Download TGEA for free

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Hype

Re: Download TGEA for free

#76 Post by Hype » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:14 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:Duh. Look at Led Zeppelin and The Beatles.
The correlation is not an equivalence. :essence:

Matz

#77 Post by Matz » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:43 pm

hokahey wrote:
Bandit72 wrote:Am I the only person on here who prefers Ritual to NS?
I do too.
so do I, it's more diverse and it features perhaps their two best songs imo Then She Did and Three Days which seals the deal for me

Hype

#78 Post by Hype » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:46 pm

Matz wrote:
hokahey wrote:
Bandit72 wrote:Am I the only person on here who prefers Ritual to NS?
I do too.
so do I, it's more diverse and it features perhaps their two best songs imo Then She Did and Three Days which seals the deal for me
Ted is as good or better than Then She Did. :nod: Seriously... I can play Then She Did... I can't play Ted.. It's fucking insane.

Matz

#79 Post by Matz » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:55 pm

yeah of course, what you can't play on guitar is better.

Hype

#80 Post by Hype » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:06 pm

Matz wrote:yeah of course, what you can't play on guitar is better.
:lol: It's just monstrous... it's actually not because I can't play it... I love all three of those songs almost equally... but Ted scares the shit out of people who've never heard it. I used to get people banging on the glass at the radio station back in my undergrad years asking "What the hell was that?!" :nod:

Matz

#81 Post by Matz » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:50 pm

Ted's great don't get me wrong, it's cool and rare to have a band that can...could produce such deep and very different vibes

Hype

#82 Post by Hype » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:11 pm

Had a Dad and Idiot's Rule don't really have equals in their raw power (iggy-stoogy quality) or anger on Ritual... Ritual's a very "polished" album -- even Ain't No Right sounds better acoustic/live to me than on the album.

Deconstruction

#83 Post by Deconstruction » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:21 pm

Count me in on the Ritual is my favorite JA album club. Then She Did is one of the most epic heart wrenching songs of all time.

I liked TGEA a lot more when it came out due to the excitement of getting a new JA album and it not being a bunch of I Like Em Big/Nasty Little Perv type songs. I just listened for the first time in a few months and this is my current view on the songs.

Love: Underground,
Like: I'll Hit You Back, Splash A Little Water On It, Words Right Out Of My Mouth
Meh: End to the Lies, Broken People, Twisted Tales
Hate: Irresistible Force, Ultimate Reason, Curiosity Kills

Underground to me is classic JA and the one song that is on par with the original albums. I like I'll Hit You Back and Words Right Out Of My Mouth because they have the best melodies on the album. I'll Hit You Back also has emotion and lyrics from the heart, sure it's overproduced but whatever. Words is a fun rock song, the energy level on the song is great along with a memorable hook and melody, it's a nice turn off your brain rock song. Splash A Little Water On It has the best instrumental of the album and especially near the end Perry sounds inspired.

Twisted Tales is just kind of boring. Broken People has a nice melody but it's the type of song that could have been a 6-7 minute epic, instead it doesn't really go anywhere. End to the Lies has some nice guitar/drum sounds and some interesting melodic stuff, but the lyrics are just too fucking stupid. Speaking of shitty lyrics, IF's lyrics are just awful. Especially the verses, terrible melody for the verses and the lyrics are just so bad it doesn't even sound like a real song, memorable pop chorus but it gets on my nerves and the verses kill any potential it had. Ultimate Reason could be the worst song in the JA catalog, terrible melody and uninspired lyrics and boring generic rock riff. Curiosity Kills is just really boring melodically and musically, they should have ditched the song and made a full song out of the "look away" part.

Strays is way better than TGEA. There was still creativity there and it doesn't sound like them just barely finishing an album, TGEA does. True Nature, Just Because, Strays, Price I Pay, and Hypersonic are all really solid rock songs. I like Suffer Some, To Match The Sun, and Everybody's Friend alright too, and Superhero is a fun guilty pleasure song. It hits the mark on being a catchy commercial rock song where Irresistible Force utterly fails. The only song on the album that I hate is Wrong Girl.

Hype

#84 Post by Hype » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:10 pm

To Match The Sun is as bad as Wrong Girl. :mad:

Both albums are really bad. :neutral:

It's mostly not the musicians' faults... though most of their work is boring as hell... but Perry almost always sounds like a dying walrus being dragged across a chalkboard. Especially when he tries to scream like the old days (like in Wrong Girl, or Price I Pay or Irresistible Force... ugh... just... dying walrus screeching...) :jasper:

The albums would be passable if he'd only figured out how to sing with 40+ (and now 50+) year old vocal chords. There's a reason why Maynard doesn't sing The Grudge or Ticks and Leeches anymore (he's said it himself... his 40 year old voice doesn't cut it for those 20 year old songs...) and it's irritating that "Jane's Addiction" hasn't developed into something that actually works with Perry's voice.

trevor ayer

#85 Post by trevor ayer » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:44 pm

ok so what score do you give a record that is so bad it makes you hate your FAVORITE BAND OF ALL FUCKING TIME .. cuz thats what tgea should get

i vote for negative 5 thousand .. that sums up tgea pretty good

and ps .. yes the best classic punk record should be ranked next to the best classical record .. classical music is just simple melodies and phrases all snootied up because its commissioned work for kings .. it blows and its not that impressive once you understand music .. it would be like if george bush paid lady gaga to write a song .. its a complete sell out crap .. i'll take sonic youth daydream nation over any crap classical elevator music ass shit anyday .. or pixies or cure

pps .. did tool rip off pigs in zen with sober ... i say tool made the next 2 janes records with opiate and undertow .. if ur lookin for the next janes record that doesn't suck .. pyros .. polar bear .. banyan and spread carried the torch nicely .. after that it was over for those guys ... gotta look to other bands that were influenced by janes .. perry is all talk and no action these days

stooges definately influenced janes .. they covered them a couple times and so did pyros .. raw power doesn't blow me away like the first 2 stooges tho

also redigging monster magnet spine of god lately .. just throwin that out there

stp are ...... ok .... lets not pretend they are THAT good .. cmon people .. they are better than pearl jam tho .. thats for fuckin sure .. ugh .. jeremy shoulda spoke at a pj concert

JOEinPHX

#86 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:58 pm

STP better than PJ? You're on crack.

The only bands that are even in Pearl Jam's league are pretty much just the bands who influenced them: Neil Young, The Who, Zeppelin, The Ramones, etc...

When your band is only 15 years old, and your record company puts out a Greatest Hits album... and it's a DOUBLE DISK, you're doing something right. When you're selling out 20,000 seat arenas 20 years after your peak popularity, WITHOUT having to do a package tour with 6 other bands from your era, you're doing something right.

Those guys are getting in the R&R HOF on their first eligible year, with 100% of the vote from the committee.

STP might make it in after RATM, Tool, and all the other non-Seattle 90s Alt Rock bands get their turn.

Hype

#87 Post by Hype » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:15 pm

STP will never be in the HOF. :mad:

JOEinPHX

#88 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:21 pm

Yes they will.

It may be 3rd or 4th ballot and around their 30th year as a band, but they will get in.

Bands like Bush, Candlebox, and Silverchair have a little more to be worried about.

Hype

#89 Post by Hype » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:32 pm

Am I going to have to bet on this, like when I bet Larry there wouldn't be a catastrophic nuclear attack in 2012?

Speaking of which, Larry, you've got just over 6 months left before you send me my books...

I will bet you $50 (payable in some sort of online fashion) that STP is NEVER inducted in the the R&R HOF. :nod: Oh... on the condition that you not bring them up again until that happens. :lol:

Larry B.

#90 Post by Larry B. » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:39 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:Am I going to have to bet on this, like when I bet Larry there wouldn't be a catastrophic nuclear attack in 2012?

Speaking of which, Larry, you've got just over 6 months left before you send me my books...
1. we just bet on a nuclear attack (i.e., not necessarily catastrophic.)
2. you goin' down, dawg.
3. amma wait fo mah bewks. n'amma chaews faken harrebl bewks jast 2 mess wid yo head.

JOEinPHX

#91 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:54 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:Am I going to have to bet on this, like when I bet Larry there wouldn't be a catastrophic nuclear attack in 2012?

I will bet you $50 (payable in some sort of online fashion) that STP is NEVER inducted in the the R&R HOF. :nod: Oh... on the condition that you not bring them up again until that happens. :lol:
50 bucks isn't very much money. I'll take that bet.

BUT, i won't agree to the second part.

I would never again mention STP for 5,000 if you want to pay me right now.

In fact, for 1000 you can name any band you like (STP and Jane's not included) and I will never talk about them here ever again.

For 25,000 I will get an STP or Jane's tattoo. For an extra 5000 you can decide which.

Larry B.

#92 Post by Larry B. » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:59 pm

for 500k i'll shave my body on a weekly basis and mail you every single hair along with a loving letter.

i can't promise i'd shave every inch of my butt, though. certain spots are really tough.

Hype

#93 Post by Hype » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:23 pm

Larry B. wrote:

2. you goin' down, dawg.
3. amma wait fo mah bewks. n'amma chaews faken harrebl bewks jast 2 mess wid yo head.
... We actually bet on the world ending (via Mayan prophesy)... you admitted that's fucking crazy, and then said what you really had in mind was a nuclear attack... but dude.. *attack* implies catastrophe... that's why no one has set off nukes as an act of war (or even terrorism) since Hiroshima and Nagasaki... By 'nuclear' is meant 'nuclear bomb', not any old nuclear material... You can't mean that, because people are poisoned with polonium all the time (see Georgi Gongadze), probably by psycho governments.

As for Six7Six7... dude... I really don't care how much the bet is for, because if STP gets into the R&R HOF, then the world really will end and I'll owe Larry some goddamn books. :mad:

JOEinPHX

#94 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:34 pm

Upcoming R&R HOF ceremonies that will happen

Duran Duran
Depeche Mode
NIN
Faith No More
Jane's Addiction
Smashing Pumpkins
Soundgarden
Alice In Chains
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Green Day
RATM
Tool
Lenny Kravitz
Stone Temple Pilots

All of them. For sure. In the next 5 years.

The RHCP and Beastie Boys getting in this year were just the start of the alternative scene getting all the attention for quite awhile.

Larry B.

#95 Post by Larry B. » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:10 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Larry B. wrote:

2. you goin' down, dawg.
... We actually bet on the world ending (via Mayan prophesy)... you admitted that's fucking crazy, and then said what you really had in mind was a nuclear attack... but dude.. *attack* implies catastrophe... that's why no one has set off nukes as an act of war (or even terrorism) since Hiroshima and Nagasaki... By 'nuclear' is meant 'nuclear bomb', not any old nuclear material... You can't mean that, because people are poisoned with polonium all the time (see Georgi Gongadze), probably by psycho governments.
Nah, our bet is clear: if a nuclear bomb explodes as an act of war (i.e., not as a test), I win. There's good faith involved in the bet, as well. So if during a nuclear test a guy dies because he got too fucking close, I won't claim victory.

I'll suggest putting those USD 40 in a term deposit due around January 5. That way at least you'll gain something from your loss.

Pandemonium

#96 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:03 am

trevor ayer wrote:ok so what score do you give a record that is so bad it makes you hate your FAVORITE BAND OF ALL FUCKING TIME .. cuz thats what tgea should get
All my favorite bands who've been around for a couple decades or more have put out a steaming turd by now. Probably the most epically bad album would have to be VH3 which was Van Halen's 1998 album with their 3rd singer, Gary Cherone.

Not exactly a concert highlight:

trevor ayer

#97 Post by trevor ayer » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:17 am

Six7Six7 wrote:STP better than PJ? You're on crack.

The only bands that are even in Pearl Jam's league are pretty much just the bands who influenced them: Neil Young, The Who, Zeppelin, The Ramones, etc...

When your band is only 15 years old, and your record company puts out a Greatest Hits album... and it's a DOUBLE DISK, you're doing something right. When you're selling out 20,000 seat arenas 20 years after your peak popularity, WITHOUT having to do a package tour with 6 other bands from your era, you're doing something right.

Those guys are getting in the R&R HOF on their first eligible year, with 100% of the vote from the committee.

STP might make it in after RATM, <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">Tool</a>, and all the other non-Seattle 90s Alt Rock bands get their turn.

pearl jam in the same league as led zep .. now u are on crack .. holy shit dude .. someone needs to put vedder out of his misery .. he could sing the soundtrack to on golden pond or maybe steel magnolias .. yes he sucks that bad .. next ur gonna say justin bieber is in the same leage as led zep because he sells out stadiums .. pj has zero hits .. all their songs suck .. and vedder is the worst 'trying to sound sincere" singer ever .. pj is everything that ever went wrong with alt rock .. i bet u listen to daughtry too .. maybe someone should get you daughtrys greatest hits for xmas .. or would you like some hootie and the blowfish to go with your pj collection ..

Matz

#98 Post by Matz » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:22 am

Six7Six7 wrote:Yes they will.

It may be 3rd or 4th ballot and around their 30th year as a band, but they will get in.

Bands like Bush, Candlebox, and Silverchair have a little more to be worried about.
If Bush are inducted in the hall I'm travelling to the US with a neon banner saying "Nooooooooooooo!!" and get to work protesting. That would be so fuckin wrong if they're inducted.

Silverchair I'm not sure about. They're way better than Bush but are they worthy anyway. that's a tough one actually

Hype

#99 Post by Hype » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:41 am

Fuck all of those. The Verve, Oasis and Blur all need to be inducted first.

:nod:

Larry B.

#100 Post by Larry B. » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:48 am

Six7Six7 wrote:The RHCP and Beastie Boys getting in this year were just the start of the alternative scene getting all the attention for quite awhile.
A neat trick to avoid accepting the death of rock & roll. Hell, Miles Davis was inducted in 2006. He was awesome, but rock & roll? Rock?

And how can you include Soundgarden in a hall of fame alongside Carl Perkins, Chuck Berry, Elvis and The Beatles?

Soundgarden? Jeez. Not every rock band that appeared on MTV during the 90s needs to be inducted.

From your list, NIN, Faith No More, Nirvana, Pearl Jam and RATM deserve to be included in the HoF. Their influence is indisputable, even beyond music. They play rock. They are the least-worse rock bands from the last 20 years (excluding FNM, which is the last great fucking rock band in existence and the most influential.)