Frank Zappa+Adrian Belew tribute to JImi Hendrix

http://grooveshark.com/#!/search/song?q ... mi+Hendrix

JOEinPHX

Re: Eric joins NIN!!!!

#52 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:39 am

hokahey wrote:
blackula wrote:
kv wrote:not a nin fan...but good for eric
That's exactly how I feel about this, but if they are going to record I may buy my first NIN album since Downward Spiral!
Much of the The Fragile is amazing.

Nothing can compare to TDS but on it's own it's an incredible piece of work. It's aged extremely well IMO.
I think The Fragile is better than TDS

He really threw the kitchen sink at that album, plus some.

Matz

#53 Post by Matz » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:00 pm

thanks for the Belew introduction Artemis, love the Bowie songs. I'm having a hard time getting into the Tom Tom Club, maybe it'll take a few listens :noclue:

So if they write new stuff with him in NIN, what's he going to bring I wonder? A progressive side I suppose, it would be fucking interesting to hear what Reznor, Avery and Belew would come up together. It's a real shame if they don't try. Even moreso than when Jane's didn't record an album either prior to the Relapse tour or right after

I think the Fragile is better than TDS as well by the way

LJF

#54 Post by LJF » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:13 pm

So let's see another NINJA tour now. Didn't Eric play with them at least once on the tour?

Broken would be my favorite NIN, but really all were good up to and including the fragile.

Pandemonium

#55 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:17 pm

LJF wrote:So let's see another NINJA tour now. Didn't Eric play with them at least once on the tour?

Broken would be my favorite NIN, but really all were good up to and including the fragile.
Yeah, he played with them at least once at the last US NINJA date on "Head Like A Hole." He also joined NIN and Gary Numan on "Cars" at the Fonda on their second to last club show in '09.

creep
Site Admin

#56 Post by creep » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:57 pm

thoreau wrote:Wow, I've been wishing that Eric and Trent would collaborate on something for years now! I can't express how it exciting this lineup has the potential to be.

The only individual I wish was involved is Robin Finck (have always thought he and Eric would be a great string pair), but I'd say Adrian Belew is a damn good substitute.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

who says that eric will be involved in writing? how much are other nin members of the past contributed to writing? isn't it just trent and that producer guy? i realy have no idea.

Matz

#57 Post by Matz » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:10 pm

past members haven't been as prolific songwriters as Avery

creep
Site Admin

#58 Post by creep » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:12 pm

Matz wrote:past members haven't been as prolific songwriters as Avery
:lol: prolific songwriter. ok

Matz

#59 Post by Matz » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:17 pm

am I using that word wrong? :lol: guess so, well glad I could throw in some comedy without knowing...ehm, past members weren't superstar songwriters as Avery, that's what I mean...

crater

#60 Post by crater » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:20 pm

I jumped off of the NIN bandwagon after the Fragile. Everything since that one was boring to me. I always check out anything new that EA is part of, but from what I read on another site was that the music was already written/mostly recorded, so I'm not expecting EA to be anything more than just a touring member of the band.

Good for him though

creep
Site Admin

#61 Post by creep » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:31 pm

Matz wrote:am I using that word wrong? :lol: guess so, well glad I could throw in some comedy without knowing...ehm, past members weren't superstar songwriters as Avery, that's what I mean...
i was just laughing because eric and perry wrote a few great songs 20 plus years ago. i wouldn't categorize anything he has done since as anywhere close to prolific. but that is just me. :noclue:

Matz

#62 Post by Matz » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:25 pm

cool, so I'm not an idiot....that's nice

JOEinPHX

#63 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:46 pm

creep wrote:
thoreau wrote:Wow, I've been wishing that Eric and Trent would collaborate on something for years now! I can't express how it exciting this lineup has the potential to be.

The only individual I wish was involved is Robin Finck (have always thought he and Eric would be a great string pair), but I'd say Adrian Belew is a damn good substitute.

who says that eric will be involved in writing? how much are other nin members of the past contributed to writing? isn't it just trent and that producer guy? i realy have no idea.
Depends on the album. I know the Fragility era band played a lot on The Fragile. And I am pretty sure The Slip was recorded somewhat live.

And keep in mind Trent's idea of "rethinking what NIN could be"

He may just be turning it into a real band situation and giving up some of the control in hopes of getting better ideas recorded.

Maybe his experience recording with Grohl/Homme had a lot to do with it. on the Sound City documentary, he was working with them on coming up with the best thing they could, and Homme ended up playing the bassline instead of what Trent was playing. Maybe he looked at that situation and said "hmmm, maybe the best ideas aren't always going to be mine"

someguy

#64 Post by someguy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:24 pm

creep wrote:
Matz wrote:am I using that word wrong? :lol: guess so, well glad I could throw in some comedy without knowing...ehm, past members weren't superstar songwriters as Avery, that's what I mean...
i was just laughing because eric and perry wrote a few great songs 20 plus years ago. i wouldn't categorize anything he has done since as anywhere close to prolific. but that is just me. :noclue:
NS- 1988
RDLH- 1991
Deconsruction- 1994
Why Something Instead of Nothing- 1999
Help Wanted- 2008

Not including e.p.s- five full lengths over the course 25 years- Not very prolific- quality over quantity I guess

SR

#65 Post by SR » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:59 pm

Congrats to all involved. Personally, I'm hoping for some new music as well. Besides the principal players in the band, there is a rich group of talent in this tribe. This could be really interesting.

As for the pf/tr debate on artistic decay. Um there is no legit comparison.

Oh and ea really needs to give a bit back to the handful who have followed/supported his less than prolific solo material and do a one off here in la. :nod:

thoreau

#66 Post by thoreau » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:35 am

creep wrote:

I wasn't saying he'd be involved in the songwriting. My comment was meant as him and Trent collaborating in the live sense.

CaseyContrarian

#67 Post by CaseyContrarian » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:04 am

Matz wrote:thanks for the Belew introduction Artemis, love the Bowie songs. I'm having a hard time getting into the Tom Tom Club, maybe it'll take a few listens :noclue:

So if they write new stuff with him in NIN, what's he going to bring I wonder? A progressive side I suppose, it would be fucking interesting to hear what Reznor, Avery and Belew would come up together. It's a real shame if they don't try. Even moreso than when Jane's didn't record an album either prior to the Relapse tour or right after

I think the Fragile is better than TDS as well by the way
Belew has been contributing to NIN recordings since TDS...

Matz

#68 Post by Matz » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:20 am

I actually did know he's on the Fragile, I just don't know on what specific songs, would be interesting to know, if anyone can enlighten me please do..

Easton

#69 Post by Easton » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:50 pm

Matz wrote:I actually did know he's on the Fragile, I just don't know on what specific songs, would be interesting to know, if anyone can enlighten me please do..
On The Downward Spiral he played on "Mr Self Destruct" and "The Becoming", and on The Fragile on "Just Like You Imagined", "The Great Below" and "Where is Everybody",

Matz

#70 Post by Matz » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:12 pm

cool, thanks. On a song like Mr Self Destruct I wonder if he comes in and makes up that riff or he's told what to play?! Hmm..Love Just like you imagined, great instrumental

nausearockpig

#71 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:17 pm

is anyone else here Facebook frenz with Eric? I am/was but now his non-musician page is inactive. I get this message when I search my Friends list for him:
Account Inactive. This account has been deactivated. Only you can see Eric on your friends list. You have the option to unfriend Eric?
I still "like" his musician/band page but it's not the same :cona:

Warped

#72 Post by Warped » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:27 pm

Same here.

nausearockpig

#73 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:35 pm

wonder if he killed off or changed the privacy settings on his real page? now that he's gonna get a lot more interest....

creep
Site Admin

#74 Post by creep » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:36 pm

he just switched over to a fan page since i think the other page is limited to 5k people. i don't know what the difference would be.

nausearockpig

#75 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:13 am

I'm pretty sure he had a personal page separate to his fan page. I remember them having two different avatar/images.