Eric joins NIN!!!!

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
creep
Site Admin

Re: Eric joins NIN!!!!

#76 Post by creep » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:53 am

nausearockpig wrote:I'm pretty sure he had a personal page separate to his fan page. I remember them having two different avatar/images.
feb 12
Eric Avery ‏@ericavery

i am converting my Facebook "Profile" into a Facebook "Page". it annoys me that i must do this but for many reasons i must. so be it...

Romeo

#77 Post by Romeo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:43 am

well we know those NIN fans are fanatics and suddenly care about him even if they couldn't of given 2 shits about him before....

So he was probably getting slammed with friend requests

SR

#78 Post by SR » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:24 am

His page looks the same to me

tubro

#79 Post by tubro » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:28 am

this is a cool spot for eric. i'll definitely go see it.
i've seen NIN many times and always really liked trent's approach to live music.
first time was on lolla 91.

belew: i've had a fractured love/hate thing for him since i first saw him in 1977 at this show:

i'd never heard of him when zappa put him in the band to play the stunt guitar parts (and also wear a dress, impersonate bob dylan and generally join the madness that was the '77 band).
saw him at the halloween show that was filmed for the baby snakes movie.

following year, i got tix for david bowie at msg (on the heroes tour, on my birthday) and was psyched to see him up there playing the fripp parts and other wild solos.
it only got better the next year when david byrne absconded with him (bowie's and byrne's producer were both eno in those days) and put him in the amazing 1980 remain in light talking heads with negroes band. saw that at central park the day after it debuted at heatwave in toronto. easily in the top 5 shows for me ever, and that includes a lot for an old fart like me. and by then belew was the most extraordinary sideman working. he was playing with the greats of his time and blowing away audiences. a year later, fripp announced the reformed king crimson and of course belew was in that too. that was 1981 and he was at the top of the world. but its been spotty from there. his sideman work was sometimes remarkable (laurie anderson comes to mind) and sometimes sort of silly and stuntman-y. a bit like navarro in that regard. crimson got worse and worse over the years, as belew became the apparent leader. it was still fripp's band, i guess, but fripp, who's among my all time heroes from his 70s crimson and subsequent bowie and eno and punk rock appearances, had turned into an erudite douchebag by then and barely played guitar in the latter crims. so belew was there making elephant sounds and such. his solo work has been, in my view, spotty at best. his later tours with bowie were sort of rock starry rather than killer sideman-like. still, he's a rock guitar god as a player and he's got legions of fans, and if trent uses him right, this is a very cool pairing.

one more thing - regarding this move as proving to this forum that trent loves eric and hates perry, like we're supposed to, i'd sooner ask him than draw that conclusion. he wanted to work with them back around NINJA. perry put him on lolla 91. i've always figured that trent loves jane's 1.0. there's little doubt that he saw the fracture between perry and eric first hand in 07 but i'm not sure that confirms that he's anti perry or on one side or the other of the sonny tapes debate. there's not much of a place in NIN for perry farrell, even the XXX perry farrell, is all i'm saying.

anyway, this is a cool thing. hope he brings it to a club in nyc this summer in between festival appearances.

nausearockpig

#80 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:45 pm

creep wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:I'm pretty sure he had a personal page separate to his fan page. I remember them having two different avatar/images.
feb 12
Eric Avery ‏@ericavery

i am converting my Facebook "Profile" into a Facebook "Page". it annoys me that i must do this but for many reasons i must. so be it...
Sorted.

CaseyContrarian

#81 Post by CaseyContrarian » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:19 am

tubro wrote:this is a cool spot for eric. i'll definitely go see it.
i've seen NIN many times and always really liked trent's approach to live music.
first time was on lolla 91.

belew: i've had a fractured love/hate thing for him since i first saw him in 1977 at this show:

i'd never heard of him when zappa put him in the band to play the stunt guitar parts (and also wear a dress, impersonate bob dylan and generally join the madness that was the '77 band).
saw him at the halloween show that was filmed for the baby snakes movie.

following year, i got tix for david bowie at msg (on the heroes tour, on my birthday) and was psyched to see him up there playing the fripp parts and other wild solos.
it only got better the next year when david byrne absconded with him (bowie's and byrne's producer were both eno in those days) and put him in the amazing 1980 remain in light talking heads with negroes band. saw that at central park the day after it debuted at heatwave in toronto. easily in the top 5 shows for me ever, and that includes a lot for an old fart like me. and by then belew was the most extraordinary sideman working. he was playing with the greats of his time and blowing away audiences. a year later, fripp announced the reformed king crimson and of course belew was in that too. that was 1981 and he was at the top of the world. but its been spotty from there. his sideman work was sometimes remarkable (laurie anderson comes to mind) and sometimes sort of silly and stuntman-y. a bit like navarro in that regard. crimson got worse and worse over the years, as belew became the apparent leader. it was still fripp's band, i guess, but fripp, who's among my all time heroes from his 70s crimson and subsequent bowie and eno and punk rock appearances, had turned into an erudite douchebag by then and barely played guitar in the latter crims. so belew was there making elephant sounds and such. his solo work has been, in my view, spotty at best. his later tours with bowie were sort of rock starry rather than killer sideman-like. still, he's a rock guitar god as a player and he's got legions of fans, and if trent uses him right, this is a very cool pairing.

one more thing - regarding this move as proving to this forum that trent loves eric and hates perry, like we're supposed to, i'd sooner ask him than draw that conclusion. he wanted to work with them back around NINJA. perry put him on lolla 91. i've always figured that trent loves jane's 1.0. there's little doubt that he saw the fracture between perry and eric first hand in 07 but i'm not sure that confirms that he's anti perry or on one side or the other of the sonny tapes debate. there's not much of a place in NIN for perry farrell, even the XXX perry farrell, is all i'm saying.

anyway, this is a cool thing. hope he brings it to a club in nyc this summer in between festival appearances.
Everything stated here about Belew is the absolute truth, and I couldn't have said it better myself. Deep bow.

intertwoven

#82 Post by intertwoven » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:27 am

http://www.nme.com/news/nine-inch-nails/69179
Nine Inch Nails have two new songs for 2013 live dates Trent Reznor speaks about band's live plans ahead of Reading and Leeds appearances
More Nine Inch Nails news, reviews, videos and tour dates

Reznor recently announced the return of Nine Inch Nails after spending time working on a number of film scores and also writing and recording an album with his other band, How To Destroy Angels. Nine Inch Nails will perform their only UK shows of 2013 at Reading and Leeds, performing directly before headliners Biffy Clyro.

Speaking to NME about the possibility of fans hearing new material during the festival sets, Reznor said: "There isn't any new material to play except from a couple of tracks Adrian (Belew, King Crimson guitarist and new member of Nine Inch Nails) and I started experimenting on that were intended to go on a greatest hits record. We decided to push that back to 2014, and there's no new record scheduled at this point."

Elsewhere in the interview, Reznor spoke about the make-up of Nine Inch Nails live shows and what fans should expect. "The intention is to reconstruct songs based on this new instrumentation and only play songs we as a band feel good about. With Nine Inch Nails last time, I felt that I'd explored that kind of bludgeoning rock thing in a lot of different ways, like I'd done everything I could do with that format."

Nine Inch Nails announced their return with a statement released in February of this year. Appearing alongside Reznor will be Eric Avery of Jane's Addiction, King Crimson's Adrian Belew and Josh Eustis of Telefon Tel Aviv alongside long-term collaborators Alessandro Cortini and Ilan Rubin.

Read the full interview with Trent Reznor in this week's NME, available nationwide from today (March 13).
Hopefully Eric works with him in the studio. I just realized that Eric is currently the only member of Janes 1.0 not featured on a NIN recording. Perry's got that sample in "Ringfinger", Perk's looped on "I Do Not Want This", and Dave plays on the remix of "Piggy".

tvrec

#83 Post by tvrec » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:29 am

"Ringfinger," I'd count that as all of them, even if it's Perry-focused since it's straight from the album track (and includes Perk, no?).

pandarve666

#84 Post by pandarve666 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:57 am

This is the first time in months I have logged in on ANR to post a reply. I felt like all other news was no news at all and how about some european dates, Perry?? Yeah, fuck you too.

But now NIN is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And with Eric!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FUCK YES!

I've seen NIN several times before and I am really grateful that they will be touring again! (fuck you Perry, has-been)