Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
ThenSheDid

Cool Jane's 1.0 article

#1 Post by ThenSheDid » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:09 am

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/feature/14 ... ffliction/

Eric tweeted this link actually.

Eric Avery ‏ @ericavery
great, insightful article about janes 1.0 written by a very smart man:

This article claims that the xxx record only has live drums and that the rest are overdubs...what do you guys think?

Jasper

Re: Cool Jane's 1.0 article

#2 Post by Jasper » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:28 pm

Yeah, that's been posted before. Some I agree with, some I think is bullshit, some I have no way of judging or verifying. I don't know if EA really hates Of Course - he could, I just don't know unless he says so himself. He tweeted the thing, apparently, but does that mean he's 10% behind all of it, including everything PF says in the interview?

Anyway, there's a lot of truth in the piece, and also a lot of hearsay. Perry says he couldn't care less about the stack of green, but we know that's not true, so, what about the rest of the interview, which the author seems to accept at face value? When I saw that back in the day I just thought "Hey, Perry's really fucking strung out." I know that a lot of what Perry's saying is generally true, but the guy who wrote this comes across like he thinks strictly in black and white. He's opinionated, and that's his business, but I don't have to buy into it hook, line and sinker, even if EA tweeted it.

Bottom line, yeah, getting bigger didn't seem to help these Jane's 1.0 keep it together, but they were still fucking amazing, and there's plenty of aural evidence. The birth of Jane's had a wild manic energy, yes, but they were capable of absolute transcendent perfection all the way up to and through that final Hawaii show.

clickie

#3 Post by clickie » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:31 pm

Its a cool article but that guy exaggerates a little too much about everything.

I've heard the unpolished roxy show and perrys voice sounds so identical
to the official released version that you immediately recognise its that same show.

and the writer didnt even say its all overdubbed anyway, he said a lot of it...

I definetely agree with him about anything after 91' not being janes though and i can understand why eric liked this article so much. :lol:

As far as this guy loving the demos so much, i havent listened to the demo boots in almost ten years, but
i do remember liking all the fully produced ritual songs over the demos. when it comes to a song
like idiots rule i'm pretty sure i'd prefer the demo...

trevor ayer

#4 Post by trevor ayer » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:25 pm

jane's xxx record definately had overdubs .. perky said the drum cymbal mics failed and he had to go back and do all the splashes .. if u listen to the original soundboard there is some pretty obvious editing in pigs in zen .. i'd still love to get the full suffer some from that show ... but to call xxx and nothings shocking bad records is pretty lame .. shocking was very polished and had its production faults but it also hit like a huge slab of metal upside ur head .. there was something cool about the sound even if it wasn't as raw as the early days .. which I will agree were really great .. the energy of those shows was what really drew me into janes .. the later tours didn't have it as much .. reminds me of this guy i met who had all these old photos of kirk in exodus and dave when he was in metallica .. some people thought metallica sold out with and justice .. others the black album .. but this guy was like .. they sold out with kill em all .. i was like fuck man .. but he was right .. i mean dave wasn't even on that record .. perky also mentioned that he quit janes right before they got signed because perry didn't want to give him songwriting credits .. sure some drummers come up with close to nothing interesting but perky is not one of those drummers .. those drum spots are as memorable as the songs themselves .. the intro to ted .. had a dad .. trip away .. .. i thought eric wanted to play of course on the relapse .. he must have come around to that song .. i can see why he didnt like it but its still a pretty good song .. and shit .. he played it on tour enough, he must have gotten over it .. the reasons these bands get the life sucked out of them is because once they get that huge advance .. the record co makes them pay it back by pushing them on these grueling tours .. during which they are on buses and in hotels with nothing to do and only each other to annoy .. get hooked on drugs to amuse and keep chugging away .. of course the inspiration is gone .. might as well be at a desk job .. except at a desk job u can at least go home .. instead of sleeping in ur cot on a bus .. with three other dudes 2 of whom hate u because they are trying to stay off the h

blackcoffee

#5 Post by blackcoffee » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:29 pm

He may be completely right, but I resent a guy telling me the Jane's I saw in 90 wasn't a good show, or was somehow inferior to what he saw because he was there at the beginning...no, the real, real, REAL beginning.

SR

#6 Post by SR » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:26 am

Nice read, but as usual any remarks aimed to reanimate 1.0's legacy fall woefully short. I probably react too viscerally, but the last pang of regret i feel is that 2.0 and beyond have muddled how they are remembered so much that it can never really be understood.

Too, EA seems to take a grim/unhealthy pleasure in being reminded publically that Jane's "ain't shit" without the Eric, a fact with which I agree.

Leto

#7 Post by Leto » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:37 pm

SR wrote: Too, EA seems to take a grim/unhealthy pleasure in being reminded publically that , a fact with which I agree.
While I agree with this, I also think this applies to the other three. The original Jane's sum was definitely greater than the parts.

Jane's "ain't shit" without the David
Jane's "ain't shit" without the Perry
Jane's "ain't shit" without the Stephen

Rings true doesn't it?

Matz

#8 Post by Matz » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:25 pm

Jane's probably wouldn't have been all that much without the songwriting abilities of Eric but when it comes to the live part his role is exaggerated in my opinion

SR

#9 Post by SR » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:49 pm

Leto wrote:
SR wrote: Too, EA seems to take a grim/unhealthy pleasure in being reminded publically that , a fact with which I agree.
While I agree with this, I also think this applies to the other three. The original Jane's sum was definitely greater than the parts.

Jane's "ain't shit" without the David
Jane's "ain't shit" without the Perry
Jane's "ain't shit" without the Stephen

Rings true doesn't it?
I see yr point.....I was alluding to a session I either heard of first hand or read from way back when PF remixed BCS with drum synths.....to which Perkins replied, "Jane's ain't shit without the Perk". :wave:

And to be honest, they haven't accomplished a whole lot without EA, but I said I'd play nice since the '91 show was put up......so :banana: Jane's!!!!!! :banana:

Leto

#10 Post by Leto » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:18 pm

SR wrote: I see yr point.....I was alluding to a session I either heard of first hand or read from way back when PF remixed BCS with drum synths.....to which Perkins replied, "Jane's ain't shit without the Perk". :wave:

And to be honest, they haven't accomplished a whole lot without EA, but I said I'd play nice since the '91 show was put up......so :banana: Jane's!!!!!! :banana:
"Jane's ain't shit without the Perk". :lol: Dig this, the back story and the diplomacy. :tiphat: Cheers.