Dave speaks on how he didn't jive with the Peppers

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Romeo

Re: Dave speaks on how he didn't jive with the Peppers

#26 Post by Romeo » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:42 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:I wish Dave was more of a packrat.

He could donate his RHCP light bulb costume, or his Parker Fly used to record My Friends.

He could get himself into the RHCP Hall of Fame display just on his donations alone. Fuck those guys :lol:
The lightbulb costumes were given to the hard rock. They used to be displayed in the hard rock in Vegas

trevor ayer

#27 Post by trevor ayer » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:20 pm

At the end of the OHM era Dave said something about being lied to by the band. I kinda think it has to do with Junk. That is pretty sucky if one of those new worthless guitarists got in HOF with the Peppers but Dave didn't. BSSM was their only decent record without Dave. Californication had a couple moments. I really liked One Hot Minute. Pretty much the best non Janes Addiction Janes Addiction record in my book. It's got that LA feel. Lot's of great songs about death. Maybe some of the stupid lyrics could have been edited (one big mob) but lots of pretty good stuff too. I wonder what GNR would have sounded like with Dave. Not in an I really want to hear it way .. but if it had happened in their prime. I guess the whole dudes making out thing was Daves idea since the peppers started doing that too when he joined. Peppers were never that good to begin with. Dave made a significant contribution in their over all career as playing on one of their 2 best records. I loved that flea was singing a couple tunes. Pea was great and so was the Sweatloaf reference. Songs about Kurt, River, Iggy Pop .. all good sheet

Pure Method

#28 Post by Pure Method » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:29 pm

Trevor! your most legible post ever, perhaps. :wink:

I'm into OHM. It's a shame Dave doesn't have any new music to discuss. My apologies for the bitterness. :wavesad:

Pandemonium

#29 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:36 pm

trevor ayer wrote:At the end of the OHM era Dave said something about being lied to by the band. I kinda think it has to do with Junk.
Have you ever seen that "Star Licks" instructional guitar video Dave did at the tail end of his tenure in the Chili Peppers? Dave seemed like a really hard to deal with, cranky fucker deep in heroin at that time.
trevor ayer wrote:I wonder what GNR would have sounded like with Dave. Not in an I really want to hear it way .. but if it had happened in their prime.
GnR with Dave would have sounded pretty much like they did with Gilby in '92 - '93. They needed someone to play barre chord riffs behind Slash's soloing.

Warped

#30 Post by Warped » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:36 pm

trevor ayer wrote:At the end of the OHM era Dave said something about being lied to by the band. I kinda think it has to do with Junk. That is pretty sucky if one of those new worthless guitarists got in HOF with the Peppers but Dave didn't. BSSM was their only decent record without Dave. Californication had a couple moments. I really liked One Hot Minute. Pretty much the best non Janes Addiction Janes Addiction record in my book. It's got that LA feel. Lot's of great songs about death. Maybe some of the stupid lyrics could have been edited (one big mob) but lots of pretty good stuff too. I wonder what GNR would have sounded like with Dave. Not in an I really want to hear it way .. but if it had happened in their prime. I guess the whole dudes making out thing was Daves idea since the peppers started doing that too when he joined. Peppers were never that good to begin with. Dave made a significant contribution in their over all career as playing on one of their 2 best records. I loved that flea was singing a couple tunes. Pea was great and so was the Sweatloaf reference. Songs about Kurt, River, Iggy Pop .. all good sheet
I so agree. :thumb:
That Klinghofer dude is a joke. He got tons of negative press here in Germany when they played here. Well at least he is no challenge for AK ...

Mescal

#31 Post by Mescal » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:19 am

trevor ayer wrote: BSSM was their only decent record without Dave.
Are we forgetting Mother's Milk here?

Romeo

#32 Post by Romeo » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:01 am

How can you forget mother's milk, most of their recent stuff was lifted from that album :lol:

Matz

#33 Post by Matz » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:28 am

Mescal wrote:
don't forget Hillel's stuff, please. He was a great guitar player and songwriter

Mescal

#34 Post by Mescal » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:07 am

Not forgetting Hillel's stuff.

But it's been ages since I listened to Uplift or their first (never really liked freaky styley), but MM, BSSM and OHM get regular spins.

Larry B.

#35 Post by Larry B. » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:55 am

Matz wrote:
Mescal wrote:
don't forget Hillel's stuff, please. He was a great guitar player and songwriter
:thumb:

It's weird saying it this way, but while my favorite RHCP album is One Hot Minute, my favorite RHCP album by far is The Uplift Mofo Party Plan.

SR

#36 Post by SR » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:57 am

Will someone please remind me why the Chilis suck? :lol:

clickie

#37 Post by clickie » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:03 pm

I dont think they suck but I only like them in short doses which makes it hard for me to enjoy them live in concert.

SR

#38 Post by SR » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:32 pm

clickie wrote:I dont think they suck but I only like them in short doses which makes it hard for me to enjoy them live in concert.
:confused: That's it.....time for the C thread.

Essence_Smith

#39 Post by Essence_Smith » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:16 pm

Dave with the Peppers was a good idea in theory...I remember being thrilled about it...OHM is among my least fave Chilis albums...he didn't fit with them personally I think and that's why it didn't work out. Dave is a guy who appears to enjoy the social aspects of the notoriety he has, and it doesn't exactly match the Peppers who have always stated they dislike the rock star cliche thing (cept for the drug thing of course). They DID diss him at the HOF...dude was in the band for several years and they enjoyed some of their biggest commercial success with him in the band...he should have been invited...keep mind I dislike that album overall...as for Jesse Tobias, apparently he ended up playing with Alanis ala Eric Avery and also recorded a few things with Morrissey...but yeah I dislike OHM for the fact that as someone said before it was a case of the two sides meeting each other in the middle which is fine, but from what we know the Peppers jam things out while DN works in a different way...

Hokahey
Site Admin

#40 Post by Hokahey » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:17 pm

It's my favorite Chilis record. Hands down.

JOEinPHX

#41 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:12 pm

hokahey wrote:It's my favorite Chilis record. Hands down.
Ditto.

BSSM has it's moments, and Californication is great (although WAAAAAAAAY too safe)

OHM is the band firing on all cylinders. Guitar? Great. Bass? Great. Drums? Great. And it's the only album where I felt Anthony actually put in any effort into his lyrical content.

JOEinPHX

#42 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:25 pm

I am listening to OHM right now.

It still holds up. If a band put this out today, I would be very happy.

trevor ayer

#43 Post by trevor ayer » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:06 pm

mothers milk was fun in college but its such bad white boy funk .. hard to endure really .. same with the early years .. fun for nostalgia but that is about it .. they were actually funky on bssm .. plus rick rubin killed it on production .. frusciante was on mm but mostly it was as a fill in for hillel .. he really did his thang on bssm .. pretty little ditty was cool i guess

JOEinPHX

#44 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:16 pm

Pretty Little Ditty was ok. Butterfly was better.

Mescal

#45 Post by Mescal » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:06 am

panicparty

#46 Post by panicparty » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:13 am

While you'll never get a consensus on which album's best / worst / somewhere in the middle, I think it's hard to argue that OHM isn't the chilli's most INTERESTING album to date.

Dave brought something new and different to RHCP, the only guitarist to do so since the start - Fru was a massive Hillel fanboy (and no criticism from me for that) and basically copied / immitated him, certainly in his first period with the band, and from what I gather the new guy's brief is to copy Fru, so Dave, albeit he compromised his sound to fit, is the only guy since Hillel who has gone into that band bringing something new to the party.

Matz

#47 Post by Matz » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:52 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
BSSM has it's moments, and Californication is great
ehm no, that would be the other way around big time

Romeo

#48 Post by Romeo » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:50 am

I watched Dave's interview with swazy and I think the animosity (from the way he answered the question)might stem from the HOF thing

bman

#49 Post by bman » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:40 am

BSSM is the only thing decent by the Peppers. That and Warped off of OHM. Other than that and a few of the early tracks, Peppers are pretty stale. They had their moment though as a mid 80's white boy California funky band.

Warped

#50 Post by Warped » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:23 am

Romeo wrote:I watched Dave's interview with swazy and I think the animosity (from the way he answered the question)might stem from the HOF thing
I agree. I also believe the "ego and arrogant musician coming on stage" was a dig at AK :lol: :lolol: