Underground Pro Shot Lollapalooza Brasil

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Leto

Underground Pro Shot Lollapalooza Brasil

#1 Post by Leto » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:11 pm

Perry's vox are way up front in the mix. He sounds pretty good in comparison to recent offerings.

creep
Site Admin

Re: Underground Pro Shot Lollapalooza Brasil

#2 Post by creep » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:50 pm

perry is struggling on mt song. what a bad mix though...can hardly hear the bass.

Matov

#3 Post by Matov » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:44 pm

full show :wiggle:

Larry B.

#4 Post by Larry B. » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:58 pm

Matov wrote:
Tonight's the night... are you going to the Vorterix? Planning on getting there early?

Have a good one! :rockon: You and the other 30 guys who bought a ticket :lol:

Pandemonium

#5 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:25 am

creep wrote:perry is struggling on mt song. what a bad mix though...can hardly hear the bass.

Dave looks really bored. The way that whole clip comes off with the poorly mixed sound right off the dry line feeds is utterly lifeless. It honestly sounds they're playing in a small bedroom.

Bandit72

#6 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:40 am

Truly awful. Maybe that's them done?

SR

#7 Post by SR » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:50 am

Pandemonium wrote:
creep wrote:perry is struggling on mt song. what a bad mix though...can hardly hear the bass.

Dave looks really bored. The way that whole clip comes off with the poorly mixed sound right off the dry line feeds is utterly lifeless. It honestly sounds they're playing in a small bedroom.
Within the first minute I thought PF was going to ask for his teeth......that voice is old beyond his years.

bman

#8 Post by bman » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:08 am

Dave has had no stage presence this whole tour..but then he'll tweet what a great show it was! Janes is perfect in small clubs and theaters. I don't like seeing them at festivals anymore...they were great at Vibes and Voodoo though. The pro shot stuff always lacks the energy that is really happening.

Bandit72

#9 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:42 am

Ted is actually pretty good. Still can't hear the bass though, although his vocals are OK.

Matov

#10 Post by Matov » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:47 am

Larry B. wrote: Tonight's the night... are you going to the Vorterix? Planning on getting there early?

Yeah i'm in full bman mode (no offense man, its just that you set the bar regarding pre and post show optimism). I'm hoping for a small intimate fucked up show.

then again it could very well go this way:

Larry B.

#11 Post by Larry B. » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:02 am

Matov wrote:
Larry B. wrote: Tonight's the night... are you going to the Vorterix? Planning on getting there early?

Yeah i'm in full bman mode (no offense man, its just that you set the bar regarding pre and post show optimism). I'm hoping for a small intimate fucked up show.

My cousin who lives in Buenos Aires is going too, probably with his girlfriend. He's the one I went with for Lolla Chile 2011. So if you see a non-Argentinian-looking guy who sings every fucking song (except the ones from TGEA, which he didn't like), probably standing in front of Perry or Dave, you can say 'Matias? tu primo te manda saludos'.

But seriously, have a great time! I hope you can get really fucking close. :rockon: :rockon:

Matov

#12 Post by Matov » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:55 am

Larry B. wrote:
My cousin who lives in Buenos Aires is going too, probably with his girlfriend. He's the one I went with for Lolla Chile 2011. So if you see a non-Argentinian-looking guy who sings every fucking song (except the ones from TGEA, which he didn't like), probably standing in front of Perry or Dave, you can say 'Matias? tu primo te manda saludos'.

But seriously, have a great time! I hope you can get really fucking close. :rockon: :rockon:
he'll won't be hard to miss, its gonna be just me and him
and our girlfriends
and the band
and the stuffed bear

Larry B.

#13 Post by Larry B. » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:16 am

:lol: :lol:

Leto

#14 Post by Leto » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:21 pm

Matov wrote:
Thanks for posting this. The theatrical side of the show is unnecessary. The shocking/nothing's shocking/we're so underground theme has been thoroughly flogged. Maybe they should just stick to lazers, everybody loves lazers... and fog.

Definitive lazer moment around 7:10

bman

#15 Post by bman » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:28 pm

Matov wrote:

Can't wait to hear about it! 2 of the 3 Theater shows I saw this tour were great :nod:

Larry B.

#16 Post by Larry B. » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:12 pm

bman wrote:2 of the 3 Theater shows I saw this tour were great :nod:
bman wrote:And the other one was megaultrapayloaded spectacufabutastical!

Kajicat

#17 Post by Kajicat » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:36 pm

I haven't checked for Jane's in months. It's weird, sometimes Perry's voice is awful, but then all of a sudden he'll pull something off that is quite impressive like at the very end of Mountain Song in these vids.

I still think if Perry just grew his dreads back we'd all see and hear these shows in a completely different light. As in, way more positively.

Kajicat

#18 Post by Kajicat » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:01 pm

Holy shit I just kinda made my way through the whole show and it was actually damn nice! Perry's voice seemed just fine in a lot of the songs. Underground, the first song of the night, was his worst...from there he got better and better! Three Days was epic, and I really liked Twisted Tales. :thumb:

trevor ayer

#19 Post by trevor ayer » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:15 pm

Kajicat wrote:I haven't checked for Jane's in months. It's weird, sometimes Perry's voice is awful, but then all of a sudden he'll pull something off that is quite impressive like at the very end of Mountain Song in these vids.

I still think if Perry just grew his dreads back we'd all see and hear these shows in a completely different light. As in, way more positively.

perry has had the worst hair ever for a very long time .. dreads would take him at least 2 years .. but its true that hair has power .. its your heads antennae .. they did a study .. found the best native american trackers .. half shaved half kept their hair .. snuck up on them while sleeping in the woods and everyone with hair woke up before the person got to them .. the bald did not .. women have more intuition because they do not usually cut their hair .. perry hasn't been in touch with anything real for a long time now .. and i agree .. its the hair :cool:

creep
Site Admin

#20 Post by creep » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:03 pm

Matov wrote:
Larry B. wrote:

he'll won't be hard to miss, its gonna be just me and him
and our girlfriends
and the band
and the stuffed bear
i just read this:
Jane’s Addiction have announced that they will move the performance for their Theatre of the Escapist Tour date in Argentina from the Estadio Malvinas Arena to El Theatro Vorterix in Buenos Aires. This will be done so the Argentinian fans can see the full production in the proper theatre setting that Perry Farrell and the group had originally planned for the show. The group have designed an amazing theatrical show that has been getting rave reviews from sold out shows all over the United States.
:lol: i'm sure the move from an arena to a theater had nothing to do with ticket sales. after this and the shows cancelled in mexico i think that jane's might not be the draw they thought they were in latin america.

Matov

#21 Post by Matov » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:25 pm

just got back from the show.
knowing they get paid regardless of the amount of people they draw, i'm glad as fuck they didn't sell enough to fill out that first stadium.
having happened in such a small theater it was thankfully packed, and who knew janes had at least 1500 diehards who knew not only their classics, but also TGEA songs... the crowd was very enthusiastic and they seemed to get somewhat of a kick out of it.
the band was bman-tastic. setlist wise there were no surprises, it was mostly lolla setlist+ ETTL and maybe some other song.
i was up front on dave's side, what can i say, i'm a dave fan. as in TNO loving, Panic Channel enjoying, SpreadTV watching Dave fan. i never ever ever ever thought i'd get a chance to see one of my guitar heroes and man crushes so close so that probably added to my experience. also, getting a pick afterwards and getting to shake perry's hand during one song didn't hurt one bit.
perry didn't come off one bit as cringeworthy and though he was a bit buried in the mix he sounded just fine. his banter was no birkenstock material either, but he didn't act like a game show host, so i'm cool with that.
etty+the theatrics: i'm obviously a bit jaded and biased from lurking round here so often, but if i pretend not to know what i know about etty and her history with the community, her "performance" joined by the bozo acts and the videos felt not that far from what i loved when i saw the relapse tour (on video of course). you know, scantily clad women being slutty and dancing around, manic people onstage, an overall feeling of debauchery... that was a big part of what drew me to janes back then, in my teens.
i didn't take exact notes of the setlist so i'll update that as soon as its online somewhere.
a few more short notes. during the acoustic set, dave approached stephen's side and stephen gave him this surprised look, they were playing jane says (no i would for you nor classic girl :sad: ) and the crowd was singing along to the steeldrum melody, going "ooh ohoh oh oh oh", and stephen went "wow", with big eyes and a big perkins-y smile. Yeah i know i could have put some more effort into that phrasing but bear with me, its almost 3am here in argentina.
dave's soloing wasn't relapse wild, but it also wasnt a note for note rendition of his albums solos, which i enjoyed. also, he added some melodies and phrasings to the intro to three days, and ocean size. it didn't feel like he was going by the numbers. i liked that. i liked the show. thank you boys!

Leto

#22 Post by Leto » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:13 pm

creep wrote: i just read this:
Jane’s Addiction have announced that they will move the performance for their Theatre of the Escapist Tour date in Argentina from the Estadio Malvinas Arena to El Theatro Vorterix in Buenos Aires. This will be done so the Argentinian fans can see the full production in the proper theatre setting that Perry Farrell and the group had originally planned for the show. The group have designed an amazing theatrical show that has been getting rave reviews from sold out shows all over the United States.
:lol: i'm sure the move from an arena to a theater had nothing to do with ticket sales. after this and the shows cancelled in mexico i think that jane's might not be the draw they thought they were in latin america.
Spin city.

Larry B.

#23 Post by Larry B. » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:48 am

Matov wrote:just got back from the show.
knowing they get paid regardless of the amount of people they draw, i'm glad as fuck they didn't sell enough to fill out that first stadium.
having happened in such a small theater it was thankfully packed, and who knew janes had at least 1500 diehards who knew not only their classics, but also TGEA songs... the crowd was very enthusiastic and they seemed to get somewhat of a kick out of it.
the band was bman-tastic. setlist wise there were no surprises, it was mostly lolla setlist+ ETTL and maybe some other song.
i was up front on dave's side, what can i say, i'm a dave fan. as in TNO loving, Panic Channel enjoying, SpreadTV watching Dave fan. i never ever ever ever thought i'd get a chance to see one of my guitar heroes and man crushes so close so that probably added to my experience. also, getting a pick afterwards and getting to shake perry's hand during one song didn't hurt one bit.
perry didn't come off one bit as cringeworthy and though he was a bit buried in the mix he sounded just fine. his banter was no birkenstock material either, but he didn't act like a game show host, so i'm cool with that.
etty+the theatrics: i'm obviously a bit jaded and biased from lurking round here so often, but if i pretend not to know what i know about etty and her history with the community, her "performance" joined by the bozo acts and the videos felt not that far from what i loved when i saw the relapse tour (on video of course). you know, scantily clad women being slutty and dancing around, manic people onstage, an overall feeling of debauchery... that was a big part of what drew me to janes back then, in my teens.
i didn't take exact notes of the setlist so i'll update that as soon as its online somewhere.
a few more short notes. during the acoustic set, dave approached stephen's side and stephen gave him this surprised look, they were playing jane says (no i would for you nor classic girl :sad: ) and the crowd was singing along to the steeldrum melody, going "ooh ohoh oh oh oh", and stephen went "wow", with big eyes and a big perkins-y smile. Yeah i know i could have put some more effort into that phrasing but bear with me, its almost 3am here in argentina.
dave's soloing wasn't relapse wild, but it also wasnt a note for note rendition of his albums solos, which i enjoyed. also, he added some melodies and phrasings to the intro to three days, and ocean size. it didn't feel like he was going by the numbers. i liked that. i liked the show. thank you boys!
Awesome!

My cousin told me the show was good, but that he enjoyed the Lolla Chile 2011 show better. He said the sound was terrible and that he could barely hear Perry. I wonder if it's really the engineer's fault or it's just the fact that Perry whispers what he used to scream :noclue:

Anyway, he told me that at some point he kinda touched/grabbed Dave's guitar and he gave him the coldest I'm-gonna-fucking-kill-you-you-fucking-brown-Indian look that kept going for a while. And when they were playing Jane Says, he kinda signaled Dave to turn up the volume... which prompted another fuck-you-you-little-fugly-piece-of-shit look. Perry also grabbed my cousin's girlfriend hand for a while during some song, I don't know which one. At the end of the show, both received a pick from Dave's tech.

Here's a photo he found. The pointing finger is my cousin's and the arm right next to it is his girlfriend's.

BTW... no Classic Girl or I Would For You!?!? Why the fuck not!? I was so stoked that my cousin was going to listen to those songs that I didn't even tell him they seemed to be part of the regular setlist, so that he'd get a big surprise. :sad:

creep wrote: :lol: i'm sure the move from an arena to a theater had nothing to do with ticket sales. after this and the shows cancelled in mexico i think that jane's might not be the draw they thought they were in latin america.
Definitely.

Bandit72

#24 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:55 am

creep wrote:
i just read this:
They're a ZILLION times better in a dive of a club anyway. Arena shows are way overrated.

bman

#25 Post by bman » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:05 am

I'm glad the show was BMANTastic! Perry looks cool as shit in that photo. :rockon: