Irresistible Force

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Tyler Durden

Re: Irresistible Force

#176 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:00 am

Jasper wrote:I don't have any problem with the song being used for this show, because that's the type of song it is. Same thing with the video. It's not like the song is being debased, because it's a very poppy, soaring, mainstream rock tune. The fact that they made the song makes the video and commercial make perfect sense. It's just part and parcel of making that type of music. So, if I'm gonna complain, I'll just complain about the song, because it's assumed that all of that other stuff goes with it.
Good point.

creep
Site Admin

#177 Post by creep » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:03 am

speaking of law and order..i have only seen a couple episodes but the one thing i noticed is that ice t is a horrible actor.

Pandemonium

#178 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:20 am

Jasper wrote:I don't have any problem with the song being used for this show, because that's the type of song it is. Same thing with the video. It's not like the song is being debased, because it's a very poppy, soaring, mainstream rock tune. The fact that they made the song makes the video and commercial make perfect sense. It's just part and parcel of making that type of music. So, if I'm gonna complain, I'll just complain about the song, because it's assumed that all of that other stuff goes with it.

Yeah, I don't care much if a artist sells their music for car commercials, tv show bumpers and the like 'cause that's really the best way their music is going to get heard anymore. For example. hearing Led Zep's "Rock n' Roll" in a Cadillac commercial didn't kill the song for me, it's still a great, classic tune.

What I do have a problem with, is an artist obviously writing music *specifically* tailored (really just dumbed down) for such media when they were once not only capable of better music but also decided at some point to become corporate whores. Is Jane's going to do a Moby and write songs specifically designed to fit in certain types of movies, tv shows and commercials and license the entire album's worth of tunes out before it's even released? At that point, you're not doing a record with any artistic merit, you're doing a bunch of jingles for Hollywood.

Pandemonium

#179 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:24 am

creep wrote:speaking of law and order..i have only seen a couple episodes but the one thing i noticed is that ice t is a horrible actor.
My wife watches that show religiously and she's asked me about him a couple times. "Yeah honey, he's they guy that wrote this song (play's "Cop Killer," "Evil Dick," "Girl Tried To Kill Me," etc) and had somewhat of an edge at some time, then he went and became Cheech Marin."

Larry B.

#180 Post by Larry B. » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:48 am

Unbelievable.

JOEinPHX

#181 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:54 pm

Pandemonium wrote: Is Jane's going to do a Moby and write songs specifically designed to fit in certain types of movies, tv shows and commercials and license the entire album's worth of tunes out before it's even released? At that point, you're not doing a record with any artistic merit, you're doing a bunch of jingles for Hollywood.
You're not talking about Play, are you? I was under the impression that he sold it all to commercials because he had no idea it would even sell, only to get so much critical praise that it flew off the shelves in record numbers.

Or are you talking about those creative commons songs that he did for young filmmakers to use for free?

Pandemonium

#182 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:31 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Pandemonium wrote: Is Jane's going to do a Moby and write songs specifically designed to fit in certain types of movies, tv shows and commercials and license the entire album's worth of tunes out before it's even released? At that point, you're not doing a record with any artistic merit, you're doing a bunch of jingles for Hollywood.
You're not talking about Play, are you? I was under the impression that he sold it all to commercials because he had no idea it would even sell, only to get so much critical praise that it flew off the shelves in record numbers.
I'm really talking more about his earlier breakthrough album "Everything Is Wrong." There's a number of songs he specifically recorded for that album that were purposely tailored for use as movie music (watch Michael Mann's "Heat"). Obviously he preemptively did the same thing for every track on Play because supposedly no major record label wanted to distribute it but there's a number of tracks on that album that follow the same ambient movie soundtrack friendly template as on EIW. The fact that it became such a huge commercial success months after it was first released btw, was that many of the songs wound up on popular tv shows and movies.

Tyler Durden

#183 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:42 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
I'm really talking more about his earlier breakthrough album "Everything Is Wrong." There's a number of songs he specifically recorded for that album that were purposely tailored for use as movie music (watch Michael Mann's "Heat"). Obviously he preemptively did the same thing for every track on Play because supposedly no major record label wanted to distribute it but there's a number of tracks on that album that follow the same ambient movie soundtrack friendly template as on EIW. The fact that it became such a huge commercial success months after it was first released btw, was that many of the songs wound up on popular tv shows and movies.
Is this a bad thing? I've always considered Moby a composer, just as much as a popular music artist. The majority of "Everything Is Wrong" is fantastic; the fact that the music on it may have been tailor made for films means nothing (negative) to me.

Pandemonium

#184 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:14 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:Is this a bad thing? I've always considered Moby a composer, just as much as a popular music artist. The majority of "Everything Is Wrong" is fantastic; the fact that the music on it may have been tailor made for films means nothing (negative) to me.
I have to agree both albums are classics, no question which obviously undermines my whining here.

Artemis

#185 Post by Artemis » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:54 pm

Today in The Toronto Star..

The Anti-Hit List

4. JANE’S ADDICTION

“Irresistible Force”

Arguably the most potent piece of music they’ve recorded since the band’s original run ended in 1991, this track from J.A.’s first studio album in eight years pulls off the neat trick of appearing structured while flouting most of the conventions of songwriting, among them regular stanzas and anything that rhymes. A chunk of the credit should probably go to Rich Costey, who produced or co-produced two of Muse’s best albums (Absolution and Black Holes and Revelations). It’s no accident that some of that band’s dense, prog-ish sound surfaces here. (From The Great Escape Artist, out Oct.4)