The future of Eric Avery with Jane's Addiction

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Tyler Durden

The future of Eric Avery with Jane's Addiction

#1 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:11 am

Let me preface this by saying, there was a time when I never would have imagined in my wildest dreams that Eric would reunite with Jane's for a one off show, let alone a full fledged tour. And to add to that, I really didn't think Perry would ever talk to Dave and Stephen again after the Strays fallout and The Panic Channel, let alone completely resurrect Jane's for a reunion tour and then go on to record new material with them. I guess what I am getting at is, never say "never" with this band.

So that being said, do you think Eric and Perry will ever bury the hatchet again and perform live (again)...say, if/when they are inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame or perhaps for some other unforeseen event/reason?

Obviously, it appears to be a totally unlikely event, but you never know. Just curious to hear people's thoughts.

P.S. What I find interesting is that Eric's interview with Sonny evidently inspired Perry to write the lyrics "End To The Lies", yet there was never anything like that directed at Dave and Stephen following the formation of The Panic Channel. Who's "in love" with who again, Perry?

Matz

Re: The future of Eric Avery with Jane's Addiction

#2 Post by Matz » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:29 am

I think there comes a time in the not so distant future where especially Perry and Eric are too old to be in Jane's addiction, in like five years or so and I hope they both realize it then too. You can't play a song like Whores when you're 58 or something. Not in my book anyway. But I don't think they'll bury the hatchet in the first place anyway, so.

Tyler Durden

#3 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:35 am

Matz wrote:I think there comes a time in the not so distant future where especially Perry and Eric are too old to be in Jane's addiction, in like five years or so and I hope they both realize it then too. You can't play a song like Whores when you're 58 or something. Not in my book anyway. But I don't think they'll bury the hatchet in the first place anyway, so.
Perry is already too old to be singing these songs. Jane's was always a young man's game...about youth and rebellion. I'd love to find the exact quotes, but back around 1990-91 once it was announced that Jane's was going to break up, Perry said in an interview with Rolling Stone that he didn't ever want to be Mick Jagger's age and still singing "Mountain Song", etc. He basically said that Mick was going through the motions and didn't even know what he was singing anymore when The Stones performed songs like "Satisfaction".

JOEinPHX

#4 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:17 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
Matz wrote:I think there comes a time in the not so distant future where especially Perry and Eric are too old to be in Jane's addiction, in like five years or so and I hope they both realize it then too. You can't play a song like Whores when you're 58 or something. Not in my book anyway. But I don't think they'll bury the hatchet in the first place anyway, so.
Perry is already too old to be singing these songs. Jane's was always a young man's game...about youth and rebellion. I'd love to find the exact quotes, but back around 1990-91 once it was announced that Jane's was going to break up, Perry said in an interview with Rolling Stone that he didn't ever want to be Mick Jagger's age and still singing "Mountain Song", etc. He basically said that Mick was going through the motions and didn't even know what he was singing anymore when The Stones performed songs like "Satisfaction".
In Perry's defense, he was doing alot of heroin and crack when he said that.

Dave also said he didn't want to tour past 30 for the same reasons. And here he is in his mid 40s and still going, with the same band none the less.

It's hard to say no when your career affords you a lavish lifestyle

JOEinPHX

#5 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:19 pm

on the topic of Eric though...

meh. i doubt he will perform with them at the R&R HOF ceremony. He'll say he already did it for NME and doesn't see a point in reliving the past yet again.

Pandemonium

#6 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:28 pm

I'd say there's a small chance when the band inevitably gets inducted into the RnRHoF Eric might reunite with the other three guys for a couple songs but I wouldn't bet on it. I'd say the odds are as zero as zero gets concerning another tour or song (much less and album) from the original four guys.

Maybe Cheney, Flea, Martyn and Duff would be the only guys to show up and a reunited Velvet Revolver could cover a couple Jane's tunes.

Tyler Durden

#7 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:30 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:

Dave also said he didn't want to tour past 30 for the same reasons. And here he is in his mid 40s and still going, with the same band none the less.

He's 52 now.
Six7Six7 wrote:on the topic of Eric though...

meh. i doubt he will perform with them at the R&R HOF ceremony. He'll say he already did it for NME and doesn't see a point in reliving the past yet again.
That's exactly what I foresee happening. I just wanted to hear other people's visions on what might happen.

JOEinPHX

#8 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:45 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:

He's 52 now.
No. he's 44.

6-7-67

Tyler Durden

#9 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:50 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:

He's 52 now.
No. he's 44.

6-7-67
Oh, sorry...I read that as Perry, not Dave. :dunce:

Tyler Durden

#10 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:54 pm

Anyway, the point is...playing the music of Jane's past a certain age makes people look silly. The music is very youthful in nature. "Sex and violence". :nod:

I remember being incredibly embarrassed for John Lydon when he got the Sex Pistols back together to tour in the mid 90s. He looked like a total wanker.

Deconstruction

#11 Post by Deconstruction » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:25 pm

Eric will definitely show up at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ceremony, I'm not sure if he'd perform with Jane's though. It's probably the only chance of it ever happening again. Perry will probably demand they do End to the Lies.

JOEinPHX

#12 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:22 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:Anyway, the point is...playing the music of Jane's past a certain age makes people look silly. The music is very youthful in nature. "Sex and violence". :nod:

I remember being incredibly embarrassed for John Lydon when he got the Sex Pistols back together to tour in the mid 90s. He looked like a total wanker.
He looked like a total wanker the first time around.

Tyler Durden

#13 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:34 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:Anyway, the point is...playing the music of Jane's past a certain age makes people look silly. The music is very youthful in nature. "Sex and violence". :nod:

He looked like a total wanker the first time around.
Touché. :tiphat:

Juana

#14 Post by Juana » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:41 pm

Acoustic surf rock with Pete and Perry is the way to go.

Dave can be a TV persona like Henry Rollins

JOEinPHX

#15 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:53 pm

Henry Rollins is not a TV persona.

Take it back.

Juana

#16 Post by Juana » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:16 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:Henry Rollins is not a TV persona.

Take it back.
Oh I know he's not but I'm saying now that he's cut back on his musical output he does a lot more with TV so he can pay his bills and what not

Larry B.

#17 Post by Larry B. » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:19 pm

Nothing with Perry is the way to go. Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

JOEinPHX

#18 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:21 pm

He gave up the music thing. Said last year that he couldn't imagine being able to do anything on par with his younger self, so he wasn't going to force himself to attempt it. (unlike our friend Perry. haha)

Still does a shit ton of spoken word shows though. And books (just announced yesterday a photography book). And his radio show. and USO tours. and cartoon voiceovers. And move and TV roles. and writes columns for magazines.

And he hosts things for National Geographic because they seem to dig his raspy voice and professionalism.

i consider Mark McGrath a TV persona. Navarro was when he was doing Rockstar and TDDUP.

But Rollins is more of a well-rounded individual who dips into every medium equally.

JOEinPHX

#19 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:25 pm

Oh, one more tidbit about Rollins.

Not too long ago Howard Stern asked him about his finances and got him to admit that he is a millionaire and owns 2 houses.

Rollins doesn't need money, he just likes to work.

JOEinPHX

#20 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:26 pm

If anyone was wondering...

YES, i am gayer for Rollins than i am for Navarro. :lolol:

Larry B.

#21 Post by Larry B. » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:28 pm

Rollins' spoken word is just an incredibly stupid bunch of shit. I truly can't believe people actually pay for that.

JOEinPHX

#22 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:29 pm

Larry B. wrote:Rollins' spoken word is just an incredibly stupid bunch of shit. I truly can't believe people actually pay for that.
It's hilarious. and thought-provoking.

You suck.

Juana

#23 Post by Juana » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:54 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:If anyone was wondering...

Having met Henry a few times I know all that stuff and respect the guy a lot. He's a very down to earth person and just all around nice and interesting person.

And Larry, his spoken word is great, maybe some of it you don't like but when he talks about certain things he's pretty awesome. I don't like all of it but a lot of it is really well thought out and interesting. At least to me.

JOEinPHX

#24 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:08 pm

Juana wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:If anyone was wondering...

Having met Henry a few times I know all that stuff and respect the guy a lot. He's a very down to earth person and just all around nice and interesting person.

And Larry, his spoken word is great, maybe some of it you don't like but when he talks about certain things he's pretty awesome. I don't like all of it but a lot of it is really well thought out and interesting. At least to me.
Just to chime in on the Spoken word thing...

Everything Pre-George W. Bush was amazing.

for a few years he got a little too political and war-minded with what he talked about and it started getting a little stale just because of that. He wasn't saying anything that any other comedian wasn't saying as well.

He's been better the last few years and even says "i won't even get into Bush, because you already know what i will say..."

Mescal

#25 Post by Mescal » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:13 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
Well he sure as hell was right then.

I listened to Nothing's Shocking again for the first time in months on my walkman (don't ask :)); and indeed the youth and rebellion is pouring out in the music and in his voice. He ain't got that voice anymore. As said here before a thousand times; they're a lounge band, not the band they used to be or represent.

The new album might have some good songs, but it won't be Jane's Addiction.