Nothing's Shocking- 25 years later

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
LJF

Nothing's Shocking- 25 years later

#1 Post by LJF » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:38 am

The album was released 25 years ago on the 23rd. Here is an interesting article about it, with a little from PF. One part that stands out to me is him saying, "“When Nothing’s Shocking came out, I became much more of a worldly human being. That took me a while, thirty years. Now, I am able to relate to the man standing next to me in the elevator. Back then, he might be scared of me. Today, he might find me to be a refreshing conversationalist. I was always a good person, but back then, I just didn’t look like it. Now, after all this time, and having children and aging, but aging–like a wine would–I enjoy my life more than ever. I meet people who are tremendous and valuable, valuable to the world, they invite me to places. Back then, I was f***ed up, I don’t think they were able to relate to me.” This is why he writes the lyrics and music he does now.

http://news.radio.com/2013/08/27/janes- ... ersary-25/

In Not Fade Away, we take a look at the legacy of some of the greatest albums of the past few decades – some iconic, some lesser known – as they celebrate significant anniversaries. Here, we focus on Jane’s Addiction‘s the album that introduced them to radio and MTV, and tore down the walls between what was then called “alternative” music and heavy metal. The record turned 25 this past week.

Decades after its release, it routinely pops up on “Best Albums Of All Time” charts. But if anyone ever puts together a “Most Deceptively Titled Albums Of All Time,” Nothing’s Shocking may top that one.

First off, there’s the obvious: that album cover. We can’t show it here, but you know it: the black and white sculpture of two nude women conjoined at the shoulder and hips sitting on a chair with their hair on fire.

And speaking of sex and violence, there was the song whose lyrics gave the album its name, “Ted, Just Admit It,” which featured a sample of an interview clip with murderer Ted Bundy. The lyrics “Showed me everybody naked and disfigured/ Nothing’s shocking/ Now sister’s not a virgin anymore/ er sex is violent…” led to a chanting of “Sex! Is! Violent!” Yes, Jane’s was a quintessentially L.A. band, but this wasn’t what Sunset Strippers Mötley Crüe, Ratt and Poison were singing about.

And the frontman, Perry Farrell: a white, dreadlocked banshee who didn’t sing, at least in the conventional sense. He was like Jim Morrison, David Bowie, David Johansen, Iggy Pop and Michael Stipe rolled into one wild-eyed, bursting-with-energy, surfer-dude. He was a hippie, he was a punk, he was a shaman and he was a huckster.

Also shocking: no one seemed to be able to put a label on the band in an era where most bands were fairly easy to categorize. They had the power of Led Zeppelin, but Farrell hardly resembled Robert Plant. Everyone he wrote about seemed like a real person darker side of L.A, not some cloudy, Tolkien fantasy. Similarly, Navarro’s playing was dynamic like Jimmy Page’s, but unlike many other L.A. players, he didn’t sound like Jimmy Page. While much of L.A. was aping Zeppelin’s style, Jane’s came off as more of the heir apparent to that band’s throne by not cloning the original.

And like Zeppelin, they had great acoustic songs as well. Case in point: “Jane Says,” which at first listen is a bit Zeppelin III, but Page/Plant never wrote lyrics that cut like these. Propelled by acoustic guitar and steel drums, it was a moving tribute to Farrell and Avery’s one-time housemate Jane Bainter, who’s “gonna kick tomorrow” when she “gets her money saved.” She doesn’t know what love is like “I only know they want me.” There’s no judging, just an observation of a tragic figure.

That song got played on “alternative rock” radio alongside the likes of Depeche Mode and the Cure, but Jane’s pulled a metal audience, and appealed to punks as well. This was in the days before Farrell invented the Lollapalooza tour, and those clans didn’t often meet at concerts, or really anywhere else.

The album changed a lot of things in the music business and could be pointed to as the record that led to alternative’s rushing of the mainstream. But Perry Farrell told Radio.com how it changed his life.

“Prior to that, I was a kid in Los Angeles, I guess you could call me a street urchin, I was hanging out with a lot of other musicians in the city, it was a very different scene back then. It was built around music. Today, there’s a lot of other things for young people to do. We didn’t have computer games and social media.”

Conversations with Farrell tend to be wide-ranging and protracted; the pithy soundbite answer is not for him. “When Nothing’s Shocking came out, I became much more of a worldly human being. That took me a while, thirty years. Now, I am able to relate to the man standing next to me in the elevator. Back then, he might be scared of me. Today, he might find me to be a refreshing conversationalist. I was always a good person, but back then, I just didn’t look like it. Now, after all this time, and having children and aging, but aging–like a wine would–I enjoy my life more than ever. I meet people who are tremendous and valuable, valuable to the world, they invite me to places. Back then, I was f***ed up, I don’t think they were able to relate to me.”

Related: Alice In Chains, Jane’s Addiction, Walking Papers Highlight Uproar Festival

Farrell says that he wasn’t able to relate to a lot of the bands playing on the Sunset Strip at the time: while Jane’s and the hair metal bands all liberally used female imagery, there was a difference: “There’s a lot of ways you can view a woman if you’re a fella. You can look at them like they are something to f***. There’s another way to look at them. You could look at them as if they are an object of desire, someone to impress, and someone to admire, and someone to build a life with. I’ve always been that kind of a guy. There’s always been guys around, playboys — you can be a playboy, that’s cool. For me, I always wanted to maximize the relationship that I would have with a woman. I always wanted to make it into something grand that would be worthy of a novel. Our relationship would be historical , a timeless romance, we would have a great family, and do great things together, and make amazing Christmas cards. I’ve been fortunate,” he notes, referring to his marriage to Etty Lau Farrell.

Which isn’t to say that he didn’t like anyone from L.A. Two of the city’s top alternative rock bands, the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Fishbone, are represented on “Idiots Rule” – Flea from the Chilis plays trumpet while Fishbone’s Angelo Moore plays sax and Chris Dowd plays trombone. Both bands would eventually play Lollapalooza, along with Nine Inch Nails, Living Colour, the Rollins Band, Ministry, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Primus, Alice In Chains, Tool, Rage Against The Machine and Smashing Pumpkins.

Does Farrell think of that era as a particularly special one? “If you look at entertainment as a pastime… there’s a golden era of baseball, there’s a golden era of boxing, and yes, there was a golden era of music. That was a golden era , in my mind. We didn’t have computers, [rock] groups were more important to us. We used to wear our music on the back of our leather jackets. When was the last time you saw that?”

When asked if he felt that Nothing’s Shocking broke down barriers, he answers quickly: “I sure did! I love Nothing’s Shocking [but] I feel [the 1990 follow-up album] Ritual de lo Habitual is our best album. As a matter of fact, when we were together at that time, I saved the best songs for Ritual. ‘Three Days’ and ‘Then She Did’ those two songs I would say are the greatest accomplishments we had.”

Nothing’s Shocking and Ritual make up a good portion of Jane’s setlists, all these years later. . Does he ever tire of singing them? “They’re like my family: I love them, I don’t get tired of them. I’m proud of them.”

Kajicat

Re: Nothing's Shocking- 25 years later

#2 Post by Kajicat » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:52 am

LJF wrote:The album was released 25 years ago on the 23rd. Here is an interesting article about it, with a little from PF. One part that stands out to me is him saying, "“When Nothing’s Shocking came out, I became much more of a worldly human being. That took me a while, thirty years. Now, I am able to relate to the man standing next to me in the elevator. Back then, he might be scared of me. Today, he might find me to be a refreshing conversationalist. I was always a good person, but back then, I just didn’t look like it. Now, after all this time, and having children and aging, but aging–like a wine would–I enjoy my life more than ever. I meet people who are tremendous and valuable, valuable to the world, they invite me to places. Back then, I was f***ed up, I don’t think they were able to relate to me.” This is why he writes the lyrics and music he does now.
I find myself to be in a similar situation. I used to get fucked up all the time, and was anti-"The Man." Now I'm older, don't get fucked up anymore, and I AM "The Man" (buisness/litigation). I used to be extremely liberal, but now I completely understand the conservative side and ride the fence when it comes to politics. Perry doesn't stand for what he once did, and neither do I. People get older, people change. NS is great, but I still listen to and enjoy Strays/TGEA too.

CaseyContrarian

#3 Post by CaseyContrarian » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:09 am

That sounds like equivocation. I'm 39. I've changed in some ways (better listener, more inclined to entertaining other perspectives, less selfish) but my fundamental political orientation, aesthetics and commitment to integrity hasn't been altered one bit. It still gets me in trouble sometimes, and I'm fine with that.

More tolerance, but no excuses.

LJF

#4 Post by LJF » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:04 pm

Kajicat wrote:
LJF wrote:The album was released 25 years ago on the 23rd. Here is an interesting article about it, with a little from PF. One part that stands out to me is him saying, "“When Nothing’s Shocking came out, I became much more of a worldly human being. That took me a while, thirty years. Now, I am able to relate to the man standing next to me in the elevator. Back then, he might be scared of me. Today, he might find me to be a refreshing conversationalist. I was always a good person, but back then, I just didn’t look like it. Now, after all this time, and having children and aging, but aging–like a wine would–I enjoy my life more than ever. I meet people who are tremendous and valuable, valuable to the world, they invite me to places. Back then, I was f***ed up, I don’t think they were able to relate to me.” This is why he writes the lyrics and music he does now.
I find myself to be in a similar situation. I used to get fucked up all the time, and was anti-"The Man." Now I'm older, don't get fucked up anymore, and I AM "The Man" (buisness/litigation). I used to be extremely liberal, but now I completely understand the conservative side and ride the fence when it comes to politics. Perry doesn't stand for what he once did, and neither do I. People get older, people change. NS is great, but I still listen to and enjoy Strays/TGEA too.

We are all "the man". Yes we are all aware that you enjoy Strays & TGEA and that is wonderful, but the things that made NS & Ritual great don't exist in PF's world anymore. Anyone expecting them to put out something like that again are delusional.

Romeo

#5 Post by Romeo » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:24 pm

I meet people who are tremendous and valuable, valuable to the world, they invite me to places
translates into I suck the teet of some rich leech to feel important, I leech them they leech me.

And like Casey I too am older and wiser but my beliefs are exactly the same. I just express myself a little more eloquently.
I have more way patience & way more self confidence than I did 25 years ago.

Kajicat

#6 Post by Kajicat » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:07 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote:That sounds like equivocation. I'm 39. I've changed in some ways (better listener, more inclined to entertaining other perspectives, less selfish) but my fundamental political orientation, aesthetics and commitment to integrity hasn't been altered one bit. It still gets me in trouble sometimes, and I'm fine with that.

My aesthetics have changed. My job doesn't allow for me to have long hair, or wear bandannas. I have to dress in business attire. However, I cut my hair back to being short before I got out of college anyways, so that didn't really matter. I don't wear baggy pants anymore like I did in the 90's, either. Politically, both sides suck, so to me, completely siding with one side or the other is pointless. Both the conservative and liberal views have good and bad points. When I was younger, I barely gave the conservative side any chance and was more ignorant. In general though, I've always been a good listener. I still enjoy when people "break the rules" but you certainly won't see me partaking in it anymore.

I'm still Agnostic. Pretty sure I always will be.
LJF wrote:We are all "the man". Yes we are all aware that you enjoy Strays & TGEA and that is wonderful, but the things that made NS & Ritual great don't exist in PF's world anymore. Anyone expecting them to put out something like that again are delusional.
But some of us are more "The Man" than others. Also, did I ever say I was expecting Jane's to put out something like NS or Ritual ever again? Nope, I didn't. And I strongly feel that they won't. That last sentence of yours made it seem like you were implying that I thought that.

LJF

#7 Post by LJF » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:27 pm

Kajicat wrote:
CaseyContrarian wrote:That sounds like equivocation. I'm 39. I've changed in some ways (better listener, more inclined to entertaining other perspectives, less selfish) but my fundamental political orientation, aesthetics and commitment to integrity hasn't been altered one bit. It still gets me in trouble sometimes, and I'm fine with that.

My aesthetics have changed. My job doesn't allow for me to have long hair, or wear bandannas. I have to dress in business attire. However, I cut my hair back to being short before I got out of college anyways, so that didn't really matter. I don't wear baggy pants anymore like I did in the 90's, either. Politically, both sides suck, so to me, completely siding with one side or the other is pointless. Both the conservative and liberal views have good and bad points. When I was younger, I barely gave the conservative side any chance and was more ignorant. In general though, I've always been a good listener. I still enjoy when people "break the rules" but you certainly won't see me partaking in it anymore.

I'm still Agnostic. Pretty sure I always will be.
LJF wrote:We are all "the man". Yes we are all aware that you enjoy Strays & TGEA and that is wonderful, but the things that made NS & Ritual great don't exist in PF's world anymore. Anyone expecting them to put out something like that again are delusional.
But some of us are more "The Man" than others. Also, did I ever say I was expecting Jane's to put out something like NS or Ritual ever again? Nope, I didn't. And I strongly feel that they won't. That last sentence of yours made it seem like you were implying that I thought that.

Nope I was making a general statement. What are the degrees of being "the man"? People try to rebel the man or be against the man, it makes no sense really. We are all either the man or no one is the man.

JOEinPHX

#8 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:23 am

"The man": an idea of fucking fraud.

The government is not the man. The government is the government.

The boss of a company is just a guy trying to make a profit.

Hippies are fucking retarded. Fuck them and all their ideas. They all grew up to sell the very idea they thought they were a part of.

Make as much money as you can without fucking over others. There is no man. You're the man. The man of your own destiny. If you let someone else control you, it's your own lack of ambition or ability to achieve his heights.

CaseyContrarian

#9 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:03 am

There are structural inequities perpetuated by those in a position to use wealth to generate more wealth for themselves at the systemic disadvantage of, well, almost everyone.

We are all a part of this system.

Which is why personal integrity and wakefulness regarding the degree of one's complicity is the only freedom. At least as the game is currently configured.

LJF

#10 Post by LJF » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:14 am

When NS first came out I didn't know about JA I wouldn't discover them for another few years, but I can imagine how different they were for that time. What is so great about tht album and JA in general is they didn't fit into one type of music. NS stands the test of time and is a sad reminder of how great them were.

Kajicat

#11 Post by Kajicat » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:27 am

I wonder, did Perry ever talk about "The Man"...? Or at least make a reference towards it?

I agree with you all that we are all part of the system, but some are going more out of there way than others to profit off of others. The rest do so unintentionally because they simply don't realize it...it's just the way of life unfortunately. How the system works.

feathers mcgraw

#12 Post by feathers mcgraw » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:19 pm

"you know that man you hate, you look more like him every day..."

clickie

#13 Post by clickie » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:52 pm

I guess Dave said on his radio show theyre gonna play the entire album live at the 50 yr anniversary.

Diabolik

#14 Post by Diabolik » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:57 pm

Have they ever played it from beginning to end?

Citiclub89

#15 Post by Citiclub89 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:21 am

Hello ANR community! First time post long time lurker LOL. Was member on xioloa.org before Sonny shut it down. I'm 43 and needless to say like most of you, JA change/shaped my life as a youth. I had a brother attending TuLane University in 86 and he would come home with incredible vinyl from JA live album to RHCP ULMFPP to Nirvana Bleach. It blew me away in an age where Poison ruled the airwaves. I saw JA for the first time at the CitiClub in 89 in Boston. Still the greatest performance i've ever seen. Not necessarily in sound or length or quality but shear Rawness. They had such an air about themselves of confidence that they were not only holding the "Golden Egg" but the "Golden Goose" of new music. I remember being in the front row on EA side in total awe. EA was a consumate professional but totally in to the feel of the crowd. I remember they left for a bit (presumably) to shoot up (or so the legend goes) and came back to play. EA leaned back and allowed us to play his bass during one of the songs. He had finger puppets on his tuning pegs and somebody from the crowd reached up and took them. He was in a trance as we were we. When he came to and looked down, he noticed his finger puppets gone and backed up for the rest of the show! LOL
As many of you I spent a majority of my 20's following this band (via bootlegs mostly) through PFP, Side projects etc always hoping the original line-up would get back together. :banghead: When they finally did, whether you blame EA or Perry they fKd it up yet again!
I have not seen them since 2002 or 03 and it was horrible. I've decided it was time to give them another shot as they are playing a small venue at the horseshoe in Cincinnatti later this month. I have not hope for any material they put out as being noteworthy as they have dissappointed time and time again.
Anyways as this is the 25th anniversary of the release of NS, an album that I consider a top 10 album of all time. It should be given its due in a small part.

Nice to finally say hello in person as opposed to lurking LOL (actually I tried to register but nobody responded to my first request a year ago LOL)

bman

#16 Post by bman » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:31 am

Have Fun. They are still killer live (sometimes).

Hokahey
Site Admin

#17 Post by Hokahey » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:07 am

Welcome friend, and thanks for sharing. Nice to read.

Jasper

#18 Post by Jasper » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:39 pm

Kajicat wrote:I wonder, did Perry ever talk about "The Man"...? Or at least make a reference towards it?
Seriously?

The man from the government
The man from the tax board
The man in the public school
The man owns the golden rule
feathers mcgraw wrote:"you know that man you hate, you look more like him every day..."
That too.

CaseyContrarian

#19 Post by CaseyContrarian » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:54 pm

Exactly. Seriously?

:no:

JOEinPHX

#20 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:15 pm

Diabolik wrote:Have they ever played it from beginning to end?
Why would they do that? People might want to see that.

Noonesshocking

#21 Post by Noonesshocking » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:15 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Diabolik wrote:Have they ever played it from beginning to end?
Why would they do that? People might want to see that.
People want to see immersive house music interactive theater. Wow, just typing the phrase "immersive house music interactive theater" is giving me a boner.

Bring. On. Kind. Fucking. Heaven.

SofiaForever

#22 Post by SofiaForever » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:22 pm

Fuck the man! man!

blackcoffee

#23 Post by blackcoffee » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:27 am

Jasper wrote:
Kajicat wrote:I wonder, did Perry ever talk about "The Man"...? Or at least make a reference towards it?
Seriously?

feathers mcgraw wrote:"you know that man you hate, you look more like him every day..."
That too.

And 1% gets at this same idea.

Larry B.

#24 Post by Larry B. » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:42 pm

clickie wrote:I guess Dave said on his radio show theyre gonna play the entire album live at the 50 yr anniversary.
I'm guessing "play" as in "press play and listen to it in a podcast no one will listen to except for bman and Kajicat and Pete"

Kajicat

#25 Post by Kajicat » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:59 am

Jasper wrote:
Seriously?

That too.
And THAT is what I was looking for! So, I'm guessing a lot of you agreed with Perry's words back in the day in regards to "The Man"...but nowadays everyone has grown up and has a different, more mature outlook on how society works. Perry has also grown out of that outlook. While I still believe someone can be more "The Man" (a politician) than others (some dude working checkout at Costco), I wonder why some of you are so quick to say WE ARE THE MAN yet thought Perry was so cool back in the day and sucks now. Doesn't leave much room to fault the guy for slinging stuff like Dobel then. It's just easy sales to earn a profit. If you're The Man and he's The Man, what's so bad about him making some money on the side with Dobel? It's not like he's some crooked politician doing way worse harm to society.

I bet some of you were quite against the The Man back in the day, but now with your new point of view, you gotta' see that you're not much different than Perry and if Dobel wanted to work a deal with you, you might just take it as well...