New review

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
trevor ayer

Re: New review

#51 Post by trevor ayer » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:05 am

tgea is nu janes ggu .. its got the same cheap as vids as tahitian moon and the songs are way mellower than strays .. but can we not ruin this board by pretending that strays is listenable .. if its gonna be that kinda party im gonna have to put a wash cloth "right o ver my face" .. :jasper:

Kajicat

#52 Post by Kajicat » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:19 am

trevor ayer wrote:tgea is nu janes ggu .. its got the same cheap ass vids as tahitian moon and the songs are way mellower than strays ..
Hey, I liked the videos for Tahitian Moon and 100 Ways! Maybe they didn'y cost much to produce, but they worked out just fine. Sometimes $$$ isn't needed to produce quality!
trevor ayer wrote:but can we not ruin this board by pretending that strays is listenable ..
Strays is listenable, as a solid rock offering. I, for one, have always enjoyed it. Some of those guys from Jane's got together and put out a nice little rock 'n roll album, sweet! :wiggle:

Tyler Durden

#53 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:22 am

trevor ayer wrote:but can we not ruin this board by pretending that strays is listenable ..
Strays is listenable, as a solid rock offering. I, for one, have always enjoyed it. Some of those guys from Jane's got together and put out a nice little rock 'n roll album, sweet! :wiggle:[/quote]

Yeah...I find that some of the hatred of Strays has gone way overboard. To me, it's a bad Jane's Addiction album...but unlistenable?

bman

#54 Post by bman » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:25 am

I haven't listened to Strays since 2004. For me it's unlistenable. I do like Just Because in the live set though.

Tyler Durden

#55 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:55 am

bman wrote:I haven't listened to Strays since 2004. For me it's unlistenable. I do like Just Because in the live set though.
I'm not a fan of the album and I don't choose to listen to it...but I think the term "unlistenable" is a little harsh and should only be reserved for the most extreme of cases.

For me, this is unlistenable...

Pandemonium

#56 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:14 am

Tyler Durden wrote:For me, this is unlistenable...

Fuck, that was pretty harsh but also somewhat intriging. I wound up doing a search of other vids from this band/singer and cam,e across a clip of Led Zeppelin's John Paul Johns playing with them on the John Stewart show:

It's almost like bad Christian Death.

Tyler Durden

#57 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:18 am

Pandemonium wrote:
Fuck, that was pretty harsh but also somewhat intriging. I wound up doing a search of other vids from this band/singer and cam,e across a clip of Led Zeppelin's John Paul Johns playing with them on the John Stewart show:

Yeah, Jonesy and her did an album together in the mid 90s.

I love Christian Death's "Theater of Pain". :thumb:

CaseyContrarian

#58 Post by CaseyContrarian » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:37 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:

Yeah, Jonesy and her did an album together in the mid 90s.

I love Christian Death's "Theater of Pain". :thumb:
You people are nuts. Diamanda Galas is fucking awesome.

Tyler Durden

#59 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:58 am

CaseyContrarian wrote:
You people are nuts. Diamanda Galas is fucking awesome.
While I agree with her politics and respect her for having the balls to be very avant-garde, I find her vocals annoying.

JOEinPHX

#60 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:59 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
bman wrote:I haven't listened to Strays since 2004. For me it's unlistenable. I do like Just Because in the live set though.
I'm not a fan of the album and I don't choose to listen to it...but I think the term "unlistenable" is a little harsh and should only be reserved for the most extreme of cases.

Holy jesus, that is awful.

Who gave her a record deal?

thisnameisinuse

#61 Post by thisnameisinuse » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:06 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
Strays is listenable, as a solid rock offering. I, for one, have always enjoyed it. Some of those guys from Jane's got together and put out a nice little rock 'n roll album, sweet! :wiggle:
Yeah...I find that some of the hatred of Strays has gone way overboard. To me, it's a bad Jane's Addiction album...but unlistenable?[/quote]

I think it's very good. 'True Nature' is a clarion call and the coda of 'To Match the Sun' is beautiful. Lots of other great moments, too, especially 'The Price I Pay'.

It's not quite the original albums (or God's Good Urge or Why Something Instead of Nothing?) but it is very good. Tattoo You, rather than Beggars Banquet and Let it Bleed, but that's no bad thing to be.
Last edited by thisnameisinuse on Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nausearockpig

#62 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:09 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:

Holy jesus, that is awful.

Who gave her a record deal?
ha ha ha that really is bad. vocally and musically.... kinda re-affirms what I've been thinking for a while: there's a market for everything. There are people out there to listen to any old shit...

fuck me.....
Kudos to her for getting out there and performing & presumably getting paid for it though....

trevor ayer

#63 Post by trevor ayer » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:47 am

there is some barely OK stuff on strays but every time he yells "when the song is over kiss me on my lips" or that line about put the cloth "right o ver my face" i really just turn it off its so bad .. i mean who puts that much passion into such stupid lyrics .. i can not get thru that record at all .. never could .. i keep trying but its impossible .. the record pretty much disgusts me because, even thru pyros banyan spread polar bear decon, it may not have been as epic and great as janes but at least there was still some cool shit going on .. strays is pure shit .. strait to the garbage disposal rock .. so can we just admit it and not ruin the board with this upbeat nonsense when its just no applicable :bigrin:

AdmitI

#64 Post by AdmitI » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:25 pm

:deadhorse:

Kajicat

#65 Post by Kajicat » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:29 pm

trevor ayer wrote:there is some barely OK stuff on strays but every time he yells "when the song is over kiss me on my lips" or that line about put the cloth "right o ver my face" i really just turn it off its so bad ..
Those two lines never bugged me for some reason. Especially the "cloth right o-ver my FACE" one, which I quite enjoy!