Your favorite "Eric and Handsome Mike" encounters

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects

Re: Your favorite "Eric and Handsome Mike" encounters

Postby Jasper » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:29 pm

MYXYLPLYX wrote::confused:

But... he's Jewish?


Irving Berlin wrote White Christmas. Mel Tormé co-wrote The Christmas Song (Chestnuts roasting on an open fire...). Mel even recorded an entire Christmas album. So did David Grisman. So did Barbra Streisand. So did Phil Spector, Neil Diamond, Harry Connick Jr., Carole King, Barry Manilow, Bob Dylan, and Kenny G.

Source for the last part of that list:

If there’s anything a Jew knows how to do, it’s embrace a moneymaking opportunity. Even if it does involve selling schmaltz to the goyim.
http://www.jewcy.com/arts-and-culture/t ... _made_jews
User avatar
Jasper
 
Posts: 2322
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:28 pm

Re: Your favorite "Eric and Handsome Mike" encounters

Postby Romeo » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:39 am

we jews are musical people! :banana:










not great athletes but musical
User avatar
Romeo
 
Posts: 2963
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: St. andrews

Re: Your favorite "Eric and Handsome Mike" encounters

Postby Essence_Smith » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:47 am

Pure Method wrote:Sonny,

I do believe people were talking about your "prediction" that this place would crash and burn quickly - one I remember you making - not that this place wouldn't be xiola. But oh well. water under the bridge. :wiggle:

If we continued interacting with one another the way we were doing collectively at the time xiola went down it would have crashed and burned quickly...it was like the east coast west coast rap wars in the 90's over there...somebody woulda got hurt... :lol:
Much better vibes amongst us these days...I thinking watching that board die contributed to that...
User avatar
Essence_Smith
 
Posts: 2146
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm

Re: Your favorite "Eric and Handsome Mike" encounters

Postby Hype » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:31 am

Romeo wrote:we jews are musical people! :banana:










not great athletes but musical


Yeah that Sandy Koufax was a hell of a violinist. I heard him and Itzhak Perlman do a wicked duet version of Ziguenerweisen one time. :rockon: :lol:
User avatar
Hype
 
Posts: 6245
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:44 pm

Re: Your favorite "Eric and Handsome Mike" encounters

Postby Romeo » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:26 pm

If you compare the lists of Jewish Athletes to Jewish Musicians


Musicians win


For example:
Jewish Baseball players, current & retired

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jso ... lltoc.html


Jewish American (only) musicians

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:J ... _musicians


Boom! :banana:
User avatar
Romeo
 
Posts: 2963
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: St. andrews

Re: Your favorite "Eric and Handsome Mike" encounters

Postby Romeo » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:30 pm

User avatar
Romeo
 
Posts: 2963
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: St. andrews

Re: Your favorite "Eric and Handsome Mike" encounters

Postby Essence_Smith » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:35 pm

Hey Romeo...I thought you were only half Jewish? :hs:
User avatar
Essence_Smith
 
Posts: 2146
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm

Re: Your favorite "Eric and Handsome Mike" encounters

Postby Romeo » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:42 pm

nope.

100% My Maternal grandfather was my only grandparent not born Jewish (Italian Catholic) but he converted to marry my Jewish Grandmother.
Paternal were both Jewish from Russia and Romania
User avatar
Romeo
 
Posts: 2963
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: St. andrews

Re: Your favorite "Eric and Handsome Mike" encounters

Postby sonny » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:40 am

Pandemonium wrote:
sonny wrote:in the spirit of discussion, i was extremely disappointed in eric avery's decision to quite NIN. it seemed like a cop-out or a cover for the real reason. sorta like when politicians quit to spend more time with their family. for someone who was so honest about jane's addiction, it seemed like a flimsy reason to quit a challenging role.


I agree to a point. Just going strictly on what was said by Eric and Reznor, I think Trent reached out to him when Reznor first decided to put together a touring band and Eric didn't think it through and agreed before knowing or understanding the full scope both musically and logistically what the tour would encompass. I'm sure there's more to it than that, but that basic explanation fits Erics typical lifetime MO - meaning he bails at his convenience, he doesn't stick around a gig for months or years past his time he feels he's done with it. Looking at how the current band presents itself live, I don't think Eric would have been a good fit unlike if he had been a part of NIN in any of the last decade's lineups.


I personally would like avery to step out of his controlling comfort zone and this would've been a good opportunity. I can see what he wanted to, i can also see a half dozen reasons why he couldn't do it. the stage lights being the obvious one.
User avatar
sonny
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:14 am

Re: Your favorite "Eric and Handsome Mike" encounters

Postby sonny » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:50 am

Pure Method wrote:Sonny,

I do believe people were talking about your "prediction" that this place would crash and burn quickly - one I remember you making - not that this place wouldn't be xiola. But oh well. water under the bridge. :wiggle:


i seem to remember saying it wouldn't last more than a few months or possibly, it wouldn't be here "this time next year". i can't remember exactly and i may have said multiple things that predicted different downfalls for this message board.

it is still here, whether it's as relevant as xiola.org, is what i was addressing recently.

i thought more folks came to xiola.org and this site for jane's addiction discussions, but clearly i was wrong about that. i thought with fewer JA discussions, fewer people would show up. i was wrong about that as well.

it's not xiola.org, it's different and ANR works for more people than i ever thought it would.

my original prediction was more about trying to relay how hard i worked on xiola.org to be a relevant jane's addiction site and that it couldn't just be moved to a new domain under different management and be the same. xiola.org as a site, meant something to me once, but on reflection i can only say it looks like a huge waste of time which is all on me.
User avatar
sonny
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:14 am

Re: Your favorite "Eric and Handsome Mike" encounters

Postby SR » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:57 am

In the end, it was the band who made it a waste of time. I didn't always agree with your decisions over there, but you laid some real inroads to credibility with the interview and other things. :rockon: Really, anyone who runs these boards should get some credit as it's just a place to gather for some really good people with diverse backstories and a few dimwit punks. I get real weary with the comparisons; sometimes we just need to get out of the sandbox.

:oldtimer:
User avatar
SR
 
Posts: 6191
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:56 pm

Re: Your favorite "Eric and Handsome Mike" encounters

Postby sonny » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:12 am

SR wrote:In the end, it was the band who made it a waste of time. I didn't always agree with your decisions over there, but you laid some real inroads to credibility with the interview and other things. :rockon: Really, anyone who runs these boards should get some credit as it's just a place to gather for some really good people with diverse backstories and a few dimwit punks. I get real weary with the comparisons; sometimes we just need to get out of the sandbox.

:oldtimer:


i agree, the comparisons aren't always fair. some of it's the era. i just know i worked hard to keep things interesting. i worked hard to talk to band members or people related to them without being compromised by that contact. i even worked hard working out a concise amount of boards to discuss things. whether we needed a whole new section for a specific discussion is something i watched and worked on for years to get just the right amount of sections to discuss stuff, so it's not too many or that one section is too broad or too many threads. i worked on themes, colors, the right width of the board so most people could view it.

the titles of the sections. i spent a good bit of time just working on which smilies would work, which ones weren't being used, so you didn't have to sort through hundreds of smilies.

i tried a lot of different stuff over the years that people just do now. erik and mike included, just cop what i did and make it their own shit.

maybe i belly ached over the small stuff more than i should have, but i think it made for a good experience.

the progress is just passed along. all the work erik and mike just copied from my site and gavin's site and various others is just used without regard. someone could easily grab the info from erik and mike's site and use it for yet another JA site and they just might feel the way i do about all those years of gathering jane's addiction shit to share with folks and now anyone can grab that hard work, put it up and say "look how easy it is to run a jane's addiction site, he's just bitter that it's so easy for us to do". yeah, it's easy, because the grunt work has been done for the last decade by other folks.
User avatar
sonny
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:14 am

Re: Your favorite "Eric and Handsome Mike" encounters

Postby SR » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:30 am

Never occurred to me. As a dinosaur member, and a remedial computer person, I just never thought about the minutia. Financial burdens I understand, so when that issue comes up, I try to step up a bit though.
User avatar
SR
 
Posts: 6191
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:56 pm

Re: Your favorite "Eric and Handsome Mike" encounters

Postby Juana » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:41 am

SR wrote:Never occurred to me. As a dinosaur member, and a remedial computer person, I just never thought about the minutia. Financial burdens I understand, so when that issue comes up, I try to step up a bit though.


I agree here.
Juana
 
Posts: 4683
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:52 pm

Re: Your favorite "Eric and Handsome Mike" encounters

Postby SR » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:53 am

Juana wrote:
SR wrote:Never occurred to me. As a dinosaur member, and a remedial computer person, I just never thought about the minutia. Financial burdens I understand, so when that issue comes up, I try to step up a bit though.


I agree here.

I'll wager you're better with these machines.
User avatar
SR
 
Posts: 6191
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:56 pm

Re: Your favorite "Eric and Handsome Mike" encounters

Postby Juana » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:14 am

Honestly I'm not, I just use Google and find some kid's Youtube of how to computer and learn that way. I'm good with recording software and POS type software because I have to be but the rest of this.. I get pissed and use Google like everyone else :lolol:

But honestly the web, I have learned all kinds of cool shit on the web.
Juana
 
Posts: 4683
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:52 pm

Re: Your favorite "Eric and Handsome Mike" encounters

Postby Pandemonium » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:45 am

Juana wrote:Honestly I'm not, I just use Google and find some kid's Youtube of how to computer and learn that way. I'm good with recording software and POS type software because I have to be but the rest of this.. I get pissed and use Google like everyone else :lolol:

But honestly the web, I have learned all kinds of cool shit on the web.


I learned how to install a toilet.
User avatar
Pandemonium
 
Posts: 4999
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:18 pm

Re: Your favorite "Eric and Handsome Mike" encounters

Postby creep » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:50 pm

sonny wrote:
my original prediction was more about trying to relay how hard i worked on xiola.org to be a relevant jane's addiction site and that it couldn't just be moved to a new domain under different management and be the same. xiola.org as a site, meant something to me once, but on reflection i can only say it looks like a huge waste of time which is all on me.


i think i can speak for hoka too...we put absolutely zero work and effort in this site. :tiphat:

it's just a message board where a bunch of people that once had something in common ended up. that's it. i don't think either of us ever wanted to make it anything more.
creep
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9134
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:51 am

Re: Your favorite "Eric and Handsome Mike" encounters

Postby sonny » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:23 am

creep wrote:
sonny wrote:
my original prediction was more about trying to relay how hard i worked on xiola.org to be a relevant jane's addiction site and that it couldn't just be moved to a new domain under different management and be the same. xiola.org as a site, meant something to me once, but on reflection i can only say it looks like a huge waste of time which is all on me.


i think i can speak for hoka too...we put absolutely zero work and effort in this site. :tiphat:

it's just a message board where a bunch of people that once had something in common ended up. that's it. i don't think either of us ever wanted to make it anything more.


i completely understand. it's a smart way to do things. again, with hindsight i wish i had been less involved, but i'm not sure it would've lasted or been near as interesting considering the subjects we were covering.

it's hard to relay an experience from my point of view. my fault.
User avatar
sonny
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:14 am

Re: Your favorite "Eric and Handsome Mike" encounters

Postby kv » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:58 am

naw thats a fair point back in xiola's heyday it was way more about jane's then it is now (obviously) but i also remember a point when 1% was the site for jane's and xiola was the fun hangout...so everything cycles


good to see you posting with your six shooters in their holsters :tiphat:
User avatar
kv
 
Posts: 6851
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:08 pm
Location: South Bay, SoCal

PreviousNext

Return to Jane's Addiction News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest