Original thought...Perry.....

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
guysmiley

Original thought...Perry.....

#1 Post by guysmiley » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:36 am

Original thought.......Has Perry had one since 1991? This show is basically the outfit Perry wore for the NME awards show. Wow. I thought that was original. Fuck man. Think for your self.

guysmiley

Re: Original thought...Perry.....

#2 Post by guysmiley » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:41 am

in so many ways rock has died and been reborn with me recently.......Fuck posers....With an ass rapping tentacles.. from weird Japanese monster movies.....I hate my hero's of yesterday,,,,,,,,,,,, :sad: Fuck..............

krakle

#3 Post by krakle » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:59 pm

guysmiley wrote:I hate my hero's of yesterday,,,,,,,,,,,, :sad: Fuck..............
:noclue: there's still beauty out there. just got to search harder.

JOEinPHX

#4 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:40 pm

guysmiley wrote:Original thought.......Has Perry had one since 1991? This show is basically the outfit Perry wore for the NME awards show. Wow. I thought that was original. Fuck man. Think for your self.
He married a dancer and is making shit techno music now. No rockstar has done that since... umm.... well ever. That is something original he did.

Pandemonium

#5 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:29 am

Six7Six7 wrote:He married a dancer and is making shit techno music now. No rockstar has done that since... umm.... well ever. That is something original he did.
David Lee Roth begs to differ:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#6 Post by Hokahey » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:40 pm

I think this is kind of a silly thread. For one, if you really wanted to argue you could say Perry was never original in much beyond his dreads. He had obviously co-opted the moves of Jagger and Iggy from the outset. It would be easy to probably find examples of his non original ideas going back to the beginning.

That being said, how many bands and singers would this be very easy to play the same game with?

JOEinPHX

#7 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:44 pm

hokahey wrote:I think this is kind of a silly thread. For one, if you really wanted to argue you could say Perry was never original in much beyond his dreads. He had obviously co-opted the moves of Jagger and Iggy from the outset. It would be easy to probably find examples of his non original ideas going back to the beginning.

That being said, how many bands and singers would this be very easy to play the same game with?
But this is The Jane's Addiction Discussion Forum

Hokahey
Site Admin

#8 Post by Hokahey » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:25 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
hokahey wrote:I think this is kind of a silly thread. For one, if you really wanted to argue you could say Perry was never original in much beyond his dreads. He had obviously co-opted the moves of Jagger and Iggy from the outset. It would be easy to probably find examples of his non original ideas going back to the beginning.

But this is The Jane's Addiction Discussion Forum
And I'm discussing them, soooooo...............

Just saying I don't think there's much of a point to be made here.

krakle

#9 Post by krakle » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:28 pm

hokahey wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:But this is The Jane's Addiction Discussion Forum
Just saying I don't think there's much of a point to be made here.
:conf: :scared:

Pure Method

#10 Post by Pure Method » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:16 pm

I do find it hard to imagine perry scouring old video of Iggy to find an outfit...

JOEinPHX

#11 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:24 pm

Pure Method wrote:I do find it hard to imagine perry scouring old video of Iggy to find an outfit...
He spent time on youtube scouring for old videos to play onstage during the Theater of the Great Escapists tour.

:noclue:

blackula

#12 Post by blackula » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:14 pm

whatever, who hasn't borrowed at least a little from Iggy? Perry always took a little from Iggy, even in the glory days.

the similarities nowadays are pretty crazy. old men in great physical shape that put on highly energetic performances and haven't released a decent album in over a decade. i have hope that the new stooges record will be decent, and if it is Watt plays bass. that would be another similarity, last good album has Watt on bass.

perkana

#13 Post by perkana » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:36 pm

guysmiley wrote:in so many ways rock has died and been reborn with me recently.......Fuck posers....With an ass rapping tentacles.. from weird Japanese monster movies.....I hate my hero's of yesterday,,,,,,,,,,,, :sad: Fuck..............
that is sad, maybe it's time to change either music or your own heros? or maybe you're just getting old? I know that is what has been happening to me lately, I'm just a bitter old fuck now.

guysmiley

#14 Post by guysmiley » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:36 pm

perkana wrote:
guysmiley wrote:in so many ways rock has died and been reborn with me recently.......Fuck posers....With an ass rapping tentacles.. from weird Japanese monster movies.....I hate my hero's of yesterday,,,,,,,,,,,, :sad: Fuck..............
that is sad, maybe it's time to change either music or your own heros? or maybe you're just getting old? I know that is what has been happening to me lately, I'm just a bitter old fuck now.
I'm going to start yelling at the neighborhood kids to get off my lawn.

Juana

#15 Post by Juana » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:42 pm

Naw you don't just don't like their new shit, we all go thru it. Some of the greatest musicians of all time were going to eventually suck, they died before they could.

kv

#16 Post by kv » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:10 am

90% of the time the first record is all that doesn't suck

guysmiley

#17 Post by guysmiley » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:29 am

I just wonder at times if everything is being recycle more now, or if I'm just more aware of it? How do I approach art with this knowledge going forward? I try to do new stuff as often as possible. Are we all doomed to fail eventually? I few artists have managed.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#18 Post by Hokahey » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:35 am

guysmiley wrote:I just wonder at times if everything is being recycle more now, or if I'm just more aware of it? How do I approach art with this knowledge going forward? I try to do new stuff as often as possible. Are we all doomed to fail eventually? I few artists have managed.
I've personally gone through this thought process as well. And I suppose my conclusion is that yes, more often than not an artists will eventually disappoint with some aspect of their output. The ones that do not are extremely rare, and when they do I tend to find something new that sort of fills the void.

blackcoffee

#19 Post by blackcoffee » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:20 am

I can't defend much of what Perry does that I disagree with, but I think this thread is misguided.

The more likely scenario for both Iggy and Perry is that inspiration came from the BDSM scene whether they're aware of it or not. Was Perry inspired by Iggy? I don't think he's that focused. I think it's accidental coincidence.

I remember the NME show and thought Perry's outfit was fine. The horse tail wasn't the horrible transgression many here describe it as.

Hype

#20 Post by Hype » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:29 pm

kv wrote:90% of the time the first record is all that doesn't suck
JA got lucky because their sophomore album was 90% songs they wrote at the same time as the songs on the first record. :nod:

JOEinPHX

#21 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:43 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
kv wrote:90% of the time the first record is all that doesn't suck
JA got lucky because their sophomore album was 90% songs they wrote at the same time as the songs on the first record. :nod:
:thumb:

Jasper

#22 Post by Jasper » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:54 pm

blackcoffee wrote:I can't defend much of what Perry does that I disagree with, but I think this thread is misguided.

The more likely scenario for both Iggy and Perry is that inspiration came from the BDSM scene whether they're aware of it or not. Was Perry inspired by Iggy? I don't think he's that focused. I think it's accidental coincidence.

I remember the NME show and thought Perry's outfit was fine. The horse tail wasn't the horrible transgression many here describe it as.
I don't see Perry having ripped off Iggy at all. I see Iggy as an original and Perry as an original. Everyone has influences. Both of them love Morrison, for instance. Iggy modeled a himself a great deal on Morrison, and Jim actually expressed admiration for Iggy. Regardless, Jane's covered a Stooges song, 1970 (see below), and P4P covered another Stooges song, I Got A Right. There's also that Jane's 1.0 show in Detroit where Perry says "We love you Jim", Jim being Iggy's real name, and Michigan being his home state. Obviously Perry had some influence from Iggy. Practically everyone doing punk or alternative music has had a direct or indirect influence from Iggy - same with The Velvet Underground.

crater

#23 Post by crater » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:47 pm

My Iggy/Perry story.

I was at and have the video of a show Jane's did in Sacramento 5.30.91, where in the beginning instrumental of Ted, Perry is begging a fan to throw a cassette tape up to him. The fan did and Perry read the name that was written on it and then he said something like ...

"Once I was just as desperate as you bro, thinking that opportunity knocks but once. I used to throw tapes at Iggy Pop. Of course Iggy and I became lovers, but he never did produce us though."

I wish I could remember it exactly, but that's pretty much it. Perry was great that night. If you ever get the chance check out that show.