Janes NS show LA 9/20

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Matz

Re: Janes NS show LA 9/20

#76 Post by Matz » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:12 pm

yeah that sucks Warped, hope things improve!

dannyboy

#77 Post by dannyboy » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:07 pm

That's rough...sorry warped

Jasper

#78 Post by Jasper » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:38 pm

Warped wrote:Awesome, thanks for posting.

I could not go due to terrible cervical spine pain..can barely sit or lay down atm :wavesad: This in addition to the family stress and passing of my mom...i am really down atm.
You will rise up and kick adversity in the ass.

Now is the time to summon all of your strength and resolve.

Consider it a challenge before the whole human race that you ain't gonna lose.

Artemis

#79 Post by Artemis » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:03 pm

Sorry to read you are not well, warped. :wavesad:

I hope you are feeling better soon.

bman

#80 Post by bman » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:31 am

creep
Site Admin

#81 Post by creep » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:39 am

bman wrote:Pretty Good Rock and Roll. :rockon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoSii0QvTso
you made me click thinking they actually played "rock & roll" :noclue:

i should have known.

JOEinPHX

#82 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:07 am

Their performances sound so much better when you can't see Etty.

CaseyContrarian

#83 Post by CaseyContrarian » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:26 am

The first solo on "Pigs" was actually pretty inspired. Neat modal improv. That guy is such a cool player when he cares to be.

Matz

#84 Post by Matz » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:53 am

it was just ok in my book, the ones on the album are way, way cooler. I thought he said he'd play the album note for note

bman

#85 Post by bman » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:40 am

Yea it's nice to see a little improv from Dave for a change. I agree with 6767 too!

Essence_Smith

#86 Post by Essence_Smith » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:00 pm

Jasper wrote:
When I was a kid my uncle who's only 10 years older would always sing this after kicking my ass in Scrabble...not in any other board games, just Scrabble... :lol:

Hype

#87 Post by Hype » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:13 pm

It really sucks that, unfortunately, the best part of JA is the part of it that is completely missing now, and in both cases, will never be heard again. Perry just can't sing those songs the way they're meant to be heard, with his voice driving the entire melody... Jane Says sounded pathetic. And while Chris plays a competent bass, the mix is fucked and it's just not driving the songs. :confused: What the hell is the point of even hoping that this could sound good? The band was essentially a screaming banshee and a repetitive droning driving bassline... and both of those things are dead.

I don't really like Interpol that much, but compare the weak shit bass from this JA show to this:

tubro

#88 Post by tubro » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:41 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
SR wrote:B. was it in order? Either way I can't see myself not going

And what do VIP tix get you at these things
Usually: A tshirt, fake laminate that doesn't get you anywhere, a poster, and access to a special bar that has all the same liquor as the regular bar but isn't quite as far of a walk.
you forgot a vip viewing area which is usually some bleachers to the extreme house right or left, where it looks and sounds like shit. but that's only triple face for tickets. for a grand or so most concert promoters will sell you a super VIP experience which provides a nicer useless laminate, beer, wine, cold chicken wings and room temperature celery and carrots in a tent with other rich losers, and genuine private standing room at the rail with a fence behind you so that the regular fans who got there early can toss beer and spit on your heads from behind.

creep
Site Admin

#89 Post by creep » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:42 pm

dave said that they didn't rehearse once for these shows and that perry didn't even show up for soundcheck. laziest band ever. he also said that perry sounded better than he has for years and that manchester was the best show of them all. :noclue:

Pandemonium

#90 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:18 pm

creep wrote:dave said that they didn't rehearse once for these shows and that perry didn't even show up for soundcheck. laziest band ever. he also said that perry sounded better than he has for years and that manchester was the best show of them all. :noclue:
I'm sure even Vince Neil would sound great if he only did 5 shows a year.

Fuck it guys, just don't bother showing up for your shows at all - it'll be your best concert ever!

Japhy

#91 Post by Japhy » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:10 am

creep wrote:dave said that they didn't rehearse once for these shows and that perry didn't even show up for soundcheck. laziest band ever. he also said that perry sounded better than he has for years and that manchester was the best show of them all. :noclue:
Dude, although I wanted the bass to be louder (and for the whole thing to be a couple of notches louder if i'm honest), I really did, somewhat surprisingly, enjoy the Brixton show - Perry's voice was far better than I ever thought it would be. There was a good vibe in the air. The Chip Away farce was annoying but it was a pretty good show overall.

A guy that i know through work went to the Manchester show and just said that they were all really relaxed and appeared to be having a fun time... good to hear that Dave agreed.

bman

#92 Post by bman » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:32 am

LOL...Imagine if these guys cared? They care about sounding good and putting on a decent show..which they do...But imagine how great they'd be if they actually spend a month jamming in a garage? Just twice a week for a couple of hours! That's all it would take and they'd probably even make a couple of new good songs...They didn't even rehearse once for the Uproar tour and just did the same set as TGEA tour. It's beyond milking it in. How about adding the Had a Dad intro jam that they used to play live? I blame Perry and Navarro. They obviously cant stand eachother and both of them are fucking lazy when it comes to Janes.

Xizen47

#93 Post by Xizen47 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:20 am

[quote="bman"] LOL...Imagine if these guys cared? [quote]

Their songwriting would still suck, so it really wouldn't mean much as far as new material goes.

Varied setlists would be cool, but there's so many better bands out there right now, I can't see myself ever paying for another Janes show

Hype

#94 Post by Hype » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:24 am

I don't understand why anyone thinks Dave is even an issue. He plays these songs competently standing on his head. The songs suck because the bass is turned down in the mix and doesn't sound right, the songs are down-tuned, and Perry can't carry the melody (even though the songs were written with heavy reliance on vocal melody), so much so that he pulls away from the mic constantly (and has been doing this for at least a decade...). Just listen to the Jane Says vid. from the same show as one of the ones linked earlier in this thread. It's godawful, but not because of Dave... It's basically a two-chord strum-along campfire song... it sucks because there's no soul in the melody (and why is Chris even playing electric bass during it? So unnecessary... just makes it colder).

Here's the recent Jane Says I'm talking about:

God... awful.
I couldn't care less about Dave even being in the band... the songs would be better with a female vocalist with enough range to hit the young Perry's notes in E with the same scream-singing energy he had...

This guy isn't playing the guitar properly at all, but he can actually sing it in the original key into the fucking mic:

If he dropped the guitar and just had the dude on the bongos and sang that, it would sound better than Jane's Addiction plays it these days. Because THE ENTIRE SONG is the vocal melody (plus a little drum help...)

And yes... I just said that the guy from Matchbox 20 (90s shitrock) can sing better than Perry Farrell...

JOEinPHX

#95 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:55 pm

Xizen47 wrote:

Varied setlists would be cool, but there's so many better bands out there right now, I can't see myself ever paying for another Janes show
That's how I feel. I paid to see Alice in Chains last summer, and Jane's just happened to be there. I'm glad I saw them, but I wouldn't have paid money if it was just Jane's. They aren't worth 50 bucks alone.

kv

#96 Post by kv » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:17 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:I don't understand why anyone thinks Dave is even an issue. He plays these songs competently standing on his head. The songs suck because the bass is turned down in the mix and doesn't sound right, the songs are down-tuned, and Perry can't carry the melody (even though the songs were written with heavy reliance on vocal melody), so much so that he pulls away from the mic constantly (and has been doing this for at least a decade...)
bingo

Juana

#97 Post by Juana » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:42 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote:The first solo on "Pigs" was actually pretty inspired. Neat modal improv. That guy is such a cool player when he cares to be.
I agree it was cool to see him nerd out a bit

tubro

#98 Post by tubro » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:43 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:... and Perry can't carry the melody (even though the songs were written with heavy reliance on vocal melody), so much so that he pulls away from the mic constantly (and has been doing this for at least a decade...)
he's been doing it since at least 1997. i just posted here the other day about being in the opera box right next to the platform on which perry sang summertime rolls at the hammerstein halloween show. a very distinct memory of that show was watching perry from a few feet away sing that way on that song. it was astounding. i had never seen him or anyone do it like that. he was modulating his volume in a sort of non-linear way in relation to how far and near he was to the microphone. and because he was a few feet away i could hear him singing as though acapella but at the same time could hear it from the house p.a. up at the stage each getting louder and softer at different times.
of course neither he or i were anything close to sober at that moment. but i think i was pretty well locked in and paying attention to something quite cool.
i'm not defending how perry sings today. it certainly frequently leaves a lot to be desired and it's likely he way overuses this technique these days. but it wasn't a lazy or fucked up technique back then, is my point. i guess like many things, something he once did well he now does more as a caricature of that former guy.

bman

#99 Post by bman » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:19 am

I wished they finished the 'Tonight' section..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoSii0QvTso

Romeo

#100 Post by Romeo » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:02 am

Well the NY show will be the CBGB's festival in October

The good thing is the shows are either free or like $10. So bman won't be digging in his 401K