Duff enjoying the Mountain Song riff?

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Bandit72

Duff enjoying the Mountain Song riff?

#1 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:31 am

From 38 seconds...

Matz

Re: Duff enjoying the Mountain Song riff?

#2 Post by Matz » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:11 am

right, he probably got bored playing that incredibly long and boring intro to Slither the regular way

Pandemonium

#3 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:33 am

Scott sounds more Perry than Perry in the intro. Maybe if (or when) Janes implodes again and Panic Channel looms, they should get Weiland to front 'em.

Matz

#4 Post by Matz » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:27 am

they should factor in the constant headache they'll be having if he's in the band before they make any decisions about him joining

Larry B.

#5 Post by Larry B. » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:28 am

Pandemonium wrote:Scott sounds more Perry than Perry in the intro. Maybe if (or when) Janes implodes again and Panic Channel looms, they should get Weiland to front 'em.
I was going to say the same... he even looks kinda Perry-ish.

Great find :thumb:

blackula

#6 Post by blackula » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:51 am

Larry B. wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:Scott sounds more Perry than Perry in the intro. Maybe if (or when) Janes implodes again and Panic Channel looms, they should get Weiland to front 'em.
I was going to say the same... he even looks kinda Perry-ish.

Great find :thumb:
Weiland already tried to be Perry once when he put out 12 bar blues with Pete and Martyn in his band. They quit when Weiland got busted in NYC buying heroin, I think about a week into the tour, and that ended his solo career for a while.

bman

#7 Post by bman » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:23 pm

Weiland! First he tried to rip off Eddy Vedder..Than He began pulling a Perry in 2001. Poor Guy cant be himself.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#8 Post by Hokahey » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:27 pm

Uh oh. Wait until 6767 finds his way on here.

Jasper

#9 Post by Jasper » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:18 pm

hokahey wrote:Uh oh. Wait until 6767 finds his way on here.
My thought exactly. He'll be on about how they were all just influenced by Jim Morrison, but Morrison sang out with an open throat. He did the baritone thing, yeah, and that was his unique mix of Elvis and Sinatra, but Morrison did not do the goat style of singing that became almost de rigueur for male alterna-singers in the 90s. Layne Staley, Eddie Vedder, and Scott Weiland all did that to a greater or lesser degree.

trevor ayer

#10 Post by trevor ayer » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:31 pm

no way maaaaaan ... panic chanelle aint panic chanelle with out that lead singer guy .. whateverthefuckhisnameis .. i heard he wrote all the basslines anyway

Kajicat

#11 Post by Kajicat » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:40 pm

bman wrote:Weiland! First he tried to rip off Eddy Vedder..Than He began pulling a Perry in 2001. Poor Guy cant be himself.
Nah, Scott definitely had his own thing going, especially from 1994 - 1999. Especially with Tiny Music...Songs From the Vatican Gift Shop. Such a wonderful psychedelic pop rock album.

I gotta' say... I do like VR. Imagine seeing them in a small club. Those guys rocked live.

Bandit72

#12 Post by Bandit72 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:03 am

Kajicat wrote:
bman wrote:Weiland! First he tried to rip off Eddy Vedder..Than He began pulling a Perry in 2001. Poor Guy cant be himself.
Nah, Scott definitely had his own thing going, especially from 1994 - 1999. Especially with Tiny Music...Songs From the Vatican Gift Shop. Such a wonderful psychedelic pop rock album.

I gotta' say... I do like VR. Imagine seeing them in a small club. Those guys rocked live.
Yeh, I saw them at the end of 2004 and they were amazing. I dunno if it's the whole Slash thing? Friends whop went to Download this year said he was awesome too. Did the mandatory 5 or so GnR songs. He comes across as genuine, *nice* and no bullshit.

Matov

#13 Post by Matov » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:57 am

Jasper wrote:
My thought exactly. He'll be on about how they were all just influenced by Jim Morrison, but Morrison sang out with an open throat. He did the baritone thing, yeah, and that was his unique mix of Elvis and Sinatra, but Morrison did not do the goat style of singing that became almost de rigueur for male alterna-singers in the 90s. Layne Staley, Eddie Vedder, and Scott Weiland all did that to a greater or lesser degree.

Goat Style :lol:
to be fair, and i think he to a certain extent has admitted this, vedder hasn't only picked up on morrison's shtick, but he also stole a lil bit from daltrey and a lil bit from springsteen. i THINK he might get his closed throat, tense jaw thing from springsteen. probably even from staley, as AIC was the first band pearl jam toured with.
staley i wouldn-t know who he got it from, as i am less familiar with his influences. the devil himself maybe?
i think weiland is his own man. he may be a bit more permeable to what he's liking at a certain moment, be that pearl jam, nirvana, bowie, janes, or christmas songs :hehe: but i wouldn´t shit on him for that.

Hype

#14 Post by Hype » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:34 am

JOEinPHX

#15 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:52 am

Why?

Just because i like STP doesn't mean I won't fully admit that Weiland is a Morrison and Perry ripoff. He stole Morrison's vocal approach and totally stole all of Perry's stage moves. And David Bowie's wardrobe.

And don 't even fucking get me started on Velvet Revolver's Van Halen induction when he went full on Mick Jagger. Or when he grew that beard and looked EXACTLY like old/fat Jim Morrison. What a tool.

Scott has always been kind of an ape to his influences.

I just happen to think, at one time, he had a pretty damn good voice and wrote some really interesting (albeit, drug induced) lyrics. And The Deleos' approach to bass/guitar sounds like nothing anyone else is doing.

Had Scott been more original, and didn't have so many damn drug problems, STP would be enormous right now. Instead they walk that fine line between playing The House of Blues, and possibly being able to do small arenas if they can get a hit going on mainstream rock radio.

bman

#16 Post by bman » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:05 am

Yeah MotherLoveBone!

Good post 6767, although I was never fan of STP.

Romeo

#17 Post by Romeo » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:23 am

scott pulls Mountain song out of his hat from time. This past winter I was at City winery because he was doing that odd Christmas thing, which was pretty fucking bizarre but I had to see it for myself....
And if you have ever been to City Winery it's a actual winery in the middle of Manhattan that has shows....so it's very lounge vibey.

ANYHOO....middle of the show...Scott does full blown Mountain Song. It was actually really good & very trippy. :tiphat:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#18 Post by Hokahey » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:34 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
Why?

Just because i like STP doesn't mean I won't fully admit that Weiland is a Vedder and Perry ripoff. He stole Eddie's vocal approach and totally stole all of Perry's stage moves. And David Bowie's wardrobe.
Fixed.

Kajicat

#19 Post by Kajicat » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:23 pm

hokahey wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
Why?

Just because i like STP doesn't mean I won't fully admit that Weiland is a Vedder and Perry ripoff. He stole Eddie's vocal approach and totally stole all of Perry's stage moves. And David Bowie's wardrobe.
Fixed.
No, Weiland channels Morrison much more than Vedder. He only went Vedder style on the first album, Core. After that every STP album featured heavy Morrison-esque vocals by Scott.

JOEinPHX

#20 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:44 pm

STP's first album was already recorded before anyone even knew who Pearl Jam were.

Scott ripped off Morrison, not Vedder.

Vedder didn't even really rip off Morrison. Have you ever heard Ed speak? Dude's just got a natural baritone. You're not going to hear him singing in falsetto. Anything gutteral and bass-y that comes out of him is of course going to be compared to the best-known previous example.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#21 Post by Hokahey » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:20 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:STP's first album was already recorded before anyone even knew who Pearl Jam were.

Really? Recorded between 1991 and 1992 according to everything I can find on line. With the track "Plush", one of the most common songs referenced as sounding like Weiland ripped of Eddie (note the facial expressions in the video being similar to Vedder in the Jeremy video as well), being recorded in 1992.
Scott ripped off Morrison, not Vedder.
So says every single singer accused of ripping of Vedder.
Vedder didn't even really rip off Morrison. Have you ever heard Ed speak? Dude's just got a natural baritone. You're not going to hear him singing in falsetto. Anything gutteral and bass-y that comes out of him is of course going to be compared to the best-known previous example.
People claim he ripped of Morrison? Not widely, like the well known "weiland ripped off vedder on Core" claim.

Heck, Google "weiland ripped off vedder" and find page after page on it.

Jasper

#22 Post by Jasper » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:23 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:Vedder didn't even really rip off Morrison. Have you ever heard Ed speak? Dude's just got a natural baritone. You're not going to hear him singing in falsetto. Anything gutteral and bass-y that comes out of him is of course going to be compared to the best-known previous example.
Let's take a journey back in time, to another post, in another thread...
Six7Six7 wrote:No, the vocal approach came from Scott being a young vocalist, not having found his own thing yet, and just ripping off his hero Jim Morrison.

Until later of course when he started ripping off his other hero David Bowie.

But Vedder was the same way. Young vocalist still trying to find his voice, and ripped off his hero.... JIM MORRISON.
But to be fair lots of people ripped Eddies vocal style off for years around then.
i agree with that. Scott Stapp, Travis Dayofthenew, The guy from Seven Mary Three. For sure. Possibly. Unless of course they were all ripping off Morrison too and got a record deal because their Morrison impersonation sounded like Vedder's Morrison impersonation.
:lolol:

JOEinPHX

#23 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:04 pm

I'm much older and much more mature now.

I still think Weiland ripped off Morrison, but I no longer believe Vedder did :hehe:

bman

#24 Post by bman » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:27 am

I saw Pearl Jam and the Pumpkins open up for the Chilis in November of '91. Pearl Jam were making a name for themselves. When that STP song plush came out Weiland TOTALLY stole from Eddy Vedder.

Kajicat

#25 Post by Kajicat » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:57 am

bman wrote:I saw Pearl Jam and the Pumpkins open up for the Chilis in November of '91. Pearl Jam were making a name for themselves. When that STP song plush came out Weiland TOTALLY stole from Eddy Vedder.
Killer show. I agree Plush had Weiland doing his best Vedder impression. But later Scott did his own thing during the remainder of the 90's for the most part. Big Bang Baby, Lady Picture Show, and Trippin' on a Hole in a Paper Heart were not even close to sounding like Vedder. Plush, yes. Creep...I don't think so. Hell, I even think Sex Type Thing features bridges/turnarounds and choruses that differ from Vedder for the most part. After Core though, Scott was doing Psychedelic Pop Rock in the mid/late 90's, which no other mainstream rock act would touch. Big Bang Baby alone proved STP was going in a direction no other big band was going at the time.