61%
He'll Think it's Terrible
25%

Total votes: 28

Essence_Smith

Re: What Will Eric Avery Think of TGEA?

#26 Post by Essence_Smith » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:29 pm

Pillar Girl wrote:
I have to respectfully disagree with most of what you've said here...as far as his decision to clear the air or give his side of the story I'm glad he did. Not because I wanted to know his p.o.v. so we could gossip about it, but because of the fact that he largely remained silent over the years and chose to go the route of addressing his opinions by way of going to a fansite where the fans were prolly the most devoted, etc...if you remember part of the reason he even chose to go back was because of the fans wanting him to come back...as far as him having "blown" it, thats kinda nuts imo...he gave it another chance, and did another tour and regardless of who we personally feel is to blame or whatever it didn't work out. I doubt he cares what the others choose to do and I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that he's not out there somewhere hoping they flop...as he said on his blog...he's put JA back on the shelf where he had em...he gave it another try to see for his own sake (and for the fans who wanted him back in) and it didnt work...
no matter what we may feel as fans, its not our opinion either way, weather that makes a good record, or he is involved.

all i was saying is that by him going public with in-house matters, only made things more dire to the public perception of the band.
was that needed? probably not, we already knew enough, i didn't need Eric going onto youtube and slamming Perry, nor am i taking
sides, it just showed the pettiness of the whole issue from both sides sadly, as Eric is much to blame as anyone for it not working.

weather he chose to be silent was his choice, and he had every right to speak out, but again, it was just bad taste, i never saw
anything with Perry, Dave or Steven going that route about other band members publicly, again...none of this matters, because
we as fans don't own the music, sure we pay for the record, live shows, but they are the sole creators of these projects.

as for Eric having any interest in the current JA, i don't care really to be honest, i love the record, as many do here it seems,
and at the end of the day, its what each of us think individually that counts, not a former bass player.

i still love Eric, i think he's one of the most amazing musicians ever to pick up the 4-string, and im also proud the other 3 kept
it going for more music, with or without him, they still did it, and from what im hearing, it wasn't too bad without him.

~Pilla
I think Eric felt he needed to air things out for his own sake and I think he felt he owed us an explanation as to why he walked away...after all, throughout all the reunions and Strays, etc, he NEVER did any interviews that spoke about his involvement in Jane's...
I don't think his interview was petty, and even though he said he piece I think he did so as respectfully as one can,to be fair he was answering questions Sonny took pretty much from the questions we all had...its not as if he was volunteering "dirt"...this was what people apparently wanted to know. But you are right whether its in good taste or not, the guys were able to put together a good record without him and that is the bottom line...

JOEinPHX

#27 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:39 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote:
Kajicat wrote:
Jasper wrote:I bet he'd think this thread is dumb. :nod: :noclue:
I don't give a fuck what Eric thinks about this thread - I'm asking ANR members to speculate what Eric's reaction will be to the sound of this album. :wink:

imail724 wrote:Well I think if Eric had just stuck around, that would mean giving in to Perry's demands and not being allowed to put his input into the record if Perry didn't like it. In which case, they might as well just have had Chaney on bass.
Not necessarily. We all know Dave was in the studio the most during the TGEA sessions and had a lot of control over how the album sounded musically. Some fans are even saying this is "Dave's album". Perry put faith in Dave to take care of the music, while he took care of the lyrics and vocal melodies. I think if Eric actually decided to stick with the band a bit longer it could have been Eric and Dave in the studio taking care of the music and Perry just being Perry (focusing on lyrics/emailing them the vocal tracks or whatever).
Don't tease us like that!
It's no more a tease than the fact that the original lineup of Jane's Addiction was in Trent's studio and nothing came of it.

That will haunt me for the rest of my life.

Pillar Girl

#28 Post by Pillar Girl » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:43 pm

well i didnt have high hopes before i heard this record, and now im pretty impressed after a few listens, sure it would have been
nice too have Eric on bass, but waiting 8 years for another release by these guys, i'll take 3/4 for any sort of decent new music,
going to be interesting how some of these songs are played live, i sorta cringe when i hear Irresistible Force performed live,
lets hope for better days with these new songs...

~Pilla

Warped

#29 Post by Warped » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:40 pm

He left. His decision. Of course it is a missed opportunity but it is god damm over.

Other than that i believe he'll like it way more than Strays because if not he would be an idiot which of course he is not.

AdmitI

#30 Post by AdmitI » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:59 pm

Eric who????

Jasper

#31 Post by Jasper » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:08 am

AdmitI wrote:Eric who????
Sir, I'm going to need to see your ANR license and registration. :waits:

AdmitI

#32 Post by AdmitI » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:18 am

You have it already.... just pull it out of your arse..

Jasper

#33 Post by Jasper » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:20 am

AdmitI wrote:You have it already.... just pull it out of your arse..
If that's where you're keeping it, you're going to have to get it yourself. :waits:

AdmitI

#34 Post by AdmitI » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:25 am

Jasper wrote:
If that's where you're keeping it, you're going to have to get it yourself. :waits:
No way I'm I going there after what your girl friend told me about what you were doing with her pink dildo and that pickle....

Jasper

#35 Post by Jasper » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:30 am

AdmitI wrote:
Jasper wrote:
No way I'm I going there after what your girl friend told me about what you were doing with her pink dildo and that pickle....
She never could keep a secret. :no:

AdmitI

#36 Post by AdmitI » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:48 am

Jasper wrote:
AdmitI wrote:
Jasper wrote:
She never could keep a secret. :no:
LOL... you're a good sport man....sorry for giving you shit. I'm up late drinking, smoking weed, cigs and listening to TGEA...

Pandemonium

#37 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:19 am

Pillar Girl wrote: weather he chose to be silent was his choice, and he had every right to speak out, but again, it was just bad taste, i never saw
anything with Perry, Dave or Steven going that route about other band members publicly

(snip)
Are you forgetting Perry writing yet another butthurt song about Eric called "End To The Lies?" Frankly, I'd rather the band members former and current whine about their grievances with each other on a fan site or in the press than write awful third grade level lyrics for songs about that subject.

Romeo

#38 Post by Romeo » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:58 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Pillar Girl wrote: weather he chose to be silent was his choice, and he had every right to speak out, but again, it was just bad taste, i never saw
anything with Perry, Dave or Steven going that route about other band members publicly

(snip)
Are you forgetting Perry writing yet another butthurt song about Eric called "End To The Lies?" Frankly, I'd rather the band members former and current whine about their grievances with each other on a fan site or in the press than write awful third grade level lyrics for songs about that subject.
:nod:

tcrock

#39 Post by tcrock » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:49 pm

I'd rather hear the gripes in a song that's open for interpretation and is meant to express one's emotions through the song. you can all speculate as to whether or not it's about Eric.....most of us who obsessively follow the band know it is.........but the vast majority have no idea. Eric miscalculated badly..that's what it comes down to. He catered to a cynical group of fans and their want and need of the dirt...and created an even wider divide....he reached out to what he thought was the core of the janes audience, when in fact he got the support of a group that was already predisposed to think a certain way on the subject, preaching to the choir so to speak.......and potentially committed career suicide in the process. Sonny asked leading questions and Eric took the bait. I watched and was interested, but in the end it all sounded like sour grapes to me.....i lost repect for him, becasue as others had mentioned, he had managed to take the high road for a long time which only helped the image i had of him as a guy with a high moral code and a lot of integrity.....only to eventually choose the lowest in the end. If he's smart, he won't answer anyone's questions about TGEA. I'm sure he would like everyone to believe he doesn't give a shit about it......I'm sure he does.

Jasper

#40 Post by Jasper » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:02 pm

tcrock wrote:I'd rather hear the gripes in a song that's open for interpretation and is meant to express one's emotions through the song. you can all speculate as to whether or not it's about Eric.....most of us who obsessively follow the band know it is.........but the vast majority have no idea. Eric miscalculated badly..that's what it comes down to. He catered to a cynical group of fans and their want and need of the dirt...and created an even wider divide....he reached out to what he thought was the core of the janes audience, when in fact he got the support of a group that was already predisposed to think a certain way on the subject, preaching to the choir so to speak.......and potentially committed career suicide in the process. Sonny asked leading questions and Eric took the bait. I watched and was interested, but in the end it all sounded like sour grapes to me.....i lost repect for him, becasue as others had mentioned, he had managed to take the high road for a long time which only helped the image i had of him as a guy with a high moral code and a lot of integrity.....only to eventually choose the lowest in the end. If he's smart, he won't answer anyone's questions about TGEA. I'm sure he would like everyone to believe he doesn't give a shit about it......I'm sure he does.
Not to be rude here, I really don't want to be, but please stfu about the subject. You're spouting so much bullshit here that it would take an hour to address all of it.
:bored:

Pandemonium

#41 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:11 pm

tcrock wrote:I'd rather hear the gripes in a song that's open for interpretation and is meant to express one's emotions through the song. you can all speculate as to whether or not it's about Eric.....most of us who obsessively follow the band know it is.........but the vast majority have no idea. Eric miscalculated badly..that's what it comes down to. He catered to a cynical group of fans and their want and need of the dirt...and created an even wider divide....he reached out to what he thought was the core of the janes audience, when in fact he got the support of a group that was already predisposed to think a certain way on the subject, preaching to the choir so to speak.......and potentially committed career suicide in the process. Sonny asked leading questions and Eric took the bait. I watched and was interested, but in the end it all sounded like sour grapes to me.....i lost repect for him, becasue as others had mentioned, he had managed to take the high road for a long time which only helped the image i had of him as a guy with a high moral code and a lot of integrity.....only to eventually choose the lowest in the end. If he's smart, he won't answer anyone's questions about TGEA. I'm sure he would like everyone to believe he doesn't give a shit about it......I'm sure he does.
I don't even know where to start with this idiocy.

Kajicat

#42 Post by Kajicat » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:16 pm

I agree with you. Well put. :thumb:

Don't mind Jasper, he's a dick.

Artemis

#43 Post by Artemis » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:18 pm

@Pandemonium Why is it idiocy? i agree with a lot of what what he's posted.

do you and jasper have some insider information or something?

creep
Site Admin

#44 Post by creep » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:21 pm

i told you this big lovefest here will be short lived.

Artemis

#45 Post by Artemis » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:25 pm

creep wrote:i told you this big lovefest here will be short lived.
:lol: hey, i am not trying to start anything.i just don't get the repsonse to tcrock. there is nothing wrong with what he wrote... he's sharing his view on how he sees things.

Jasper

#46 Post by Jasper » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:28 pm

Kajicat wrote:
I agree with you. Well put. :thumb:

Don't mind Jasper, he's a dick.
Don't mind kajicat - he's a mindless, fawning sycophant.

To partially address this bullshit, Perry talked shit about Eric as soon as he quit. Perry tweeted negative shit about him, and said he'd write some song called "The Great Escape Artist" or some shit. Perry then said in an interview that they "got rid of" Eric, making it sound like they kicked him out. There were a lot more insults, some tweets coming from Etty - thinly veiled things about bassists and such.

If you'll recall, Eric is the one who quit the original Jane's in the first place, followed by Dave, but all that time and for years afterwards, Perry told every interviewer that he decided to break up the band, giving reasons like he didn't want them to get too commercial, or didn't want to do a single project for more than five years, which was all bullshit of the highest order.

Eric wanted the devoted fans to know what had happened this time. People were hurt when he left, even though the band was a pale shadow of its former self. EA cares about the fans and he knows damned well that the people at xiola were actually the most invested in the band doing great work, and that we held them to a high standard of artistic integrity - a standard that they should have been meeting when they instead went after the almighty dollar w/ Strays, and gave a lot of half-ass performances. Eric was in agreement with the basic sentiments about the reunited band being lame and not experimenting or living up to their good reputation, and that's why he talked to xiola. This time around he thought the fans deserved an explanation for their being disappointed by lame, static sets with no deep cuts, and then their hearts being yanked out for a second time. He knew Perry wouldn't hesitate to revise history, so he set things straight as he saw them. Nobody led him. Sonny asked questions that WE wanted answers to. He was asking OUR questions, then he completely got out of Eric's way and let EA say what he wanted. I believe EA was the one who suggested the interview in the first place.

As for EA committing "career suicide," how do you figure? He was done with JA. He has his own record deal and has plenty of musician friends. He's following his own muse and feeling just dandy.

Just for the record, I'm not even taking sides here. I wish EA and PF equal happiness and success, as well as Perk, Dave, and anyone else who's contributed to JA. They've all enriched my music-listening life.

creep
Site Admin

#47 Post by creep » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:29 pm

eric has always been somewhat untouchable for some reason. if anyone says anything negative about him you are usually met with a "fuck you". pete seems to be in that untouchable group too.

i don't agree with what tcrock said but i'm not going to get bent out of shape about it.

Pandemonium

#48 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:34 pm

Jasper wrote: To partially address this bullshit, Perry talked shit about Eric as soon as he quit. Perry tweeted negative shit about him, and said he'd write some song called "The Great Escape Artist" or some shit. Perry then said in an interview that they "got rid of" Eric, making it sound like they kicked him out. There were a lot more insults, some tweets coming from Etty - thinly veiled things about bassists and such.

If you'll recall, Eric is the one who quit the original Jane's in the first place, followed by Dave, but all that time and for years afterwards, Perry told every interviewer that he decided to break up the band, giving reasons like he didn't want them to get too commercial, or didn't want to do a single project for more than five years, which was all bullshit of the highest order.

Eric wanted the devoted fans to know what had happened this time. People were hurt when he left, even though the band was a pale shadow of its former self. EA cares about the fans and he knows damned well that the people at xiola were actually the most invested in the band doing great work, and that we held them to a high standard of artistic integrity - a standard that they should have been meeting when they instead went after the almighty dollar w/ Strays, and gave a lot of half-ass performances. Eric was in agreement with the basic sentiments about the reunited band being lame and not experimenting or living up to their good reputation, and that's why he talked to xiola. This time around he thought the fans deserved an explanation for their being disappointed by lame, static sets with no deep cuts, and then their hearts being yanked out for a second time. He knew Perry wouldn't hesitate to revise history, so he set things straight as he saw them. Nobody led him. Sonny asked questions that WE wanted answers to. He was asking OUR questions, then he completely got out of Eric's way and let EA say what he wanted. I believe EA was the one who suggested the interview in the first place.

As for EA committing "career suicide," how do you figure? He was done with JA. He has his own record deal and has plenty of musician friends. He's following his own muse and feeling just dandy.
Well said.

Kajicat

#49 Post by Kajicat » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:42 pm

creep wrote:eric has always been somewhat untouchable for some reason. if anyone says anything negative about him you are usually met with a "fuck you". pete seems to be in that untouchable group too.

i don't agree with what tcrock said but i'm not going to get bent out of shape about it.
THANK YOU. That's how it has been for a long time around Xiola.org and of course, will continue to be around here. If anyone says anything that might put Eric in a bad light for once, instead of Perry (which happens all day everyday), people's worlds seem to turn upside down (especially Jasper and Romeo).

Talking shit about Perry is fine, and to be commended on here...but Eric? Oh no you don't! It's stupid. tcrock gave his view and people bit his fucking head off for it. :jasper:

BTW Jasper I have a bachelors in psychology and I minored in philosophy...so I'm not as mindless as you may think.
However, you're still a dick. :essence:

crater

#50 Post by crater » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:56 pm

creep wrote:eric has always been somewhat untouchable for some reason. if anyone says anything negative about him you are usually met with a "fuck you".
The majority of people since the very first days of 1% have talked about how terrible his voice is. Eric is and was my second favorite member of Jane's and I love Decon, PB and his solo work, but I hated that he worked with Alanis and Garbage. I still cringe at the thought of that. If he put out some horrendous dance music I'd blast him for it and hate it, just the same as I've done with Perry.

I think one reason there hasn't been as many negative posts about Eric over the years is because Eric just hasn't done as much embarrassing shit as Perry, Dave and Stephen. If he had it would have been talked about and he would have rightfully gotten shit on for it.