jane's new commercial

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
SR

Re: jane's new commercial

#101 Post by SR » Sat May 18, 2013 11:21 am

Juana wrote:Not trying to bait or hate here but I didn't take it as condescending, I do not take anything seriously on this board except hating the Celtics (yeah that is right SR, fuck them). Jane's lost their integrity when they hired Ezrin, from then on they have been nothing but a husk. To me when I think about what they are now and what they were "Comfortably Numb" pops into my head. Everything has its shelf life and eventually everything becomes commercial, its the nature of the beast.

What is worse to me is the DVD they're releasing than their songs being in commercials. Hell at least this way kids can get into their music with the good shit and not be subjected to the terrible 2.0 version first.
:rockon:

Kajicat

#102 Post by Kajicat » Sat May 18, 2013 11:37 am

trevor ayer wrote:http://trevorayer.bandcamp.com/track/no ... -5-30-1987 (check perrys rant at the end)
But didn't they kind of "sell-out" the second they signed to Warner Bros? Signing a deal with a corporation that will help put your music out there as a product so they can sit back in their suits and collect a chunk of your money for your art?

JOEinPHX

#103 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat May 18, 2013 5:32 pm

Kajicat wrote:
trevor ayer wrote:http://trevorayer.bandcamp.com/track/no ... -5-30-1987 (check perrys rant at the end)
But didn't they kind of "sell-out" the second they signed to Warner Bros? Signing a deal with a corporation that will help put your music out there as a product so they can sit back in their suits and collect a chunk of your money for your art?
Not if Warner Bros. gave them 100% artistic freedom.

Which I believe is the case and the reason they signed with them to begin with.

blackula

#104 Post by blackula » Sat May 18, 2013 8:42 pm

Hank says it best

http://youtu.be/s6zVUvmkyvA

Juana

#105 Post by Juana » Sat May 18, 2013 9:51 pm

For those that don't want to click the link

JOEinPHX

#106 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun May 19, 2013 12:33 am

I agree with everything Henry said.

Selling out = recording the album someone else wants you to make.

1. Strays: The album Capitol/Ezrin wanted Jane's to make.

2. TGEA: The album Costey/Sitek wanted Jane's to make.

:lol:

Kajicat

#107 Post by Kajicat » Sun May 19, 2013 1:13 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
Kajicat wrote:
Not if Warner Bros. gave them 100% artistic freedom.

Which I believe is the case and the reason they signed with them to begin with.
But even with "artistic freedom" their art is being put out their as a product for Warner Bros. to make money off of.
blackula wrote:Hank says it best

http://youtu.be/s6zVUvmkyvA
:lolol: Damn I love that guy. Was just listening to Rollins Band's "Life Time" the other day...

Essence_Smith

#108 Post by Essence_Smith » Mon May 20, 2013 7:47 am

Six7Six7 wrote: 1. Strays: The album Capitol/Ezrin wanted Jane's to make.

:essence:
They HIRED those people...I think the results are partially because of the producers, but at the end of the day they only have their own lack of good taste to blame for how both of those albums turned out...Trent was also trying to get them to work in a particular way and they stopped working with him... :idea:

JOEinPHX

#109 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon May 20, 2013 12:41 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:

They HIRED those people...I think the results are partially because of the producers, but at the end of the day they only have their own lack of good taste to blame for how both of those albums turned out...Trent was also trying to get them to work in a particular way and they stopped working with him... :idea:
Yeah, Trent and Eric both wanted it to sound like Jane's Addiction used to.

Strange how that was the idea that got shot down, huh?

Essence_Smith

#110 Post by Essence_Smith » Mon May 20, 2013 2:45 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Essence_Smith wrote:

Yeah, Trent and Eric both wanted it to sound like Jane's Addiction used to.

Strange how that was the idea that got shot down, huh?
:noclue:
Bottom line we could speculate all day long and never really know since only Eric's had anything to offer in terms of why that didn't work out...that studio version of Whores was NOT very impressive and again you and I could disagree all day on why that happened...at the end of the day I still maintain that the closest to the old JA we've gotten since 91 was actually Kettle Whistle...still maintained some of the old vibe and managed to do something new with it...everything since then has been nowhere close...

SR

#111 Post by SR » Mon May 20, 2013 2:48 pm

Yeah, I seem to recall ea wasn't interested in a reproduction of the past for new music. Who knows, but they probably had vastly disparate ideas on the use of software. I'm shocked they got 2 albums out in hindsight.

Matz

#112 Post by Matz » Mon May 20, 2013 4:13 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:.at the end of the day I still maintain that the closest to the old JA we've gotten since 91 was actually Kettle Whistle...still maintained some of the old vibe and managed to do something new with it...everything since then has been nowhere close...
exactly

Hype

#113 Post by Hype » Mon May 20, 2013 8:45 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:that studio version of Whores was NOT very impressive and again you and I could disagree all day on why that happened...
What scared me most about that was that it wasn't just the same old issue with Perry's older vocal cords (which as always is understandable, and wouldn't be an issue if he didn't write NEW songs with U2-esque soaring choruses that don't fit where his voice has gone). Dave's guitar work on that track didn't make any sense.

thoreau

#114 Post by thoreau » Tue May 21, 2013 8:44 am

Essence_Smith wrote:.at the end of the day I still maintain that the closest to the old JA we've gotten since 91 was actually Kettle Whistle...still maintained some of the old vibe and managed to do something new with it...everything since then has been nowhere close...
Wholly agree. :thumb: