Why are these the same?!

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Juana

Re: Why are these the same?!

#126 Post by Juana » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:03 pm

Haha you would like Austin they love them here :lol: I know my friends back home that are into punk and the Pogues and things like that see them as the best of both worlds, but because the Femmes and Pogues came before it does seem like a "gimmick" so some.

Hype

#127 Post by Hype » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:15 pm

You mean like Jane's Addiction was a gimmick because Led Zeppelin came first? :nod: *** (My mom once said that Perry sounds like he's trying too hard to sound like Robert Plant... but doesn't really have the range.)

Juana

#128 Post by Juana » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:19 pm

Yeah pretty much, but its all personal tastes honestly the first time I heard them I didn't like them but checked em out live and loved em

Hype

#129 Post by Hype » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:24 pm

Juana wrote:Yeah pretty much, but its all personal tastes honestly the first time I heard them I didn't like them but checked em out live and loved em
That's probably EXACTLY how people used to get their friends into Jane's Addiction. :lol: In High School I played a friend of mine some JA and the dude says, in all seriousness "They sound like AC/DC!" ... :confused: :jasper:

Juana

#130 Post by Juana » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:29 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Juana wrote:Yeah pretty much, but its all personal tastes honestly the first time I heard them I didn't like them but checked em out live and loved em
That's probably EXACTLY how people used to get their friends into Jane's Addiction. :lol: In High School I played a friend of mine some JA and the dude says, in all seriousness "They sound like AC/DC!" ... :confused: :jasper:
I have heard Perry referred to as an elf

CaseyContrarian

#131 Post by CaseyContrarian » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:31 am

Eugene and I were in the same music scene in the early-to-mid '90s. We had a fun friend/rival thing goin on. He's an interesting guy; actually kind of sweet underneath the punk madman facade. He used to call me Mussolini. Hilarious.

They deserve every bit of their success; if not for music alone, then for sheer drive and work ethic.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#132 Post by Hokahey » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:15 am

Juana wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:
I have heard Perry referred to as an elf
I remember reading a Rollingstone once that said "with his adrogynous elf-like voice". It was when I was first getting in to them and I thought it was a pretty apt description.

Hype

#133 Post by Hype » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:47 am

CaseyContrarian wrote:Eugene and I were in the same music scene in the early-to-mid '90s. We had a fun friend/rival thing goin on. He's an interesting guy; actually kind of sweet underneath the punk madman facade. He used to call me Mussolini. Hilarious.

They deserve every bit of their success; if not for music alone, then for sheer drive and work ethic.
:rockon:

Pandemonium

#134 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:42 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Juana wrote:I have all their stuff you don't have to convince me :lolol:
's not for you! I've been trying to convince people here for years... I find really white-bread North Americans think they're a gimmick... :neutral:
Yeah, kinda like all Canadians are into Rush and Bryan Adams. :eyes:

Hype

#135 Post by Hype » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:36 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Juana wrote:I have all their stuff you don't have to convince me :lolol:
's not for you! I've been trying to convince people here for years... I find really white-bread North Americans think they're a gimmick... :neutral:
Yeah, kinda like all Canadians are into Rush and Bryan Adams. :eyes:
:lol: Well, what I said was "I *find* white-bread North Americans think they're a gimmick". Perhaps I should have said *tend* to think... but I still *find* it... I didn't claim "It's an empirically verified universally assented proposition that 'white-bread North Americans [aka "mangiacakes", or "cakers"] think Gogol Bordello are a gimmick."

Maybe you *find* Canadians to be into Rush and Bryan Adams. I'm Canadian, and I'm into Rush. :noclue:

Pandemonium

#136 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:48 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Maybe you *find* Canadians to be into Rush and Bryan Adams. I'm Canadian, and I'm into Rush. :noclue:
A-Ha! I knew it! Stereotype confirmed!

Hype

#137 Post by Hype » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:06 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Yeah but in my case it's weird b/c my grandmother babysat Geddy Lee. :scared:

mockbee

#138 Post by mockbee » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:23 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:

Black Francis Came to the architecture firm I was working at in Eugene all the time several years ago and we worked on remodeling his home. It was surreal, but it didn't make me a fan of the Pixies. I was disappointed because I was hoping it would....... :noclue: I'm still trying to like their music, I feel lame or something.

In turn, your scenario doesn't play out.... :wink:

trevor ayer

#139 Post by trevor ayer » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:45 am

@ casey ... i think eugene won that rivalry :lol:

gogol who? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB5_O7803oA

never heard of em'

black francis .. is da mutha fuckin maaaaaan ... maaaaan!!! frank black or otherwise .. bob dylan of the alt gen .. the catholics records are outstanding and all the pixies too ..

CaseyContrarian

#140 Post by CaseyContrarian » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:47 am

trevor ayer wrote:@ casey ... i think eugene won that rivalry :lol:

gogol who? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB5_O7803oA

never heard of em'

black francis .. is da mutha fuckin maaaaaan ... maaaaan!!! frank black or otherwise .. bob dylan of the alt gen .. the catholics records are outstanding and all the pixies too ..
Totally. Dude is fucking driven.

Hype

#141 Post by Hype » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:33 am

mockbee wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:

Black Francis Came to the architecture firm I was working at in Eugene all the time several years ago and we worked on remodeling his home. It was surreal, but it didn't make me a fan of the Pixies. I was disappointed because I was hoping it would....... :noclue: I'm still trying to like their music, I feel lame or something.

In turn, your scenario doesn't play out.... :wink:
Oh fine, then I guess it's one of those cultural things... like hockey... you just kinda like it, whether or not you pay much attention to it... Everyone will admit Neil Peart is one of the best drummers of all time, and Lifeson one of the best guitarists, and arguably, Geddy one of the best bassists. :noclue:

It's interesting that you don't like the Pixies... I love them. Have you listened to all of Surfer Rosa/Come on Pilgrim, Bossanova, and Doolittle? Because there are some gems in there that aren't singles, etc.

Pandemonium

#142 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:49 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote: Everyone will admit Neil Peart is one of the best drummers of all time, and Lifeson one of the best guitarists, and arguably, Geddy one of the best bassists. :noclue:
I probably told this one before - about how my friend and I were huge Gary Moore fans but Moore rarely toured the US but he opened for Rush during their '84 tour. So we paid for 10th row center seats at Irvine Meadows during their stop in SoCal, saw and enjoyed Moore's set, tried to hang for Rush's set but lasted maybe 3 songs and wound up going up to the lawn to pound a few drinks and people watch, got bored, gave our tickets to a couple and left after that. Never a fan of Rush until I saw them again on the Vapor Trails tour which was pretty damn impressive.

Just this week, I was killing time browsing at a local Best Buy and noticed they had all of Rush's 70's and 80's album for under $5 each and wound up getting Permanent Waves, Farewell To Kings, 2112 and the first album. Some good stuff but I still find I can't get into a lot of the long, drawn out tracks.

Hype

#143 Post by Hype » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:50 am

Pandemonium wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote: Everyone will admit Neil Peart is one of the best drummers of all time, and Lifeson one of the best guitarists, and arguably, Geddy one of the best bassists. :noclue:
I probably told this one before - about how my friend and I were huge Gary Moore fans but Moore rarely toured the US but he opened for Rush during their '84 tour. So we paid for 10th row center seats at Irvine Meadows during their stop in SoCal, saw and enjoyed Moore's set, tried to hang for Rush's set but lasted maybe 3 songs and wound up going up to the lawn to pound a few drinks and people watch, got bored, gave our tickets to a couple and left after that. Never a fan of Rush until I saw them again on the Vapor Trails tour which was pretty damn impressive.

Just this week, I was killing time browsing at a local Best Buy and noticed they had all of Rush's 70's and 80's album for under $5 each and wound up getting Permanent Waves, Farewell To Kings, 2112 and the first album. Some good stuff but I still find I can't get into a lot of the long, drawn out tracks.
So I guess you don't like King Crimson or Hawkwind or any of that crazy proggy spacy shit either?

Silly anecdote: Gary Moore and I are both left-handed but learned to play the guitar right-handed anyway. It has the advantage of being able to move around the neck really easily, do faster trills and whatnot... but it means working a lot harder to keep the strum timing right, and finger-picking is damn near impossible.

Matz

#144 Post by Matz » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:08 pm

flip the strings like Hendrix did or get a left handed guitar. No need to make things harder. Playing guitar well is hard enough as it is

Hype

#145 Post by Hype » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:19 pm

Matz wrote:flip the strings like Hendrix did or get a left handed guitar. No need to make things harder. Playing guitar well is hard enough as it is
I always thought Jimi just flipped the guitar around and learned all the chords upside down...

It's too late... I just have to work on my right-hand work a lot more...

Juana

#146 Post by Juana » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:32 pm

I'm able to write and draw with both hands but before my elbow injury I was left handed. But not being able to use your left arm you learn to do things with the other. Anyway I to play guitar right handed because it felt more natural with me as well as frees up my dominant hand to do more intricate stuff in terms of fretting things.

Guitar is not that hard its just like everything else in life you have to practice if you want to be good at it. Sure there are people that are naturally good but most of it is muscle memory and repetition and developing your ear. Most people do not have the dedication to become good at guitar.

Japhy

#147 Post by Japhy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:53 pm

Didn't Dick Dale do the old switcheroo and learn / play it upside down? My son's a leftie and learning surf music and i'm pretty sure his teacher has mentioned it a couple of times.

Hype

#148 Post by Hype » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:56 pm

Juana wrote:I'm able to write and draw with both hands but before my elbow injury I was left handed. But not being able to use your left arm you learn to do things with the other. Anyway I to play guitar right handed because it felt more natural with me as well as frees up my dominant hand to do more intricate stuff in terms of fretting things.

Guitar is not that hard its just like everything else in life you have to practice if you want to be good at it. Sure there are people that are naturally good but most of it is muscle memory and repetition and developing your ear. Most people do not have the dedication to become good at guitar.
Indeed. Learning as an adult was the worst at the beginning because your ear is already acculturated and attuned to sounds (especially someone who loves music as much as I do, for its own sake)... and my hands just weren't able to do what my brain wanted them to do... But as I thought about it... that's true for so many things... I write precociously, which is why graduate work (papers, etc) comes naturally to me -- I "just write" (and write, and write, and write...) and I get better as I go, and it gets easier as I go... and a lot of people in my department don't have it as easy as I do when it comes to sitting down to write things.

The greatest feeling ever is taking a break from "trying" to play a song for a while, and then going back to it later on and suddenly your hands are doing things you couldn't do before, and it's not even clear how you suddenly became able to "know" what to do. :cool:

Matz

#149 Post by Matz » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:49 pm

Juana wrote:I'm able to write and draw with both hands but before my elbow injury I was left handed. But not being able to use your left arm you learn to do things with the other. Anyway I to play guitar right handed because it felt more natural with me as well as frees up my dominant hand to do more intricate stuff in terms of fretting things.

guitar is easy,if you know what you're doing. If you don't know how to practice the correct way technically and creatively like so many don't you can hit a brick wall pretty fast. Talent is a very important factor as well of course

Juana

#150 Post by Juana » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:56 pm

Well I started playing piano when I was a kid so the guitar was easier to pick up but it did take a lot of practice to get the technique down and things like that. Playing it right handed just felt more natural to me anyway.