Perry Farrell on Jay Mohr Podcast

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
embrace_the_darkness

Perry Farrell on Jay Mohr Podcast

#1 Post by embrace_the_darkness » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:21 am

Perry is on the latest Jay Mohr podcast - Mohr Stories.

I hope I'm spelling that right.

Matz

Re: Perry Farrell on Jay Mohr Podcast

#2 Post by Matz » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:35 am

bman

#3 Post by bman » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:47 am

Funny Story about an Eric Avery line he used in trying to pick up chicks! About 37 minutes in.

bman

#4 Post by bman » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:54 am

More Avery talk at 45 minutes too.

JOEinPHX

#5 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:39 pm

Gotta stir up some controversy to get attention for the new song coming out

Tomorrow's Spin/RollingStone/Blabbermouth/Every other music blog Headline:

"Farrell Slams Avery, New Jane's Song Next Week"

creep
Site Admin

#6 Post by creep » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:46 pm

he didn't really slam him. it was a decent interview where perry was somewhat coherent.

i thought it was funny that perry would call eric sisyphus because eric would say when he was with a girl that she made him feel like sisyphus rolling a rock up a hill. it sounds like something eric would tell a girl.

bman

#7 Post by bman » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:26 pm

Yea there was no slamming of anyone. It actually was a very cool interview.

Deconstruction

#8 Post by Deconstruction » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:55 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:Gotta stir up some controversy to get attention for the new song coming out

Tomorrow's Spin/RollingStone/Blabbermouth/Every other music blog Headline:

"Farrell Slams Avery, New Jane's Song Next Week"
http://www.alternativenation.net/?p=30165

I didn't quite use the exact headline you suggested though, lol. Perry came off as cool in this interview.

Juana

#9 Post by Juana » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:07 pm

It seems like they have both just realized that they do not like each other as people. I thought Perry did well in this interview and it was more so him being honest than trying to trash Eric. I bash a lot of shit Perry does/did but was very surprised by this interview.

NYRexall

#10 Post by NYRexall » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:16 pm

Juana wrote:I bash a lot of shit Perry does/did but was very surprised by this interview.
Let's hope the same can be said for the new song that's coming out.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#11 Post by Hokahey » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:38 pm

On Eric Avery leaving Jane’s Addiction in 2010: “There’s people that don’t like you, you can tell. You can’t change their mind so don’t try, that’s what Etty always says to me. You know what they don’t like you, they don’t want to like you, you can’t change that so don’t want your time trying.”
"Don't you listen to them baby. Our new PerryEtty album blows Ritual out of the water."

Deconstruction

#12 Post by Deconstruction » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:44 pm

Juana wrote:It seems like they have both just realized that they do not like each other as people. I thought Perry did well in this interview and it was more so him being honest than trying to trash Eric. I bash a lot of shit Perry does/did but was very surprised by this interview.
In some interviews he talks in a certain voice that doesn't sound like he's acting like himself. Here though he seems very laid back and candid, even admitting that he had regrets regarding the original Jane's breakup and how part of it was his fault.

NYRexall

#13 Post by NYRexall » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:48 pm

On Eric Avery leaving Jane’s Addiction in 2010:

“There’s people that don’t like you, you can tell. You can’t change their mind so don’t try, that’s what Etty always says to me. You know what they don’t like you, they don’t want to like you, you can’t change that so don’t want your time trying.”

“I tried to be very nice to him, it didn’t work.”

:bs:

Eric resisted the offer to re-join the band numerous times before acquiescing in 2008. I highly doubt he came back into the fold with the intention of carrying past disdain for Perry with him. It's more like Eric wanted the band to sound the way it should -- circa 1990 -- and Perry was more interested in keeping it on track with the diluted sham that it is today.

Of course there is going to be animosity. One guy takes it seriously while the other one shits all over it. The fact that Etty is his voice of reason in the matter should tell you everything you need to know from the Bernstein perspective.

creep
Site Admin

#14 Post by creep » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:57 pm

i think to blame just perryetty for it not working isn't fair. eric doesn't seem like the funnest dude to hang around with so of course there would be tensions writing new material. in a way i'm glad it didn't work because i'm pretty sure we would have been hugely disappointed in the outcome. i would still love to hear what they did record though.

NYRexall

#15 Post by NYRexall » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:19 pm

I'm sure Eric has his share of the blame as well. But from that interview, Perry makes it sound like he bent over backwards to appease Eric's re-entry into the band, and from all accounts, this was hardly the case. He wouldn't even allow the other two to jam with Eric when he wasn't around.

I don't think Eric rejoined the band for the profit aspect; he would have jumped onboard back in 1997 or 2001 if that were the case. I think he genuinely wanted to reconnect to the band and write new music that picked up where they left off in 1991, and Perry wasn't interested in that direction. It's clear he sees the band today as nothing more than a cash cow venture.

Noonesshocking

#16 Post by Noonesshocking » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:20 pm

I can't remember any other time perry saying straight up that the strain between him and Eric directly caused the breakup the first time around. It was always pretty much implied but still interesting to hear.

I do think there were some instances where they put the shit aside during the reunion. Skip to 2:40 of this vid, Eric basically drags perry onstage with him. It's a cool moment.

http://youtu.be/atvGbwyZtEY

Noonesshocking

#17 Post by Noonesshocking » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:38 pm

Whoa - BIG segment on the reznor sessions around the hour and 12 minute mark too. Basically perry says the main point of contention (for presumably embrace the darkness) was one chord. I'm paraphrasing, but its pretty interesting the way he tells it. Definitely worth a listen.

Juana

#18 Post by Juana » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:28 pm

Deconstruction wrote:
Juana wrote:It seems like they have both just realized that they do not like each other as people. I thought Perry did well in this interview and it was more so him being honest than trying to trash Eric. I bash a lot of shit Perry does/did but was very surprised by this interview.
In some interviews he talks in a certain voice that doesn't sound like he's acting like himself. Here though he seems very laid back and candid, even admitting that he had regrets regarding the original Jane's breakup and how part of it was his fault.
I feel that he was just being open at least in his thinking he was being open about what happened.

I bet he regrets not being able to work it out with Eric. They could be a lot bigger than they are had they been able to hold it together. I know he regrets that part looking at it especially with the Aerosmiths and Rolling Stones going to have to hang it up the 80's rock/alt/punk and other genres are going to be in line for those nostalgia act tours that bank and I'm fairly certain he knows they will never get that type of gig again. Might be wrong but without Eric I do not see it happening.

Another thing I learned there are a lot more JA fans out there than we know that absolutely adore NS and RdlH, or just Austin is filled with music fans with good tastes.

Forge

#19 Post by Forge » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:29 pm

This is a great interview. Perry has obviously been working on the memoirs.

Matz

#20 Post by Matz » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:03 am

he still says some stupid shit though, what was that about Jane's and Guns'n Roses squaring off in Dodger's stadium or something...what!?..ehm, you're not gonna sell that out anytime soon......I think that Jay Mohr guy came out cooler than Perry, he knows his music and has great taste, clever, cool and funny guy

panicparty

#21 Post by panicparty » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:47 am

NYRexall wrote:
It's more like Eric wanted the band to sound the way it should -- circa 1990 -- and Perry was more interested in keeping it on track with the diluted sham that it is today.
Hello, I've just joined after lurking a while, I was on the "other place" a little before it got razed... anyhow, been meaning to register for a while and the above kinda sparked it.

Anyhow, to delete a long rambling post and try something more concise, doesn't anyone see a contradiction between what made Jane's great first time around (like: mixing things up to create something genuinely new and exciting) and people (including Eric A it seems) who think that it would be perfect if they sounded exactly the same as they did twenty years ago?

For all its flaws, I think TGEA would have been much, much weaker if Eric had stuck around, vetoing anything that sounded too modern because "it doesn't sound like Jane's (did in 1986)".

Romeo

#22 Post by Romeo » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:19 am

panicparty wrote:
NYRexall wrote:
It's more like Eric wanted the band to sound the way it should -- circa 1990 -- and Perry was more interested in keeping it on track with the diluted sham that it is today.
Hello, I've just joined after lurking a while, I was on the "other place" a little before it got razed... anyhow, been meaning to register for a while and the above kinda sparked it.

Anyhow, to delete a long rambling post and try something more concise, doesn't anyone see a contradiction between what made Jane's great first time around (like: mixing things up to create something genuinely new and exciting) and people (including Eric A it seems) who think that it would be perfect if they sounded exactly the same as they did twenty years ago?

For all its flaws, I think TGEA would have been much, much weaker if Eric had stuck around, vetoing anything that sounded too modern because "it doesn't sound like Jane's (did in 1986)".
HOW could TGEA sound any worse that it already does?

And personally I do not believe EA would reject anything "modern" If you base it on anything he has recorded solo, quite the opposite.

someguy

#23 Post by someguy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:30 am

I think what Eric was trying to say was that he wanted to strip it all down and take away some overstated elements (it's in a spin interview somewhere). He was also very open to implementing Perry's electronic stuff as noted in Sonny's interview- essentially just moving forward but capturing that lively spirit. That breakdown in Pigs in zen from '09 I think is a pretty good indication of where they were headed- i personally think that minute and a half of music beats anything off of TGEA.

Also, I keep picking up on some basslines off of lifetime and can't help but think they would've made some cool janes stuff. Just me though

Pandemonium

#24 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:06 am

panicparty wrote:Anyhow, to delete a long rambling post and try something more concise, doesn't anyone see a contradiction between what made Jane's great first time around (like: mixing things up to create something genuinely new and exciting) and people (including Eric A it seems) who think that it would be perfect if they sounded exactly the same as they did twenty years ago?

What I think many people believe is that Eric would have hopefully given the music a darker, edgier vibe then what Janes wound up doing with Perry firmly in the drivers seat. I don't think anyone actually wanted a Ritual pt2 or NS2 but something that at least in spirit and quality came close to what those albums achieved. At the very least Eric would have helped Perry with some of the more cringe-worthy lyrics. I'm not convinced the end product would have come within striking distance of their original music even with Eric fully involved but I believe it would have at least been a more compelling album than what they did without him. As it's been noted, there *was* some interesting stuff that at least Dave was putting together in the studio that is nowhere to be found on the album. But Dave seemingly content to be a passenger in the band, TGEA wound up being another Perry project... with guitars.

creep
Site Admin

#25 Post by creep » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:45 am

Pandemonium wrote: At the very least Eric would have helped Perry with some of the more cringe-worthy lyrics.
no way perry would let someone do that or most lead singers.

perry talked a lot about using technology in making new music in that interview. i think that is the main problem with the band. go back to basics...get four guys in the same room and start jamming. that is the only thing that could have made this work but that is not how it's done theses days.