JA and Garbage playing

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
SR

Re: JA and Garbage playing

#51 Post by SR » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:06 am

Great show for some bands including janes. I'll have more when I'm not so spent. Admit, who/where were you? I saw and chatted with lizwiz and skorb for a while.

Will say, I've never seen ea so relaxed and happy in a gig ever....more later. Forwarded notes to panda

kv

#52 Post by kv » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:11 am

wow people actually drove from la to sd for janes?

Romeo

#53 Post by Romeo » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:22 am

Leto wrote:Recent Eric Tweet:

Eric Avery ‏@ericavery

Ok..so..im not gonna lie to you, it's a little weird showering backstage while hearing a band play grooves u wrote 20 years ago.

Strange days indeed.
:yikes:

:no:

kc

#54 Post by kc » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:32 am

Must say, I'm a little disappointed cause I was hoping for a little more twitter - drama from Etty after Eric's tweet!

Mescal

#55 Post by Mescal » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:19 am

LizWiz?

Really

Haven't heard from him since Alien On Acid days

Leto

#56 Post by Leto » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:07 am

kc wrote:Must say, I'm a little disappointed cause I was hoping for a little more twitter - drama from Etty after Eric's tweet!
:lol: She'll hint at it in some passive aggressive way soon enough.

SR

#57 Post by SR » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:59 am

kv wrote:wow people actually drove from la to sd for janes?
Yeah, the dolts weren't playing. :lol:

SR

#58 Post by SR » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:25 pm

Ok, short synopsis.....

Rebolution has some very die hard fans, not many, but enough to make a statement and I can see why. We got there for the beginning of their set and they are clearly a talented bunch. Reggae bores the shit out of me, so the first few songs I heard were great, such as they were, but like I said......Their closing 3 were much more reggae influenced, almost Sublime like and those were fantastic

The Neon Trees I focussed on fairly closely. I had heard some good things about them. The lead singer is self celebrated freak and I didn't know if I hated him or loved him for the first half of the set. Clearly talented and satistfied with himself, I was wondering if he had the DNA of some lead singer megolomania, but I came down on the side of sincere passion for music. They are influenced heavily by 50's harmonies and du op, but they are clearly a poppy alternative band. All in all, I like them a great deal. :thumb:

POD was a very tight band and I was hypnotized by their drummer. He was relentless and powerful. I love to hear the beats and feel them going through me. Lead singer/rapper was talented as well. I know it's common, but it bugs the shit out of me when after every song they incite the pit. In this case, there was a severe injury wherre, at least to his credit, he had to stop the show (but then ascibed credit to Jesus when it appeared the injured wouldn't be paralized). I hate POD

I had never seen Garbage before and only know a hanful of their songs. I loved this band. I expected more from Butch Vig as a drummer, but hey, he kept time and accomplished all the fills deep within the pocket. They are definately "old man" rock/punk. I did enjoy the way they alternated between lead gutarists. Just, interesting. EA was VERY animated and at ease, a mind set I have never seen him in, even with Jane's....ever. Dancing, jamming, grooving.....and rock solid on bass. Nice to see. I fell in love with SM. :heart:

A&A was a wash btw.....went out and chatted with old friends during their set.

Jane's killed it. They have re-mastered their own "oldies". They sounded better than NINJA, by far, no toning down, etc. PF hit some sporatic required high notes, and avoided entirely others. It really seems someone has gottin in his ear about ommissions that are required so as not to ruin a song. Dave was differnent as well. He killed it. Happy, relaxed and into themusic, he was singing along with aat least half the set to himself. But his guitar was on fire. Cheney is a remarkable and forgettable bass player. I don't know how he accomplishes that, but he does seamlessly. Perk was Perk. All in all they are true pros now......the magic is long gone. Oh, and it hit me harder, as I have thought this on a number of occasions......these guys can't write anymore. They are forever their own cover band. New stuff sucked, but better live than on tape. I am OK with Underground (they opened with it), but blah to it and the rest of it.

Larry B.

#59 Post by Larry B. » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:21 pm

SR wrote:no toning down, etc.
I seriously doubt that.

chaos

#60 Post by chaos » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:29 pm

http://www.4sd.signonsandiego.com/news/ ... =2#article - Pages 2-3
. . .
Led by the ever-charismatic Shirley Manson, Garbage ripped through its set with a winning combination of fire and finesse. With drummer Butch Vig and former Jane's Addiction bassist Eric Avery providing a rhythmic foundation that was both taut and propulsive, the recently re-activated band performed with such a sense of purpose and vigor it seemed as if their reputation, rather than their bank balance, was on the line.

The one-two punch of Garbage's opening salvo, "Push It" and "Stupid Girl," set the bar high from the outset, but the one-woman, four-man group had no trouble maintaining that standard throughout. At the start of "Stupid Girl," Manson twice sang the chorus of Donna Summer's 1975 disco hit "Love to Love You Baby." It was a savvy acknowledgement that disco and Summer helped create the template for much of electronic dance music that followed -- and for such highly successful, dance-conscious alt-rock bands as Garbage.

"For those of you who have no idea who we are, we are Garbage!" declared Manson, perhaps cognizant of the fact that the band's self-titled debut album is now 17 years old. "For those of you who hate us, we are Garbage! And for those of you who love us, we are Garbage!"

With that, Manson and company ripped into The Beatles' flavored "Special" with precisely the combination of maturity and youthful enthusiasm, spunk and poise, that makes Garbage so, well, special. Equally impressive was "Why Do You Love Me?", "I Think I'm Paranoid" and the epic "I'm Only Happy When It Rains."

Armed with a potent new album, the defiantly titled "Not Your Kind of People," Garbage -- back after a nearly 7-year layoff -- appears to potentially have as bright a future as its heady past, musically speaking, if not commercially.

To these ears, the same forecast seems a bit less likely for Jane's Addiction, which delivered a well-focused set of its own.

With singer and erstwhile Oceanside resident Perry Farrell at the fore, the band -- which was formed in 1986 and has imploded and regrouped several times since -- performed with polish and visceral power.

Missing was the sense of danger and "anything can happen" bravado that were once its trademarks. Then again, Jane's might not still exist (or sound as accomplished) today if its members hadn't learned to pull back from the fire of potential self-destruction, both for their personal well-being and as a career-extending imperative.

But apart from "Twisted Tales" and the set-opening "Underground," Farrell, guitarist Dave Navarro, drummer Stephens Perkins and Avery's latest replacement on bass, Chris Chaney, chose to concentrate on such tried and true songs as "Just Because" "Three days," "Been Caught Stealing," "Mountain Song," and the surging "Ocean Size" (which at one point found Navarro deftly quoting the opening chords from Cream's version of the Skip James' blues chestnut, "I'm So Glad").

The reference to Cream may not have been random. When Farrell was bounding across the stage, rather than singing, Jane's sometimes sounded like a classic power -trio from the late 1960s, especially when Navarro threw his head back and launched into a series of acrobatic, wah-wah drenched guitar solos. Once darlings of the late 1980s alt-rock scene, Jane's seems less hesitant now to display its links to the blues-fueled rock of earlier decades.

Perkins' African-inspired poly-rhythmic accents helped provide fresh percussive textures and an expanded feeling of tension and release. Visual flair was provided by the two scantily clad female dancers (one of whom, Etty Lau, is Farrell's wife) that cavorted on, and above, the stage, both with and without whips in hand. Meanwhile, the shirtless Navarro's rock-god poses somehow managed to transcend the Spinal Tap-like sense of parody they often suggested.

If Jane's can produce new work as strong as its best songs of yore, it could thrive again. If not, the band's high-octane blasts from the past combine nostalgia, novelty and more into a consumer-friendly package. Here's hoping Farrell and company are more inclined to look forward than back.

The key difference between Jane's and Garbage may be a matter of perspective, but Farrell and company threw a fun party, while Manson and Garbage seemed determined to provide -- and prove -- something beyond just a rocking good time at X-Fest.

(Six other bands performed at X-Fest. Alas, work commitments prevented this listener from catching any of their sets.)

kv

#61 Post by kv » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:34 pm

ding winner

Romeo

#62 Post by Romeo » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:33 am

Missing was the sense of danger and "anything can happen" bravado that were once its trademarks.
maaaaan that's a mouthful right there!!

creep
Site Admin

#63 Post by creep » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:51 am

tweet to eric. kind of funny
ha...ah.....nope. RT @monkeyfeet555: @ericavery of Jane's Addiction http://bit.ly/KGbJOW

JOEinPHX

#64 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:17 pm

It's gone. Was it Chaney again?

creep
Site Admin

#65 Post by creep » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:19 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:It's gone. Was it Chaney again?
yeah...the guy must have took it down after he figured it out.

JOEinPHX

#66 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:24 pm

It's got to be really annoying.

Dave Navarro

Tyler Durden

#67 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:50 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:It's got to be really annoying.

Dave Navarro
Did he do anything before becoming a Pepper?