Jane's working on a classic rock cover song right now.

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Larry B.

Re: Jane's working on a classic rock cover song right now.

#51 Post by Larry B. » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:35 am

Six7Six7 wrote:my guess:

Musically: Awesome
Vocally: weak
:lol: :thumb:

I love this guy.

Every now and then.

perkana

#52 Post by perkana » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:20 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
poppyman8181 wrote:Jane's recorded Sympathy for the Devil for the season finale!!!!
Heh, one more thing they share in common with Guns n' Roses:

I wonder who copied who :conf:

perkana

#53 Post by perkana » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:21 pm

bman wrote:IMO Sympathy is the greatest rock song ever. So to have an updated studio version by my favorite rock band ever...yea that's cool!
I wish I had your enthusiasm :heart:

CaseyContrarian

#54 Post by CaseyContrarian » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:15 pm

I remember an interview with Dave in '90 or '91 where he was complaining that on their first record he was playing a song by "a band I fucking hate."

sinep

#55 Post by sinep » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:47 am

CaseyContrarian wrote:I remember an interview with Dave in '90 or '91 where he was complaining that on their first record he was playing a song by "a band I fucking hate."
maybe dave loves the velvet underground and rolling stones, but has always hated jane's addiction?

trevor ayer

#56 Post by trevor ayer » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:43 pm

oh great ... nu jane RAPES yet another classic xxx track :no:

yup dave hated the stones and didn't eric hate the dead, and walked off when they tried to do the ripple cover live?

CaseyContrarian

#57 Post by CaseyContrarian » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:24 pm

trevor ayer wrote:oh great ... nu jane RAPES yet another classic xxx track :no:

yup dave hated the stones and didn't eric hate the dead, and walked off when they tried to do the ripple cover live?
In the liners for Deadicated, Eric makes a pretty convincing case for liking the Dead. There may be something in the Whores book to back that up as well... obviously, he wasn't as much of a Deadhead as Dave and Perk, tho.

blackula

#58 Post by blackula » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:31 pm

On the next studio album they will include a studio version of 1% with Peter Hook on bass. They will then ask him to join the band. He will decline. Chaney will get brought back in for the tour.

Jasper

#59 Post by Jasper » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:57 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote:
trevor ayer wrote:oh great ... nu jane RAPES yet another classic xxx track :no:

In the liners for Deadicated, Eric makes a pretty convincing case for liking the Dead. There may be something in the Whores book to back that up as well... obviously, he wasn't as much of a Deadhead as Dave and Perk, tho.
Yeah, Eric was a Dead fan. You've got your info screwed up. He's never been a big fan of Led Zeppelin, especially their subject matter, so I think it was annoying for him when reviewers back in the day acted like Jane's what such a Zep clone and completely missed the heavy Post-Punk influence and so on. Maybe you're thinking of Zeppelin.

I'd actually peg Perry as the least Dead-friendly member of the band. He's never shown any serious interest in performing Ripple, and didn't want it on Kettle Whistle when Dave did was in favor of it. It was used as filler on Rev, but I don't think you can read anything into that - it was available so WB used it. Perry's never been able to get the words right either, as shown in the aborted 1991(?) live version and in the little Ninja vignette below, where he doesn't make an effort at the words (but is at least a good sport about it):

trevor ayer

#60 Post by trevor ayer » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:46 am

i could be wrong but i thought that when ripple came out that eric was not thrilled about the dead .. and he chose not to participate when dave perry and steve made a short attempt at ripple live back in the old days .. funny cuz whole lotta love and ripple are 2 live songs with like zero bass on the recordings .. must be some wierd karma thing going on

trevor ayer

#61 Post by trevor ayer » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:51 am

wasn't sympathy the last song ever recorded by gnr with slash? .. we can only hope they share that in common with janes too :neutral:

maybe perry will come out with his own lil chineese democracy soon with only hired musicians .. and tour other contries avoiding america and the inevitable fan hatred that comes from touring with no original members .. it'll be called etty's democracy

intertwoven

#62 Post by intertwoven » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:23 am

Jasper wrote:Yeah, Eric was a Dead fan. You've got your info screwed up.
He was a fan back in high school, but by the time of Jane's, he was over it. He somehow got roped into writing the blurb for Ripple's liner notes, and being the classy guy he is, said nice things about the song. (I remember this from an old interview, possibly an Ask Eric from the old Janes Xine.)

Hype

#63 Post by Hype » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:27 am

trevor ayer wrote:wasn't sympathy the last song ever recorded by gnr with slash? .. we can only hope they share that in common with janes too :neutral:

maybe perry will come out with his own lil chineese democracy soon with only hired musicians .. and tour other contries avoiding america and the inevitable fan hatred that comes from touring with no original members .. it'll be called etty's democracy
That's more or less what Satellite Party was... I saw them perform once, and the highlight was a laptop-backing-track version of Stop!. :neutral:

brian817

#64 Post by brian817 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:48 pm

trevor ayer wrote:wasn't sympathy the last song ever recorded by gnr with slash?
I believe so.

JOEinPHX

#65 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:04 pm

trevor ayer wrote:
maybe perry will come out with his own lil chineese democracy soon with only hired musicians .. it'll be called etty's democracy
You mean Satellite Party?

Hype

#66 Post by Hype » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:23 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
trevor ayer wrote:
maybe perry will come out with his own lil chineese democracy soon with only hired musicians .. it'll be called etty's democracy
You mean Satellite Party?
That's what I said. :neutral:

Jasper

#67 Post by Jasper » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:10 pm

trevor ayer wrote:i could be wrong but i thought that when ripple came out that eric was not thrilled about the dead .. and he chose not to participate when dave perry and steve made a short attempt at ripple live back in the old days .. funny cuz whole lotta love and ripple are 2 live songs with like zero bass on the recordings .. must be some wierd karma thing going on
Not to linger on this for too long, but I don't think Eric hated the Dead or anything just because he had passed his teenage Dead phase. Eric wasn't forced to write those notes, whether or not he was blase about doing it. I'm willing to read any direct quotes from Eric regarding Ripple, outside of the liner notes. When JA half-played Ripple live all those years ago, it was the final song of what may have been their longest show ever. It was unplanned, unrehearsed, and Avery may have already left the stage. In any case, what Dave began to play was not the JA arrangement of Ripple, but the Grateful Dead version, and that is an important difference.

The care taken in creating the Jane's Addiction sudio recording of Ripple is evident. This is no simple cover. Ripple required JA instrumentalists to work closely with one another, for the rhythm section of JA's cover of Ripple is NOT based only upon Ripple, but rather mostly upon The Grateful Dead tune "(So Much for) The Other One", a song with prominent bass guitar. (see below):

Even when playing the changes from Ripple, the rhythm of the JA version continues to be that of "The Other One". This use of The Dead's "The Other One" is especially evident at the beginning of JA's cover, and even more so in the ending section, where, after the music drops out for a time, leaving only Perry's voice hanging in the air, the band actually returns and straight-out plays an extended section of "The Other One" (see JA version at 3:37):

That is not all, for after playing "The Other One" for a spell, Dave, who's been improvising in the manner of Jerry Garcia, then begins to interpolate the main riff of The Dead's "Bird Song" (see below), suggesting the method in which the Dead would slowly morph one song into another while playing live. In all, three Grateful Dead songs were used to create JA's cover of Ripple. It is exquisitely played and cleverly crafted.

kv

#68 Post by kv » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:08 am

nice insight, i never knew that

tvrec

#69 Post by tvrec » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:57 am

Jasper wrote:
trevor ayer wrote:i could be wrong but i thought that when ripple came out that eric was not thrilled about the dead .. and he chose not to participate when dave perry and steve made a short attempt at ripple live back in the old days .. funny cuz whole lotta love and ripple are 2 live songs with like zero bass on the recordings .. must be some wierd karma thing going on
Not to linger on this for too long, but I don't think Eric hated the Dead or anything just because he had passed his teenage Dead phase. Eric wasn't forced to write those notes, whether or not he was blase about doing it. I'm willing to read any direct quotes from Eric regarding Ripple, outside of the liner notes. When JA half-played Ripple live all those years ago, it was the final song of what may have been their longest show ever. It was unplanned, unrehearsed, and Avery may have already left the stage. In any case, what Dave began to play was not the JA arrangement of Ripple, but the Grateful Dead version, and that is an important difference.

The care taken in creating the Jane's Addiction sudio recording of Ripple is evident.
Jasper, I don't know if Mike visits here but he should ask you to place this info in "his" archives. Really interesting explanation of the arrangement.

BTW, you're spot on with the your assumption that Eric had left the stage when Dave launched into "Ripple" at the Halloween show all those years ago. The show was already effectively over and they were just lingering to show their appreciation.

Jasper

#70 Post by Jasper » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:08 pm

tvrec wrote:
Jasper wrote:

The care taken in creating the Jane's Addiction sudio recording of Ripple is evident.
Jasper, I don't know if Mike visits here but he should ask you to place this info in "his" archives. Really interesting explanation of the arrangement.

BTW, you're spot on with the your assumption that Eric had left the stage when Dave launched into "Ripple" at the Halloween show all those years ago. The show was already effectively over and they were just lingering to show their appreciation.
Well, I checked over at the JA song archive, and it's pretty much got it covered. I guess I'd quibble a bit about the description of the way that "The Other One" is integrated into the arrangement, because it's much more extensive than what's suggested. Like I said, the rhythm of the entire track is from "The Other One" and EA is actually playing modified bass parts from that song throughout the entire recording, which is very plain to hear once you know that's the source. Nevertheless, it's still a pretty good overall description. Of course Mike's completely welcome to throw my post in his archive. I don't really go to any other JA related sites anymore. I used to be going to ja dot org, and Pete's site, but I've only got the energy to read/post in one place these days. :noclue:

Easton

#71 Post by Easton » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:07 am

creep
Site Admin

#72 Post by creep » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:31 am

Easton wrote:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009TZ ... lmusrep-20

30 sec sample of the cover
weird

guysmiley

#73 Post by guysmiley » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:55 am

Sounds like a cover of their cover. I don't know. I know its only 30 secs, but I have a feeling I'm going to be disappointed. I love the XXX version so much I don't think I'll appreciate this as much. Seeing it live again may be cool.

Larry B.

#74 Post by Larry B. » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:46 am

creep wrote:
Easton wrote:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009TZ ... lmusrep-20

30 sec sample of the cover
weird
Horrible.

When will reviewers start bashing Perry like he deserves to be?

clickie

#75 Post by clickie » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:04 am

freebird
Last edited by clickie on Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.