Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Tyler Durden

Re: The official "The Great Escape Artist" thread

#26 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:10 am

:blah:

imail724

#27 Post by imail724 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:22 am

Can someone explain to me, or at least point me in the direction of an explanation, of the situation between Perry and Martyn?

Pandemonium

#28 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:45 am

Tyler Durden wrote:

So IF is being called the "first" single? What do they regard End To The Lies, as some sort of non album B-Side or something now?

Tyler Durden

#29 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:11 am

imail724 wrote:Can someone explain to me, or at least point me in the direction of an explanation, of the situation between Perry and Martyn?
In the book "Whores", the bad blood between Perry and Martyn is discussed.

Martyn also stated in an online interview that he would never work with Perry again.

creep
Site Admin

#30 Post by creep » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:13 am

which makes it really odd that he showed up to perry's bday party in vegas a few years ago and played with him. :hs:

Tyler Durden

#31 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:16 am

creep wrote:which makes it really odd that he showed up to perry's bday party in vegas a few years ago and played with him. :hs:
Yeah, I don't get it either. :noclue:

According to accounts in Whores, Perry publicly humiliated Martyn and shoed him off stage in front of an audience.

creep
Site Admin

#32 Post by creep » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:17 am

from the world famous hokahey interview
DA: Speaking of Jane’s and getting fired, would you be willing to elaborate as to what happened?

ML: Okay, I got fired in Japan at the Fiji Festival. I was totally blindsided. I really had no idea it was about to happen. I think maybe even Perry only had a slight inclination he was going to do it until it happened. Ultimately, I can tell you it was not done in a nice way. I can tell you that. It sucked (laughs)! What hurt the most was losing some great friends. I can understand if things don’t work out but the friendships that got damaged because of the way it was done made it miserable.

DA: Can you say why you were fired exactly, or what they told you?

ML: I wish I could tell you but I have thought so much about it and still can’t figure it out.

DA: I read somewhere that drugs was a factor, but I didn’t think that was going on in 2002.

ML: Drugs weren’t a factor. I’ve been clean for 8 ½ years.

DA: I also read that Bob Ezrin had something to do with it.

ML: You know what, I don’t know. My guess is that Bob Ezrin had something to do with it but I really don’t know. I never talked to Perry again after that. I never got his version. Basically at the time he said something about there being nothing but feedback coming from my side of the stage every time we played a show. But I’m a bass player, and there is no feedback. I thought “Wait a second, that’s nonsense. That’s not true.”

DA: All in all though you don’t sound at all bitter about the experience.

ML: I’ve been bitter long enough. There must have been something not working.

JOEinPHX

#33 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:14 am

Tyler Durden wrote:

Yeah they are really over-intellectualizing something that was formerly primal and drug-fueled

Just stop it. Write some fucked up songs and give it some texture musically. Boom.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#34 Post by Hokahey » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:16 am

Tyler Durden wrote:

I liked this. Perk has always had an great way of describing Jane's and their music. I think he gets it. I think Dave kind of gets it. and then there's Perry...

Tyler Durden

#35 Post by Tyler Durden » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:35 am

hokahey wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:

I liked this. Perk has always had an great way of describing Jane's and their music. I think he gets it. I think Dave kind of gets it. and then there's Perry...
To me, Perk always sounds like a used car salesman (a la David Lee Roth) when he talks about Jane's Addiction. Did you ever hear him "sell" Strays in '03? "Yeah man, the kids today want short, concise songs, so that's what we're giving them. We cut out all the fat, man!" Shameful. :no:

Dave is the same way. Three years ago, he was saying that it's not Jane's Addiction without Eric Avery on bass. These days he's saying that Jane's Addiction is so strong that it doesn't even matter who plays bass with them. :no:

Eric is obviously the most articulate of all of them and can really convey what the band did and what they meant to people. Perry has proven that he has the ability to speak like that (to a degree) but 99.9% of the time, he couldn't be bothered; he'd rather sell Lollapalooza. And his actions are even worse.

Bandit72

#36 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:37 am

Dave is the same way. Three years ago, he was saying that it's not Jane's Addiction without Eric Avery on bass. These days he's saying that Jane's Addiction is so strong that it doesn't even matter who plays bass with them. :no:
Course he's going to say that. He's going to sell Janes for whatever the current situation. Shame he doesn't realise people don't forget.

nausearockpig

#37 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:49 pm

Bandit72 wrote:
Course he's going to say that. He's going to sell Janes for whatever the current situation. Shame he doesn't realise people don't forget.
most people out there forget, or don't care.. it's only us, as a group that cares about the "real Jane's Addiction".. mind you, if you were to ask a random selection of general music fans what the "real Jane's Addiction" was, they'd probably say as long as Dave and Perry were in the band, it was the real deal.... singers and guitar players..... that's all that counts...

on a different, yet similar note, I wonder what TOOL fans think of the fact Paul D'Amor no longer being in TOOL... he was the original bassist from Opiate, thru Undertow and demoed the Aenima songs... hmm.... maybe for another topic..

CaseyContrarian

#38 Post by CaseyContrarian » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:03 pm

Good question. Can't speculate on the answer, as I am unable to speak for all Tool fans (some real meatheads in that bunch, but also some intellects), but I will say I've often wondered what they would've sounded like if EA had taken the gig as it was offered.

nausearockpig

#39 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:12 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote:Good question. Can't speculate on the answer, as I am unable to speak for all Tool fans (some real meatheads in that bunch, but also some intellects), but I will say I've often wondered what they would've sounded like if EA had taken the gig as it was offered.
Was he really? wow!

I saw on that Metallica movie 'Some Kind Of Monster' he tried out for the slot but didn't know about TOOL.. that woulda been fucking rad.. maybe... TOOL is a lot more metal than Jane's ever was..

sighing wistfully....

CaseyContrarian

#40 Post by CaseyContrarian » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:30 pm

I think he would've been a great influence on Tool in terms of the tribal/psychedelic stuff. He would've had to drop all the punk-funk, though.

Juana

#41 Post by Juana » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:26 pm

nausearockpig wrote:
Bandit72 wrote:
most people out there forget, or don't care.. it's only us, as a group that cares about the "real Jane's Addiction".. mind you, if you were to ask a random selection of general music fans what the "real Jane's Addiction" was, they'd probably say as long as Dave and Perry were in the band, it was the real deal.... singers and guitar players..... that's all that counts...

on a different, yet similar note, I wonder what TOOL fans think of the fact Paul D'Amor no longer being in TOOL... he was the original bassist from Opiate, thru Undertow and demoed the Aenima songs... hmm.... maybe for another topic..
Its a different vibe since the songs weren't all built around Paul, where as in Janes everything was built around Eric's bass. Would have been interesting to hear Eric in Metallica or Tool though just to hear that side of him.

Tyler Durden

#42 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:30 pm

I just read on Blabbermouth that the album has been pushed back a week, so it is now set to be released on October 4th.

cashinnowperry

#43 Post by cashinnowperry » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:36 pm

And here we go. It's gonna turn into Chinese Democracy at this rate.

nausearockpig

#44 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:42 pm

Juana wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:
Bandit72 wrote:

Its a different vibe since the songs weren't all built around Paul, where as in Janes everything was built around Eric's bass. Would have been interesting to hear Eric in Metallica or Tool though just to hear that side of him.
Agree re the vibe -

I think there's a very stark difference between the pre and post Paul songs but I also think that there's a very big difference between Opiate & Undertow, between Undertow and Aenima and also between Opiate and Aenima.. I can't really see a progression from Opiate to Undertow to Aenima.. if anything Undertow sticks out as the dirgier [is that a word?] bunch of songs... where as Opiate is the rawkier and Aenima the more "introspective-ey" songs..

It would have been very nice to see EA in one of those bands..

nausearockpig

#45 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:43 pm

cashinnowperry wrote:And here we go. It's gonna turn into Chinese Democracy at this rate.

lol probably will be about as good as CD too....

fuck that record was a bucket of steaming turds...

cashinnowperry

#46 Post by cashinnowperry » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:45 pm

nausearockpig wrote:
cashinnowperry wrote:And here we go. It's gonna turn into Chinese Democracy at this rate.

lol probably will be about as good as CD too....

fuck that record was a bucket of steaming turds...
Definitely. It's funny you should use that terminology, one of the DJs on my local station hates GNR and constantly refers to Axl as a "flaming turd"...

nausearockpig

#47 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:48 pm

yeah I came to the same conclusion after reading Slash's book... I know it's only one side of the story but I really think that something broke in Axl's head one day and that was it.

shame really...

Juana

#48 Post by Juana » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:00 pm

Yeah Slash's book is a good one but there are a lot of stories and Axl probably believes his side to be true but he basically lost his mind.

Bandit72

#49 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:55 am

nausearockpig wrote:
Juana wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:
Bandit72 wrote:

Agree re the vibe -

I think there's a very stark difference between the pre and post Paul songs but I also think that there's a very big difference between Opiate & Undertow, between Undertow and Aenima and also between Opiate and Aenima.. I can't really see a progression from Opiate to Undertow to Aenima.. if anything Undertow sticks out as the dirgier [is that a word?] bunch of songs... where as Opiate is the rawkier and Aenima the more "introspective-ey" songs..

It would have been very nice to see EA in one of those bands..
I would have liked to have seen him in Tool over Metallica. Don't get me wrong I like Metallica, a lot, but I don't think it's a band for Eric. I'm glad he never got that gig. Maybe it would have been a similar situation for him re "James and Lars v Eric" like it was "Perry v Eric". Not sure if we would have seen the creative world of Eric Avery in Metallica. It seems to me that band is like Tomato Ketchup. Has all these special ingredients and you don't ever fuck with them. That's why they succeed.

Mescal

#50 Post by Mescal » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:20 am

Eric A isn't tool material.