The Official Xiola.org review

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
sonny

Re: The Official Xiola.org review

#126 Post by sonny » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:07 pm

kv wrote:so if you like lobster it is impossible for you to like taco bell

one is a 10 the other is a 6 but they are both likes not hates not loves, likes
wait, wait, wait. you really think this new album is taco bell good?

this new album is gay, plain and simple. perry's dance tracks with dave playing guitar and stephen posing as the drummer.

all the while sitek is laughing his ass off, that these guys really put this shit out.

sonny

#127 Post by sonny » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:09 pm

feathers mcgraw wrote:I disregarded everything he said after, on about page 2, he said that Dave wasn't really present on Strays. Really? You mean that dumb rock reocrd with all the meathead riffs and big guitar solos?
it could've been any guitar player, is what i meant. obviously he's present, but much like stephen is all but missing on the new one, dave is also just part of the wallpaper on strays.

sonny

#128 Post by sonny » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:11 pm

Warped wrote:]
sonny wrote: i just don't see how one person can hold ritual in one hand and the great escape artist in the other hand and say "these are two albums that i like". :lol:
I would add Nothing's shocking :hehe:
i was making a point, ritual or shocking would've done fine for my example. most seem to think ritual is the best, i would also disagree with that. nothing's shocking is the jane's addiction i know and love. obviously, three days is jane's addiction in fine form live, but as a cohesive record, nothing's shocking is much better.

sonny

#129 Post by sonny » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:13 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
sonny wrote:i'll repeat myself, and i always end up doing this. i'm not comparing or expecting ritual/shocking. but if it's gonna be called jane's addiction, then there should be some resemblance. (snip)
Resemblance to what? The pre 1991 era? Strays?

Janes recorded work is pretty much defined by the original lineup era, the Strays era and I guess... now. There's been no gradual tapering off of the bands' quality since Ritual - it's been a bunch of nostalgia tours with cock-rawk Strays being the lone released album 'til now. And I'd take a wild guess you weren't hoping for a Strays-quality release, thus you obviously were hoping (against all logic) that they'd somehow artistically come within the same ballpark as their first 3 albums. Comparing this band and their huge changes in artistic style and quality to bands like Radiohead who've essentially stayed active their entire run (and been far more prolific) is ridiculous.

Look, I understand your point that if the remaining band members are going to use the moniker, they should have some level of quality and artistic integrity in the music. I *don't* expect them to slavishly follow the same sonic formula as their previous work and I actually applaud them for trying to go in new directions, successful or not. What I don't get is the seeming level of surprise and rancor from you that the album came out as it did (in your opinion) under the circumstances.

Finally, I think it's assinine to say that people who were into the original lineup/music from this band *shouldn't* like the new record. Personal tastes can range all over the map and it's ok to like music that may be generally regarded as mediocre and fleeting along with music that is clearly great and timeless. Even if it's from the same band.
i am saying, nothing on this record sounds like jane's addiction. no matter what era you want compare it to. it could be compared to strays or ritual, whatever.

these songs sound like perry's dance project with etty, if they asked dave to play guitar on it. twisted tales is "applause for you" with dave on guitar.

sonny

#130 Post by sonny » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:14 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
sonny wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:Are any of you actually reading anything sony is saying?

Seriously what year is this, 2010?

This is 2011, Jane's Addiction has a new album, and it's good. Shit has changed.

Enjoy the past, bro.
joe, sounding like perry farrell himself. that's my sign to exit. :eric: :ns: :oldtimer: :sui:
Bye!

Thanks for whatever it is you did in the past to contribute :rockon:
yes, yes. whatever i did. if you think for one second sonny or sony didn't impact the jane's addiction community and even the band, yr delusional.

the past of course being 2 months ago. :lol:

JOEinPHX

#131 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:16 pm

CaseyContrarian

#132 Post by CaseyContrarian » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:17 pm

sonny wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:
sonny wrote:i'll repeat myself, and i always end up doing this. i'm not comparing or expecting ritual/shocking. but if it's gonna be called jane's addiction, then there should be some resemblance. (snip)
Resemblance to what? The pre 1991 era? Strays?

Janes recorded work is pretty much defined by the original lineup era, the Strays era and I guess... now. There's been no gradual tapering off of the bands' quality since Ritual - it's been a bunch of nostalgia tours with cock-rawk Strays being the lone released album 'til now. And I'd take a wild guess you weren't hoping for a Strays-quality release, thus you obviously were hoping (against all logic) that they'd somehow artistically come within the same ballpark as their first 3 albums. Comparing this band and their huge changes in artistic style and quality to bands like Radiohead who've essentially stayed active their entire run (and been far more prolific) is ridiculous.

Look, I understand your point that if the remaining band members are going to use the moniker, they should have some level of quality and artistic integrity in the music. I *don't* expect them to slavishly follow the same sonic formula as their previous work and I actually applaud them for trying to go in new directions, successful or not. What I don't get is the seeming level of surprise and rancor from you that the album came out as it did (in your opinion) under the circumstances.

Finally, I think it's assinine to say that people who were into the original lineup/music from this band *shouldn't* like the new record. Personal tastes can range all over the map and it's ok to like music that may be generally regarded as mediocre and fleeting along with music that is clearly great and timeless. Even if it's from the same band.
i am saying, nothing on this record sounds like jane's addiction. no matter what era you want compare it to. it could be compared to strays or ritual, whatever.

these songs sound like perry's dance project with etty, if they asked dave to play guitar on it. twisted tales is "applause for you" with dave on guitar.
That is absurd. Twisted Tales may not be the greatest song in their catalog by a longshot, but it's one of the stronger cuts on the album, and in no way is it anywhere near the unlistenable embarrassment of Applause for You. And this isn't a dance or house music bias here; that song is just awful. TT is simply leaps and bounds better.
Last edited by CaseyContrarian on Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pandemonium

#133 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:17 pm

sonny wrote:yes, yes. whatever i did. if you think for one second sonny or sony didn't impact the jane's addiction community and even the band, yr delusional.

You should know better'n anyone we're all only as good as our last hit single.

creep
Site Admin

#134 Post by creep » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:19 pm

sonny sure gets people all fired up. i don't really like the album but i'm glad some do and who am i to say they shouldn't.

sonny

#135 Post by sonny » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:22 pm

Deconstruction wrote:
sonny wrote:
Deconstruction wrote:Again, you're being a closed minded self righteous ass. So you are saying anybody who likes the new record isn't a real Jane's fan and can't grasp what Jane's is? Get off your high horse, we all listen to the records and no fan is better than any other fan. These guys are in their 40's and 50's, they're never going to make music that sounds like Ritual/Nothing's Shocking, even if Eric had made a new record with them. I have no problem with some pop influences coming, I think Perry has some killer melodies on the album, I don't give a fuck if they're pop or whatever. I like The Great Escape Artist, like I said it's fine that you don't like it, I disagree with some people here about their favorite/least favorite tracks, but you need to get over the fact that there are actually people who like the record. You aren't going to change anyone's mind, give it a rest.

Also Sonny, I'm not into many of the bands or records you listed (outside of the Chili Peppers, I prefer old Radiohead).
it's not about better or real fans. i wouldn't consider myself a real fan anymore. i always have to say i'm a fan of the original line up. which is a pain.

i'm saying how can you like ritual/shocking albums, and also say you like this album? forget all the excuses about it not being the original jane's or perry is 52 now, blah, blah, blah.

i'm not going to change anyone's mind, not trying. i'm only saying, do you really think this is a good album? or is it "good enough, considering the alternative is the panic channel and satellite party" or is it good enough compared to "applause for you"?

it's ok to not like this record. it doesn't make you bitter or a hater. it's just a matter of taste.
Because I like the songs. Words Right Out of My Mouth has a great riff and catchy melody, it rocks and I love the breakdown and Dave's solo. I love Underground, a creative melody from Perry with good lyrics, great playing from Dave. I'll Hit You Back has a beautiful riff from Dave and a really nice melody from Perry, and the story behind the song about Perry and his stepmother makes it an interesting story. I also like Twisted Tales, End To The Lies, and Broken People. IF is a good song outside of the lousy first verse, but the song sounds better in the context of the album. Ultimate Reason is decent, not big on Splash A Little Water Yet either. I don't like Curiosity Kills. Get it now? I'm not making excuses for any of them, this is an album of music, I listened to it and like quite a few tracks on it, the end. Your negativity and differing opinion won't change mine, just like my positive opinion on the album won't change yours. Why don't you accept this and just drop it and stop being so fucking self-righteous.

BTW Sonny, I don't get how you can like NS/RDLH and not like The Great Escape Artist :cool:
you should be shot for liking twisted tales, son. you should probably do it yrself, but if you can muster the courage to do so, please ask the nearest person to do so.

"catchy melody"?? are you on crack?? did you just say a jane's addiction song has a "catchy melody". you do now that commercial jingles have "catchy melodies". yr next bit of proof that it's good would be to say "it's got a nice beat and you can dance to it."

please go repost some news about courtney love on yr grunge site or review the foo fighters new catchy melodies.

sonny

#136 Post by sonny » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:23 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
sonny wrote:yes, yes. whatever i did. if you think for one second sonny or sony didn't impact the jane's addiction community and even the band, yr delusional.

You should know better'n anyone we're all only as good as our last hit single.
definitely true with this crowd. yrself included :essence:

CaseyContrarian

#137 Post by CaseyContrarian » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:23 pm

Jesus Fucking Christ, nobody is saying that Sonny isn't the fucking man for all he's done to keep this shit alive over the years and hold the band to some kind of standard. And if they are, they're idiots. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: this is about his unwillingness to entertain that we can somehow rate this release lower than he band's high watermark and still not think its the worst thing in the world. Hell, maybe we even like a song or two.

The band is dead. We all get that. But, as someone once said at the old board, Perry often sounds good singing over Dave's guitars. That was true with parts of Strays, and remains true for parts of TGEA. It's not the band I remember, but I have other things to listen to (and create), so I can take it foe what it is.
Last edited by CaseyContrarian on Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sonny

#138 Post by sonny » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:25 pm

creep wrote:sonny sure gets people all fired up. i don't really like the album but i'm glad some do and who am i to say they shouldn't.
you should speak up. just because some like it doesn't mean others should be allowed to say they don't for fear they'll ruin the sycophants good time.

if i don't like the album i'm negative, if i do i'm positive?

completely stupid.

Pandemonium

#139 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:28 pm

sonny wrote:
creep wrote:sonny sure gets people all fired up. i don't really like the album but i'm glad some do and who am i to say they shouldn't.
you should speak up. just because some like it doesn't mean others should be allowed to say they don't for fear they'll ruin the sycophants good time.

completely stupid.
Read through some of the threads a bit more thoroughly before proclaiming yourself the sole martyr of the TGEA he-man haters club.

Pandemonium

#140 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:29 pm

sonny wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:You should know better'n anyone we're all only as good as our last hit single.
Hey, I call 'em as I see 'em, big boy.

creep
Site Admin

#141 Post by creep » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:30 pm

sonny wrote:

completely stupid.
oh come on...no one would say shit to you (probably) if you didn't basically say that everyone is an idiot for liking it. you are just trying to start shit. should i all of a sudden reply to everyone that likes the album with "you're stupid"? again...i'm glad people like it and i don't hate it...it's just not they type of music i personally like.

Artemis

#142 Post by Artemis » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:31 pm

sonny,I don't think the problem is your negativity about the album. It's the insults to the people who do like it. Maybe you're just trying to be provocative to stir things up which is fine, but it's not necessary to put people down for liking it.

also, there are quite a few people who dislike TGEA. larry for instance gave it a pretty scathing review.
Last edited by Artemis on Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JOEinPHX

#143 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:47 pm

i find it ironic that sonny shut down his board because of supposed fighting and negativity, and then we start this one where everyone is getting along... and he comes along to stir up a bunch of fighting and negativity.

You are message board poison, sir.

Kajicat

#144 Post by Kajicat » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:49 pm

sonny wrote:..."catchy melody"?? are you on crack?? did you just say a jane's addiction song has a "catchy melody". you do now that commercial jingles have "catchy melodies". yr next bit of proof that it's good would be to say "it's got a nice beat and you can dance to it."
News for you: A good deal of Jane's songs have a "catchy melody". Summertime Rolls? Classic Girl? Been Caught Stealing? Jane Says? City? Maceo? Stop!? etc.

Oh, and I regularly do tribal dancing to Chip Away. If I really wanted to, I could dance to Thank You Boys, Jane Says, Standing in the Shower...Thinking, Idiots Rule, Of Course, No One's Leaving, and more.

Sonny you've absolutely lost it man. And I seriously feel for you because I know how much the band meant to you. If you have to, listen to TGEA while imagine Jane's circa 1986 performing it live at some special secret show on Mars that only you were invited to or something. It might help :noclue:

sonny

#145 Post by sonny » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:52 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
sonny wrote:

completely stupid.
Read through some of the threads a bit more thoroughly before proclaiming yourself the sole martyr of the TGEA he-man haters club.
look, flat top, you twist words. i'm only saying you shouldn't be afraid to say dave sitek should die a painful death for encouraging this album, without the positive ninnies crying.

i never said i was the only one. you said that.

i never said i was a hater and i shouldn't be labeled as such.

read yrself, son.

sonny

#146 Post by sonny » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:54 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
sonny wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:You should know better'n anyone we're all only as good as our last hit single.
Hey, I call 'em as I see 'em, big boy.
yes, i agree, you are a part of the fair weather crowd. as we continue our last word contest. :lol:

Pandemonium

#147 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:54 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:i find it ironic that sonny shut down his board because of supposed fighting and negativity, and then we start this one where everyone is getting along... and he comes along to stir up a bunch of fighting and negativity.

Ehh, despite his current angry man persona, he occasionally still makes a valid point here and there.

And seriously, anyone that's that put off by the guy can ignore his posts. It's not like he's gluing your eyes Clockwork Orange-style to the screen forcing you to read and respond.

CaseyContrarian

#148 Post by CaseyContrarian » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:55 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:i find it ironic that sonny shut down his board because of supposed fighting and negativity, and then we start this one where everyone is getting along... and he comes along to stir up a bunch of fighting and negativity.

I for one, have felt very comfortable commenting at ANR. I love all the characters. I also think we've managed to keep things on the level, despite Sonny's dire pronouncements. Oh, I know, I know, it's only been a couple of months. We'll have to wait for the inevitable. You know what? Perry is 52 years old. The inevitable is that people will stop giving a shit completely. Until then, can we keep having a board that makes us feel welcome?

sonny

#149 Post by sonny » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:56 pm

creep wrote:
sonny wrote:

completely stupid.
oh come on...no one would say shit to you (probably) if you didn't basically say that everyone is an idiot for liking it. you are just trying to start shit. should i all of a sudden reply to everyone that likes the album with "you're stupid"? again...i'm glad people like it and i don't hate it...it's just not they type of music i personally like.
if all you can come up with is "you're stupid" then no. you should bow out now.

i was only saying it is ok to say 'twisted tales' is a dance song, that would've fit on p!ink's record, better than a jane's addiction record.

sonny

#150 Post by sonny » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:57 pm

Artemis wrote:sonny,I don't think the problem is your negativity about the album. It's the insults to the people who do like it. Maybe you're just trying to be provocative to stir things up which is fine, but it's not necessary to put people down for liking it.

also, there are quite a few people who dislike TGEA. larry for instance gave it a pretty scathing review.
oh, it's not so bad. i apologize if anyone's feelings were hurt.

except dave sitek, he can go die. :hehe: