Why are these the same?!

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Matov

Re: Why are these the same?!

#151 Post by Matov » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:59 pm

The greatest feeling ever is taking a break from "trying" to play a song for a while, and then going back to it later on and suddenly your hands are doing things you couldn't do before, and it's not even clear how you suddenly became able to "know" what to do. :cool:
true.

on a side note, wanna be my gay husband from abroad? it won't really involve any sex, but i can't go on with this life lying to myself about how i feel for you(r online persona). Just think about it, will ya? :gayfight: :agree: :love:

Hype

#152 Post by Hype » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:11 pm

:lol: What the hell?

(Super fun song to play, btw... Rock out in Am :rockon: )

Pandemonium

#153 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:46 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote: So I guess you don't like King Crimson or Hawkwind or any of that crazy proggy spacy shit either?

I have the cd/dvd 5.1 surround release of King Crimson's "In the Court of the Crimson King" that I picked up for a few bucks used a couple years ago but I admit after a few listens it just never took hold. Never have given Hawkwind a chance. Over the decades, I've given mostly old school 70's and '80's prog bands like ELP, pre-pop Genesis, Marillion, etc a shot but none of 'em connect with me. Probably the last progressive band I've given serious time for is Porcupine Tree and that was about 7 years ago when I picked up the DVD-Audio releases of "In Absentia" and "Deadwing" at cut-rate prices when the Long Beach Tower Records closed their doors. Most supposed metal/prog bands from the 80's and 90's like Queensrcyhe and Dream Theater, etc are junk although I do like Kings X a lot but I dunno if they could ever really be considered anything close to progressive.
Adurentibus Spina wrote: Silly anecdote: Gary Moore and I are both left-handed but learned to play the guitar right-handed anyway. It has the advantage of being able to move around the neck really easily, do faster trills and whatnot... but it means working a lot harder to keep the strum timing right, and finger-picking is damn near impossible.
One of the things that always impressed me about Moore was his clean, fast vibrato (much like BB King and Angus Young) and ability to play any genre of guitar music. I have to say it's depressing seeing clips of a bloated Gary Moore from his last few years alive. He was still a great player but I'm glad I saw him a couple times in the 80's when he was really at his peak:

CaseyContrarian

#154 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:32 am

Pandemonium wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote: So I guess you don't like King Crimson or Hawkwind or any of that crazy proggy spacy shit either?

I have the cd/dvd 5.1 surround release of King Crimson's "In the Court of the Crimson King" that I picked up for a few bucks used a couple years ago but I admit after a few listens it just never took hold. Never have given Hawkwind a chance. Over the decades, I've given mostly old school 70's and '80's prog bands like ELP, pre-pop Genesis, Marillion, etc a shot but none of 'em connect with me. Probably the last progressive band I've given serious time for is Porcupine Tree and that was about 7 years ago when I picked up the DVD-Audio releases of "In Absentia" and "Deadwing" at cut-rate prices when the Long Beach Tower Records closed their doors. Most supposed metal/prog bands from the 80's and 90's like Queensrcyhe and Dream Theater, etc are junk although I do like Kings X a lot but I dunno if they could ever really be considered anything close to progressive.
Adurentibus Spina wrote: Silly anecdote: Gary Moore and I are both left-handed but learned to play the guitar right-handed anyway. It has the advantage of being able to move around the neck really easily, do faster trills and whatnot... but it means working a lot harder to keep the strum timing right, and finger-picking is damn near impossible.
One of the things that always impressed me about Moore was his clean, fast vibrato (much like BB King and Angus Young) and ability to play any genre of guitar music. I have to say it's depressing seeing clips of a bloated Gary Moore from his last few years alive. He was still a great player but I'm glad I saw him a couple times in the 80's when he was really at his peak:

King Crimson = TRY HARDER. Pick up Red, forthwith. And Larks Tounge in Aspic. Or Starless and Bible Black. Or all goddamn three. Lock yourself in a room, bring psychedelics, if that's a thing.

Hype

#155 Post by Hype » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:51 am

For me it's as simple as this:

Matov

#156 Post by Matov » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:44 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote::lol: What the hell?
I'll take that as a maybe?

well take it as a compliment to the online manifestation of your actual self. or something.

Pandemonium

#157 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:48 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote:King Crimson = TRY HARDER. Pick up Red, forthwith. And Larks Tounge in Aspic. Or Starless and Bible Black. Or all goddamn three. Lock yourself in a room, bring psychedelics, if that's a thing.
Don't think it's gonna happen any time soon. Just picking up those 4 Rush albums on a whim on the cheap recently was a stretch for me. Lately I've been more into catching up on Misfits, Germs, Dead Kennedys, Fear and related bashcrang two chord music. Subtlety don't exist in my dojo.

mockbee

#158 Post by mockbee » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:47 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
mockbee wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Maybe you *find* Canadians to be into Rush and Bryan Adams. I'm Canadian, and I'm into Rush. :noclue:
A-Ha! I knew it! Stereotype confirmed!
Yeah but in my case it's weird b/c my grandmother babysat Geddy Lee. :scared:

Black Francis came to the architecture firm I was working at in eugene all the time several years ago and we worked on remodeling his home. It was surreal, but it didn't make me a fan of the Pixies. I was disappointed because I was hoping it would....... :noclue: I'm still trying to like their music, I feel lame or something.

In turn, your scenario doesn't play out.... :wink:
Oh fine, then I guess it's one of those cultural things... like hockey... you just kinda like it, whether or not you pay much attention to it... Everyone will admit Neil Peart is one of the best drummers of all time, and Lifeson one of the best guitarists, and arguably, Geddy one of the best bassists. :noclue:

It's interesting that you don't like the Pixies... I love them. Have you listened to all of Surfer Rosa/Come on Pilgrim, Bossanova, and Doolittle? Because there are some gems in there that aren't singles, etc.

Oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit........ i love them.

What was I thinking before?

I am actually on my way now to the library to pick up 3 or 4 or their albums aaaaaaaand that is who I will be listening to for the next several months. I guess I don't give stuff much of a chance at first......... It's also funny how much your ear for music can change so radically in just a couple years. I mean I ALWAYS loved dick dale and sonic youth and of course I was all over alternative in the early 90s when it came out, just not the precursor I guess......:hs:

This is fun. I know that there are sooooo many bands that are masters at what they do that I have no clue about and other people are like...... yea-ah??! what took you so long?........

Hype

#159 Post by Hype » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:55 pm

I can't tell if that's sarcasm or not. :scared: :lol:

I have found this thread really fun though... it started out as a drunk nonsense post, but it's taken some weird turns into interesting avenues.

mockbee

#160 Post by mockbee » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:14 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:I can't tell if that's sarcasm or not. :scared: :lol:
:lol:

It's not.

Hype

#161 Post by Hype » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:17 pm

mockbee wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:I can't tell if that's sarcasm or not. :scared: :lol:
:lol: