Irresistible Force

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
CaseyContrarian

Re: Irresistible Force

#76 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:56 pm

Jasper wrote:It doesn't have anything to do with them being angsty or scary or anything like that. It's just that it's a glossy pop thing, and it's kind of simplistic at times, and overall it's pretty unedifying. They could make beautiful music without any angst, but this isn't it. This is just relentlessly catchy pop w/ that sweeping Coldplay thing which is pretty cheesy, imo. It's got some good elements, but overall I still kind of feel like it's something I'd hear at the mall. it sounds like it's made of shiny plastic.

End to the Lies is so much better, but I'm really hoping that there's more interesting stuff which isn't the kind of material you'd lead with. They need to take big risks.
What Jasper said. This pretty much perfectly summarizes my feelings about the song.

Matz

#77 Post by Matz » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:36 pm

Jasper wrote:They need to take big risks.
that depends on what their objective is. If it's to win the ANR forum over they do need to take risks but if it's to appeal more to the masses they need to play it safe with catchy songs like Irresistable Force

Jasper

#78 Post by Jasper » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:29 pm

Matz wrote:
that depends on what their objective is. If it's to win the ANR forum over they do need to take risks but if it's to appeal more to the masses they need to play it safe with catchy songs like Irresistable Force
If they want to win back respect, prove themselves, get good reviews, etc.

Juana

#79 Post by Juana » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:31 pm

Jasper wrote:
Matz wrote:
You think at this point they actually care about any of that? This is about music and money to them. Festivals, and bringing in Sitek = appealing to what is hip these days it has nothing to do with respect.

They made 3 albums that got them respect. They have wanted to cash in since '97.

JOEinPHX

#80 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:01 am

Juana wrote:
They made 3 albums that got them respect.

No one counts that faux live album they did pre-shocking as a proper release.

Juana

#81 Post by Juana » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:45 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
Juana wrote:

Haha well you got the idea

kv

#82 Post by kv » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:20 am

i count the live...maybe you don't because you are young but i was around when it came out and was the only jane's record...so it counts

JOEinPHX

#83 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:58 am

kv wrote:i count the live...maybe you don't because you are young but i was around when it came out and was the only jane's record...so it counts
If it counts, why are none of the songs ever spun on commercial radio?

Zero hits came from that record.

I mean fuck... even the Kettle Whistle version of Jane Says gets quite a bit of airplay to this day.

intertwoven

#84 Post by intertwoven » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:50 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
kv wrote:i count the live...maybe you don't because you are young but i was around when it came out and was the only jane's record...so it counts

I mean fuck... even the Kettle Whistle version of Jane Says gets quite a bit of airplay to this day.
I used to hear the XXX version of "Jane Says" on 91X (san diego) occasionally back in the day. :noclue: Not as often as the NS version of course, but still.
But yeah, it's not really a real album. But it's not not really a real album either. Let's argue the merits of STP now.

thoreau

#85 Post by thoreau » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:23 pm

intertwoven wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:

I used to hear the XXX version of "Jane Says" on 91X (san diego) occasionally back in the day. :noclue: Not as often as the NS version of course, but still.
But yeah, it's not really a real album. But it's not not really a real album either. Let's argue the merits of STP now.
V89.7 (college radio for Florida State University) used to strictly play the XXX version of "Jane Says".

Jasper

#86 Post by Jasper » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:12 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Juana wrote:

Of course they do. Back before Ritual those were the two Jane's albums. The fucking album not only introduced "Jane Says," but also was the source of live staples "Trip Away," "Whores," "1%," "Chip Away," "I Would For You," and the sadly abandoned, but beloved, "My Time." (Side note - P4P played My Time at least once)
Six7Six7 wrote:

What the hell are you talking about? :lolol: As if that has any relevance. :eyes: :slap:

(but, yeah, the XXX version of Jane Says was on the radio, at least back in the day.

Jasper

#87 Post by Jasper » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:23 pm

Juana wrote:
Jasper wrote:
Matz wrote:
You think at this point they actually care about any of that? This is about music and money to them. Festivals, and bringing in Sitek = appealing to what is hip these days it has nothing to do with respect.

They made 3 albums that got them respect. They have wanted to cash in since '97.
I do think they want respect. It's the respect they earned from the original run which gets them any audience at all. The more that respect is eroded, and the more that they keep playing the same songs over and over without adding anything that is new and of merit, the more their audience will drift away. Further, the chances of their becoming a generic hit machine a la Aerosmith aren't that great. That's a huge gamble where you try to replace your classic die-hard fans with an almost entirely new group of teeny boppers and soccer moms. Making decent music could preserve their legacy and their audience.

Then there's the question of who does or doesn't want respect. We've heard great things from the band w/ Sitek, but they probably won't make the album. I don't have much doubt that those guys were engaged in coming up with things that got their rocks off.

There's a way to make good music and get attention at the same time. :noclue:

Juana

#88 Post by Juana » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:51 pm

All I was saying is maybe we all need to realize they're not the same people anymore they gave us 3 albums that we all can agree on. Since then its basically been a rehash, a Nickelback album without the catchi-ness (albeit I like some of Strays), another rehash with the box set (which I like because I was never a collector and I love that live show) and festival shows and reunions, with Flea, Martyn, Chaney, EA, and now Chaney again. But nothing really new. In the 21 years since RDLH, Janes has made 1 record, and you look at bands like the Mars Volta which have made 5 albums in 8 years... all I'm saying is if this was about music and respect for them then they would actually be making music more frequently and not coasting on their back catalog.

And if you want to get technical we can count P4P and Decon/OHM so even then its been almost 15 years and only 1 album of new material from them. TPC and SP don't count in my eyes.

Pandemonium

#89 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:39 pm

I have to admit, since downloading the multi-tracks for the song and fucking around trying to do a remix, I've grown to like this song.... a bit. I've certainly come to appreciate all the guitar work Dave put into the tune that unfortunately is mostly buried in the final mix.

Romeo

#90 Post by Romeo » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:48 pm

RXP is still live stream w/o DJ's. So I have it on while at work.

Well they just played Irresistable Forces. And hearing it on the radio, per say....I still don't like it. It still sounds over produced and over the top (and not in a good way). Like a Muse song. and I hate Muse.

:balls:

bman

#91 Post by bman » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:50 pm

I like Irrestible Force..I lIke End to The Lies even more..But sadly, I still think songs like Admit I and The Solutionists are better and more interesting...I love My JAne Addiction but I think this record will do far worse than Strays even did. Back in 03 MTV was still playing Some vids...Will see what happens. Unfortunately, it's not the 80s's..if the album flops they wont tour.

intertwoven

#92 Post by intertwoven » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:40 pm

i don't like the verse lyrics, and foresee the mix i made with only the chorus vocals will get the most play from me. the instrumental is ok too, but as somebody mentioned, sounds like the score to the end scene of a CSI or something.

trevor ayer

#93 Post by trevor ayer » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:13 pm

Pandemonium wrote:I have to admit, since downloading the multi-tracks for the song and fucking around trying to do a remix, I've grown to like this song.... a bit. I've certainly come to appreciate all the guitar work Dave put into the tune that unfortunately is mostly buried in the final mix.

same for me .. once i pulled apart the tracks there was lots of cool shit in there .. made me want a multi of end to the lies .. i bet i could make a version of that that sounds good to me too .. and xxx is 'definately' a record .. alls i listened to back then was NS and xxx in constant rotation .. the janes says is great on xxx .. pigs on xxx is way better .. the whole record is a classic .. chip away .. its there fucking show closer .. well it was back then ... i am pretty sure everyone who bought NS back then also bought XXX .. who cares what radio plays

my remix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XRHkMNE-4g

nestos

#94 Post by nestos » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:16 am

Can't imagine somebody could not consider the XXX album as a real (and good) one... No matter if the applauses are overdubbed, neither the cymbals, it rocks ! :rockon:

Juana

#95 Post by Juana » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:42 am

nestos wrote:Can't imagine somebody could not consider the XXX album as a real (and good) one... No matter if the applauses are overdubbed, neither the cymbals, it rocks ! :rockon:
Yeah I like most of XXX but I prefer the Jane Says on NS more, but the rest of that album is great

Romeo

#96 Post by Romeo » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:54 am

Romeo wrote:RXP is still live stream w/o DJ's. So I have it on while at work.

Well they just played Irresistable Forces. And hearing it on the radio, per say....I still don't like it. It still sounds over produced and over the top (and not in a good way). Like a Muse song. and I hate Muse.

:balls:
ok so they keep playing it on the live stream. And I DO like the beginning of the song....the CHORUS KILLS ME. Like nails on a blackboard. Grates my nerves. It's so sweeping and big production that I can't warm up to the chorus.

Deconstruction

#97 Post by Deconstruction » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:15 am

http://www.rollingstone.com/videos/new- ... e-20110819

The few shots of the music video look stupid. Also Perk, 30 years ago was 1981, I don't think you guys were playing together yet...

creep
Site Admin

#98 Post by creep » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:24 am

Deconstruction wrote:http://www.rollingstone.com/videos/new- ... e-20110819

The few shots of the music video look stupid. Also Perk, 30 years ago was 1981, I don't think you guys were playing together yet...
dave keeps saying how different sounding this song is and it's something jane's has never done. i don't think it's that different than something on rdlh. end to the lies is more "non-jane's" sounding i think.

also perry referred to himself in the 3rd person...awesome. :thumb:

Tyler Durden

#99 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:26 am

Perk needs to stop smoking weed.

Dave looks like Gene Simmons during the interview segments. :hehe:

JOEinPHX

#100 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:34 pm

1:55

Perry calls it "The Irresistible Force Meets the Irresistible Object"

Good to see he can get the concept behind his own song correct. :lol: