath could be real .. i would .. die antwoord is the shit .. not much else on there that doesn't need 150 other bands to help sell the ticket
I think they're going with Vinnie Appice who was the drummer when Dio was in Black Sabbath/Heaven and Hell.

SR

#24 Post by SR » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:09 am

I've never been this close to pulling the trigger on Lolla in Chitown. My son is going to be a senior in HS next year and he's done quite well. I'd like to do something nice for the both of us. I love Chicago and there are some gems on the card (for the both of us) and a couple of added special perks would serve for a great lifetime memory for us.

Checkin tix, flights and hotels today. :thumb:

sinep

#25 Post by sinep » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:08 am

i went the summer after i graduated highschool.