The official "The Great Escape Artist" thread

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
CaseyContrarian

Re: The official "The Great Escape Artist" thread

#101 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:06 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:So, it has been confirmed by Dave that there will be songs on The Great Escape Artist that they wrote with Duff.
Where was it confirmed?

CaseyContrarian

#102 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:09 pm

Ah, OK. The other thread.

cashinnowperry

#103 Post by cashinnowperry » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:33 pm

Not sure how I feel about this. I wonder if the thought process was "Man, we laid down some quality material with Duff, let's include it!" or "Shit, deadline is coming, already bumped it back, throw the Duff shit in!"

Either way, buckle up for some rawk. I know this community is all about that shit.

Tyler Durden

#104 Post by Tyler Durden » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:36 pm

cashinnowperry wrote:Not sure how I feel about this. I wonder if the thought process was "Man, we laid down some quality material with Duff, let's include it!" or "Shit, deadline is coming, already bumped it back, throw the Duff shit in!"

Either way, buckle up for some rawk. I know this community is all about that shit.
It is? :hs:

cashinnowperry

#105 Post by cashinnowperry » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:40 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
cashinnowperry wrote:Not sure how I feel about this. I wonder if the thought process was "Man, we laid down some quality material with Duff, let's include it!" or "Shit, deadline is coming, already bumped it back, throw the Duff shit in!"

Meant to be sarcastic there, looks like I did a poor job. I remember some threads from the brief Duff's Addiction era about how much that "genre" sucks, is generic, bland, Panic Channel, etc...

Tyler Durden

#106 Post by Tyler Durden » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:46 pm

cashinnowperry wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:

Meant to be sarcastic there, looks like I did a poor job. I remember some threads from the brief Duff's Addiction era about how much that "genre" sucks, is generic, bland, Panic Channel, etc...
I don't have as a big a problem with Duff being in Jane's as I do with Eric not being in Jane's; if that makes any sense. Duff seems like a cool/nice guy...I don't see how he makes the band and their output worse than Chaney. I think TGEA will be whatever it is going to be, regardless of who is on bass (barring Eric Avery, of course).

cashinnowperry

#107 Post by cashinnowperry » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:51 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
I don't have as a big a problem with Duff being in Jane's as I do with Eric not being in Jane's; if that makes any sense. Duff seems like a cool/nice guy...I don't see how he makes the band and their output worse than Chaney. I think TGEA will be whatever it is going to be, regardless of who is on bass (barring Eric Avery, of course).
Agreed. I really do like Duff, I'm just not overly hopeful in regards to what came out of those sessions, but maybe I'll be surprised. Or maybe not. As you could probably guess from my avatar, I'm with you on EA.

Watching/listening to current Jane's is like watching a train wreck, and I just can't take my eyes off of it.

Tyler Durden

#108 Post by Tyler Durden » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:53 pm

cashinnowperry wrote:
Watching/listening to current Jane's is like watching a train wreck, and I just can't take my eyes off of it.
Yup. :lol:

JOEinPHX

#109 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:21 pm

i disagree.

it's more like watching a demolition derby containing 3 well-taken-care-of muscle cars and one rusting pile of junk.

You can't take your eyes away, but you're horrified when the piece of junk sputters along and runs right into the pristine machines.

creep
Site Admin

#110 Post by creep » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:28 pm

if perry had the voice of 25yrs ago would everything be ok? it's not his fault he can't sing close to the old days. it happens to a lot of singers. i don't hold that against him. what i do hold against him is perryetty, his clothes, his ego, his lyrics, his setlists, his corporate gigs and festivals, his wife onstage. i guess that is enough.

JOEinPHX

#111 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:35 pm

creep wrote:if perry had the voice of 25yrs ago would everything be ok? it's not his fault he can't sing close to the old days. it happens to a lot of singers. i don't hold that against him. what i do hold against him is perryetty, his clothes, his ego, his lyrics, his setlists, his corporate gigs and festivals, his wife onstage. i guess that is enough.
no, everything wouldn't be ok.

It's everything you said. The ego. the lyrics. the setlists. the clothes and the dancing are really just the worst. not sure when he went with the "if you can't be weird, then be flamboyant" thing, but it really clashes with the 3 dudes rocking the fuck out behind him.

Juana

#112 Post by Juana » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:08 pm

I think basically he just didn't age the way we all thought he should in regards to Perry. It just sucks that he's dragging the carcass and hollowed out shell of Jane's with him while he does what he does. As much as I want more music from them I would rather they just not make another album if Eric or Watt/Martyn wasn't involved in it.

trevor ayer

#113 Post by trevor ayer » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:39 am

meh

i don't think his shitty voice has to do with age at all .. more likely its because he doesn't bother to keep it strong .. even more likely is that he went from this wild live banshee blow out the microphone wail LIVE, to trying to sound like he did on NS and RDLH .. which has that gravely voice produced sound .. each record sounds more studio ish and less like a live in your face punk singer .. the down tuning i dont think it was neccessary .. i think he can hit the high notes but he thinks his voice sounds bigger and more lush in the lower range .. and of course he's changed all his melodies to suit the sound of his voice instead of the actual songs .. a guy as rich as perry could keep his voice in shape if he wanted to .. i think he just sees the gigs as a party and not a perfomance .. and he has no motivation to sell the band to the crowd with a great show .. they are there because of old music .. janes does not have to win over an audience anymore .. the urgency is gone

leviticus

#114 Post by leviticus » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:05 am

shouldn't the cover art and track list be announced soon? I'm really anticipating the artwork. It sets the tone for the album. The Strays cover killed it for me, maybe even more so than the actual music. It solidified the fact that they were just making an average Rock album.

imail724

#115 Post by imail724 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:42 pm

Just came here to post the same thing. Assuming the album doesn't get delayed further, at this rate it'll leak before we even know the names of the songs.

JOEinPHX

#116 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:44 pm

i am guessing it will leak about 2 weeks before. so we have some time to wait yet.

Juana

#117 Post by Juana » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:20 am

That's if our boys there don't push it back to the first quarter of 2013.

CaseyContrarian

#118 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:37 am

Juana wrote:That's if our boys there don't push it back to the first quarter of 2013.
I need them to rip the Band-Aid off quick. If this record is deleted beyond the Oct. drop, JA is dead to me. OK, deader. :banghead:

Larry B.

#119 Post by Larry B. » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:45 am

CaseyContrarian wrote: If this record is deleted beyond the Oct. drop, JA is dead to me.
This record will be deleted from most computers/iPods a few minutes after it's leaked, that's fo sho.

JOEinPHX

#120 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:00 pm

Larry B. wrote:
CaseyContrarian wrote: If this record is deleted beyond the Oct. drop, JA is dead to me.
This record will be deleted from most computers/iPods a few minutes after it's leaked, that's fo sho.
:lol:

Deconstruction

#121 Post by Deconstruction » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:26 pm

I hope Top Dog and Oh Magic make the album :bigrin:

Tyler Durden

#122 Post by Tyler Durden » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:28 pm

Deconstruction wrote:I hope Top Dog and Oh Magic make the album :bigrin:
:lol:

CaseyContrarian

#123 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:05 pm

Ha! Well, clearly, I meant "delayed," and autocorrect plus me not paying enough attention produced "deleted." The sentence has multiple layers of truth.

Juana

#124 Post by Juana » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:34 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote:
Juana wrote:That's if our boys there don't push it back to the first quarter of 2013.
I need them to rip the Band-Aid off quick. If this record is deleted beyond the Oct. drop, JA is dead to me. OK, deader. :banghead:
You know its about prolonging the pain and making us suffer as fans. That is part of the "mystique" they have you know... :banghead:

CaseyContrarian

#125 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:17 pm

Juana wrote:
CaseyContrarian wrote:
You know its about prolonging the pain and making us suffer as fans. That is part of the "mystique" they have you know... :banghead:
Might be all the mystique they have left.