Perry is serious about dance music

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
CaseyContrarian

Re: Perry is serious about dance music

#126 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:27 am

Well, I also teach a course in this stuff at Georgetown (in their communications, culture & tech grad school) so humanities connection is reinforced at least on my end!

It's definitely been a weird path for me. But I've gotten more of an education in the industry and politics/policy this way than if I'd have gone back to school (studied jazz guitar at age 16 for two whole years; that's it). I'm cautiously optimistic about the future, but maintain that there's a lot that the music biz can teach us about disruption in other sectors. Can't wait for 3D printing to eliminate what's left of manufacturing!

SR

#127 Post by SR » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:10 am

Nice, like to see yr syllabi.

Matov

#128 Post by Matov » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:10 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote:Can't wait for 3D printing to eliminate what's left of manufacturing!
Can't wait for the "printing guns is killing the killing industry" bumper stickers :lol:

Have you heard of steve knopper?
http://www.amazon.com/Appetite-Self-Des ... d_cp_mov_3

Stumbled accross that one on some book bargain during holidays in london. I kinda remember it trying to avoid a moral standpoint on music downloading while pointing out several faults and bad decision making on the big industry fellas during the napster/itunes years... i'd love to know your thoughts on it.

Would also looove to take one of your courses but flying all the way to georgetown for education is a bit steep for my "an album costs a few meals' worth of money" budget :conf:

Anyway as i said earlier you really seem like a sensible person who knows what he's talking about. You've motivated me to further research on the subject, as an amateur up and coming diy solo musician i could really use some wise-up :wave:

CaseyContrarian

#129 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:03 pm

Thanks, man. I aspire to be a reasonable person in the most unreasonable town working within the most unreasonable industry.

I actually taught that book in the class before this one. It's a really great accounting of all the missed opportunities in the recorded music industry, and how they got shellacked by Napster. But now the majors are figuring out a new way to game the system, wheee!

I think we might be aiming to putting together a free online version of the course sometime... the internet is about to disrupt higher ed, too. It's so weird to watch academics "fall for" the same kind of thinking -- build the platform and the business model will magically appear -- that a lot of musicians have been hearing for 15 years.

But I do believe in democratic access to information, so fingers crossed.

SR

#131 Post by SR » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:08 pm

Yes, brick and mortar is becoming endangered where higher education is concerned, especially humanity programs and proffs. Major players from multiple Ivy League schools are now offering 'free' classes online to student body's that range in the late hundreds into the thousands. Next class.....buy the book @500 bucks. :lol: Jesus, the state of ca is basically funding their competition, by increasing cal grants while simultaneously cutting both the UC and cal state systems.

SR

#132 Post by SR » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:09 pm

And the syllabi looks great, and better....meaningful for those involved