68%
the great escape artist
32%

Total votes: 47

creep
Site Admin

strays vs. the great escape artist

#1 Post by creep » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:43 pm

just curious since it was brought up in another thread. i like strays much more and i like the strays demos even better than the finished version. the only song i like off tgea is underground.

Juana

Re: strays vs. the great escape artist

#2 Post by Juana » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:46 pm

Strays demos were good and Strays while a polished turd to me is still way better than TGEA. I literally listened to it once and threw it away.

NYRexall

#3 Post by NYRexall » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:59 pm

TGEA (Fixed)

:lol:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#4 Post by Hokahey » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:02 pm

the great escape meta world peace?

creep
Site Admin

#5 Post by creep » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:17 pm

hokahey wrote:the great escape meta world peace?
one advantage of being an admin is that i can edit my posts to correct my spelling. :banana:

Noonesshocking

#6 Post by Noonesshocking » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:20 pm

Strays gets my vote solely because it is not the great escape fartist.

MYXYLPLYX

#7 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:23 pm

creep
Site Admin

#8 Post by creep » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:31 pm

i'm surprised by the 6-0 so far. i remember quite a few liking tgea.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#9 Post by Hokahey » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:51 pm

Im not going to vote for Strays based off the demos. I'm considering finished product, and for me, TGEA was the moodier album.

JOEinPHX

#10 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:01 pm

I like TGEA better, although Just Because is probably my favorite song between the 2 albums.

intertwoven

#11 Post by intertwoven » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:18 pm

I like (not love) em both. if I had to pick one today to bring to a desert island, I'd probably go with TGEA mainly because it's fresher to me. And there are no songs I hate on it (whereas I hate Wrong Girl).
Though, I still stand by Colors of Earth and Plants as the best post-97 Jane's release. :dunce: Let's get that into the poll!

blackula

#12 Post by blackula » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:27 pm

Strays. Martyn understood Jane's. Even with Ezrin fucking up the sound, the song quality is there more than on TGEA. I know Chaney played on the record, but Martyn wrote that album with Perry, Dave and Stephen. It sounds like an older Jane's. TGEA just seemed like some weird experiment by a producer and a hipster. 3 lost dudes without direction. They lost EA. Duff quit. "Let's get a producer. Let's get the guy from TV on the Radio".

Matz

#13 Post by Matz » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:43 pm

blackula wrote:Strays. Martyn understood Jane's. Even with Ezrin fucking up the sound, the song quality is there more than on TGEA. I know Chaney played on the record, but Martyn wrote that album with Perry, Dave and Stephen. It sounds like an older Jane's. TGEA just seemed like some weird experiment by a producer and a hipster. 3 lost dudes without direction. They lost EA. Duff quit. "Let's get a producer. Let's get the guy from TV on the Radio".
yeah, that's pretty much where I come down too. Stray's got some magic to it, and like you say the songwriting is much stronger...I thought TGEA would get no votes at all, surprised it's 8-4 right now

Chaney did help write some of Strays by the way, I remember Dave said that he and Chaney wrote the breakdown in Price I pay in one afternoon

kv

#14 Post by kv » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:01 pm

strays is gonna win because when it came out people still had hope...i think if tega came out first then it would win

someguy

#15 Post by someguy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:33 pm

I feel like the pitchfork reviews of both records sum it up nicely

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/4203-strays/

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/159 ... addiction/

I forgot that strays got really good reviews upon its release.

Also random, but does anyone else notice that words out of my mouth sounds like planet of sound by the pixies?

Diabolik

#16 Post by Diabolik » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:07 pm

TGEA has less songs I like then Strays, but I like them MORE.

Matz

#17 Post by Matz » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:30 pm

someguy wrote:I feel like the pitchfork reviews of both records sum it up nicely

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/4203-strays/

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/159 ... addiction/

I forgot that strays got really good reviews upon its release.

Also random, but does anyone else notice that words out of my mouth sounds like planet of sound by the pixies?
very interesting reviews and pretty dead on imo, the guy writing the Strays one's favorite song is Superhero :lol:

10-7 in favor of Strays.... :scared: :scared: :scared: thought it's be 15-2 by now

creep
Site Admin

#18 Post by creep » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:51 pm

tgea is making a big comeback. it will probably end in a tie. now ns vs. rdlh should be an easy victory for ns. :nod:

trevor ayer

#19 Post by trevor ayer » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:55 pm

NYRexall wrote:TGEA (Fixed)

:lol:
hey rexall .. i think yer girlfriend hacked yer account .. :lol:

i am a pretty humble guy but Fixed really does destroy TGEA .. (ps i have a nagging suspicion you might like nin so i thought u should know my title refers both to the nin remix and etty's effect on perrys nuts) (pps .. there will eventually be a remaster with bonus trax called FIXXXED .. but i have a lot of other shit to work on first .. someday)

till then ...

http://trevorayer.bandcamp.com/album/fi ... revor-ayer

Mescal

#20 Post by Mescal » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:35 pm

Juana wrote:Strays demos were good and Strays while a polished turd to me is still way better than TGEA. I literally listened to it once and threw it away.
Yep, that's the way I would have said it.

Listened to TGEA when I bought it, and never felt the nood to listen to it again. I played Strays all the way through more than a few times. Can't listen to TGEA artist all the way through.

The guitar player in my (rather new) band bought TGEA last week in a sort of promo 3 cd's for 20 € kinda thing. He said that at least it didn't sound like it was recorded in a basement. (unlike Nothing's Shocking, which I gave him to listen to a while back)

panicparty

#21 Post by panicparty » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:47 am

TGEA for me. I liked Strays when it came out, with a couple of exceptions, right up until I got TGEA. Now I can't listen to Strays without getting pissed.

Strays doesn't sound like Jane's Addiction at all. I know it's all Ezrin's fault, and I agree with Martyn that he didn't understand Jane's and that trying to make them sound like a rawk band was a huge mistake, but it was what happened. I could live with it as a fan, thinking that 15 years on I couldn't expect them to sound like they did and if what they had in them now was generic rock then, okay, they can do generic rock better than a lot of other bands so fine with me. And Just Because is great.

But, I'm reminded when I listen to TGEA of a twitter exchange of DN's during the making of it. Someone tweeted Dave with "what's the new stuff sound like" and he replied something like "it sounds like fucking Jane's Addiction" and, a million times more than Strays, I think he was right.

So now, when I hear Strays, knowing that they were still more than capable of doing something more interesting than straight out generic rock, it really pisses me off that Strays sounds so boringly generic.

I'm not one for saying that an album or band is "better" than another, but I do think that, musically if not lyrically, TGEA is among the more interesting Jane's albums, and Strays is musically, by a large margin, the least interesting thing they've ever done.

Hype

#22 Post by Hype » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:22 am

TGEA is pretty fucking uninteresting too. At least Strays had a couple of throw-away tracks from the 80s on it. But neither is uh... good.

sinep

#23 Post by sinep » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:24 am

i listened to strays more than twice.

i've heard more justin bieber songs in my life than i have tgea songs.

Mescal

#24 Post by Mescal » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:28 am

sinep wrote:i listened to strays more than twice.

i've heard more justin bieber songs in my life than i have tgea songs.
Great, now baby, baby, baby is stuck in my head.

Well, rather that than something with 'the real head' in it I suppose

Hokahey
Site Admin

#25 Post by Hokahey » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:29 am

Sonically, TGEA has the far more interesting moments. Plus, Underground is better than anything on Strays and "feels" like a JA song.