Dave Navarro to Host Spike TV's Inkmaster

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
LifeIsLoud

Dave Navarro to Host Spike TV's Inkmaster

#1 Post by LifeIsLoud » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:47 am

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Dave-Navarr ... 36471.aspx

Spike TV has tapped Jane's Addiction guitarist Dave Navarro to host Inkmaster, the first-ever tattoo competition series, TVGuide.com has learned.

The show — executive-produced by Charlie Corwin and Jay Peterson, the team behind LA Ink, Miami Ink and NY Ink — will feature the nation's top tattoo artists competing in challenges to win a $100,000 grand prize and a feature in Inked magazine. The challenges will test the artists' technical proficiency as well as their on-the-spot creativity.

Navarro, who previously co-hosted CBS' Rock Star: INXS and Rock Star: Supernova with Brooke Burke, was a natural choice according to Spike TV President Sharon Levy.

"Dave Navarro is known worldwide for his musical talents, but he's also well-known within in the tattoo community for his incredible body art," Levy said. "Dave's ultimate respect for the art and culture of tattooing makes him perfect for this series."

Besides his hosting duties, Navarro will serve as a judge alongside tattoo experts Chris Nunez (Miami Ink) and Oliver Peck, the owner of Dallas' Elm Street Tattoo and former flame of Kat Von D. The customers' satisfaction with their tattoos will also play a large role in the judging.

Inkmaster is slated to premiere its eight-episode first season in January 2012.

Matov

Re: Dave Navarro to Host Spike TV's Inkmaster

#2 Post by Matov » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:51 am

Romeo

#3 Post by Romeo » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:05 am

:no:

This guy just can't say no can he?

Hokahey
Site Admin

#4 Post by Hokahey » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:23 am

I'll take him doing this over Rockstar any day of the week. This really doesn't bother me at all.

Tyler Durden

#5 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:28 am

So much for a fall tour in support of Jane's Addiction's new album The Great Escape Artist. :lol:

JOEinPHX

#6 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:08 pm

Romeo wrote::no:

This guy just can't say no can he?
i know, right?

i wish Dave would just start a lucrative yearly music festival that he could focus the majority of his time on.

Eric B.

#7 Post by Eric B. » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:42 pm

I don't mind this either. The guy is talented for these kind of things so I guess he really is a natural kinda choice for this. As long as this doesn't interfere with a dutch Jane's show I don't mind.

Romeo

#8 Post by Romeo » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:55 pm

every time he does another reality show it slowly chips away his creds.

Only 8 episodes? That shits been shot already. Which would explain why he had a picture of him & Oliver Peck on Tumblr

creep
Site Admin

#9 Post by creep » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:08 pm

Eric B. wrote:I don't mind this either. The guy is talented for these kind of things
i think dave has horrible tattoos. i'm not a fan of just random tattoos all over people. i guess prefer wen they all tie together somehow.

Tyler Durden

#10 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:09 pm

July 22, 2003: Strays is released.
End of 2003: Jane's Addiction break up (again).
January 2004: Til Death Do Us Part: Carmen and Dave debuts on MTV (7 episodes).

September 27, 2011: The Great Escape Artist is released.
End of 2011: Jane's Addiction break up (again)?
January 2012: InkMaster w/Dave Navarro debuts on Spike TV (8 episodes).

Anyone see the potential pattern here? :hehe:

CaseyContrarian

#11 Post by CaseyContrarian » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:35 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:July 22, 2003: Strays is released.
End of 2003: Jane's Addiction break up (again).
January 2004: Til Death Do Us Part: Carmen and Dave debuts on MTV (7 episodes).

September 27, 2011: The Great Escape Artist is released.
End of 2011: Jane's Addiction break up (again)?
January 2012: InkMaster w/Dave Navarro debuts on Spike TV (8 episodes).

Anyone see the potential pattern here? :hehe:
Sure, but Perry's a reality TV "star" now, too, so maybe it'll play out differently. Nah, probably not.

Matz

#12 Post by Matz » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:58 pm

creep wrote:
Eric B. wrote:I don't mind this either. The guy is talented for these kind of things
i think dave has horrible tattoos. i'm not a fan of just random tattoos all over people. i guess prefer wen they all tie together somehow.
around the time of the relapse tour he had some of the coolest and original and tasteful tattoos but he went over board after that and now it's a mess

Tyler Durden

#13 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:05 pm

Matz wrote:
creep wrote:
around the time of the relapse tour he had some of the coolest and original and tasteful tattoos but he went over board after that and now it's a mess
EXACTLY. :nod:

JOEinPHX

#14 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:09 pm

You guys are joking right?

The pig? The RHCP Fairy? Dave's Tattoos were pretty sparse in 1997 and no better than anything he has gotten since.

Juana

#15 Post by Juana » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:15 am

This doesn't surprise me and its better than what he could be hosting at least this is somewhat interesting to me. Maybe because I have a lot of tattoos myself and it would be nice to see some of the best inking it up on people.

Tyler Durden

#16 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:46 am

Six7Six7 wrote:You guys are joking right?

The pig? The RHCP Fairy? Dave's Tattoos were pretty sparse in 1997 and no better than anything he has gotten since.
I don't see anything wrong with the One Hot Minute fairy. Not sure what the significance of the pig is. I always liked his Klimt tattooes and his "Los Angeles" neck tattoo.

But now, he's just got shit everywhere. Sometimes less is more. :nod:

Romeo

#17 Post by Romeo » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:00 am

yea Dave's tattoo placements do kind of suck. They are all over the place with no tying them together.

Tyler Durden

#18 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:04 am

Romeo wrote:yea Dave's tattoo placements do kind of suck. They are all over the place with no tying them together.
I don't mind the random tattoo look if it is done right (for example, Henry Rollins)...but at some point, the person has to stop. Dave has way too many now. It's not aesthetically pleasing.

kv

#19 Post by kv » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:43 am

to you...but they are his if he is happy who cares :bored:

Romeo

#20 Post by Romeo » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:52 am

I have no problem if someone wants to completely cover themselves in tattoo's but to me IMO there should be some "flow"...like feng shui. :lol: You know what I mean??

creep
Site Admin

#21 Post by creep » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:41 am

Romeo wrote:I have no problem if someone wants to completely cover themselves in tattoo's but to me IMO there should be some "flow"...like feng shui. :lol: You know what I mean??
i think that is what i was trying to say. :dunce:

Warped

#22 Post by Warped » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:08 am

I remember on DM when Dave said that in the past tattoos were some kind of thing that kept people away from you. Like a second skin. Nowadays it seems to be an open invitation to anybody to ask or talk to the ones tattood - and he pretty much hates that.
It's his thing, i have no problem with his tattoos (and some of them are awesome like the one of his mother and of course the OHM fairy..haha) but i am a tatto fan in general and so whatever. Seems the right show for him anyway and after all that endless Jane's recording stuff he kinda deserves some spare time i think :bigrin:

Tyler Durden

#23 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:18 am

Warped wrote:I remember on DM when Dave said that in the past tattoos were some kind of thing that kept people away from you. Like a second skin. Nowadays it seems to be an open invitation to anybody to ask or talk to the ones tattood - and he pretty much hates that.
Yeah, public perception of tattooes has greatly changed. They used to scare people...now they are a license to strike up conversation. Tattooes don't exactly represent rebellion or misfits anymore.

Matz

#24 Post by Matz » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:34 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
Warped wrote:I remember on DM when Dave said that in the past tattoos were some kind of thing that kept people away from you. Like a second skin. Nowadays it seems to be an open invitation to anybody to ask or talk to the ones tattood - and he pretty much hates that.
Yeah, public perception of tattooes has greatly changed. They used to scare people...now they are a license to strike up conversation. Tattooes don't exactly represent rebellion or misfits anymore.
no on the contrary almost. Well, it depends on what you get of course. If you just go to a tattoo shop and pick out an arm band that 3000 other people have also you're an idiot but if you bring something personal and original and cool it's a different matter

Romeo

#25 Post by Romeo » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:37 pm

I didn't get mine to be a misfit or rebel. I'm a little too old for that. BUT I did get it because I have always been a fan of tattoo art.
But I do have to say at my gym I am the only lady with a upper arm piece, and it does get the bitches off the treadmill immedately if they run over into my signup time :lol: like they are afraid of me