He'll Think it's Decent
61%
He'll Think it's Terrible
25%

Total votes: 28

Pandemonium

Re: What Will Eric Avery Think of TGEA?

#51 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:12 pm

crater wrote:I think one reason there hasn't been as many negative posts about Eric over the years is because Eric just hasn't done as much embarrassing shit as Perry, Dave and Stephen. If he had it would have been talked about and he would have rightfully gotten shit on for it.
I still think his audition for Metallica was cringe-inducing.

JOEinPHX

#52 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:22 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
crater wrote:I think one reason there hasn't been as many negative posts about Eric over the years is because Eric just hasn't done as much embarrassing shit as Perry, Dave and Stephen. If he had it would have been talked about and he would have rightfully gotten shit on for it.
It's Metallica though.

Danny Lohner (from NIN) also tried out. I don't think most of the guys who tried out were into that type of music, they just did it because it's the chance to spend 20 minutes jamming Metallica WITH Metallica.

What musician in their right mind would pass that up?

Lou Reed even recorded an entire album with those guys.

ThenSheDid

#53 Post by ThenSheDid » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:50 pm

creep wrote:eric has always been somewhat untouchable for some reason. if anyone says anything negative about him you are usually met with a "fuck you". pete seems to be in that untouchable group too.

i don't agree with what tcrock said but i'm not going to get bent out of shape about it.
pete?...distefano?

ThenSheDid

#54 Post by ThenSheDid » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:07 pm

Well, for people who watched the whole interview...just put yourself in Eric's shoes. That whole thing would be AWKWARD. Finding out that perry was nowhere near where he was before? please. When Eric left the first time he didn't talk shit at all. When he left the reunion there was no way of him being able to get out without getting thousands of questions. I think he expected the reunion to be fun. Most reunions are always tainted but the NINJA tour was just plain bad and I think Eric was kind of disappointed over it. TGEA is alright but I mean...Jane's 1.0 is just legendary. TGEA will not live on, the only people that are going to buy this record are some Jane's fans. This album had maybe 4-5 tracks that are good, which is a lot more than I expected especially after hearing Eric's interview. But I do believe that interview pushed TGEA along quite a bit. In fact, that title is based off of him and so is ETTL and so is I'll Hit You Back. It's a childish game of gossip. Sorry if my thoughts are so fragmented, I'm on Xanax.

Pandemonium

#55 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:13 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:It's Metallica though.

Danny Lohner (from NIN) also tried out. I don't think most of the guys who tried out were into that type of music, they just did it because it's the chance to spend 20 minutes jamming Metallica WITH Metallica.

And it seems to be incredibly awful.

ThenSheDid

#56 Post by ThenSheDid » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:13 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:
It's Metallica though.

It's about the $$$
Les Claypool even tried out and he didn't know the song he was auditioning. It's a chance to send your great grand kids to college.

Jasper

#57 Post by Jasper » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:31 pm

ThenSheDid wrote:In fact, that title is based off of him and so is ETTL and so is I'll Hit You Back. It's a childish game of gossip. Sorry if my thoughts are so fragmented, I'm on Xanax.
Well, you're right on the first two, but according to Perry, "I'll Hit You Back" is about a situation with his physically abusive stepmother.

JOEinPHX

#58 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:27 pm

Jasper wrote:
ThenSheDid wrote:In fact, that title is based off of him and so is ETTL and so is I'll Hit You Back. It's a childish game of gossip. Sorry if my thoughts are so fragmented, I'm on Xanax.
Well, you're right on the first two, but according to Perry, "I'll Hit You Back" is about a situation with his physically abusive stepmother.
+1

Perry gave the whole story of I'll Hit You Back on the Morello interview

tubro

#59 Post by tubro » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:59 pm

this started out as a fairly irrelevant but somewhat intriguing question and turned into a fresh and interesting debate covering ground never before seen here. (hahaha)

anyway, remember this??

so sgt. pepper took you by surprise
you better see right through that mother's eyes
those freaks was right when they said you was you was dead
the one mistake you made wasin your head

how do you sleep?
ah how do you sleep at night?

you live with straights who tell you you was king
jump when your mamma tell you anything
the only thing you done was yesterday
and since you've gone it's just another day

how do you sleep?

a pretty face may last a yearor two
but pretty soon they'll see what you can do
the sound you make is muzak to my ears
you must have learned something all those years

how do you sleep?

john and paul....slightly bigger than eric and perry, but hey, they wrote songs about each other too.

as to the first question, i do believe that while all of these guys (except perkins) have said and done some things that maybe they sort of slightly regret, at least insofar as there's something to be said for not airing dirty laundry in public, and i also believe that perry and eric have some pretty deeply rooted anger/venom/hate(?) for each other. but the truth is that they're all musicians in a the l.a. music community with a lot of common friends and, even more, a lot of common history that, as they all said in '09, binds them forever. and as such, while he may not admit it or he may make a snarky KROQ type of comment (and under the circumstances, so what?), my guess is that Eric certainly listens to it, probably shares a private chat or text with his old pals dave and steve, hears some things that he realizes are good and kindred with the people he's made his best music with and others he doesn't like as much. i can't begin to guess if he wishes it had worked out in 09. i do.

guysmiley

#60 Post by guysmiley » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:53 am

He would think you're all retards. thanks bye.

Pandemonium

#61 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:56 pm

tubro wrote:john and paul....slightly bigger than eric and perry, but hey, they wrote songs about each other too.
Yeah, but the level of songwriting and musical craft is infinitely higher in Lennons' and many other artists work who've indulged in snarky personal attacks in their music.