Bands that have played with Jane's

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
JOEinPHX

Re: Bands that have played with Jane's

#26 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:27 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:Only Kurt was calling them corporate, but he didn't know shit about them or the fact that Gossard and Ament were in Green River.

He wised up after awhile. So did everyone else.
I've always felt that Kurt was majorly threatened by them because they seemed like they really had their shit together.
Or maybe just because PJ put on a far more intense show and wiped them floor with them when it came to album sales.

Tyler Durden

#27 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:31 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:Only Kurt was calling them corporate, but he didn't know shit about them or the fact that Gossard and Ament were in Green River.

He wised up after awhile. So did everyone else.
I've always felt that Kurt was majorly threatened by them because they seemed like they really had their shit together.
Or maybe just because PJ put on a far more intense show and wiped them floor with them when it came to album sales.
That's basically what I was getting at. :lol:

JOEinPHX

#28 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:34 pm

Captain Obvious wasn't to the rescue on that one i guess. :lol:

thisnameisinuse

#29 Post by thisnameisinuse » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:52 am

I don't think the commercial success of Oasis owed much to Nirvana. Maybe in the US, but they were from a pretty direct line of popular UK guitar bands - The Clash, The Smiths, The Stone Roses, Suede etc.

I do like Nirvana, though. Not so much Pearl Jam.

Speaking of bands that played with Jane's, the Nymphs should have been huge.

Bandit72

#30 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:07 am

The commercial success of Oasis is down to a self modelling on the Beatles and that's about it. That and the fact that the majority of late 80's very early 90's UK Indie bands had died a very quick death and the only two bands making any headlines were Blur and Oasis. 1994 to 1996 were pretty abysmal for new and relevant "guitar band" music in the UK. I can't see the Oasis/Nirvana tie at all.

Japhy

#31 Post by Japhy » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:09 am

Loved Oasis in '94... saw them loads that year. Saw them once in '95 (think it was Sheffield Arena - their first "big" show)... then the chavs moved in and claimed them. I lost interest after that but did see them again in '04 or '05 at an outside show. As for Miles Hunt, yeah, knew he was a MASSIVE Jane's fan... seen a bunch of interviews over the years when he talked about them. Think he went to see them at Coachella '01 (certainly around that time) because he was so stoked that they were back playing.

Still would have liked to have seen The Music support Janes in the UK through '03... they kinda did at an MTV2 show, but that was it.

NYRexall

#32 Post by NYRexall » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:39 am

Who the fuck were The Wonderstuff?

It sounds like the name of a children's baking show.

Tyler Durden

#33 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:45 am

NYRexall wrote:Who the fuck were The Wonderstuff?

They were one of those crappy, insecure British bands that would publicly slag other artists in order to get attention. They recorded a song about Rick Astley called "Astley In A Noose". :eyes:

Bandit72

#34 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:56 am

Tyler Durden wrote:

They were one of those crappy, insecure British bands that would publicly slag other artists in order to get attention. They recorded a song about Rick Astley called "Astley In A Noose". :eyes:
That's a bit harsh. I'd hardly call Rick Astley "an artist" and I don't think that song was ever on an album.

NYRexall

#35 Post by NYRexall » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:00 am

Haha, yes I've heard them. They were around well before the grunge era kicked in. I just never heard anything special in their music.

Tyler Durden

#36 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:04 am

Bandit72 wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:

That's a bit harsh. I'd hardly call Rick Astley "an artist" and I don't think that song was ever on an album.
Of course Rick Astley isn't "an artist"...but I still don't think that makes what they did cool. Could you imagine if Jane's Addiction recorded a song devoted to hating on Justin Bieber? They'd look like lame, insecure losers. The song was a B-side, but was their most well known song in some parts.

Bandit72

#37 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:09 am

if Jane's Addiction recorded a song devoted to hating on Justin Bieber?
Not Jane's, but "I like 'em big" is close enough.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#38 Post by Hokahey » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:19 am

Kurt didn't like them musically because their very first album was ready made arena rock. Hard to blame him. I also remember reading an interview where he said he was at the same airport as them for a show once or something and when they got off the plane they had a huge entourage and people barricading them in and acting like they were major rockstars.

He had valid points for disliking them...at first. Eddie took a lot of that criticism to heart and readjusted the bands focus. They fired Dave Abbruzeze who was the one fighting against being less "corporate", they stopped making videos, etc etc.

Unfortunately, they became so afraid of making "big" records that they slowly started stripping down their sound. Vitalogy was their last great record. After Dave Abbruzeze they lost a lot of their punch. No Code has some decent songs, But from Yield on it's been a band afraid of itself, trying to make scrappy garage rock. It's fine I suppose, but it doesn't move me the way Vitalogy did.

Tyler Durden

#39 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:57 am

hokahey wrote:Kurt didn't like them musically because their very first album was ready made arena rock.
Kurt essentially said the same thing of the production on "Nevermind"; he thought it sounded overly polished, like Motley Crue.
hokahey wrote:I also remember reading an interview where he said he was at the same airport as them for a show once or something and when they got off the plane they had a huge entourage and people barricading them in and acting like they were major rockstars.
That was Extreme, not Pearl Jam.
hokahey wrote:Unfortunately, they became so afraid of making "big" records that they slowly started stripping down their sound. Vitalogy was their last great record. After Dave Abbruzeze they lost a lot of their punch. No Code has some decent songs, But from Yield on it's been a band afraid of itself, trying to make scrappy garage rock. It's fine I suppose, but it doesn't move me the way Vitalogy did.
Dave Abbruzeze was a great drummer...for a certain type of sound. I think the sound they captured on "Vs." would have become pretty stale if they had tried to recapture it. Jack Irons was also great and gave them room to evolve. I'm indifferent about Matt Cameron. I still say the last two albums are amazing...and they sound like "big" records to me. :noclue:

Tyler Durden

#40 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:58 am

Bandit72 wrote:
if Jane's Addiction recorded a song devoted to hating on Justin Bieber?
Not Jane's, but "I like 'em big" is close enough.
Exactly.

JOEinPHX

#41 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:05 am

Rick Astley is awesome.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#42 Post by Hokahey » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:50 am

Tyler Durden wrote: Kurt essentially said the same thing of the production on "Nevermind"; he thought it sounded overly polished, like Motley Crue.
Neat.
That was Extreme, not Pearl Jam.
Nope. It was Pearl Jam. I was as big a Pearl Jam as you would have ever met from '92-'98. I distinctly remember reading that.
hokahey wrote: Dave Abbruzeze was a great drummer...for a certain type of sound. I think the sound they captured on "Vs." would have become pretty stale if they had tried to recapture it. Jack Irons was also great and gave them room to evolve. I'm indifferent about Matt Cameron. I still say the last two albums are amazing...and they sound like "big" records to me. :noclue:
They've been fairly generic garage rock since Matt Cameron came in. And apparently you're missing the fact that Dave played on Vitalogy which was a very different sound than Ten/Vs.

No Code was their first attempt at doing the garage rock thing and in general it worked. Yield was boring. A band with no direction. Everything after has been them attempting to be a scrappy garage band and it's incredibly bland.

Tyler Durden

#43 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:13 am

hokahey wrote:Nope. It was Pearl Jam. I was as big a Pearl Jam as you would have ever met from '92-'98. I distinctly remember reading that.
Regardless, Pearl Jam were rockstars selling millions of albums...and had obsessive psycho fans. I can't say I blame them having an entourage, etc. I highly doubt Kurt Cobain showed up at airports alone.
hokahey wrote:They've been fairly generic garage rock since Matt Cameron came in. And apparently you're missing the fact that Dave played on Vitalogy which was a very different sound than Ten/Vs.
I'm well aware that Dave played on Vitalogy; I just don't think his playing on that album was anything remarkable. The drum sound (for whatever reason) was much more prominent on Vs.
hokahey wrote: Code was their first attempt at doing the garage rock thing and in general it worked. Yield was boring. A band with no direction. Everything after has been them attempting to be a scrappy garage band and it's incredibly bland.
I don't find Yield boring at all; I think it's one of their best albums.

And this stuff doesn't sound like an overly scrappy garage band to me; at least not any more so than what appeared on the early records. :noclue: Actually, there are songs on your beloved Vitalogy that sound way more "garagey" than this.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#44 Post by Hokahey » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:21 am

Tyler Durden wrote:Regardless, Pearl Jam were rockstars selling millions of albums...and had obsessive psycho fans. I can't say I blame them having an entourage, etc. I highly doubt Kurt Cobain showed up at airports alone.
Funny thing is I remember more from that quote now. How no one was really there and they were pushing random people out of the way =. I'm sure to Kurt, standing with a bodyguard I'm sure, being just as big of a star if not more, the whole thing looked ridiculous. You're just being a fanboy if you can't understand that.
I'm well aware that Dave played on Vitalogy; I just don't think his playing on that album was anything remarkable. The drum sound (for whatever reason) was much more prominent on Vs.
His playing was most prominent on Ten. But his playing was outstanding on Vitalogy. I suggest you go back and listen. He shows his range on that like no other album. His drum sound is instantly recognizable as well.
hokahey wrote: I don't find Yield boring at all; I think it's one of their best albums.
The album was wholly unremarkable. And this is coming from someone that had his girlfriend steal a copy from the Blockbuster she worked at two days before the street date I was so excited she told me they had it in.
And this stuff doesn't sound like an overly scrappy garage band to me; at least not any more so than what appeared on the early records. :noclue: Actually, there are songs on your beloved Vitalogy that sound way more "garagey" than this.
I'm at work and can't listen. Regardless, that's two songs. And I've yet to hear a song that doesn't sound like either "Pearl Jam's generic new slow song" or "Pearl Jam's scrappy garage song" in a long time.

Vitalogy walked the line between punk and garage beautifully. They lost their edge after that.

Tyler Durden

#45 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:37 am

hokahey wrote:Funny thing is I remember more from that quote now. How no one was really there and they were pushing random people out of the way =. I'm sure to Kurt, standing with a bodyguard I'm sure, being just as big of a star if not more, the whole thing looked ridiculous. You're just being a fanboy if you can't understand that.
I'd have to read the quote(s) myself before really getting into this; it's the first I've ever heard about it (and I've always been a huge fan of both bands for ages).
hokahey wrote:His playing was most prominent on Ten. But his playing was outstanding on Vitalogy. I suggest you go back and listen. He shows his range on that like no other album. His drum sound is instantly recognizable as well.
He didn't play on Ten, jackass. :lol:
hokahey wrote:The album was wholly unremarkable. And this is coming from someone that had his girlfriend steal a copy from the Blockbuster she worked at two days before the street date I was so excited she told me they had it in.
I'm not sure how this is relevent but okay. :confused:

hokahey wrote:I'm at work and can't listen. Regardless, that's two songs. And I've yet to hear a song that doesn't sound like either "Pearl Jam's generic new slow song" or "Pearl Jam's scrappy garage song" in a long time.
I'll admit that Pearl Jam album over the past 15 year has had a requisite generic scrappy garage song on it...but they also have many different styled/sounding songs on their albums. What about songs like "Parachutes", "Inside Job", "Army Reserve", "Speed Of Sound", "Unthought Known", etc. Maybe you've just outgrown them? :noclue:

JOEinPHX

#46 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:57 am

Yield is one of their best albums. Just behind No Code.

Those 2 albums are where Pearl Jam sounded the most like themselves.

Tyler Durden

#47 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:00 am

Six7Six7 wrote:Yield is one of their best albums. Just behind No Code.

Amen brother. Pearl Jam at their most "spiritual" and grounded.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#48 Post by Hokahey » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:29 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:

At their most boring and uninspired.

I haven't outgrown them. They've gotten stale.

Kajicat

#49 Post by Kajicat » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:33 pm

Only PJ albums I still own are VS, Vitalogy, and Avocado.
Sold all the others.

Tyler Durden

#50 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:38 pm

hokahey wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:

At their most boring and uninspired.

I haven't outgrown them. They've gotten stale.
If you were referring to Binaural and Riot Act, I'd have to agree.