Chicago 9/24

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
chaos

Chicago 9/24

#1 Post by chaos » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:11 pm

A few positive message board comments about the show: http://www.philzone.org/discus/messages ... 1316929445

chaos

Re: Chicago 9/24

#2 Post by chaos » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:14 pm

kv

#3 Post by kv » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:22 pm

They had two asian stripers on stage and a kind light show...

JOEinPHX

#4 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:26 pm

kv wrote:
They had two asian stripers on stage and a kind light show...

:aoa: :aoa:

chaos

#5 Post by chaos » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:28 am

Deconstruction

#6 Post by Deconstruction » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:59 am

chaos wrote:
Yay, Perry again ACTUALLY SINGING the chorus, and sounding good doing it! Way better than that lip syncing bullshit.

JOEinPHX

#7 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:46 am

See, he can fucking do it. So WTF.

I don't understand why these guys are so hit and miss with how few shows they actually do. Or is that the reason? Does Perry need to do more to keep his voice strong or something?

They are always capable of greatness, and yet 8 times out of 10 settle for "we did the show"

Why don't they just leave every drop of sweat on the stage and every note played? It's not like they don't have days/weeks/months in between to recover.

tool3521

#8 Post by tool3521 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:54 am

This show was badass! hokahey... you MISSED out bro! This show made the live Voodoo dvd seem really cheesy IMO! The band was on, and Perry acted, danced, and sang, like a younger early 90's era Perry! He was on tonight folks! I don't know what got into him, but I liked it! However, Dave seemed a little irritated at first. Chris had walked over to tell him something after a couple of songs into the set, and it looked like Dave asked Chris "Why?" and shrugged. He then turned around, lit a smoke, and slid it behind the strings on his headstock. After another song, it seemed all was well. Dave was definitely ripping it up all night. Perkins was, well... Perkins. Does he ever disappoint? lol! ...and since Chaney was back in the mix, I will say his bass playing was pretty spot on. It made me NOT miss Avery at all, and I loved Eric! The crowd seemed to be really into it, and reflecting back on my night, this was HONESTLY the best Jane's show I have seen since I saw them on the '97 relapse tour in San Diego. No BULLSHIT! and... fuck the corksniffers!

Anyway, they opened with Whores. Then I think Ain't No Right, Just Because, End To The Lies, and Been Caught Stealing. Not sure on that order, or the following, but I think I'm close. Summertime Rolls, Three Days, Ted Just Admit it, Irrisistible Force, Up The Beach, Ocean Size, Stop (in which they had confetti shooting out of cannons on either side of the theatre), Mountain Song, and Jane Says. I don't think I am missing anything, but am pretty sure the order is all messed up. Pretty close though, I think. They played about 1 hour and 20 minutes.

This was my wife's first Jane's show, and I couldn't be more happy with their performance, and what she got to witness... and that is saying something, since I always used to say, "well, you should have seen them in their youth when they really put on a show". Not any more! This was how a current Jane's show should be.

JOEinPHX

#9 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:06 am

That actually sounds like it went off pretty well.

Awesome. Glad to see them "on"

tool3521

#10 Post by tool3521 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:09 am

Six7Six7 wrote:See, he can fucking do it. So WTF.

I don't understand why these guys are so hit and miss with how few shows they actually do. Or is that the reason? Does Perry need to do more to keep his voice strong or something?

They are always capable of greatness, and yet 8 times out of 10 settle for "we did the show"

Why don't they just leave every drop of sweat on the stage and every note played? It's not like they don't have days/weeks/months in between to recover.
Yeah, this show was one of the "being capable of greatness" shows! Incredible! I wish/hope this thing got filmed, but probably not. Puts live Voodoo to shame.

tool3521

#11 Post by tool3521 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:17 am

Six7Six7 wrote:That actually sounds like it went off pretty well.

Awesome. Glad to see them "on"
It was a pleasant surprise for sure. Just watch the clip of Perry in "Ain't No Right" posted on the previous page. He was like that ALL night! Reminds me of a younger Perry. lol! Just glad I was able to witness this show.

Jasper

#12 Post by Jasper » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:18 am

tool3521 wrote:This show made the live Voodoo dvd seem really cheesy.
The live voodoo dvd is perfectly capable of making itself look cheesy without any outside help. :lol:

tool3521

#13 Post by tool3521 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:42 am

Jasper wrote:
tool3521 wrote:This show made the live Voodoo dvd seem really cheesy.
The live voodoo dvd is perfectly capable of making itself look cheesy without any outside help. :lol:
True! lol! I guess I was hoping it was going to be so much better than it was.

NYRexall

#14 Post by NYRexall » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:00 am

"I love YOU. I fucking love YOU, man. You can come to my house anytime. You can make me tacos. Casos! They're easy to make..."

By god, it does sound like the Perry of old :banana:

Artemis

#15 Post by Artemis » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:32 am

tool3521 wrote:This show was badass! hokahey... you MISSED out bro! This show made the live Voodoo dvd seem really cheesy IMO! The band was on, and Perry acted, danced, and sang, like a younger early 90's era Perry! He was on tonight folks! I don't know what got into him, but I liked it! However, Dave seemed a little irritated at first. Chris had walked over to tell him something after a couple of songs into the set, and it looked like Dave asked Chris "Why?" and shrugged. He then turned around, lit a smoke, and slid it behind the strings on his headstock. After another song, it seemed all was well. Dave was definitely ripping it up all night. Perkins was, well... Perkins. Does he ever disappoint? lol! ...and since Chaney was back in the mix, I will say his bass playing was pretty spot on. It made me NOT miss Avery at all, and I loved Eric! The crowd seemed to be really into it, and reflecting back on my night, this was HONESTLY the best Jane's show I have seen since I saw them on the '97 relapse tour in San Diego. No BULLSHIT! and... fuck the corksniffers!

Anyway, they opened with Whores. Then I think Ain't No Right, Just Because, End To The Lies, and Been Caught Stealing. Not sure on that order, or the following, but I think I'm close. Summertime Rolls, Three Days, Ted Just Admit it, Irrisistible Force, Up The Beach, Ocean Size, Stop (in which they had confetti shooting out of cannons on either side of the theatre), Mountain Song, and Jane Says. I don't think I am missing anything, but am pretty sure the order is all messed up. Pretty close though, I think. They played about 1 hour and 20 minutes.

This was my wife's first Jane's show, and I couldn't be more happy with their performance, and what she got to witness... and that is saying something, since I always used to say, "well, you should have seen them in their youth when they really put on a show". Not any more! This was how a current Jane's show should be.
:cool: Sounds like a great show!

I hope they make it up to my part of the world soon. :waits:

Matz

#16 Post by Matz » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:31 am

sounds really cool, but would it kill them to play another new song?

Leto

#17 Post by Leto » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:52 am

Cheers to Perry for pulling his head out of his ass. Sounds like a great show. Irresistible Force sounded better if not at least edgier. The tacos at my house rant was top form.

tool3521

#18 Post by tool3521 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:56 am

NYRexall wrote:"I love YOU. I fucking love YOU, man. You can come to my house anytime. You can make me tacos. Casos! They're easy to make..."

By god, it does sound like the Perry of old :banana:
That's what I'm sayin'. It was "classic" Perry. :thumb:

...HELL it was "CLASSIC" Jane's! :cool:

chaos

#19 Post by chaos » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:47 am

chaos

#20 Post by chaos » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:56 am

chaos

#21 Post by chaos » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:15 pm

chaos

#22 Post by chaos » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:28 pm

http://blogs.suntimes.com/music/2011/09 ... es_ad.html
Crowd still hooked on Jane's Addiction at Metro

Now here's something I haven't seen in quite a while. Jane's Addiction wrapped its brief reunion set Saturday night at Chicago's Metro, played a single encore, then stumbled back offstage. But the crowd wasn't in the same hurry to move along -- they stood their ground, still cheering as the houselights came up, genuinely begging for more.

For an instant, it looked like they might get the second encore they wanted, but no such luck. Roadies started pulling plugs. The crowd was so fired up a lot of folks just stood there singing along with the Pink Floyd on the PA.

Did I mention this was Jane's Freaking Addiction? In 2011?

"Wow, 20 years and we still suck, right?" front man Perry Farrell chortled to the crowd midway through the show. "We still don't know what the f--- we're doing. ... But we're gonna be something someday."

JANE'S ADDICTION
• 9 p.m. Sunday
• Metro, 3730 N. Clark
• Sold out

Much has been written this week about the end of R.E.M., the band that built the bridge from post-punk to alternative rock. Waiting for them at the end of the 1980s was Jane's Addiction, a trashy Los Angeles clubland band that wrote much of the declaration for the "alternative nation" -- but then didn't stick around to enjoy the fruits of their labors. After three years and three albums, Farrell built the first Lollapalooza in 1991 as a celebratory farewell tour for Jane's Addiction, and today it lives on every summer in Chicago's Grant Park.

But in 1988, Jane's Addiction launched its second album, "Nothing's Shocking," with two shows at the Metro. This is Jane's third go-round now, and next month they release their first new album in eight years, "The Great Escape Artist." Impressively, the band performed a few of the new songs Saturday night without once ever mentioning that fact or hawking the record between songs. New songs "End to the Lies" and "Irresistible Force" fit right into the otherwise nostalgic set ("Mountain Song," "Jane Says").

Farrell -- who also made time this week to drop in on some "Yo Gabba Gabba!" shows in town -- jittered and gyrated with the energy of 20 years ago, dancing like a boxer in skinny jeans and a tank top. He swigged from a wine bottle and spanked the two female dancers that pointlessly strutted around the stage. He grinned mischievously through "Been Caught Stealing" as if he still snatched stuff; at the end of that song, with Farrell's final "It's mine," a fan up front handed him a camera.

He twiddled knobs to drench his wails in reverb while the band stomped out creaky grooves. That's pretty much the Jane's formula, and the band worked that last nerve for 13 songs. Guitarist Dave Navarro -- the epitome of the journeyman guitar wanker -- stripped off his shirt early to show off his tattoos and gym membership, dragged on a cigarette he kept pinched between the upper strings of guitar, and stood largely still with his leg thrown onto a monitor while playing utterly professional, scale-shattering solos. He came alive during the lengthy "Three Days" and "Ocean Size," the same time one of the night's three (count 'em, three) crowd surfers took flight.

Jane's Addiction's fractured history leaves it with only a few real highlights, and a short, sharp show packs more of a wallop than if they went on for three hours. Saturday's show was barely 75 minutes, but it didn't feel rushed or cut short. Then again, I wasn't one of the ones standing there singing "Wish You Were Here" as security was moving people toward the door.

Jane's Addiction set list Saturday night

"Whores"
"Just Because"
"Ain't No Right"
"Ted, Just Admit It ..."
"Been Caught Stealing"
"End to the Lies"
"Ocean Size"
"Three Days"
"Irresistible Force"
"Up the Beach"
"Mountain Song"
"Stop!"
Encore:
"Jane Says"

JOEinPHX

#23 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:38 pm

that's a great setlist. wish i was at that show.

CaseyContrarian

#24 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:26 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:that's a great setlist. wish i was at that show.
When was the last time they played "Then She Did..."? Have they played it post NIN/JA with either Duff or Chris? Seems like it would be appropriate for the TGEA Jane's. Just don't tell Etty it's about Xiola. (Or Perry's mom.)

erotic cheeses

#25 Post by erotic cheeses » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:28 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:that's a great setlist. wish i was at that show.

sarcasm?

glad you enjoyed the show tool