Underground video premieres Jan 25th on VEVO

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Romeo

Re: Underground video premieres Jan 25th on VEVO

#226 Post by Romeo » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:50 am

ooooooooh they released a nsfw version with boobies??

How risque :eyes:

This band is toast.

Artemis

#227 Post by Artemis » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:16 am

Romeo wrote:ooooooooh they released a nsfw version with boobies??

This band is toast.
:essence: You have to keep with the theme.

"This band is toasted almonds."

JOEinPHX

#228 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:20 am

Yeah Romeo, no need to be so salty

Tyler Durden

#229 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:08 am

Romeo wrote:ooooooooh they released a nsfw version with boobies??

This band is toast.
They did the same thing in 1988 with the "Mountain Song" video. Same with "End To The Lies". What's your point? :noclue:

With "Underground", the uncut version is obviously the REAL version of the video (because the edited version looks like it was cut by Uwe Boll in about 5 minutes after a serious bender. They clearly released the edited version just so it could be uploaded to YouTube.

Larry B.

#230 Post by Larry B. » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:10 pm

Has anybody pointed out that those tits were ugly?

Besides, what's so shocking about breasts in 2012? I'd much rather seen a big pair of nuts or a close-up of a red and moist penis frenulum.

Tyler Durden

#231 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:24 pm

Larry B. wrote:Has anybody pointed out that those tits were ugly?
No, but you're right. However, maybe they are meant to represent pre-implant 1920s boobs?
Larry B. wrote:Besides, what's so shocking about breasts in 2012?
Nothing.
Larry B. wrote:I'd much rather seen a big pair of nuts or a close-up of a red and moist penis frenulum.
Uh, no.

Romeo

#232 Post by Romeo » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:26 pm

my point is...

B-O-R-I-N-G.

Every fucking band does the same fucking thing. Absolutely no "art" involved.

Funny because VH1 Classic was showing old videos at like 1am on 120 min. They showed "Rooster". I forgot how much videos used to be more like a movie or Bjork (who's videos are just wacky but still) than "show band...cut to 2 girls making out....back to band". :sleep:

Romeo

#233 Post by Romeo » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:27 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:Yeah Romeo, no need to be so salty
sorry, I was shelled shocked

JOEinPHX

#234 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:34 pm

Romeo wrote:my point is...

B-O-R-I-N-G.

Funny because VH1 Classic was showing old videos at like 1am on 120 min. They showed "Rooster". I forgot how much videos used to be more like a movie or Bjork (who's videos are just wacky but still) than "show band...cut to 2 girls making out....back to band". :sleep:
True story. I was watching 120 minutes about 2 weeks ago and thought the same thing "videos used to be fucking awesome"

Something about the 90s was just really great. Art and music collided in awesomeness.

Tyler Durden

#235 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:48 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Romeo wrote:my point is...

B-O-R-I-N-G.

True story. I was watching 120 minutes about 2 weeks ago and thought the same thing "videos used to be fucking awesome"

Something about the 90s was just really great. Art and music collided in awesomeness.
...and MONEY. :idea:

JOEinPHX

#236 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:50 pm

Yeah. Strange how much money all those companies made, and they didn't seem to pay attention. Now they are floundering with disposable pop and blaming it on the internet. *facepalm*

Romeo

#237 Post by Romeo » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:42 pm

making a video was like making a commercial....there was an idea on a story board....people thought "GRANDIOSE". Sometimes the band was only shown sporadically...
Like Rooster. Jerry's dad doing his farm stuff, the flashbacks to Nam were graphic. The guys getting blown up...and Layne was in it a few times. THAT was a cool video and told the story of the song perfectly.

Tyler Durden

#238 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:59 pm

Romeo wrote:making a video was like making a commercial....there was an idea on a story board....people thought "GRANDIOSE". Sometimes the band was only shown sporadically...
Like Rooster. Jerry's dad doing his farm stuff, the flashbacks to Nam were graphic. The guys getting blown up...and Layne was in it a few times. THAT was a cool video and told the story of the song perfectly.
Again, this was because there was way more money involved in those days.

SR

#239 Post by SR » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:49 pm

Post Reagan/Bush I years.....pre 9-11.....Clinton surplus=people were less afraid, thus less conservative. Art flourished.

Tyler Durden

#240 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:00 pm

SR wrote:Post Reagan/Bush I years.....pre 9-11.....Clinton surplus=people were less afraid, thus less conservative. Art flourished.
Then how do you explain the film "boom" of the past 10 years? There's been a TON of creativity in film.

JOEinPHX

#241 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:20 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
Romeo wrote:making a video was like making a commercial....there was an idea on a story board....people thought "GRANDIOSE". Sometimes the band was only shown sporadically...
Again, this was because there was way more money involved in those days.
So?

All of the things they did back then for 200,000 dollars can be done by anyone with access to a 500 dollar HD camera and a 2000 dollar Macbook today.

Find any film school student and they'd shit their pants at the chance to do a music video for a major band.

Total cost: 5 grand. Tops.

JOEinPHX

#242 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:21 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
SR wrote:Post Reagan/Bush I years.....pre 9-11.....Clinton surplus=people were less afraid, thus less conservative. Art flourished.
Then how do you explain the film "boom" of the past 10 years? There's been a TON of creativity in film.
Lower costs on higher quality equiptment.

The ability to get great cameras and editing software for cheap.

Stock macbooks doing everything that a million dollar studio was needed for prior.

JOEinPHX

#243 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:23 pm

Tyler, It's strange that you think money is necessary for a great video today, and yet turned right around and talked about the boom in film creativity in the last 10 years immediately after.

The boom is happening because it DOESN'T cost a lot of money now. That's just a fact.

JOEinPHX

#244 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:37 pm

Here's a good example of a band that stuck it to Capital Records...

OK Go

They recorded an album. Capital wouldn't give them any money to support it and told them it was dead in the water.

So the singer borrowed his sister's video camera and they did this on her back porch...

It went viral, got millions of hits, sold them a crapload of records, and they hit the road.

Capital still wouldn't pony up any dough. Flash in the pan they were told.

So they rented 6 treadmills, borrow the sister's video camera again, and did this...

Went viral again. Millions of hits. Sold more records.

2 videos. tens of millions of hits. Done for no money. Both interesting. Both unique. People watch them from start to finish. Then copy them and upload them elsewhere.

So what is Jane's doing with the mime performance videos? I'm not saying the band needs to dance, i'm just saying there are options other than spending a crapton of money to make a piece of shit no one will ever watch.

OK Go still ended up getting no respect from Capital and parted ways with them a few years ago. You think Jane's is going to fare any better by selling no records and spending ridiculous amounts of money on videos no one will ever play? "We released a video and our albums sales didn't go up, i don't know why".... because you're old and fucking stupid. It's not 1980 and to get noticed you have to be interesting and not just film yourself onstage playing the song like Bon fucking Jovi

Here Jane's, this is you...

You're making Bon Jovi videos in an OK Go world.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#245 Post by Hokahey » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:44 pm

Yeah Underground is a pretty cool video. It's not the greatest video of all time. But all in all it's a cool video. Some of you will bitch no matter what they do, which is a shame. If the band gets no credit for doing things right then we really are just "haters."

Matz

#246 Post by Matz » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:09 pm

that's a good point 67, that's what I was thinking too. Nowadays I'm guessing that high quality camera doesn't cost that much so buy one and then find some young talented hungry wanna be director and have him come up with a cool concept. Would have been way better than this I'm sure

JOEinPHX

#247 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:16 pm

hokahey wrote:Yeah Underground is a pretty cool video. It's not the greatest video of all time. But all in all it's a cool video. Some of you will bitch no matter what they do, which is a shame. If the band gets no credit for doing things right then we really are just "haters."
It's not right though.

It's just another performance video. They've been done to death. Especially by Jane's.

Why not do something different?

Here's Mark Lanegan's new video. Dark. Gritty. Interesting. No band pretending to play.

Effective. Fits the mood of the song. Mark doesn't appear once.

Tyler Durden

#248 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:34 pm

At the end of the day, it's the music that matters. I can think of some amazing bands or albums that had terrible videos. *Cough*Danzig*cough*

I take a much bigger issue with TGEA being "average" at best over anything to do with the videos that have been released.

JOEinPHX

#249 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:48 pm

OK guys, don't ask me how I did it, but i managed to track down the people who were behind the video and called in a favor to a friend. They hooked me up with the storyboard.

We should send this over to JA.org so it can be archived properly...

Hype

#250 Post by Hype » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:16 pm

You need to send that to Dave's twitter. :nod: