Adurentibus Spina wrote:It's all beyond control. :nod:
And in one fell swoop, there goes the entire soft science of psychology. :lol:

Hype

Re: Inger Lorrre

#28 Post by Hype » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:26 am

SR wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:It's all beyond control. :nod:
And in one fell swoop, there goes the entire soft science of psychology. :lol:
Neuropsych uses 'control' to mean that certain areas of the prefrontal cortex inhibit impulses (usually emotional). Something's being "under control" in that sense doesn't mean it's any less necessary, since we don't seem to have a mechanism that controls whether we're able to control ourselves or not. People with PFC lesions are impulsive.

Here's a good article on it: http://www.scn.ucla.edu/pdf/Cohen_Berkm ... hapter.pdf
It has been hypothesized that this tendency to make maladaptive,
risky decisions is due to the impairment of emotional
circuitry caused by VMPFC lesions (the somatic
marker hypothesis; Bechara, 2004; Damasio, 1994). " is
theory states that healthy decision making requires a link
between autonomic responses to risky and emotional stimuli
and control regions in the brain, such as the VMPFC.
However, poor performance on the IGT has also been seen
in patients with lesions in the DLPFC (Fellows & Farah,
2005; Manes et al., 2002), a region not associated with
risky decision making or emotional circuitry. " erefore,
whether this poor performance is due to risky impulses
or to other processes hypothesized to be involved in the
task, such as learning outcome probabilities, long-term
strategy development (Manes et al., 2002; Wu, Zhang, &
Gonzalez, 2004), or reversal learning (Dunn, Dalgleish, &
Lawrence, 2006; Fellows & Farah, 2005), is under debate.
However, it is understood that this is not a task that only
measures the lack of self-control associated with risky
behavior. Even given the potential confounds of the IGT,
a few neuroimaging studies have examined the neural
regions involved in successful performance. In a positron
emission tomography (PET) study, overall earnings on the
IGT were correlated with the magnitude of regional cerebral
blood % ow in the rVLPFC, as well as in the right anterior
insula and the right head of the caudate nucleus (Ernst
et al., 2002). In other words, participants who were able to
suppress the impulsive urge to choose short-term higher
gains so that they could maximize long-term gains utilized
a right-lateralized network, including the rVLPFC, more
than participants who responded based on those impulsive
urges. As mentioned before, it is important to realize that
self-control over risky behavior may be confounded with
learning, strategy development, or reversal learning in this
task.
(Damasio, btw, wrote a cool book called "Looking for Spinoza", you might like, SR.)

Tyler Durden

#29 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:48 am

"Unsubscribe topic".

Thanks for ruining yet another thread, Hype. How many is this now? :balls:

Hype

#30 Post by Hype » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:51 am

Tyler Durden wrote:"Unsubscribe topic".

Thanks for ruining yet another thread, Hype. How many is this now? :balls:
You can put me on the "foe" list so my posts don't show up if you like. Where was this thread going to go, anyway? A thread about how mentally ill two women in rock history are is kind of sketchy to begin with. There seems to be a double standard: if a man acts like a drug-addled lunatic, he's a rock god; if a woman does it, she's crazy. :waits:

Tyler Durden

#31 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:59 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
A thread about how mentally ill two women in rock history are is kind of sketchy to begin with. There seems to be a double standard: if a man acts like a drug-addled lunatic, he's a rock god; if a woman does it, she's crazy. :waits:
I totally agree. I was just trying to appease the blind "Courtney Love is the DEVIL" people.

mockbee

#32 Post by mockbee » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:22 am

This is a fantastic video/track...... wow.

:rockon:

Tyler Durden

#33 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:46 am

mockbee wrote:

Does anyone have a "A Practical Guide to Astral Projection" ripped at 320?

JOEinPHX

#34 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:37 pm

What a crazy bitch.

Smokestack

#35 Post by Smokestack » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:36 pm

mockbee wrote:

I think I've listened to it half a dozen times today. Good stuff. :rockon:

blackcoffee

#36 Post by blackcoffee » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:22 pm

I only knew of her place in Jane's history because of the oral history that was published. having now heard that song I'm keen on picking up the Nymphs catalog however crazy (and beautiful) she may be. People are quick to judge her and say, "what a crazy bitch," but have you ever had, um, intimate relations with someone of her ilk? It's a lot of fun. Just saying.

SR

#37 Post by SR » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:35 pm

But she doesn't have a penis. If she were a guy all would be forgiven. :hehe:

Hype

#38 Post by Hype » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:37 pm

SR wrote:But she doesn't have a penis. If she were a guy all would be forgiven. :hehe:
That's what I'm saying.

Pandemonium

#39 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:14 am

SR wrote:But she doesn't have a penis. If she were a guy all would be forgiven. :hehe:
Jaz Coleman begs to differ.

Pandemonium

#40 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:26 am

blackcoffee wrote:I only knew of her place in Jane's history because of the oral history that was published. having now heard that song I'm keen on picking up the Nymphs catalog however crazy (and beautiful) she may be. People are quick to judge her and say, "what a crazy bitch," but have you ever had, um, intimate relations with someone of her ilk? It's a lot of fun. Just saying.
No, it's not. The glow of crazy, weird sex burns out real quick when you start getting bizarre phone calls at 3am - some from her, some from her "friends "(guy and gal, usually concerning drugs), money starts disappearing out of your wallet every time she stays over, you go crazy trying to figure out if every thing she says is a lie (it usually is) and you have to worry about getting dragged into a fight with some stranger for no good reason every time you go out in public with her because she somehow draws trouble even when you're just stopped at a gas station filling up. I mean, if you like living your life in a hellish, doomed relationship where you never know if you're gonna get dragged into some bullshit that leads to confrontations with cops, more power to ya.

Essence_Smith

#41 Post by Essence_Smith » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:42 am

Pandemonium wrote:
blackcoffee wrote:I only knew of her place in Jane's history because of the oral history that was published. having now heard that song I'm keen on picking up the Nymphs catalog however crazy (and beautiful) she may be. People are quick to judge her and say, "what a crazy bitch," but have you ever had, um, intimate relations with someone of her ilk? It's a lot of fun. Just saying.
No, it's not. The glow of crazy, weird sex burns out real quick when you start getting bizarre phone calls at 3am - some from her, some from her "friends "(guy and gal, usually concerning drugs), money starts disappearing out of your wallet every time she stays over, you go crazy trying to figure out if every thing she says is a lie (it usually is) and you have to worry about getting dragged into a fight with some stranger for no good reason every time you go out in public with her because she somehow draws trouble even when you're just stopped at a gas station filling up. I mean, if you like living your life in a hellish, doomed relationship where you never know if you're gonna get dragged into some bullshit that leads to confrontations with cops, more power to ya.
C'mon dude...we've heard your stories...you're clearly biased here... :hehe:

I have had my experiences with ahem "crazy"...ya just need to hit...and RUN...or jump out of windows...or moving vehicles... :lolol:

Tyler Durden

#42 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:15 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Pandemonium speaks THE TRUTH. :nod:

SR

#43 Post by SR » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:22 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Whoever that is.....I was joking. I don't hold a double standard for those with dicks and those with vaginas for the crazy acid test. Check my posts on Axl.

Pandemonium

#44 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:50 pm

SR wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:
Whoever that is.....I was joking. I don't hold a double standard for those with dicks and those with vaginas for the crazy acid test. Check my posts on Axl.
Seek out the Killing Joke thread for the near-daily rundown on Coleman's latest flip-outs. Love the band, but Jaz is a few cans short of a sixpack to an annoying degree.

SR

#45 Post by SR » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:53 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
SR wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:
Seek out the Killing Joke thread for the near-daily rundown on Coleman's latest flip-outs. Love the band, but Jaz is a few cans short of a sixpack to an annoying degree.
Ok, I will.

SR

#46 Post by SR » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:58 pm

Just had a jaz sized scoop of crazy. :lol:

mockbee

#47 Post by mockbee » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:16 pm

I wouldn't rely on Jaz for anything, but the guy is a genius and I was thinking the other day that his Absolute Dissent album he released a couple years ago, his fourteenth album (!) is Killing Jokes best in my mind and one of my favorite of all times. He has a lot to say, and a lot of it I am glad somebody has the guts and composure to say with such force and vigor..... :nod:

Pandemonium

#48 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:30 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:C'mon dude...we've heard your stories...you're clearly biased here... :hehe:

I have had my experiences with ahem "crazy"...ya just need to hit...and RUN...or jump out of windows...or moving vehicles... :lolol:
That's mostly been my MO, I've been fortunate not to have become seriously wrapped up in the craziness of several certifiable exes....

However, a good friend really wasted a huge number of years on his girlfriend who was just batshit crazy. They lived off and on with each other for about 10 years and she'd do shit like just disappear for months going "underground" (aka getting wrapped up in drug culture) as he'd put it and then outta the blue, she'd show up, sometimes literally at his doorstep, usually penniless with no other options and he'd always take her back in. He'd just get pissed when I or anyone else would question him on why he'd stick with her when she really dragged him down. After a point, it wasn't worth the debate.

I remember one time, they'd been out of touch with each other for about a year and he had come back after trying to make a go of it in Colorado. He moved in with me in a large condo I was renting with my then-girlfriend. Sure enough, Chrystal (yep, that's her name) calls, he brings her home like a lost puppy and within a couple weeks, my girlfriend had enough and split and those two started smoking and shooting meth (and getting hepatitis). I worked nights and every night I'd come home at 2am, it was something new - the house reeking of ammonia, tinfoil on all the windows to block out light, weird fuckers crashed out in the living room....

Finally, they wound up doing a spur of the moment Las Vegas weekend wedding and moved into their own place. I moved to a single apartment in Huntington Beach and within a couple months, they split up, she wound up in a mental hospital after laying on railroad tracks behind their apt (that no train crossed in years, lol!) saying to anyone who'd listen she was killing herself and then showed up on *my* doorstep when she got out when he wouldn't take her back. After a week, she had some new boyfriend/drug buddy steal my boat outta my driveway while I was at work and I never saw her for years after that. My buddy wound up paying me for my stolen boat because he didn't want me reporting her or going after her.

I saw her years later at a bar - she was obviously hooking, was missing teeth, tatted up to the point of ugliness and looked like she had only weeks left on her odometer.

Pandemonium

#49 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:33 pm

mockbee wrote:I wouldn't rely on Jaz for anything, but the guy is a genius and I was thinking the other day that his Absolute Dissent album he released a couple years ago, his fourteenth album (!) is Killing Jokes best in my mind and one of my favorite of all times. He has a lot to say, and a lot of it I am glad somebody has the guts and composure to say with such force and vigor..... :nod:

Yeah, you get no argument from me much of their their best music of their career is coming from the last couple albums.

JOEinPHX

#50 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:29 pm

The sex, yes.

The multiple daily arguments and the regular punches to the face, not so much.