strays
68%
the great escape artist
32%

Total votes: 47

farrellgirl99

Re: strays vs. the great escape artist

#26 Post by farrellgirl99 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:30 am

i listened to both albums yesterday and Strays wipes the floor with TGEA.

i listened to strays with no idea who JA really was and i loved that album when it came out. and listening to it now, i still think about 3/4 of the songs are really good.

and it is musicially much more interesting to me than TGEA. i didnt hate TGEA at first, but i havent listened to the album again (before yesterday when i forced myself to) since the week it came out. the songs just sound pretty lifeless, like Romeo said in the other thread.

atleast strays has some power to it, even if it is more straight forward rock. the only song i really hate on strays is hypersonic. meanwhile the last half of TGEA is unlistenable to me. the songs sound half assed. atleast strays has some interesting progressions on it.

creep
Site Admin

#27 Post by creep » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:34 am

farrellgirl99 wrote: i didnt hate TGEA at first, but i havent listened to the album again
quite a few have said this. i listened to it once. i know i really didn't give it a chance with a second listen but i had no desire to.

MYXYLPLYX

#28 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:39 am

creep wrote:
farrellgirl99 wrote: i didnt hate TGEA at first, but i havent listened to the album again
quite a few have said this. i listened to it once. i know i really didn't give it a chance with a second listen but i had no desire to.
I listened to it more than once... it felt like I was doing homework. :no:

SR

#29 Post by SR » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:09 am

Easily, Strays.

Larry B.

#30 Post by Larry B. » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:16 am

Strays makes me somewhat nostalgic, while TGEA just annoys me. However, I do enjoy End to the Lies, solely because it's about us. That's fucking fantastic and endlessly hilarious.

perkana

#31 Post by perkana » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:59 am

neither
I played TGEA more than Strays, but only on the first day it streamed. Strays once. I couldn't care less about either

feathers mcgraw

#32 Post by feathers mcgraw » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:00 am

TGEA.

Strays is more or less a Velvet Revolver album. It was Ezrin/Jane's uninterested in doing something that would fit with the back catalogue and instead making something that would fetch in the $$$$.

TGEA at least has Dave doing some interesting stuff on the guitar that I haven't really heard him experimenting with before. Perry's lyrics are bad on TGEA but then again, Strays has the line "I've got my long cock drawn" so it's swings and roundabouts. I still regularly play TGEA though.

Juana

#33 Post by Juana » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:35 am

creep wrote:
I do not like any songs on TGEA even Underground sounds half assed to me. It reminds me of an album made so they can continue to tour on the old shit and it not "seem" as bad that they're still going to play the same 10 songs with Underground thrown in.

kv

#34 Post by kv » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:05 pm

creep wrote:
see thats what i meant when i said people were just over jane's when tega came out...if tega had come before strays it would be reversed i feel

NYRexall

#35 Post by NYRexall » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:12 pm

Deconstruction is still far and away the best thing any of them have released post-Ritual.

creep
Site Admin

#36 Post by creep » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:14 pm

kv wrote:
creep wrote:
see thats what i meant when i said people were just over jane's when tega came out...if tega had come before strays it would be reversed i feel
maybe...i still think i would like strays more because it's more of a rock record.

creep
Site Admin

#37 Post by creep » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:15 pm

NYRexall wrote:Deconstruction is still far and away the best thing any of them have released post-Ritual.
i disagree

NYRexall

#38 Post by NYRexall » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:23 pm

No way. Though there are great songs on that album, it sounds positively dwarfed compared to the Jane's albums.

Deconstruction was what the next Jane's album would have sounded like. All it was missing was Perry's words over the top of it all.

Larry B.

#39 Post by Larry B. » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:37 pm

NYRexall wrote:No way. Though there are great songs on that album, it sounds positively dwarfed compared to the Jane's albums.

Deconstruction was what the next Jane's album would have sounded like. All it was missing was Perry's words over the top of it all.
Deconstruction is a whol'nother animal. One I like better.

NYRexall

#40 Post by NYRexall » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:48 pm

It's not that I don't like the first P4P album, it's just that for every banger like 'Pets' or 'Bad Shit', there's a throwaway like 'Packin .25' or 'Black Girlfriend' :noclue:

creep
Site Admin

#41 Post by creep » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:50 pm

NYRexall wrote:there's a throwaway like 'Packin .25' or 'Black Girlfriend' :noclue:
what! two of my favorites

so good

Deconstruction

#42 Post by Deconstruction » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:50 pm

Strays. Off TGEA the only songs I listen to at all are Underground and Words Right Out Of My Mouth, sometimes I'll Hit You Back. Just a lot of songs with shit melodies that are just boring like Curiosity Kills and Ultimate Reason. Some alright stuff on the album, it's not like they embarrassed themselves outside of the lyrics to Irresistible Force.

While Strays had slick production, the songs are very memorable. Great riffs, great melodies, the only thing it lacks really is amazing lyrics. But that is an album I still listen to whenever I go on a Jane's kick.

NYRexall

#43 Post by NYRexall » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:54 pm

creep wrote:
NYRexall wrote:there's a throwaway like 'Packin .25' or 'Black Girlfriend' :noclue:
what! two of my favorites
Might explain why we don't agree on which album is better.

Matz

#44 Post by Matz » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:04 pm

Deconstruction wrote:Strays. Off TGEA the only songs I listen to at all are Underground and Words Right Out Of My Mouth, sometimes I'll Hit You Back. Just a lot of songs with shit melodies that are just boring like Curiosity Kills and Ultimate Reason. Some alright stuff on the album, it's not like they embarrassed themselves outside of the lyrics to Irresistible Force.

While Strays had slick production, the songs are very memorable. Great riffs, great melodies, the only thing it lacks really is amazing lyrics. But that is an album I still listen to whenever I go on a Jane's kick.
on Strays there's an element of danger and excitement, and you can tell that they mean what they say/play a lot of the time. There's some intense singing and guitar playing and drumming I suppose going on. Not at all on the level it's at on NS and Ritual, but at least there was a bit of it left.

On TGEA the songs suck and there's not one intense, ugly, dangerous moment on the whole thing. It's lifeless and polished and they're just going through the motions, making an album on autopilot without really thinking much or being present.

Glad to see it's 22-11 in Strays favor, I was getting worried there at 10-7

Hokahey
Site Admin

#45 Post by Hokahey » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:45 pm

Matz wrote: on Strays there's an element of danger and excitement
Can I please borrow whatever copy of this album you apparently have?

NYRexall

#46 Post by NYRexall » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:07 pm

Matz wrote:
On TGEA the songs suck and there's not one intense, ugly, dangerous moment on the whole thing. It's lifeless and polished and they're just going through the motions, making an album on autopilot without really thinking much or being present.
Let's be fair here: there are two winners on TGEA (Underground and Splash a Little Water On It)

Juana

#47 Post by Juana » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:33 pm

hokahey wrote:
Matz wrote: on Strays there's an element of danger and excitement
Can I please borrow whatever copy of this album you apparently have?
I only listen to it on a headful of Peyote

NYRexall

#48 Post by NYRexall » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:55 pm

Juana wrote:a headful of Peyote
:nod: :love: :nod:

blackula

#49 Post by blackula » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:02 pm

Strays starts off with a "here we go" and TGEA does not, therefore Strays is more of a Jane's album

trevor ayer

#50 Post by trevor ayer » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:10 pm

NYRexall wrote:It's not that I don't like the first P4P album, it's just that for every banger like 'Pets' or 'Bad Shit', there's a throwaway like 'Packin .25' or 'Black Girlfriend' :noclue:

we really are different beasts .. packin 25 and black girlfriend are pretty fuckin awesome .. i never dug bad shit except when pete sings it in hellride .. pets is fun

i'm gonna pick tgea by a cunt hair .. strays has an ok true nature and everybodys friend .. the rest really makes me hate my favorite band .. tgea has no good songs but the music is a lot better minus the vocals .. better riffs .. nice tones and sound .. if they erased perrys vocals and started over i could have been a decent record .. a lot of the music on strays sucks .. like that bass diarhea on price i pay .. it sounds like a guitar rock album and even tho dave is a great guitar player it was too opposite of what janes strengths really were .. tgea has more atmosphere in the music .. so that is something anyway .. i really hate both records tho almost equally

can we do a poll on which song is better .. 3 days .. purple rain .. or stairway to heaven? that would be fun :wiggle: