CBGB

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
JOEinPHX

Re: CBGB

#51 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:48 pm

Romeo wrote:My friends office is unfortunately in Times Square. She has to deal with it daily. I would feel bad for her but she makes a good salary ;-)
Like... a legitimate good salary where she can own her own home?

Or... she makes a New York salary where she makes a million dollars a year but still lives in 400 sq feet of cockroach-infested squalor?

farrellgirl99

#52 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:48 pm

i decided im gonna skip this tomorrow. im gonna go pick a pumpkin upstate instead :aoa:

i think any enjoyment janes could muster in me will be overshadowed by some fuckin tourist yokel standing next to me and talking through the show, or something similarly unpleasant. if they had done this somewhere else i probably would have gone, but i just cant deal with the times square element on a holiday weekend.

but have fun whoevers going. ill look forward to hearing about it

blackula

#53 Post by blackula » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:13 pm

farrellgirl99 wrote:i decided im gonna skip this tomorrow. im gonna go pick a pumpkin upstate instead :aoa:

i think any enjoyment janes could muster in me will be overshadowed by some fuckin tourist yokel standing next to me and talking through the show, or something similarly unpleasant. if they had done this somewhere else i probably would have gone, but i just cant deal with the times square element on a holiday weekend.

but have fun whoevers going. ill look forward to hearing about it
I'm feeling the same way, had this been a club show I'd gladly pay to go see it. I have work Monday morning, it's not worth going to Times Square for.

I hope they are awesome and that anyone who does go has a great time.

Romeo

#54 Post by Romeo » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:10 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Romeo wrote:My friends office is unfortunately in Times Square. She has to deal with it daily. I would ad for her but she makes a good salary ;-)
Like... a legitimate good salary where she can own her own home?

Or... she makes a New York salary where she makes a million dollars a year but still lives in 400 sq feet of cockroach-infested squalor?
Like good enough to afford 2 big vacations a year. Last year was Morocco and Thailand. This year was Berlin and a future trip to Bali
And afford NYC rent. :bored:

bman

#55 Post by bman » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:54 am

You guys should go. The stage is on 47th and Bway I think. Just hop right under ground afterwords. It's an hour set! You'll survive.

So I went last night. I got to the gallery/warehouse thing at 8:30. There was a photo exhibit opening on the 2nd floor. Lots of CBGB band photos from the past. Devo, Blondie, Ramones etc.. pretty cool. At 9:15 people had to take an elevator up to the 4th floor. It was a gallery space with a small stage area. At 10:30 Matt Pinfield finally gets on stage and talk about Janes for a bit and shows the Video that they played in LA. Bad sound and you could barely hear it. Then for what ever reason, two guys from Devo get on stage and do some really weird comedy routine thing and introduce Janes. Janes comes out and gets the award and Perry talked for a couple of minutes. He was funny as usual talking about the Diamond District nearby and how he'd deal with all those Yentas as a kid. A few minutes go by and they come back for Aint no Right and Whores! Perk had a tiny Kit. It seems like it was borrowed equipment on the fly. No echo at all. It was cool to hear the songs totally raw like that. I was hoping for Whores and I got it so I was happy.

Romeo

#56 Post by Romeo » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:34 pm

Obviously not there
Obviously not upset

I would have gone to the thing last night but I spent the entire day trying to get a squirrel out of my house. No, I'm not joking

bman

#57 Post by bman » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:36 pm

I'm in VIP area. Fenced off area right in front of Navarros side. Show at 615

kv

#58 Post by kv » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:27 pm

Lol of course you are cap'n obvious

Have a blast

bman

#59 Post by bman » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:40 pm

Guys you missed one heck of a show! This is a memorable one! Much better than Baltimore. Vip area was right up front so that was cool. Times Square filled up pretty good. Sidewalks were all full. Up the Beach, Ocean Size and Had a Dad were fucking awesome. The sound was so good and pretty loud. Perry's voice was turned up pretty high in the mix too. He sounded awesome on those 3 songs. He was screaming pretty hard too. So amazing to look around at Times Square and hear Ocean Size filling up the streets. Ted starts and Perry is down in the front crowd a bit. Smoking a joint from the crowd. Cameras everywhere. He starts singing Ted in the audience and proceeds to crowd surf a bit. The second verse is song from his back while being brought back to the stage from the crowd. Perry's kind of scary on this song. At this point I wonder he's going be able to make it through or be able to sing later in the set. Shower is good, Summertime, Mountain, and Idiots all good. Jane Says is a little weak. As many have pointed out Perry's voice just isn't that great on Jane Says anymore. Especially after belting out the earlier numbers. Because Ted and Summertime had longer intros it's now like 7:25. The show was supposed to end at 7:30. So they drop Thank You Boys and Pigs unfortunately. They go right into Stop with the Suspension Chicks. The crowd was kind of blown away by the hanging girls. Stop is a little sloppy and Perry starts the Gimme That part. He then breaks it off into a pretty long rant. At this point, I was hoping he'd come back and just finish the song b/c he starts talking about getting his dick sucked etc! The band kind of didn't know what to do. He also thought it was Friday night b/c during this rant he mentioned twice how we should do this every Friday night or something! He finally finished the song. Now here's where it get even wackier. Perry turns around and says he wants to do 3 days! The crowd is chanting for 1 more and Perry is insisting on doing 3 Days! The union guy kind of gave him a cut it sign.. Dave, Perk, and Chris all get to their instruments though and are about ready to play but the union manager kept saying no! Etty finally had to grab Perry and say they are going to cut your mic, it's a union thing! They take a bow and leave! It was fun. They sounded good. Perry put on a real good show and got a bit crazy. His voice was best on the first 3 songs.

Stop:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75WMwsI7Be4

Here's the Aint no Right from Saturday night. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYp8FijSFKk

JOEinPHX

#60 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:07 pm

What a shocker, they found a reason to drop songs.

When a band who only plays 11 songs starts trying to find ways to only play 8, it's time to hang it up.

Also very surprising that Bman loved it.

tubro

#61 Post by tubro » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:41 pm

I didn't see precisely the same show that our resident jane's lover did, but for sure it was a terrific event and one that i'm glad i decided, pretty much at the last minute, not to miss. just simply perfect weather and the time square backdrop was a once in a lifetime visual prop.

my day started at 8 am in the met life stadium parking lot for male ritual behavior, in this case BBQing before a football game. great tailgate - grilled breakfast station with pancakes, biscuits and gravy, eggs, etc. among the menu items were collosal shrimp cocktail, a chilled shrimp pepper and cucomber salad, lamb chops, 3 in thick ribeyes cooked black and blue, two day smoked chicken thighs, some craft beers and a really tasty bottle of rye from the distillery in south carolina owned by one of our tailgaters. plus homemade ice cream and other nice desserts. i was sort of hoping that if the jets were going to lose, they'd do it on the early side so i could leave in time to see devo. they complied; i left mid third period and got to times square about a half hour before devo hit.

place wasn't very crowded. we hung back near the soundboard and watched devo kill it as they always do. i was fearing that the crowd was going to be touristy and not tuned in, when the booji boy routine fell very flat. devo got done and some EDM schmuck took the stage. there was an hour until jane's was on. so we retired to jamba juice right next to bman's vip area. hung there during most of the EDM set. by the time we went back out it had gotten quite packed. and the crowd down front was totally sufficiently a rock and roll and jane's crowd. most of the tourists had probably moved back or left. good crowd. packed. nice. we weaseled our way to the rail in the back of the vip. perfect view 15 feet or so in front of dave. the stage was very small - sort of the size of a club stage rather than a festival stage. so we were house left in front of dave and also had the PA stacks in front of us. it was loud and clear and really great sounding throughout.

scene was good too. no cops or hassles.

jane's wasn't bad but didn't play some amazing great show. far from it. i've said it so many times and it was true again today. they're a brand with an act and while it frustrates their biggest fans (read: us), it playes well to people looking to rock with a polished and seasoned rock star act. they all played their parts and i really believe that it's hard to really knock them for what they do or how they do it, except if you're a huge and/or former huge fan and have this professional rock act compared in your mind with something magical and long gone. dave played well. actually seemed pretty focused on the task at hand. very little messing around with the girls on stage or in front. his solos wailed. perkins was fierce. cheney was really loud in the mix and sounded good but he's a bit of a cyborg up there at this point. just a pro doing his job. perry did a long band intro of perkins and especially dave and didn't mention chris. he's a robot. sounded good though.

nothing stood out, good or bad, for me, except ted, which was really out there with perry singing while crowd surfing. perry's rants were drunken an bizarre and the band tired of it and started songs to shut him up a few times. he celebrated succot, the jewish holiday of the week, yelling happy succot mother fuckers (in hebrew) and sort of whining about how much 'jews love you'. it was odd. he did a bit of a rant about the stock ticker at the top of one of the billboards in times square. bitched about how moneyed people don't give a fuck about anyone and how we should change the fucking world or some shit. then at the end that 'my wife makes me eat her pussy' and 'i love getting my dick sucked' rant that went on for a while and was a bit uncomfortably odd. he did say that like jews celebrating the sabbath we should all take over times square on fridays just like today, which in perry's world was indeed a friday. and he did get his mic turned off after pulling that 'let's play 3 days' thing and getting the band re-strapped on to their guitars only to have the stage manager dude tell him no way, to which perry seemed to accuse deblasio of being responsible. a drunk next to me shouted that we should vote him out in november, showing at once an immense stupidity and a fine sense of when election day is. perry avoided those stupid speeches about the next song. fucking funniest part, even funnier than the missed day of the week, was before summertime. he had just finished with one of the bizarre drunken crack head raps and then turned to the band and shouted something like 'rock it' and they went into summertime and he said something like 'oh a slow one'. funny. tuned out and fucked up. but not so much in a bad way. it was perry in times square and that counts for something.

perry's voice was shot from beach and ocean size on. in the past since his voice has been shot i've been impressed at times that he plays thru it like an injured athlete. today he resorted to shouting at times and while that's not at all his style it's certainly a tried and tested punk rock vocal style and i really didn't mind it. too bad he doesn't take care of his instrument though.

one of the real striking things about the show to me was that there's no 'nothing's shocking in its entirety' vibe at all. besides shower, they play all this stuff all the time. they do the same tired version of jane says with the intro and the drum track. it's just another show, only without ANR and stealing and 3 days. as has been said here a lot, the RDLH shows next year will be more interesting by far. and then cutting it short (not really their fault, by the way - they only had an hour - they were on, on time and didn't dither around any more than usual - just ran out of time) w/o thank you boys and pigs made it all the more just a regular show rather than a NS show.

this event could have sucked and it didn't. they're not surprising anyone - that's no surprise. they're a rock star band that can bring it. times square was fucking amazing, and believe me i've never said those words. but i wasn't hard to get in or out or get around and it looked great.

and it was free.

by the way, on 47th st between 7th and 8th just after devo's set, where they had some trailers and tents for dressing rooms, we heard the jane's trio jamming. some randy rhodes shit from dave that just killed followed by an instrumental (get this) 'birthday' by the beatles.

bman

#62 Post by bman » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:55 am

I agree with pretty much everything you said. Except I think his voice sounded good through Had a Dad. Up the Beach and Ocean Size were incredible. They should do an Electric Jane says the way Satellite Party did it! No joke. This Jane Says is so boring. It wasn't my favorite Janes show. I've seen better. But this one was fucking rad as hell for the reasons that Tubro mentioned. It was a Jane show with a wacky Perry rocking out in the middle of Times Square on a perfect Fall day. And the Fact that Perry got pretty ranty and loopy made it all better. That was a memorable Janes show. I think I saw you Tubro. Did you have a Jets hat on standing at the back of the vip area? By the way, this is how good Janes was. They made me completely forget how bad the Jets are. :rockon:

Mountain Song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJQUI8UTcBk

Deblasio rant:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebBiKp48jOM

Pre Summertime Rolls Rant:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLGUyAGr1z8
Last edited by bman on Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

SR

#63 Post by SR » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:08 am

Sounds a lot like LA, where every one was tight and DN paid close attention, resembling something close to actual concern and care to the music. LA had no time restrictions and well, let's face it, all of their friends and family are here. Thank you Boys was the only omission, which is an odd one. I'd actually like to know why. Did aPF use the echo at all? He did here and it did help with his atrocious voice.

SR

#64 Post by SR » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:13 am

:lolol: On the MS vid....DN never met a camera he didn't want to fuck

farrellgirl99

#65 Post by farrellgirl99 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:12 am

okay im glad i didnt go :lol:

how the fuck do you play a NS show and omit pigs???

edit: it just bothers me so much that they would say theyre doing an album in its entirety and then omit two songs so they can do ANR or some other bullshit from another album because thats a song more ppl know. AGH. this band is the worst

bman

#66 Post by bman » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:57 am

Aint no Right was from Saturday night. Sunday's show was a LOT of fun. Perry's long rants during Ted and Summertime is what caused the omission of Pigs. Blame CBGB and the Union. They were slotted from 6:30 - 7:30. They should have had at least 85 minutes. I would have rather had Pigs than Stop. Or Whores. I guess the suspension girls wouldn't look right during Pigs :noclue:

Romeo

#67 Post by Romeo » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:45 pm

Great Gothamist article on how much of an ass Perry was. When I'm on my desktop I'll link it.
Do you think the bands management or the organizers want to be fined THOUSANDS of dollars. Who the hell do you think set up the stage and had to rip it down? IATSE local 1 and they make A LOT of money. OT is a hella lot.
But Perry in his burnt mind blamed Deblasio :lolol:

farrellgirl99

#68 Post by farrellgirl99 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:14 pm

Romeo wrote:Great Gothamist article on how much of an ass Perry was. When I'm on my desktop I'll link it.
Do you think the bands management or the organizers want to be fined THOUSANDS of dollars. Who the hell do you think set up the stage and had to rip it down? IATSE local 1 and they make A LOT of money. OT is a hella lot.
But Perry in his burnt mind blamed Deblasio :lolol:
Here's the article, thanks for alerting me to it. It's pretty funny.
"Mayor What's-His-Name!" Farrell screamed, blaming the curfew on NYC's mayor. "Bring that motherfucking mayor out! Let him tell it to my face I can't do 'Three Days.'" As you can see in the above video, Farrell tried to rally the band to play past curfew, but his microphone was cut and the music died before it started. To be fair, "Three Days" is over ten minutes long, and Times Square shuts down at 7:30 p.m. sharp every night.

It's unclear what Farrell was saying after his mic was cut off, but it was probably something about how one of de Blasio's advisors is too cozy with Al Sharpton and is dating someone whom the NY Post editors disapprove of. But de Blasio administration sources insist it wasn't the curfew, it's just that the mayor wanted Jane's to play "Trip Away" instead.

Ubiquitous NYC concert photographer Edwina Hay was at the show; she adds via email, "Perry had the weirdest fucking banter yesterday. He proposed shutting down Times Square every Friday for the sabbath so we could celebrate and eat challah bread (I WISH I WAS MAKING THIS UP). He did not know de Blasio's name (I think someone told him it was de Blasio and his response was, 'Never heard of him.') and went on a very pro fellatio rant and didn't exclude the women and essentially said that if he doesn't go down on his wife, she won't speak to him for two days. Apparently she came out and hit him." (Farrell's wife Etty Lau Farrell is a dancer who often performs with the band.)
The comments are fun too. My favorite:
He's a rock star? He looks like an aging interior designer.

chaos

#69 Post by chaos » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:25 pm

SR

#70 Post by SR » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:32 pm

The Farrell's will file within the year. :nod:

bman

#71 Post by bman » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:38 pm

Apparently they didn't know who Perry is bc Weird vulgar rants are par for the course.

bman

#72 Post by bman » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:43 pm

Romeo

#73 Post by Romeo » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:00 pm

bman wrote:Apparently they didn't know who Perry is bc Weird vulgar rants are par for the course.
From someone with wild dreds, high as a kite and wearing a corset, yes a vulgar rant was great

From a guy wearing a 3 piece suit, a reguvinated face and caps so white they would glow in black light....it's just weird

bman

#74 Post by bman » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:27 pm

Agreed! I was hoping he' end the rant asap and end the song! He was pretty amped up at that point. This is Etty telling him to cut by the way!

bman

#75 Post by bman » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:28 pm

Perry even made the BBC! Image