Interesting post by Eric

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Tyler Durden

Re: Interesting post by Eric

#26 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:39 am

hokahey wrote:
Jasper wrote:
Bandit72 wrote:
Jasper wrote:A thing I've always wondered was whether Eric hated Of Course or not. The story is that he refused to come into the studio to put down the bass that day, opting to go surfing instead, resulting in a studio musician doing the bass. It was never clear what the reason was, but given the band's interpersonal problems, it could have been any number of things.

The interesting thing is that EA reported (in sonny's interviews with him) that he'd made an unsuccessful attempt to get the band to rehearse the song for inclusion in NINJA sets.
:crying: Imagine all that could have been...
Yes! I would have loved to have heard that version. Too bad the rest of those guys lack any balls.
That's why I find it so irritating when they try to sell this new album in interviews. Either they are full of shit or it makes you wonder what their problem was during the reunion with Eric. Maybe Dave and Stephen were too scared to side with Eric, for fear of Perry's hissy fits. :banghead:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#27 Post by Hokahey » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:53 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
hokahey wrote:
Jasper wrote:
Bandit72 wrote:
Jasper wrote:A thing I've always wondered was whether Eric hated Of Course or not. The story is that he refused to come into the studio to put down the bass that day, opting to go surfing instead, resulting in a studio musician doing the bass. It was never clear what the reason was, but given the band's interpersonal problems, it could have been any number of things.

The interesting thing is that EA reported (in sonny's interviews with him) that he'd made an unsuccessful attempt to get the band to rehearse the song for inclusion in NINJA sets.
:crying: Imagine all that could have been...
Yes! I would have loved to have heard that version. Too bad the rest of those guys lack any balls.
That's why I find it so irritating when they try to sell this new album in interviews. Either they are full of shit or it makes you wonder what their problem was during the reunion with Eric. Maybe Dave and Stephen were too scared to side with Eric, for fear of Perry's hissy fits. :banghead:
Here's how I see it:

Based on my interactions with people around the band in 2004 when they broke up - Stephen and Dave wanted to be a world class arena rock band and thought they didn't need Perry (sound familiar?). Prior to 2001 Jane's reunion, Stephen was selling his own autographed stuff on Ebay for a quick buck. As it was explained to me, Jane's was offered a million, 250K each to play the inaugural Coachella in '99. Perry turned it down and the rest of the band, especially Perk, was livid. They wanted the money.

Keep in mind, these are stories told to me to make Perry look bad. I don't think it dawned on anyone it made the other guys look like they cared more about money than Jane's.

When Perry began hampering their ability to make some cash by being flaky and focusing on Lolla in 04, they jumped ship and tried to land a radio friendly singer so they could become a mainstream, big money band. We all know what happened next. I stopped having any contact with these guys after 2005, so I can't say with any confidence what the mentality has been since.

I would guess that Perk and Dave know where their bread is buttered and have conceded more authority back to Perry to ensure the Jane's machine keeps running.

Perry always has Lolla.

I suppose you could argue that Dave has all of his side gigs, but Jane's keeps him in the spotlight to land those gigs. I think more than anything Dave is motivated by stardom and Jane's is what ultimately keeps that star burning.

At the end of the day, Perry was always well intentioned in regards to Jane's. But he has certain influences that I believe pressure him to maintain his rockstar status. He's obviously lost the plot as a result. But at the end of the day, just as much as Eric, I believe Perry wants the best for Jane's. He just doesn't get it anymore.

Pandemonium

#28 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:09 am

Tyler Durden wrote:That's why I find it so irritating when they try to sell this new album in interviews. Either they are full of shit or it makes you wonder what their problem was during the reunion with Eric. Maybe Dave and Stephen were too scared to side with Eric, for fear of Perry's hissy fits. :banghead:
Well yeah, Eric was a problem because he directly "threatened" Perry as a creative and guiding force in the band when he rejoined. But when you get right down to it, the past 15+ years Janes is solely Perry's band. Dave and Stephen weren't going to risk busting up the band (again) siding with Eric who they probably (correctly) figured wasn't long for the band even before the NINJA tour started. Panic Channel cured them of that itch.

And Perry is always the petulant reactionary, so once it was clear and public why Eric left the band, Perry has since done everything he can to counter all the things Eric complained about. Thus, the band has recorded a new album and Perry stopped dressing and acting like Liberace Mercury on stage.

And of course, Perry tops it all by recording yet another "Fuck Eric" song.

Tyler Durden

#29 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:13 am

Pandemonium wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:That's why I find it so irritating when they try to sell this new album in interviews. Either they are full of shit or it makes you wonder what their problem was during the reunion with Eric. Maybe Dave and Stephen were too scared to side with Eric, for fear of Perry's hissy fits. :banghead:
Well yeah, Eric was a problem because he directly "threatened" Perry as a creative and guiding force in the band when he rejoined. But when you get right down to it, the past 15+ years Janes is solely Perry's band. Dave and Stephen weren't going to risk busting up the band (again) siding with Eric who they probably (correctly) figured wasn't long for the band even before the NINJA tour started. Panic Channel cured them of that itch.

And Perry is always the petulant reactionary, so once it was clear and public why Eric left the band, Perry has since done everything he can to counter all the things Eric complained about. Thus, the band has recorded a new album and Perry stopped dressing and acting like Liberace Mercury on stage.

And of course, Perry tops it all by recording yet another "Fuck Eric" song.
Drama queens.

sonny

#30 Post by sonny » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:01 am

hokahey wrote:
Here's how I see it:

Based on my interactions with people around the band in 2004 when they broke up - Stephen and Dave wanted to be a world class arena rock band and thought they didn't need Perry (sound familiar?). Prior to 2001 Jane's reunion, Stephen was selling his own autographed stuff on Ebay for a quick buck. As it was explained to me, Jane's was offered a million, 250K each to play the inaugural Coachella in '99. Perry turned it down and the rest of the band, especially Perk, was livid. They wanted the money.

Keep in mind, these are stories told to me to make Perry look bad. I don't think it dawned on anyone it made the other guys look like they cared more about money than Jane's.

When Perry began hampering their ability to make some cash by being flaky and focusing on Lolla in 04, they jumped ship and tried to land a radio friendly singer so they could become a mainstream, big money band. We all know what happened next. I stopped having any contact with these guys after 2005, so I can't say with any confidence what the mentality has been since.

I would guess that Perk and Dave know where their bread is buttered and have conceded more authority back to Perry to ensure the Jane's machine keeps running.

Perry always has Lolla.

I suppose you could argue that Dave has all of his side gigs, but Jane's keeps him in the spotlight to land those gigs. I think more than anything Dave is motivated by stardom and Jane's is what ultimately keeps that star burning.

At the end of the day, Perry was always well intentioned in regards to Jane's. But he has certain influences that I believe pressure him to maintain his rockstar status. He's obviously lost the plot as a result. But at the end of the day, just as much as Eric, I believe Perry wants the best for Jane's. He just doesn't get it anymore.
here's the truth, from dave navarro's mouth. i started talking to dave in 2004.

dave, stephen, and chris chaney wanted to record new material. perry wanted to release "the riches" as a single, i might have the song wrong, and work on lollapalooza. those 3 were communicating through management to perry, not face to face, because they had already had it out while on tour with perry and weren't friendly. they still aren't friendly, just watch the interview with perry and stephen.

so dave, stephen, and chaney are writing new songs while perry is doing whatever and it's clear they can't agree on the next move for jane's addiction. riss, dave's manager suggested they work with her boyrfriend steve isaacs on music for soundtracks or other avenues, not a band. they could do this while perry worked on lollapalooza, etc.

so they did that and it worked very well. this was spring 2004. the 2004 lollapalooza was a traveling 2 day event. a huge undertaking for perry and this was before the great management team was in place that runs it in chicago now, so it was a mess.

so after trying to get in touch with perry between around march or 2004 and june 2004 and getting no response, dave made the post he made about jane's addiction ending. this blindsided perry and he took great offense, considering the timing of the announcement and the cancelation of lollapalooza that year.

by this time the panic channel, then still unnamed had decided they had enough material to make an album and were already talking to some record companies by that fall and there was a lot of excitement around that crew.

i don't think it was ever, lets replace perry and we'll be bigger than aerosmith. they aren't idiots. i just think it was the same case as eric avery quitting. it gets to a point where perry is not responding to you and you have to just do something. poor communication at it's best.

i think dave particularly just wanted a rock/alternative band that he could have more control of, it didn't matter if they were making 6 figures every night, it was more about frustration with the direction of jane's addiction.

i think dave has relented the decision making to perry, as long as he can have a big part of the studio jane's addiction. from what i can tell, dave was one of the few band members who was there everyday to work on the great escape artist. this record feels much more like dave's record, than anyone else in the band.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#31 Post by Hokahey » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:20 am

sonny wrote:
hokahey wrote:
Here's how I see it:

Perry always has Lolla.

dave, stephen, and chris chaney wanted to record new material. perry wanted to release "the riches" as a single, i might have the song wrong, and work on lollapalooza. those 3 were communicating through management to perry, not face to face, because they had already had it out while on tour with perry and weren't friendly. they still aren't friendly, just watch the interview with perry and stephen.

so dave, stephen, and chaney are writing new songs while perry is doing whatever and it's clear they can't agree on the next move for jane's addiction. riss, dave's manager suggested they work with her boyrfriend steve isaacs on music for soundtracks or other avenues, not a band. they could do this while perry worked on lollapalooza, etc.

so they did that and it worked very well. this was spring 2004. the 2004 lollapalooza was a traveling 2 day event. a huge undertaking for perry and this was before the great management team was in place that runs it in chicago now, so it was a mess.

so after trying to get in touch with perry between around march or 2004 and june 2004 and getting no response, dave made the post he made about jane's addiction ending. this blindsided perry and he took great offense, considering the timing of the announcement and the cancelation of lollapalooza that year.

by this time the panic channel, then still unnamed had decided they had enough material to make an album and were already talking to some record companies by that fall and there was a lot of excitement around that crew.

i don't think it was ever, lets replace perry and we'll be bigger than aerosmith. they aren't idiots. i just think it was the same case as eric avery quitting. it gets to a point where perry is not responding to you and you have to just do something. poor communication at it's best.

i think dave particularly just wanted a rock/alternative band that he could have more control of, it didn't matter if they were making 6 figures every night, it was more about frustration with the direction of jane's addiction.

i think dave has relented the decision making to perry, as long as he can have a big part of the studio jane's addiction. from what i can tell, dave was one of the few band members who was there everyday to work on the great escape artist. this record feels much more like dave's record, than anyone else in the band.
I suppose there's room for both truths. But don't discount what the people around them were saying just because you heard fluff from Dave. What's Dave gonna say? He wouldn't want to look bad.

Tyler Durden

#32 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:36 am

sonny wrote:this record feels much more like dave's record, than anyone else in the band.
Much like Strays seemed to feel.

sonny

#33 Post by sonny » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:01 pm

hokahey wrote:
sonny wrote:
hokahey wrote:
Here's how I see it:

Perry always has Lolla.

I suppose there's room for both truths. But don't discount what the people around them were saying just because you heard fluff from Dave. What's Dave gonna say? He wouldn't want to look bad.
i trust dave over mike the retired cop, who was hardly a close friend to stephen. he opined about many things to me as well and was wrong more often than not. so yeah, i discount everything he said.

sonny

#34 Post by sonny » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:02 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
sonny wrote:this record feels much more like dave's record, than anyone else in the band.
Much like Strays seemed to feel.
not to me. strays is a rock record, but i don't think it's because of dave. i think martyn, perry, and chaney are all over that record, even more so than dave.

what i'm referring to there is not necessarily the sound of the songs coming out, but just the work i see him doing on the new record.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#35 Post by Hokahey » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:08 pm

sonny wrote:
hokahey wrote:
sonny wrote:
hokahey wrote:
Here's how I see it:

Perry always has Lolla.

i trust dave over mike the retired cop, who was hardly a close friend to stephen. he opined about many things to me as well and was wrong more often than not. so yeah, i discount everything he said.
I don't even know who the hell Mike the retired cop is. :lolol:

I did talk to a friend of Stephens, but I dont remember his name being Mike. And even if it is the same person, they were best friends. Stephen personally sent me a box full of memorabilia as a result of knowing this gentleman, got me backstage at the KC show in '94 where I hung out with Stephen and talked to him about his friend.

Add to that the directors of Three Days, one of whom made a feature length documentary with Stephen, and I'd say I had decent sources.

creep
Site Admin

#36 Post by creep » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:13 pm

hokahey wrote:

I did talk to a friend of Stephens, but I dont remember his name being Mike. And even if it is the same person, they were best friends. Stephen personally sent me a box full of memorabilia as a result of knowing this gentleman, got me backstage at the KC show in '94 where I hung out with Stephen and talked to him about his friend.

Add to that the directors of Three Days, one of whom made a feature length documentary with Stephen, and I'd say I had decent sources.
maybe matt? when i met the guy he looked too fat to be a cop. weird guy...asked me if i wanted some drumsticks but insisted on talking to me on the phone first. talked about how close he was with stephen?? didn't he sell the mt baldy video too?

Hokahey
Site Admin

#37 Post by Hokahey » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:18 pm

creep wrote:
hokahey wrote:

maybe matt? when i met the guy he looked too fat to be a cop. weird guy...asked me if i wanted some drumsticks but insisted on talking to me on the phone first. talked about how close he was with stephen?? didn't he sell the mt baldy video too?
Yeah, it was Matt.

Never met him. But I know when I met Stephen with the passes Matt got me he sure knew who he was.

sonny

#38 Post by sonny » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:20 pm

creep wrote:
hokahey wrote:

chris and matt both (thanks for the correct name creep) were selling stephen's stuff. helping him out. i think matt lived close to stephen. but he spoke for stephen way too often and gave it completely incorrect information.

matt is the only source i am calling out as not credible. well, and etty, when it comes to things other than perry. :lol:

matt was a retired cop who was friends with stephen, i doubt very seriously they were best friends as you describe considering how many things he had wrong about stephen and jane's addiction.

it's a moot argument really. i know what i was told and i have a brain that is able to put the pieces together in a sensible way. i don't think anyone including isaacs ever thought the panic channel was gonna take the place of jane's addiction or be as big or bigger. at best, they might've shot for velvet revolver status, but they weren't making anything other than radio friendly alterna/rock and everyone involved knew this.