Interesting post by Eric

#1 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:16 pm

An article Eric posted on FB/Twitter

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/feature/14 ... ffliction/

JOEinPHX

Re: Interesting post by Eric

#2 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:59 pm

i find this article very strange.

It contains alot of info we have previously read about, but in the context that the writer was actually there to see it firsthand. (seriously, the person was right next to Keidis/Forrest when the "why do we bother?" quote was uttered? i call bullshit)

Sounds to me like someone is being the ultimate hipster. "i was there, and they were better before they made records" Yeah? Fuck you.

Japhy

#3 Post by Japhy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:07 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:i find this article very strange.

It contains alot of info we have previously read about, but in the context that the writer was actually there to see it firsthand. (seriously, the person was right next to Keidis/Forrest when the "why do we bother?" quote was uttered? i call bullshit)

Sounds to me like someone is being the ultimate hipster. "i was there, and they were better before they made records" Yeah? Fuck you.
You know what? I read it exactly the same way... i even thought "hipster". BUT, if EA posted it himself, there must be some element of truth... such as the part about this guy being asked to be the singer. Anyway, it's left me 50/50... part sad because it can't be what i still want it to be, part "bullshit".

All that aside, Perry looks pretty good in that photo at the top of the article. Perk looks fucking hilarious...

Japhy

#4 Post by Japhy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:46 pm

Bandit72 wrote:An article Eric posted on Twitter
And on that note, i've just started following you on the old twitter pal. At least you're Villa and not Brum...!

Tyler Durden

#5 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:59 pm

Japhy wrote:
All that aside, Perry looks pretty good in that photo at the top of the article. Perk looks fucking hilarious...
The pic is from the Strays era (for anyone wondering).

Japhy

#6 Post by Japhy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:06 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
Japhy wrote:
The pic is from the Strays era (for anyone wondering).
Cheers mate... i hadn't realised that. Fuck, Perry's looked pretty old for some time now hasn't he?! Now i look at it again and clock Dave, it's obvious that it's from the '03 period.

Bandit72

#7 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:14 pm

Japhy wrote:
Bandit72 wrote:An article Eric posted on Twitter
And on that note, i've just started following you on the old twitter pal. At least you're Villa and not Brum...!
Haha! Nice one. Re-follow!

Hokahey
Site Admin

#8 Post by Hokahey » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:29 pm

I found it fascinating that Rick Rubin was ready to sign them without Perry before NS even came out, and that they were ready to do it. Sort of a precursor to what led to Deconstuction on American.

Japhy

#9 Post by Japhy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:41 pm

hokahey wrote:I found it fascinating that Rick Rubin was ready to sign them without Perry before NS even came out, and that they were ready to do it. Sort of a precursor to what led to Deconstuction on American.
Yep, that's the part i thought was really interesting too... especially given that Perry was cool as fuck Perry back then. Taking the other 3 just shows how much talent those guys have. Man, I get the impression that Perry's circle of "true" friends must be really bloody small. Kind of hard to digest when i've had him on a pedestal for like ever.

Plus, I know we've all seen it before but how great is that clip of PF speaking... always dug that.

Pandemonium

#10 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:08 pm

I think there's a bit of bullshit I-was-there claims snaked from the "Whores" book going on in his article but I do recall the writer's band Devine Weeks playing the LA club circuit right around when Janes and Guns n' Roses were just breaking big at the same time. I think they were a bit like early Janes to the point they even wore those dated Ramones/Dead Boys/NY-style stripped shirts like what Dave Navarro wore around '86-'87.

The writers' observations about how the 3 albums turned out (more polished than they should have been), especially in regards to the fact most of the bands material was already complete in demo form before they recorded "Nothing's Shocking" is spot-on though. Although I'd lay a fair amount of blame of the creative tank running dry to the increased drug consumption once they got signed by Warner Bros vs any sort of "corporate influence" being signed had on the guys.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#11 Post by Hokahey » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:16 pm

I have no issue with how the albums sounded. That music deserved the epic production it received. Up the Beach would not have sounded the same otherwise. There's nothing like turning NS on, cranking the volume up and letting that song stomp on your fucking face.

Pandemonium

#12 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:19 pm

hokahey wrote:I found it fascinating that Rick Rubin was ready to sign them without Perry before NS even came out, and that they were ready to do it. Sort of a precursor to what led to Deconstuction on American.
I remember an LA Times writer (might have been Robert Hilburn) reviewing NS when it was released and remarking how Perry's quirky vocals were the band's sole weak point, something I read in a few other music mags including local SoCal mag "BAM!". I would bet that Perry's rep as a "singer" and as a hard to deal with person among industry slugs looking for the next big band signing was of a similar shared opinion.

Rubin obviously shared that opinion in his first few years of starting up Def Jam Records and was looking to sign "alternative" bands he though would be the next big thing. I'm sure a post-Jane's album minus Perry looked attractive at the time but I bet Rubin shit his mess tent when he heard the finished album. In fact, he did sign Love and Rockets and The Jesus and Mary Chain (both who never fulfilled their early promise of being "the next big thing").

Pandemonium

#13 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:26 pm

hokahey wrote:I have no issue with how the albums sounded. That music deserved the epic production it received. Up the Beach would not have sounded the same otherwise. There's nothing like turning NS on, cranking the volume up and letting that song stomp on your fucking face.
I'm not a big fan of the production on NS. The drums and bass sound like someone has a pillow over the speakers. I think it's interesting that the production on both Warner Bros albums is done by Perry and Jerden but Ritual has a much more "live," natural sound that takes nothing away from the epic (where needed) sound on tunes like 3 Days.

creep
Site Admin

#14 Post by creep » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:32 pm

Pandemonium wrote: including local SoCal mag "BAM!".
:essence: BAM : bay area music. i used to love reading bam. they did many jane's stories.

Matz

#15 Post by Matz » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:03 pm

hokahey wrote:I have no issue with how the albums sounded. That music deserved the epic production it received. Up the Beach would not have sounded the same otherwise. There's nothing like turning NS on, cranking the volume up and letting that song stomp on your fucking face.
I agree. If you take a song like Ocean size none of the demos top the version on NS, not even close in my mind

MYXYLPLYX

#16 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:54 pm

creep wrote:
Pandemonium wrote: including local SoCal mag "BAM!".
:essence: BAM : bay area music. i used to love reading bam. they did many jane's stories.
:thumb: Beat me to it...

SR

#17 Post by SR » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:36 pm

Yeah, great to get lost for a moment in that. Miss em.

Pandemonium

#18 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:18 pm

I've got a small stack of BAM mags I kept that featured articles on favorite artists dating back to around 1980 in a big box with some other key issues of Rolling Stone and Brit metal mag Kerrang. I'm sure I have at least a couple cover articles featuring Janes in there.

Matov

#19 Post by Matov » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:31 pm

i say go check the comments on Eric's FB post for a little dead (only to us)-blow me line magic. Both him and casey sharing tiny stories of old.
Casey Niccoli wrote:they rehearsed at Perry & Eric's house in the garage that was converted to be somewhat sound proofed! That is where ALL the great Jane's songs were worked out... Also Perry and Eric would do a lot of acoustic rehearsals upstairs in mine and Perry's living quarters...
Eric Avery wrote:a little cool backstory. the night in '86 when perry did the heroic bar top run. he told me he would do that before the show to convince me to play it. i wanted to walk without playing because the club kicked out all my underage friends that i had let in through the back door. perry was consistently heroic back then. none better.
i know i've read Eric's story, maybe in Whores, maybe at Xiola; not sure i'd ever heard Casey's. Still cool as hell having them both on a same post, on the same page, talking about how cool JA 1.0 was :ns: :eric: :perk: :dave1: :perry: :rockon:

JOEinPHX

#20 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:49 am

The irony is that they probably took the stance of "No way! We're a band and we stick together!" At which points Perry signed on the dotted line and promptly proclaimed "This is MY band and you do what i say!"

Their loyalty to Perry lead to Perry fucking them. Nice guy.

Jasper

#21 Post by Jasper » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:04 am

A thing I've always wondered was whether Eric hated Of Course or not. The story is that he refused to come into the studio to put down the bass that day, opting to go surfing instead, resulting in a studio musician doing the bass. It was never clear what the reason was, but given the band's interpersonal problems, it could have been any number of things.

The interesting thing is that EA reported (in sonny's interviews with him) that he'd made an unsuccessful attempt to get the band to rehearse the song for inclusion in NINJA sets.

It always bugged me that EA didn't play on the studio version, as I really love that song. Luckily he's on the equally good live version from the Irvine Lolla.

Maybe he hated the song initially, but came to appreciate it later. Maybe he never hated it. Maybe he was ambivalent. This article hasn't cleared that up, because, despite EA posting it, I don't assume that he agrees 100% with every tiny detail.

Bandit72

#22 Post by Bandit72 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:50 am

Jasper wrote:A thing I've always wondered was whether Eric hated Of Course or not. The story is that he refused to come into the studio to put down the bass that day, opting to go surfing instead, resulting in a studio musician doing the bass. It was never clear what the reason was, but given the band's interpersonal problems, it could have been any number of things.

The interesting thing is that EA reported (in sonny's interviews with him) that he'd made an unsuccessful attempt to get the band to rehearse the song for inclusion in NINJA sets.
Yeh, I thought that was weird too. For the NINJA tour he wanted to play the piano in the song I think I remember him saying.

Jasper

#23 Post by Jasper » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:54 am

Bandit72 wrote:
Jasper wrote:A thing I've always wondered was whether Eric hated Of Course or not. The story is that he refused to come into the studio to put down the bass that day, opting to go surfing instead, resulting in a studio musician doing the bass. It was never clear what the reason was, but given the band's interpersonal problems, it could have been any number of things.

Yeh, I thought that was weird too. For the NINJA tour he wanted to play the piano in the song I think I remember him saying.
Yeah, he wanted to do some kind of Kurt Weill version. Would have been awesome. :crying: Imagine all that could have been...

Juana

#24 Post by Juana » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:22 am

It's a good post, because I feel that Eric thought he lost his buddy to the industry, no matter the other things.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#25 Post by Hokahey » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:57 am

Jasper wrote:
Bandit72 wrote:

:crying: Imagine all that could have been...
Yes! I would have loved to have heard that version. Too bad the rest of those guys lack any balls.