Perry Promises Low-Down Dirty Club Shows / Rolling Stone

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
cursed male

Perry Promises Low-Down Dirty Club Shows / Rolling Stone

#1 Post by cursed male » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:53 pm

Perry Farrell Promises 'Low-Down, Dirty Club Show' for Jane's Addiction Gigs
30 September 2011

Singer also designing elaborate touring production for next year

Jane's Addiction returns to Los Angeles' John Anson Ford Amphitheatre for the first time since 1989 on October 3rd and 4th – and Perry Farrell can't wait.

"I’m pretty psyched about it," Farrell tells Rolling Stone. The two gigs at the 1400-person capacity theatre are part of a six-show tour that already stopped at Chicago's Metro and wraps up at New York's Irving Plaza October 17th and 18th, with stops in between at Florida's DeLuna Fest and Atlantic City's House Of Blues.

Farrell promises the intimate shows will recall the late Eighties/early Nineties days of "Juana's Addicion." "This is gonna be like a low-down, dirty club show for people to see Jane’s Addiction up close," he says.

The October 18th Irving Plaza show coincides with the release of the group's highly anticipated new album, The Great Escape Artist. The album will get the large-scale live production next year. "I have the set already in my mind," he says. "It's going to be different than what we’re doing now. And we’ll definitely be introducing songs."

During the making of The Great Escape Artist Farrell toyed with the idea of doing the album live from start to finish or opening the show with an abbreviated set of new songs. Ultimately, though, the new material will co-exist in concert with the classic Jane's material because Farrell knows that's what fans want: "I want these young people to say, before I die, I saw them in concert."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... s-20110930

JOEinPHX

Re: Perry Promises Low-Down Dirty Club Shows / Rolling Stone

#2 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:37 pm

By elaborate, does he mean a theatrical play about a beautiful asian nurse and a flashmob victim who receive an invitation via a radio broadcast to come party in space?

Or does he mean it will have lasers?

nausearockpig

#3 Post by nausearockpig » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:20 pm

So the usual setlist with a few new songs? Wow!! That'd be way better than say the whole new album then 15 songs from xxx, ns, ritual.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#4 Post by Hokahey » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:26 pm

cursed male wrote: "I want these young people to say, before I die, I saw them in concert."

Poor fella still thinks it's 1997.

JOEinPHX

#5 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:15 pm

hokahey wrote:
cursed male wrote: "I want these young people to say, before I die, I saw them in concert."

Kid: Grandpa tell me about the time you saw Jane's Addiction!
Grandpa: Well it was 2012 and after 25 years together, they had finally put out a 4th album...
Kid: Wait, so... Eric Avery wasn't in the band?
Grandpa: No. Not at that time.
Kid: Oh. I thought you meant you saw the original lineup. Nevermind.

CaseyContrarian

#6 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:53 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
hokahey wrote:

Kid: Grandpa tell me about the time you saw Jane's Addiction!
Grandpa: Well it was 2012 and after 25 years together, they had finally put out a 4th album...
Kid: Wait, so... Eric Avery wasn't in the band?
Grandpa: No. Not at that time.
Kid: Oh. I thought you meant you saw the original lineup. Nevermind.
:tiphat:

Pandemonium

#7 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:35 pm

cursed male wrote:Farrell promises the intimate shows will recall the late Eighties/early Nineties days of "Juana's Addicion." "This is gonna be like a low-down, dirty club show for people to see Jane’s Addiction up close," he says.

The October 18th Irving Plaza show coincides with the release of the group's highly anticipated new album, The Great Escape Artist. The album will get the large-scale live production next year. "I have the set already in my mind," he says. "It's going to be different than what we’re doing now. And we’ll definitely be introducing songs."
When Perry starts talking "production," all I picture is clowns and circus freaks doing their shit every four songs in a 12 song set to stretch the show out to two hours on a stage set that looks like a half-assed Cirque De Solei idea. After the last 3 years of playing the same dozen or so songs, the focus had better be more than just a fancy set, some "performers" and playing 3 or 4 new songs max off the new album, especially if they're playing arenas and sheds in 2012 as a headliner.
cursed male wrote: During the making of The Great Escape Artist Farrell toyed with the idea of doing the album live from start to finish or opening the show with an abbreviated set of new songs. Ultimately, though, the new material will co-exist in concert with the classic Jane's material because Farrell knows that's what fans want: "I want these young people to say, before I die, I saw them in concert."
That's called backpeddling where I come from. Or a lack of faith in the new material. If Perry thinks that the majority of fans wants a show full of the old hits and a few new songs and he's willing to pander to that idea, welcome to being a nostalgia act. Why bother recording new stuff if there's only a few songs off a full new album worth playing on a tour to promote that album.

Quite honestly, I'd be pretty psyched to see the band one more time if they did something as ballsy as playing the entire new album from front to back with maybe a few of the burnout tunes at the end even if the new album was mediocre. That kind of willingness to take risks is what defines to me "the late Eighties/early Nineties days of Juana's Addicion."

Eric B.

#8 Post by Eric B. » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:14 pm

Exactly. Sounds like this album is more an excuse to tour some more instead of a genuine wisch to make some art. What bothers me is that Perry clearly has his mind made up about what his audience wants from him. I don't recognise myself in how he portraits his audience. I don't want a nostalgia act. I want a band whos tries to create something daring. I'll be really forgiving if they fail at trying but resent not trying and playing it safe. Recently I saw some docs on Billy Corgan. Say what you want. I also don't like a lot of stuff he does, but you can't accuse him of betraying his fanbase. He has a huge output and tries to create interesting stuff. What are we stuck with? 38 minutes of music after 8 years which seemingly only is made because more touring without a new album will really make them a nostalgia act. With a new album they can pretend to be relevant and stay in the a- league. This album better be good!!