The future of Eric Avery with Jane's Addiction

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Larry B.

Re: The future of Eric Avery with Jane's Addiction

#21 Post by Larry B. » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:28 pm

Rollins' spoken word is just an incredibly stupid bunch of shit. I truly can't believe people actually pay for that.

JOEinPHX

#22 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:29 pm

Larry B. wrote:Rollins' spoken word is just an incredibly stupid bunch of shit. I truly can't believe people actually pay for that.
It's hilarious. and thought-provoking.

You suck.

Juana

#23 Post by Juana » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:54 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:If anyone was wondering...

YES, i am gayer for Rollins than i am for Navarro. :lolol:
Having met Henry a few times I know all that stuff and respect the guy a lot. He's a very down to earth person and just all around nice and interesting person.

And Larry, his spoken word is great, maybe some of it you don't like but when he talks about certain things he's pretty awesome. I don't like all of it but a lot of it is really well thought out and interesting. At least to me.

JOEinPHX

#24 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:08 pm

Juana wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:If anyone was wondering...

YES, i am gayer for Rollins than i am for Navarro. :lolol:
Having met Henry a few times I know all that stuff and respect the guy a lot. He's a very down to earth person and just all around nice and interesting person.

And Larry, his spoken word is great, maybe some of it you don't like but when he talks about certain things he's pretty awesome. I don't like all of it but a lot of it is really well thought out and interesting. At least to me.
Just to chime in on the Spoken word thing...

Everything Pre-George W. Bush was amazing.

for a few years he got a little too political and war-minded with what he talked about and it started getting a little stale just because of that. He wasn't saying anything that any other comedian wasn't saying as well.

He's been better the last few years and even says "i won't even get into Bush, because you already know what i will say..."

Mescal

#25 Post by Mescal » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:13 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
Matz wrote:I think there comes a time in the not so distant future where especially Perry and Eric are too old to be in Jane's addiction, in like five years or so and I hope they both realize it then too. You can't play a song like Whores when you're 58 or something. Not in my book anyway. But I don't think they'll bury the hatchet in the first place anyway, so.
Perry is already too old to be singing these songs. Jane's was always a young man's game...about youth and rebellion. I'd love to find the exact quotes, but back around 1990-91 once it was announced that Jane's was going to break up, Perry said in an interview with Rolling Stone that he didn't ever want to be Mick Jagger's age and still singing "Mountain Song", etc. He basically said that Mick was going through the motions and didn't even know what he was singing anymore when The Stones performed songs like "Satisfaction".
Well he sure as hell was right then.

I listened to Nothing's Shocking again for the first time in months on my walkman (don't ask :)); and indeed the youth and rebellion is pouring out in the music and in his voice. He ain't got that voice anymore. As said here before a thousand times; they're a lounge band, not the band they used to be or represent.

The new album might have some good songs, but it won't be Jane's Addiction.

Larry B.

#26 Post by Larry B. » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:16 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Larry B. wrote:Rollins' spoken word is just an incredibly stupid bunch of shit. I truly can't believe people actually pay for that.

You suck.
You suck my thought-provoking balls.
Juana wrote: And Larry, his spoken word is great, maybe some of it you don't like but when he talks about certain things he's pretty awesome. I don't like all of it but a lot of it is really well thought out and interesting. At least to me.
I think his material is too local... you Americans are amused by different type of stuff, and Rollins' might just be too American for my particular taste. Basically, the guys a bunch of phrases that are supposed to sound cool and badass and the guy's personality is like "yeah, i'm very tough and badass and i'll kick your ass... but in reality i'm actually sweet and tender... but that's because i've been constantly kicked down by life... which is why i'm so tough and badass and I don't give a shit... but I actually do...", so it's pretty childish IMO.

Juana

#27 Post by Juana » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:29 pm

Larry B. wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:

You suck.
Juana wrote: And Larry, his spoken word is great, maybe some of it you don't like but when he talks about certain things he's pretty awesome. I don't like all of it but a lot of it is really well thought out and interesting. At least to me.
I think his material is too local... you Americans are amused by different type of stuff, and Rollins' might just be too American for my particular taste. Basically, the guys a bunch of phrases that are supposed to sound cool and badass and the guy's personality is like "yeah, i'm very tough and badass and i'll kick your ass... but in reality i'm actually sweet and tender... but that's because i've been constantly kicked down by life... which is why i'm so tough and badass and I don't give a shit... but I actually do...", so it's pretty childish IMO.
I can see that to an extent but he doesn't really act like a badass from what I have seen and read of him but I have also heard the other spectrum, but the times I met him it he was cool, but I could see how a lot of what he talks about only applies to Americans.

JOEinPHX

#28 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:33 pm

Are you talking about his Black Flag stories? Of course those are local. The band toured America exclusively.

And he doesn't really do the "i'm a badass" thing unless he is talking about the guys who tried to fuck with him back in the Black Flag days. He will own up to both kicking ass and getting his ass kicked.

But in the 20+ years he's been doing spoken word, the fight stories are really few and far between. In fact more often than not he will say "i'm not a tough guy" or make cracks about his own height and size.

And i think his best spoken word shows were the ones he filmed in England and Australia. So as far as being local... i don't understand because those people sure loved him.

JOEinPHX

#29 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:35 pm

Juana wrote:
Larry B. wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:

You suck.
I can see that to an extent but he doesn't really act like a badass from what I have seen and read of him but I have also heard the other spectrum, but the times I met him it he was cool, but I could see how a lot of what he talks about only applies to Americans.
90% of his stories in the last 15 years though have been about his world travels with the Rollins Band, on spoken word tours, and with the USO

So to call his show "local" is the furthest thing from the truth.

Juana

#30 Post by Juana » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:48 pm

I know that but what I was saying is Larry was saying he's just an "American thing" and I can see that to an extent. Some of his best stuff is about his travels to various places and I look forward to his stuff on FUNFUNFUN in a few months.

JOEinPHX

#31 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:57 pm

FUNFUNFUN?

Juana

#32 Post by Juana » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:08 pm

funfunfunfest.com

its a local festival here in Austin been going on for 6 years this year. Got all access from the good people that put it on and its always a blast. Have only been to 3 so far this year will be my 4th.

JOEinPHX

#33 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:33 pm

i was lucky enough to score tickets for his 50th Bday show in DC back in February.

Weird show but he's still got it.

Juana

#34 Post by Juana » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:41 pm

Awesome yeah looking forward to him and Reggie Watts as well as the punk comedy thing. Also looking forward to Slayer and whatnot.

Would be cool if Avery did something with some ATX bands and played FUNFUNFUN sometime.

Jasper

#35 Post by Jasper » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:51 am

Larry B. wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:

You suck.
You calling anyone childish is just too goddamn rich.

Juana

#36 Post by Juana » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:00 am

Live and let live Jasper, if anything over the years I have learned 67, presses buttons

cursed male

#37 Post by cursed male » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:59 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
Matz wrote:I think there comes a time in the not so distant future where especially Perry and Eric are too old to be in Jane's addiction, in like five years or so and I hope they both realize it then too. You can't play a song like Whores when you're 58 or something. Not in my book anyway. But I don't think they'll bury the hatchet in the first place anyway, so.
Perry is already too old to be singing these songs. Jane's was always a young man's game...about youth and rebellion. I'd love to find the exact quotes, but back around 1990-91 once it was announced that Jane's was going to break up, Perry said in an interview with Rolling Stone that he didn't ever want to be Mick Jagger's age and still singing "Mountain Song", etc. He basically said that Mick was going through the motions and didn't even know what he was singing anymore when The Stones performed songs like "Satisfaction".
I completely agree on Perry being too old already. JA should call it quits and for good. And on the question of Eric's and JA's future the answer is an obvious no. Eric will not repeat the mistake. Never. He's too smart for that.

Larry B.

#38 Post by Larry B. » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:19 am

Six7Six7 wrote:i was lucky enough to score tickets for his 50th Bday show in DC back in February.

Weird show but he's still got it.
You're like Bman, but for Rollins.

CaseyContrarian

#39 Post by CaseyContrarian » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:54 am

Isn't there a Rollins board we can take this fight to?

I just want to point out that Rollins was talking about things in the early 2000s that many in the punk community had gotten too complacent to say at a time when most Americans had unquestioningly accepted the spoon-fed jingoism of the then-current administration. The fact that Rollins would criticize American foreign policy while simultaneously going into war theaters to entertain the troops says a lot to me about his character.

Mescal

#40 Post by Mescal » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:15 am

Juana wrote:Awesome yeah looking forward to him and Reggie Watts as well as the punk comedy thing. Also looking forward to Slayer and whatnot.

Would be cool if Avery did something with some ATX bands and played FUNFUNFUN sometime.
Reggie Watts is mega funny!

Hokahey
Site Admin

#41 Post by Hokahey » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:30 am

I've seen Rollins spoken word twice over the last handful of years. Great shows. He knows his music if nothing else. I really enjoy his concert stories and reflections on the last 20 years or so of rock.

Tyler Durden

#42 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:23 am

I've seen Rollins numerous times and have had the pleasure of meeting him twice. He's not for everyone...but the guy keeps it real. End of discussion.

Pandemonium

#43 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:06 am

Larry B. wrote:I think his material is too local... you Americans are amused by different type of stuff, and Rollins' might just be too American for my particular taste. Basically, the guys a bunch of phrases that are supposed to sound cool and badass and the guy's personality is like "yeah, i'm very tough and badass and i'll kick your ass... but in reality i'm actually sweet and tender... but that's because i've been constantly kicked down by life... which is why i'm so tough and badass and I don't give a shit... but I actually do...", so it's pretty childish IMO.
Ahhh, admit it.... You don't like Henry because he rags on U2.

Tyler Durden

#44 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:58 am

Pandemonium wrote:
Larry B. wrote:I think his material is too local... you Americans are amused by different type of stuff, and Rollins' might just be too American for my particular taste. Basically, the guys a bunch of phrases that are supposed to sound cool and badass and the guy's personality is like "yeah, i'm very tough and badass and i'll kick your ass... but in reality i'm actually sweet and tender... but that's because i've been constantly kicked down by life... which is why i'm so tough and badass and I don't give a shit... but I actually do...", so it's pretty childish IMO.
Ahhh, admit it.... You don't like Henry because he rags on U2.

I get embarrassed for Rollins when he cuts up U2. He sounds like an ignorant jackass. Then again, I'm not into professional artists publicly dissing other professional artists; to me, it's totally lame. BTW, Rollins is the same guy who publicly ridiculed Jane's and Perry in 1990. A year later, he was worshipping Jane's, kissing Perry's ass, and thanking him for launching his career into the big leagues.

The worst is when Rollins criticized U2 for taking a year to make Achtung Baby. He said that anyone who takes a year to make an album is an idiot. Meanwhile, Achtung Baby is one of the best albums ever made, period. I think it's the best album of the 90s (over Nevermind, OK Computer, Grace, etc...all great albums, mind you)...and I'd rather listen to it on a deserted island than Nothing's Shocking or Ritual. :nod:

And as for bagging on Edge, this is one of the best guitar solos ever:

Tyler Durden

#45 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:17 am

An incredible performance by U2 and another amazing solo by Edge. I seriously feel sorry for people that hate U2. :nod: