The official "The Great Escape Artist" thread

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Deconstruction

Re: The official "The Great Escape Artist" thread

#301 Post by Deconstruction » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:09 pm

Can somebody talk to me "privately" about a RAR or ZIP of the legit leak?

Hype

#302 Post by Hype » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:12 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:So the album is 38 minutes and 54 seconds.

Isn't that about length of Ritual's side 2? :lol:
Yeah. Three Days -> Classic Girl = approx. 31 minutes.

But Nothing's Shocking's only 45 minutes, and that's with two 6+ minute long tracks.

Deconstruction

#303 Post by Deconstruction » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:16 pm

Just did a Twitter search, found some links...let's see if it sounds like a non stream rip...

Edit: Sounds like the real deal!

JOEinPHX

#304 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:34 pm

Deconstruction wrote:Just did a Twitter search, found some links...let's see if it sounds like a non stream rip...

*cough cough*

Tyler Durden

#305 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:43 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Deconstruction wrote:Just did a Twitter search, found some links...let's see if it sounds like a non stream rip...

*cough cough*

imail724

#306 Post by imail724 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:50 pm

The site I got it from is now reporting it may be a transcode afterall. Prolly won't be able to tell until an official or scene release though.

JOEinPHX

#307 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:54 pm

imail724 wrote:The site I got it from is now reporting it may be a transcode afterall. Prolly won't be able to tell until an official or scene release though.
God damn it.

These pirates need to get their heads out of their asses and be honest about what they are sharing.

imail724

#308 Post by imail724 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:35 pm

Yup, it was a transcode and was removed from what.cd. Ah well, at least it'll hold me over until I get the cd (which I just decided to pre-order thanks to the stream/leak :wave: )

LJF

#309 Post by LJF » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:36 pm

so finally got a chance to listen, first thought I'm not that into it. I'm giving it another listen to see if it grows on me more. A lot of times it takes a few listens for me to really get into it. I hope that is the case. But it seems to polished. I don't know shit about the recording process, but I like it to sound a little more raw.

The songs are short & radio friendly. Truly nothing shocking on this one.

imail724

#310 Post by imail724 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:39 pm

LJF wrote:Truly nothing shocking on this one.

LJF

#311 Post by LJF » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:00 pm

ok so turned it off half way thru the second listen. Will come back to it later. It just isn't grabbing me by the balls and saying listen to this now motherfucker. It just seems like standard fare.

JOEinPHX

#312 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:53 pm

One large piece of praise for the band...

This is an album.

It's not a bunch of songs that are all over the place. Even though some are stylistically different, they all fit together in a way that the album can be listened to from start to finish. It's excellent how it all works together.

jptm

#313 Post by jptm » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:55 pm

i've listened a few times today, and although i think it's a fairly good output for this band, it could be better. but it seems a little rushed. dave's guitar work is stellar; he's obviously been listening to some older stuff for inspiration.

and for some reason, i like IF & ETTL more than i did than when they were first released months ago.

but it's just not what i remember jane's being/sounding like anymore; or perhaps this is album would've fared much better if it were made right after strays, instead of waiting for 8 years. kind of like an old piece of pie; it still might be good, but would've been much better if it were fresh. still, i give credit to them for even getting this album finished; though i think their overall goal was not to create something 'magical'--i think they'd have put out anything just to have another album--but just to continue on & try to sustain what they have left in the rock 'n roll 'world'... they gotta pay the bills like the rest of us.

still, TGEA is growing a little more on me. maybe it will continue, or just fade away like strays did. still dunno... :hs:

Artemis

#314 Post by Artemis » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:06 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:One large piece of praise for the band...

This is an album.

It's not a bunch of songs that are all over the place. Even though some are stylistically different, they all fit together in a way that the album can be listened to from start to finish. It's excellent how it all works together.
I agree.

The last song, Words Right Out of my Mouth is suitably placed at the end. It's different from the other songs so it seems appropriate for the flow. That song is my 3rd least favourite, so its placement is perfect for me.

Diabolik

#315 Post by Diabolik » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:12 pm

Truth
Six7Six7 wrote:One large piece of praise for the band...

This is an album.

CaseyContrarian

#316 Post by CaseyContrarian » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:18 pm

jptm wrote:And for some reason, i like IF & ETTL more than i did than when they were first released months ago.
Indeed.

Larry B.

#317 Post by Larry B. » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:58 pm

Yes, it definitely sounds like an album, which is not an easy thing to do.

Dave's work is pretty remarkable.

I'm currently listening to it on earphones for the first time, and it sounds great. Still not too excited by some songs, but I'm definitely liking the Underground/End to the Lies opener.

AdmitI

#318 Post by AdmitI » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:06 pm

Just downloaded the whole album... drove around and listened to it from start to finish. I gotta say... I love it! The music is great, lyrics are good and it has a nice balance moodier to mellow songs on it. Igive TGEA a solid 8/10

pentwaterzoo

#319 Post by pentwaterzoo » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:22 pm

AdmitI wrote:Just downloaded the whole album... drove around and listened to it from start to finish. I gotta say... I love it! The music is great, lyrics are good and it has a nice balance moodier to mellow songs on it. Igive TGEA a solid 8/10
Agree. Very solid. Not one song I totally dislike. And IR has definitely grown on me - didn't do much for me at first. Although I think I like the previous version of ETTL a little better. They added that little extra to the opening bass line which IMO isn't needed. I'll bet they re-recorded it with Chaney.

ThenSheDid

Re: The official "The Great Escape Artist" Review

#320 Post by ThenSheDid » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:57 pm

1. Underground - 4 - Musically this is a very good song, and Perry's vocals are above average (Sounds like Chaney is on bass for this one.)
2. End to the Lies - 3.5 - Has a nice unique groove. It was almost a very good song if Perry didn't have to mention the word 'foreskin...'
3. Curiosity Kills - 4 - Really like this song musically, and it's about as good as Perry's lyrics get on this album. Reminds me a lot of Filter.
4. Irresistible Force (Met The Immovable Object) - 2.5 - Really groovy but Perry's lyrics get pretty corny on this one, Pretty cheesy concept, too.
5. I'll Hit You Back - 3 - Nice little jam, but it's nothing extraordinary.
6. Twisted Tales - 2.5 - This song is spot on musically but the lyrics lack so much creativity it's hard to enjoy it fully.
7. Ultimate Reason - 2.5 - Great musically once again but Perry had to cheese it up with some very straight-forward lyrics.
8. Splash A Little Water On It - 2.5 - The song title says it all, but it actually sounds pretty awesome for the first fifteen seconds.
9. Broken People - 3 - This song had a chance to be pretty awesome but Perry's lyrics surprisingly bring the song down.
10. Words Right out of My Mouth - 2 - I don't need to give much of an explanation for why this song is bad.
I'd give it 3/5 stars. The album was Above Average. Musically this album was very good, but I only wish Perry could have matched on that. His lyrical concepts lacked creativity and so did his lyrics. Although, it was a new and refreshing sound.

Larry B.

#321 Post by Larry B. » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:32 pm

After about 10 listens, between laptop, sweet speakers and earphones, here's my iPod stars rating:

No stars: Disgusted and offended by the song.
1 star: Pretty much a pile of shit. I'm disgusted, but not offended.
2 stars: Pretty lame. A song I would avoid.
3 stars: Meh. Average. If it comes up, I might skip it or listen to it, depending on my mood.
4 stars: Good song, I would gladly listen to it a few times a day.
5 stars: Awesome. I would actually look for this song in the library to listen to it. I want to learn how to play it. I might feel the urge to listen to it.

1. Underground: 3
2. End to the Lies: 4.5 (4 in my iPod, but if I could, I'd give it a 4.5.) I really enjoy the bitterness of this song. Plus, it mentions us... so that's pretty fucking cool.
3. Curiosity Kills: 3
4. Irresistible Force: 3. Epic & catchy pop-rock chorus.
5. I'll Hit You Back: 2.5 (2 in my iPod.) The beginning and the verses are terrible and the chorus is pretty good.
6. Twisted Tales: 3.5 (4 in my iPod.) I am just in fucking love with the "Uh... sometimes I got lucky I..." melody. It squeezes my heart. The bridge right after the 2nd chorus is terrible, specially drum-wise. The little sounds in the background sound like something from "All That You Can't Leave Behind".
7. Ultimate Reason: 4. Very good song, actually. The beginning reminds me of Melancholy Mechanics, the lyrics aren't great, but they could be worse. And as Hype said, that little Eastern vibe after Perry sings "I've got a reason......." is awesome. It reminds me of Faith No More's "Mouth to Mouth". Everything fits in that little section, right there. Great guitar work. And the little melody Perry sings is just what the section needs.
8. Splash a Little Water on it: 1. Very, very bad. Corny and aside from Dave's guitar, nothing makes sense. Doesn't feel like a finished song. A bad attempt to an 80s power ballad.
9. Broken People: 2. U2 is all over this song (before it kicks in with more power). Bass, melodies, drums, even bits of the guitar. Nothing special to love nor hate.
10. Words Right out of My Mouth: 2. It feels like a cover. Along with "Splash a Little Water on it", the most generic 80s-type of music. Did Duff participate in the creation of either of these 2 songs?

So... out of 50 possible stars, TGEA receives 28.5; this, in turn, translates to 5.7/10, which is slightly superior to the 5/10 rating I gave the album this morning.

So, there you go. I don't feel disappointed anymore. I would gladly see Jane's in Lolla Chile 2012 and sing along some of these tunes.

:wiggle:

intertwoven

#322 Post by intertwoven » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:47 pm

after a listen and a half (and a couple drinks), I gave in and pre-ordered. you win, fellas! now please (a) have some balls with the live setlists and (b) don't drag out a follow-up album for years, just bust it out. You owe me!
:drink:

intertwoven

#323 Post by intertwoven » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:14 pm

it's definitely Dave and Perry's album, though. only time I noticed the bass was the part in Curiosity Kills that rips off Price I Pay. Never noticed the drums. come on, unleash the beast!

JOEinPHX

#324 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:29 pm

intertwoven wrote:it's definitely Dave and Perry's album, though. only time I noticed the bass was the part in Curiosity Kills that rips off Price I Pay. Never noticed the drums. come on, unleash the beast!
But even Dave's guitar work was "minimal"

There aren't any really catchy riffs, he just went for atmosphere.

Maybe Perk held back because that's how the music is.

JOEinPHX

#325 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:32 pm

I want to know how Dave's relapse fit into all of this.

On Dark Matter in the last month or so he said he was at 90-something days sober.

So he was using during the recording. i don't know how he did it. Because everything he came up with was incredible, and he seems to have done ALOT of work.