Duff enjoying the Mountain Song riff?

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
trevor ayer

Re: Duff enjoying the Mountain Song riff?

#26 Post by trevor ayer » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:33 pm

stp is a bazillion times better than that fucking pearl jam crap .. weiland wipes his ass with vedder

Juana

#27 Post by Juana » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:12 pm

trevor ayer wrote:stp is a bazillion times better than that fucking pearl jam crap .. weiland wipes his ass with vedder
WE AGREE!

But yeah toward the Tiny Music era Scott had distanced himself and started doing other stuff, I would also say that his first solo album is still awesome to me to this day. "Divider" is such a cool tune.

Deconstruction

#28 Post by Deconstruction » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:40 pm

Again to the people who said Scott ripped off Eddie, I give you the Wicked Garden demo, recorded in 1990 before Pearl Jam ever existed. To me Wicked Garden is the quintessential example of the Core sound. They had obviously formulated this sound before PJ/the Grunge explosion. Scott Weiland and Robert DeLeo began writing together in 1986.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=952e35lDpgY

How can they rip off a band that didn't exist yet?

Also from 1990, Only Dying, which they planned to re-record for the Crow soundtrack but didn't due to Brandon Lee's death. Did STP hop in a time machine to the future to hear Pearl Jam?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvH1SHAR3AM

Essence_Smith

#29 Post by Essence_Smith » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:41 pm

Stone Gossard Pirates...

JOEinPHX

#30 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:00 pm

That Kurt Cobain sure was a clever one.

Except that time he put that shotgun in his mouth and painted his wall with what used to be inside of his skull.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#31 Post by Hokahey » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:18 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:That Kurt Cobain sure was a clever one.

Except that time he put that shotgun in his mouth and painted his wall with what used to be inside of his skull.
You get so angry about Stone Temple Pilots. :lol:

JOEinPHX

#32 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:07 pm

i'm not angry.

I was just making fun of Kurt Cobain killing himself. Because it's hilarious.

kv

#33 Post by kv » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:10 pm

Deconstruction wrote:Again to the people who said Scott ripped off Eddie, I give you the Wicked Garden demo, recorded in 1990 before Pearl Jam ever existed. To me Wicked Garden is the quintessential example of the Core sound. They had obviously formulated this sound before PJ/the Grunge explosion. Scott Weiland and Robert DeLeo began writing together in 1986.

Also from 1990, Only Dying, which they planned to re-record for the Crow soundtrack but didn't due to Brandon Lee's death. Did STP hop in a time machine to the future to hear Pearl Jam?

:bs:
ya but they were both from san diego and vedder had bands prior to mighty joe young...hell eddie could have ripped them off or they could have ripped him off nobody knows...so your facts don't mean shit...we don't know... they prob influenced each other

JOEinPHX

#34 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:31 pm

yeah or they both were influenced by the same bands from the 70s since they are the same damn age.

We could just go with that.

Deconstruction

#35 Post by Deconstruction » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:32 pm

kv wrote:
Deconstruction wrote:Again to the people who said Scott ripped off Eddie, I give you the Wicked Garden demo, recorded in 1990 before Pearl Jam ever existed. To me Wicked Garden is the quintessential example of the Core sound. They had obviously formulated this sound before PJ/the Grunge explosion. Scott Weiland and Robert DeLeo began writing together in 1986.

:bs:
ya but they were both from san diego and vedder had bands prior to mighty joe young...hell eddie could have ripped them off or they could have ripped him off nobody knows...so your facts don't mean shit...we don't know... they prob influenced each other
BS? The songs I linked you to are from 1990. Do you need audio of Scott Weiland singing Wicked Garden as a baby or something to prove he didn't rip off Vedder?

STP didn't start playing in San Diego at all until at least spring/summer of 1990, Vedder was gone by the fall of 1990 to Seattle. STP's main base was LA with some shows in San Diego as well since Dean had connections there. I doubt their paths crossed at all, at least Eddie has claimed they didn't cross paths back then.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#36 Post by Hokahey » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:46 am

Show me where they recorded Plush before hearing PJ and we'll talk.

Kajicat

#37 Post by Kajicat » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:49 am

I never really look at it as STP and PJ ripping each other off, but rather as them both riding the "Grunge Wave" in the beginning (STP only did this for ONE album - Core). If anything, when listening through their discography STP seems like they were hugely influenced by Zeppelin musically, and by Jim Morrison vocally.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#38 Post by Hokahey » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:07 am

How does anyone here Morrison in what Weiland was doing on Core? I dont hear it.

JOEinPHX

#39 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:10 am

How does anyone hear Vedder on Core?

It's very clearly 2 very different singers.

Essence_Smith

#40 Post by Essence_Smith » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:01 am

For the record I do like a few STP songs, but when they initially were presented to the public they were clearly marketed to fall in line with the whole grunge deal at the time...I remember there were tv commercials before the album release etc kinda putting that forward...their second record is actually a MUCH better and more unique sounding album than anything on the first and they definitely had a different look/approach going on...everything else since I haven't cared for much, but they had a few songs...as far as Morrison = Scott I don't see it at all and generally people see more of a Vedder bite thing on that first album it seems pretty obvious imo... :noclue:

As far as Kurt goes, his suicide definitely tainted how I look at him and I don't respect his decision as he had a child to think about, but he was indeed a funny guy, and he was right (at that point in time) about STP imo...they were like the Monkees to PJ's Beatles, they did do a good enough job on the second album though...

Hokahey
Site Admin

#41 Post by Hokahey » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:40 am

I love Purple and Tiny Music. Brilliant albums IMO. Core is awful. Have only casually listened to anything after Tiny Music. Velvet Revolver had some good songs.

Kajicat

#42 Post by Kajicat » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:36 pm

hokahey wrote:How does anyone here Morrison in what Weiland was doing on Core? I dont hear it.
Not so much on Core...that was def the Weiland vs. Vedder thing goin' on.

Weiland has said himself that he models his singing after Morrison. It's apparent in every album after core, especially the later ones. He even looks like him here:

kv

#43 Post by kv » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:36 pm

soooo tired of stp threads on this site jesus christ

JOEinPHX

#44 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:47 pm

It's unavoidable, STP and Jane's are almost identical.

Hype

#45 Post by Hype » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:57 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:It's unavoidable, STP and Jane's are almost identical.
I hope you stabbed yourself in the ears with Q-tips before saying that.

JOEinPHX

#46 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:21 pm

You don't see it?

Both bands: heavily reliant on the groove of the bass player

Both bands: guitar player all about layers and textures

Both bands: wiry heroin-shooting frontmen who dance and stalk around the stage like a crazy person

Both bands: multiple breakups and reformations

Both bands: Book and cancel shows on a whim

Both bands: cut down in their prime by drug addiction

Both bands: lead singers write half their songs about their spouse/muse

Both bands: Singer joined up with 80s guitar player for their secondary band in the 2000s

Both bands: Live popularity (ability to fill larger venues) completely dependent on whether or not they currently have a hit on the radio.

Both bands: Frontman frequently does solo tours performing original band's material

Should I keep going? I'm sure there's more similarities.

blackula

#47 Post by blackula » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:03 pm

FUCK OFF!

one band created a trend, the other jumped on and rode the wave.

How old are you? A Tribal History of American Harcore is a good book. Our Band Can Be Your Life is the next logical step. 101. STP were big because Jane's did what they did. It was musical, cultural, and a continuation of original bands breaking through to the mainstream. Underground bands were signed to mainstream labels in the mid eighties, but most already shot their load on earlier albums. Jane's came out during a time of shitty hair metal and a dying alternative scene. The success they had paved the way for the entire nineties. Labels, magazines, and MTV would not have looked at STP had Jane's not come along. It may have been someone else if it wasen't Jane's, obviously shit would have moved on, but it was Jane's. They can not be compared.

kv

#48 Post by kv » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:46 pm

^

Tyler Durden

#49 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:09 pm

Another STP debate thread?

STP's music is nonsensical; mediocre AT BEST...if you're someone who ONLY listens to "rock" music.

Comparing Pearl Jam to STP is like comparing Pavement to Weezer. :idea: One is the real deal, while the other is a cheesy fake ass band of opportunists.

Kajicat

#50 Post by Kajicat » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:40 am

Wow, I'd have to say both Six7Six7 and Blackula are correct!

Tyler Durden wrote:Another STP debate thread?

STP's music is nonsensical; mediocre AT BEST...if you're someone who ONLY listens to "rock" music.

Comparing Pearl Jam to STP is like comparing Pavement to Weezer. :idea: One is the real deal, while the other is a cheesy fake ass band of opportunists.
Love how you say "ANOTHER STP debate?" and then continue to make such absurd remarks :lol: You seem stuck in the Core vs. Ten era. STP isn't even close to being nonsensical or fake music. Sounds like all you've ever heard is Core. Go through the rest of their catalog, I dare you! Before they were STP they were Mighty Joe Young and had tracks together before Pearl Jam did, but they both released around the same time during the grunge wave. Even if they were opportunists for their first album, they obviously made a name for themselves in a huge way with the second album, Purple. And from there on out they did their own thing. Everyone is entitled to their own taste, but to say STP is fake/cheesy/nonsensical music is incredibly fucking incorrect.

Try some of these tracks and quit it with the ignorance: