Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Hokahey
Site Admin

Irresistible Force

#1 Post by Hokahey » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:14 pm

Streaming here:

http://kroq.radio.com/2011/08/02/world- ... pe-artist/

What does everyone think?

I still really dig the chorus, as well as the bridge (sounds sort of vintage), but the verses and lyrics don't do much for me. Rather plain overall.

As I was listening I also started thinking about the fact that Dave doesn't just noodle the fuck out on his solos anymore. There's a lot of space between notes. (can you tell I don't play guitar?). I don't know. I want to hear him playing with that same frantic urgency as he used to.

creep
Site Admin

Re: Irresitible Force

#2 Post by creep » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:18 pm

:essence: world premier....not so fast

they probably should have spelled his name right too.

thoreau

#3 Post by thoreau » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:19 pm

Overall I like the tune pretty much, and I'm looking forward to listening to the complete album.

It's just sad that a world of crap had to transpire for the creativity to wake up a bit.

Hope it continues.

Jasper

#4 Post by Jasper » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:37 pm

Here, again, is my attempt at the lyrics:
We didn't know that it would blow up
With such might
The stars are even brighter
(.....?.....) tonight

Sent out the shock waves
Built up to outer space
Even the ghosts came
To the late, late, late show

Watch us play

Everything we're tossin' (?)
Everybody's talkin'
Makin' up their faces
Wonderin' what we look like naked

The irresistible force
Met the immovable object (x2)
Bangin' (5) together

We become a big Business
A galaxy Merger

Two of us a big bang
God is a real man
God ("is" or "isn't"?) dead (x2)

The irresistible force
Met the immovable object (x2)
Bangin' (x5) together

(Instrumental passage)

The irresistible force
Met the immovable object
Some may call it a lucky shot
Oh, but it was not
Bangin' (x10) together

imail724

#5 Post by imail724 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:41 pm

I'm really digging the new song, but as others have said, it's too short. I feel like it's just too simple and after only a few listens I'm too familiar with it already and I'm afraid I may grow sick of it quick.

Leto

Re: Irresistible Force

#6 Post by Leto » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:53 pm

Redux

Finally got to hear it in it's entirety and I must say it doesn't suck. The first minute fits in with Jane's Addiction's canon just fine, and is actually quite slinky and cool with Perry's spokesung vocals. The musical part where he says "We become a big business" is excellent and catchy and worthy of the record. The chorus has a great structure but is produced in a Linkin Park/Hot Topic (shiny and plastic) way kind of robbing it of the power it might possess. The sung ohs and bangs are cringeworthy. I guess my problem with this song is that it is half baked and by that I mean what some of you have already brought up. This song's structure is being dictated a little to much by the DAW(protools or whatever)/tyranny of four/loop problem. I think this might have been the problem with Strays among others, the transition between verse to chorus is abrupt and not in a good way. Too economical. Instead of a natural organic build up or ebb and flow, which was part of old Jane's charm. When there was abruptness in the old sound between parts of the song, it was usually divided by a couple of anticipatory beats of space (like Stop) or some other sonic glue. This song definitely has the feel of plug in the song parts and play. The middle eight has the old sound on the rhythm guitar with the use of a monophonic synth playing a simple melody on top of it, good marriage of the old with the new. The instrumental part afterward is harmless, neither adding or taking away from the song, just a continuation. Then out on the chorus. I give it a 6 out of 10 with the potential for a 9 if it had more time to stew with all 4 members playing together . Still have the big business part stuck in my head, that bit is some of the ole magic. I guess I am in the minority for finding the chorus the weak part of the song, it's kind of just flash.

blackcoffee

#7 Post by blackcoffee » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:33 pm

Irresistible Force is great. And sound even better after drinking.

I love Jane's Addiction, and have for many years.

sinep

#8 Post by sinep » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:38 pm

i don't like it. :etty:

Deconstruction

#9 Post by Deconstruction » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:21 pm

I still like the song. I think it'll make it to the top 5 Billboard Rock Songs (radio play) list, maybe even number 1.

Pillar Girl

#10 Post by Pillar Girl » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:46 pm

i do enjoy the song, just wish it was longer like most have mentioned (and on Xiola) ~
the first chorus seemed a little too early into the song, but hey its better than anything
that was on Strays, which i've only listened to that record maybe once or twice.

Bandit72

#11 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:24 am

I like it. I still think the first break for the keyboards sound very Iron Maiden. No problem with that though.

krakle

#12 Post by krakle » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:50 am

I think it's incredibly boring and I have absolutely no interest in this Jane's Addiction anymore!! :lol:

Now where is my dancing yeti smily?

Deconstruction

#13 Post by Deconstruction » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:09 am

While I do like the song, I have noticed (and my friends too) when I play it that the verses don't really fit the song. The chorus is killer, which is why I like the song, but the verses don't fit it which is why I can't say I love it or call it one of my favorites.

To be honest if the band had any balls the song's kickoff would sound like it does in the Guitar Center ad. With the little synthy opening they have but right into the Irresistible Force hook, and then Perry should have come up with another worthy part to follow it up. A different type of structure could have made this song legendary.

Matz

#14 Post by Matz » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:17 am

Deconstructi.on wrote:While I do like the song, I have noticed (and my friends too) when I play it that the verses don't really fit the song.
I think the same. They're incredibly boring too

Japhy

#15 Post by Japhy » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:46 am

As i've written on 2 previous boards in 2 previous days (never dull on these boards!) I like it far more than i thought i would. It's still a bit too perfect sounding for my liking but it's got bits and pieces that are interesting. At the moment, i prefer ETTL... he should write more songs with that fire in his belly.

What worries me is that we haven't heard the Etty inspired songs yet... the album has potential based on the 2 songs i've heard so far, but there's another 7-8 songs yet. If they're all great, regardless of inspiration, i'll be the first to admit it, but i don't want to get my hopes up just yet.

Come on Perry... pull this fucking album out of the bag and deliver something brilliant.

Hyperbolic

#16 Post by Hyperbolic » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:47 am

I enjoy the fact that the pause button is right over Perry's face. Can't tell you how many times I've clicked that fucker.

yours truly,
Hyperbolic.

bman

#17 Post by bman » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:55 am

I think Perrys is saying " God is a Dad"..not, God is Dead... The song is about the Universe being born from a sex act. So God is a Dad.

Romeo

#18 Post by Romeo » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:56 am

the music is killer.
I like Dave's work on it, though I wish Perk's playing was a little more trippy.

The lyrics however grate against my last nerve.

Tyler Durden

#19 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:07 am

The chorus is too Linkin Park for me.

thoreau

#20 Post by thoreau » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:36 am

bman wrote:I think Perrys is saying " God is a Dad"..not, God is Dead... The song is about the Universe being born from a sex act. So God is a Dad.
That's what I'm hearing too, sir.

Mescal

#21 Post by Mescal » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:08 am

I kinda like the song, it has a great vibe, just as ETTL had.

I think it will be nice to hear the album as a whole.

I doubt that there will be any stand out tracks.

I don't like the ooh ooh he does in the chorus. Sounds cheap.

Other than that I like the vocals, but the lyrics are thin.

SOKI

#22 Post by SOKI » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:16 am

It's too early to judge the overall direction of the new version of ja based on two song.. I think I can like Irresistible Force more than I do End to the Lies, I was pleasantly surprised, liked the chorus- I think that is as good as we can get from the three of them in that regard, should be more edgy though and longer, less digital recreations of an old ja mood and more organic vibe that transpired in Avery recordings, consistent solid songs comprise the Strays album- well they are filler-like songs (I still like some of them on Strays but JA is about being epic and unpredictable) to sum up agree with previous comments I hope I won't bore with them but imagine Avery being in the studio- there is no boring songs on the first three albums. Yeah I liked and yeah I like majority of Strays but do I listen to them.. The new songs tend to be spacious and not so stifled by guitar and production and that's a good thing :tiphat:

Pure Method

#23 Post by Pure Method » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:37 am

It's ait. when is the right occasion to listen to this track? drunk sex?

Matz

#24 Post by Matz » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:16 am

I'm a little surprised theres not more programming on any of the two tracks. Rich Costey is a real wizard when it comes to that stuff (listen to Fiona Apple's When the pawn fx), it could have made it more exiting, fresher

cashinnowperry

#25 Post by cashinnowperry » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:33 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pR0aqlDCuQ[/youtube]

and the lyrics mystery has been solved...

God is a dad!